VOGONS

Lets see if Anything Is good.

Topic actions

First post, by Nottah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nottah back with some hardware questions.

Intro post was wordy.. probably a bit TL;DR , but this post should be a bit more interesting.

I was looking for a old sidewinder to play Mechwarrior and Tie Fighter on my Pavilion, and found a guy on craigslist selling two of them, one for 10 and two for 15. Yeah I bought both!

I mentioned I was looking for old hardware for some vintage gaming and he said he had some old pc's he could get rid of. So get this, he said i could pay what I want. I mean its for pc's without Harddrives of course 😜. I decided it would be a better chance to take these than any ebay system I could find for similar money So I Gave the guy a 100 dollars, then helped him remove the harddrives.

So I get them home and start tearing them down and here is what I have.

Mother Boards. 1) Micron/BCM DR737 Slot 1 System Board W/ SL2U7 PII 450MHz CPU, Hard to find info on this board. I think it may have had a bad bios flash, still need to tinker with it. The only problem I would have if I get it working is the limited upgrade slots. 2 pci and one isa with no agp. However it does have a supersweet ESS Maestro-2m ES1968ms on board sound with a gameport 😀 Is that dos compatible? the video is a Nvidia Riva128zx.

2)L7VTA this looks good for a late 98 build and/or WinXp. Athlon XP 2100+ and looks to be 768 megs of ram? 3 256 megs sticks i suppose. Also came with a PNY Verto Geforce 6800 128mb agp card.

3) this guys is promising. A SD11 motherboard. Dont know if its good, but with (5) pci (1)agp and a ISA slot...sweet bejeebus. Thats a good amount of territory to conquer. The case has an ITT 2000 Plush sticker on it, could be the company who makes it I suppose. Looks to be the AMD Athlon 900 mhz ( pluto , k75 according to everest) and 512 megs of ram. 2 128 sticks and a 256 stick all seem to be pc100. Did all older pc's have only 3 ram banks in the 98 era? the only problem I had when I tried it out was my sidewinder pro didnt get recognized, may be to fast of a system?

I actually scored another pavilion from him, its a HP Pavilion 6470z . Now if I use this, its definitly going into another case..They really believed in making these things compaq.. err compact. And its the shelf model with a p2 400 96 megs of ram and the zipdrive, what interesting is it has agp, 4 pci slots and an ISA. definitly not to shabby, how ever the combo modem/soundcard will have to go. I had the hardest time in the other pavilion with Riptide Units.

In Ram we have 1) 3 sticks of 256mb ddr - 266 mhz
2) 2 sticks of 256mb ddr - pc2700
3) 3 sticks of 256mg ddr - 333mhz
4) 5 sticks of 64mb pc100
5) 1 stick of128 pc100
So only memory options are the pc100 for the older systems, the L7VTA can use the ddr I think.

In Sound Cards I am sorry to say no ISA love. Still will have to to ebay on that. I do how ever have the pci cards that came with the systems.
1) two riptide combo units in the Pavilions. If they can pull their weight in dos and windows, they may stay in their respected systems. Long shot probably.
2) (1) AW724 soundcard. I just looked at the part number and noticed it has decent stuff. You sound buffs let me know if its a keeper.
Model:AW724
Bus Type: PCI
Audio Processor: YAMAHA YMF724-F
Wavetable Synthesizer: Hardware
Stereo Mixer/Recorder/MIDI Support: YES/YES/YES
Internal Modem Connector: YES

3) 1 Soundblaster live model SB0220
1 Soundblaster Live model ct4780
4) 1 Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
In network cards we have
1) linksys lne100tx
2) Kingston kne100tx
3) realtek RNE something... its in the case 😜
4) 1 ISA 3com etherlink III 10mbs signaling rate.. whooaaa slow down there.
1 ISA 3com etherlink III - how ever this has a network jack,some kind of cable connection and what looks to be a 15pin female serial port?
also two usb cards, one is a 4+2 usb 2.0 pci card, and the other is a belkin 2+1 usb pci card.

Now the main thing that made it worth the 100 dollars.
the video cards...
First we have a S3 virge/dx pci card. Not shabby. good 2d from what I can gather for older systems.
next is two cards that I had to actually go online and look up part numbers.
A model:3dfx200 .. so Its a VOODOO2 pci card !! I was happy with that, I mean now I can experience the glide games in all its glory. the manufacturer says Best Data Products, inc with ArcadeFx2 underneath it. Cant find much info at all besides its a voodoo2. If anyone could point me in the right direction for this cards info, let me know.
And without further ado...
I couldnt find any identifying marks besides the 3dfx chips on this, so I looked up the part number 210-0413-001.. here is a pic from Falconfly
Voodoo5_5500_AGP.jpg
Yes, yes yes.. Its a voodoo5 5500 agp 2x 64mb beast! that was worth the 100 dollars for all the systems right there.

