VOGONS

First post, by Thirst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I'm trying to get my Aureal Vortex 2 to kindly send midi on to either my SC-88 or MU-80, but so far I'm getting nothing registering on the synth displays.

I'm running a PIII 1000 Mhz on an Asus CUSL2-C motherboard with 512 MB ram if that makes any kind of difference.

Initially it wouldn't even install the MPU-401 interface citing problems with the card not being in the primary PCI-slot. I did my diligence and found that apparently the Vortex 2 has issues with IRQ detection. Editing au30mmed.inf and disabling bus detection and then going to to BIOS and reserving IRQ 5 solved the issue and now the MPU-401 interface installed properly. However, I'm unable to get any kind of external midi sound. The internal wavetable works fine hower.

I would greatly appreciate any help you guys can offer.

EDIT: I should also mention that I'm looking to get external MIDI working in Windows 98 specifically (Final Fantasy VII with XG)

Reply 1 of 14, by Thirst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried a SB Live 5.1 instead and I'm having the same issues. Either I'm too daft to figure out how to get MPU-401 output in Win98 period, or there's an issue with my midi cable. The external synths work just fine on my W7 machine with a USB-Midi interface. Unfortunately I'm not finding drivers for a generic USB-Midi device under Win98, or I would just go that route for simplicity.

Reply 3 of 14, by Thirst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't have one unfortunately. It's probably about the same cost as getting a new Gameport -> Midi cable, but I'm not convinced that the cable is the problem. Doesn't seem like a thing that would outright break.

Tempted to get a Roland UM-1 USB-Midi device (that has Win98 drivers) and bypass the soundcard completely, but they run a bit steep, and I'll be SOL if that doesn't end up solving the issue either.

Reply 4 of 14, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you put the Live! on your W7 machine? With something like kXdrivers you should be able to use it on machines with more than 2GB and test the Gameport->MIDI cable.

Reply 6 of 14, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So you want to connect a Vortex 2 with a joystick to MIDI cable to a MIDI device?

Hmm I could test this but if I remember the driver hat a setting for this. Did you change this?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7 of 14, by Thirst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would appreciate that a lot!

Yes that's correct. I have one that looks a lot like this http://b.scdn.gr/images/sku_main_images/00319 … 697973-orig.jpg Mine only has one of the gameport ends though, but on the back there's a female connector for adding a joystick. I have the cable marked "midi out" in the "in A" port on the SC-88. I also have an MT-32, and MU80 to test with if that helps.

No, I wasn't aware there was a way to fiddle with the driver for the Vortex. Is that a ini-file config setting?

Reply 8 of 14, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok uninstall your drivers, then grab these ones. They are considered to be the "best" ones.

There are various ones inside the zip file. Through editing the INI files you can get around the PCI issue that you had but can also disable MPU401 and Sound Blaster as some just want the Vortex 2 or use it in combination with another card.

Get the one that only fixed the PCI issue.

As for setting the MIDI to the external MPU401 follow these screens here. And as always. MIDI OUT from the joystick port goes to MIDI in on the MIDI unit.

EDIT: Sorry these are for MS-DOS! Look below for Windows.

zTysdSM.png

cpy6dou.png

DAQXboD.png

Change it here and now the it should work. Tried it on my SC-55 and works great 😀

tg0Aq2J.png

kWqmzHK.png

Reply 9 of 14, by Thirst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Phil!

Great work! Thank you 😀 I think you managed to edit out the link to the drivers though.

EDIT: Are the drivers you used the ones listed as "latest reference drivers" on your website?

Reply 10 of 14, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Thirst wrote:

Hi Phil!

Great work! Thank you 😀 I think you managed to edit out the link to the drivers though.

EDIT: Are the drivers you used the ones listed as "latest reference drivers" on your website?

Thanks for reminding me to add them 😊

On my site are the 2048 drivers, the last ones. But everyone tells me the 2041 are the best ones to use so I started using them.

Want to do a proper write up / review on these cards but time is against me 😵

Reply 11 of 14, by Thirst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No dice unfortunately 😒

Seems the cable is a no-go. I'm running the 2041 drivers and adjusted the midi out to use the MPU-401 interface both in the Multimedia settings and in the Aureal software like illustrated.

I'll see if I can find another gameport-midi cable for cheap and try that instead. I don't see what else could be the problem. I'm running identical settings to what you are.

Thanks anyway for having a look Phil. I appreciate it.

EDIT: Random though, it couldn't be that the card is trying to output through the daughterboard header instead? I don't have anything plugged in there though, so that seems unlikely.

Reply 12 of 14, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it outputs through both.

But if you set it to Aureal wavetable, the music should come out from the headphone port. It sounds quite nice actually.

Reply 14 of 14, by Thirst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm happy to report that midi works great now with the new midi/gameport cable I ordered. I guess that old one was simply busted.

On a related note, I'm getting some pops and slight crackle in digital audio with a3d wavetracing turned on, most notably in Deus Ex. I read somewhere that it might be an IRQ conflict, but I haven't been able to find one. I'll keep looking.