So after saving the best for last, help me use what I have to make a decent win98se system. I may still need to get some kinda soundcard for my ISA slot.
One question I do have, the voodoo5 does its own glide correct? Do I really need to put the voodoo2 in with it and use the passthru cable (i don't have yet).

Reply 1 of 20, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A few 3dfx games look directly for the 2nd card (Xcar, EF2000, Whiplash/Fatal Racing) instead of Glide2x.ovl. So, if you're playing these, you'll need a Voodoo Graphics or Voodoo2.

Reply 2 of 20, by Nottah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

good to know ! I am sure I could probably find a list of games that look for the second card exclusively on here somewhere. This place is great for that kind of information from what I gather. I am hoping a few of you hardware guys will chime in with some ideas on what to put with what to make a decent system.

Reply 3 of 20, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I love those old 3com isa and pci cards, IIRC there are drivers in 9x for them already and they have great DOS drivers even. The Voodoo5 is an amazing score, that deserves a fast cpu so the Athlon xp would be a good fit. The ECS board lacks an ISA slot but either that Santa Cruz or AW724 would be a good pair with it. Try both out and see which one is more compatible and sounds best!

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4 of 20, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

V5 is a nice card 😀

I've got some benchmarks and you can see how much faster it is: http://www.philscomputerlab.com/3dfx-voodoo-s … ut-project.html

I don't have much experience with Athlon systems, sorry. But I know quite a bit about Slot 1 machines with BX440 chipsets and setting up and configuring a DOS and Windows 98 SE hybrid gaming beast 😀

You really want an ISA sound card. So many options so I won't discuss it to much detail. I always go with an AWE64 because they just work and do the job.

Will you be interested in MS-DOS at all? Because if not, a PCI sound card will do. And if you just play newer DOS games, an Aureal Vortex 2 PCI card has excellent DOS compatibility.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 5 of 20, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Congratulations! What an awesome find!

This card's main strength is rendering games from 1998-2000.

I recommend a good KT333 Board with a guaranteed AGP current of 3.3v. Otherwise the card will fry 🙁
Alternatively a good 440BX System with a Celeron 1400 😀

Reply 6 of 20, by Nottah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for the input!
I can throw a current gen system together with my eyes closed so assembling this old type setup Is a refreshing change.
I am thinking I will go with whatever sound option is good for both dos and win9x gaming If it seems that I stay more with the win9x side I may use the L7VTA board. Do I use the geforce 6800 in this board? Or maybe the voodoo 5. or if possible the geforce6800 with a passthru to the voodoo2?

So I do think I may run the SD11 due to the chance of utilizing the most slots (pci). My previous question however still doesn't seem to clear.
Do I run the voodoo5 with the voodoo2 with a pass through? Or does the voodoo 5 cover all bases for glide in dos and win9x?
Should I keep the ram at 512 or hit the 786 max?
I keep wondering if the dos legacy mode on the turtle beach santa cruz will suffice or maybe use the awe724. I think Ill try it out tonight as a test.
I am checking ebay out for a awe64, anything in particular I should be looking for?
The only issue I still have is the fact my sidewinders don't get detected on the SD11. From what research I can gather, it has to do with the bus speed, maybe?
I do however have a topgun fox 2 pro usb from thrustmaster, that seems to work fine for the windows games. Have yet to try in in the dos window of win98, and doubt I can get it working in real dos.

Please keep the recommendations coming.

And Phil, I love your site and tutorials. I most likely will be grabbing one of the floppy emulators you reviewed.
Have you did any videos or a writeup on using CF based storage on these old systems? I like the flexibility of flash storage.

Reply 7 of 20, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As far as sound cards for your ISA slot:

-Yamaha OPL3SAx -YMF-71x card; -- Excellent Sound Blaster and SB Pro 2 compatibility, MPU-401 UART and 44KHz Stereo capability;
-Pro Audio Spectrum Plus or 16; -- These have the Thunderboard chipset for Sound Blaster 2.0 compatibility.

Reply 9 of 20, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For 9x keep it at 512mb because you don't need any more and you have to mess around to get over that to work good. Is your Sidewinder the USB model or the gameport model btw? For whatever reason the motherboard may not like one or the other. That SD11 should be a great pair with that Voodoo5 😁 I am not sure if using the V2 with the Voodoo5 would be very straight forward. Looks like the ECS athlon xp board is only agp 4x and 8x so be wary and research the voltage before using the V5 with it (if you were to) thanks Arctic for pointing that out! I forgot all about agp voltages for a second there, I would keep the Geforce6800 in it and max out the cpu 😀 looks like it supports the 400fsb chips!

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 10 of 20, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hehe there are so many videos, easy to get lost 😀

Yes CF are great, also work fine for Windows 98 but writing performance is the weak spot. But then I use CF cards. But I prefer SATA drives. Decent CF cards aren't that cheap and a 500 GB SATA can be had for little. With a SATA to IDE adapter you are good to go.

But for gaming it works very well, no complaints 😀

Reply 11 of 20, by Nottah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On a whim I bought a sata to ide bidirectional adapter, think ill try it out this evening after work. I also think ill keep the voodoo5 in the sd11 board since it seems to work with no issues. The other ECS system maybe win9x gaming only. Still not sure. Hell, I may even turn the old Pavilion into a win95 beast 😀

As for the sidewinders they are identical Sidewinder 3d pro game port versions. Still bothers me I cant use them with the sd11 board. I keep researching.

This evening I'll grab a Monster (energy ambrosia of the gods) drink after work and make a night of putting it all together.
Do we recommend win98 over dos 6.22 or stick with the dos 7 that ships with my win98. I even have my windows Me upgrade disc, however I see a lot of negativity for that as a gaming os.

Reply 12 of 20, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Congrat's with the V5 card. Personally I would not go for a V5 at all. (GF4/FX5XXX is my choice for high-end gaming)
All in all... A great haul of hardware you got there.... Congrat's again. 😀

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 13 of 20, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nottah wrote:
On a whim I bought a sata to ide bidirectional adapter, think ill try it out this evening after work. I also think ill keep the […]
Show full quote

On a whim I bought a sata to ide bidirectional adapter, think ill try it out this evening after work. I also think ill keep the voodoo5 in the sd11 board since it seems to work with no issues. The other ECS system maybe win9x gaming only. Still not sure. Hell, I may even turn the old Pavilion into a win95 beast 😀

As for the sidewinders they are identical Sidewinder 3d pro game port versions. Still bothers me I cant use them with the sd11 board. I keep researching.

This evening I'll grab a Monster (energy ambrosia of the gods) drink after work and make a night of putting it all together.
Do we recommend win98 over dos 6.22 or stick with the dos 7 that ships with my win98. I even have my windows Me upgrade disc, however I see a lot of negativity for that as a gaming os.

stick with Win98 and the DOS that comes with it , try to make sure its Win98SE and youre good to go , WinME has its issues and won't do anything Windows 98SE won't do as far as games go.
heck with some unofficial service packs you can make Win98SE look just like WinME if you like the look of it (one of the things that did improve was the looks, WinME used the Win2000 theme)

Reply 15 of 20, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Darkman wrote:

stick with Win98 and the DOS that comes with it , try to make sure its Win98SE and youre good to go , WinME has its issues and won't do anything Windows 98SE won't do as far as games go.
heck with some unofficial service packs you can make Win98SE look just like WinME if you like the look of it (one of the things that did improve was the looks, WinME used the Win2000 theme)

me supports directx a little further to oct. 27, 08': http://www.falconfly.de/directx.htm

Though, a franken98me setup might be the way to go: http://www.mdgx.com/upd98me.php

Though #2, according to this: http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/i … formation/2098/ the last dx 9.0c, dated june 2010, supports 98se/me, so..

Reply 16 of 20, by Nottah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK almost got it together, however can't decide about the monitor? I have a 17inch mag crt or a couple of Samsung syncmasters also 17 inch but flat screen still 4:3 ratio. I seem to remember the flat screens seemed very bright unless I am doing something wrong. The CRT is huge and most likely would be better for the era of the hardware.. or will I notice to much of a difference.

Reply 17 of 20, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice that you have some CRT monitors!

Just try them out and use the one you think has the best picture 😀

I like the 1024 x 768 resolution. If you notice the 60 Hz flicker, set the refresh rate higher to 75 or 85.

Reply 19 of 20, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
awgamer wrote:
me supports directx a little further to oct. 27, 08': http://www.falconfly.de/directx.htm […]
Show full quote
Darkman wrote:

me supports directx a little further to oct. 27, 08': http://www.falconfly.de/directx.htm

Though, a franken98me setup might be the way to go: http://www.mdgx.com/upd98me.php

Though #2, according to this: http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/i … formation/2098/ the last dx 9.0c, dated june 2010, supports 98se/me, so..

sure, but in the context of the PC he is building , they are both the similar, with Win98SE having less issues.

I mean , if DX9 was the target, a different machine would be in order, and frankly I would have skipped Win9x for that purpose and gone with Win2k/XP.