VOGONS

Best video card for Pentium III 450Mhz

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 108, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which is why you should just use a better API. If the developers of the game don't support it then whatever, probably sucks anyway and the frame rate will for sure so the answer is; don't play that game. The developers won't get my money... Or at least, they wouldn't if this was still 1998.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 41 of 108, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Uprising I and II its only been the last couple versions of Nglide where the UI isn't messed up.
I don't think there is another wrapper that can play those 2 games either, and still be fast enough on a PII-450.
Those 2 games are why I keep a V2 in alot of my builds.
They only support glide or software rendering, and the software mode looks pretty bad.
The first one is one of my favorite games of all time, next to Tiefighter.

Reply 42 of 108, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know fanatics makes unreliable friends, I won't glorify 3dfx too much, on the market where also good choice apart from defuncted company products. In fact, 3dfx has its heyday in '90 and actually voodoo cards never let me down. The most popular games where been widely supported by drivers, wrappers etc. 450Mhz is good enough to back in time with favoirite graphics choice

Godlike!

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 43 of 108, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HighTreason wrote:

Which is why you should just use a better API. If the developers of the game don't support it then whatever, probably sucks anyway and the frame rate will for sure so the answer is; don't play that game. The developers won't get my money... Or at least, they wouldn't if this was still 1998.

Ok so you intentionally avoid using Glide then? Are you aware that Direct3D was terrible in the late '90s and that OpenGL was very difficult to support since it was not really meant to be used for consumer game graphics and associated low cost hardware?

Reply 44 of 108, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:
HighTreason wrote:

Ok so you intentionally avoid using Glide then? Are you aware that Direct3D was terrible in the late '90s and that OpenGL was very difficult to support since it was not really meant to be used for consumer game graphics and associated low cost hardware?

Anyone can donate Canopus SLI + SPECTRA 2500 to me? please 😉

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 45 of 108, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

You do know we're talking about games and systems from the 1990's right? Retro? Are you following this at all? Glide? does it mean anything?

Reply 46 of 108, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:
HighTreason wrote:

All three solutions were awful back then. But GL was there for professional tasks, D3D was there for games. They simply ran better and had superior hardware available at a lower price point. Which is probably why everyone used them and 3DFX isn't around anymore. Anybody that ever saw any alternative to Direct3D on the Windows platform was very short sighted in my opinion.

Reply 47 of 108, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HighTreason wrote:
swaaye wrote:
HighTreason wrote:

All three solutions were awful back then. But GL was there for professional tasks, D3D was there for games. They simply ran better and had superior hardware available at a lower price point. Which is probably why everyone used them and 3DFX isn't around anymore. Anybody that ever saw any alternative to Direct3D on the Windows platform was very short sighted in my opinion.

Prologue: Looks like someone mixed with the shadows, hmm, nevermind it's just a wind.
Act one: Dusk, large room, cards on the table, fervent debate.
Act two: Large room, still dusk, zoom on conversation plan, debate.
Act three: Camera still, API debate, commotion
Act four: Zoom out, people shouting, "Where all the 3dfx cards gone!?"
Act five: Music, wind, Godlike!
Epilogue: A friend in need is a real friend indeed

Godlike!

5xv2YSm.png

Reply 48 of 108, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HighTreason wrote:

3dfx dominated from 1996-1999. They sold tons of hardware because their hardware actually delivered on its performance promises. Their market penetration caused most game companies to support Glide. So they ruled for awhile.

When they were unable to develop anything more than Voodoo derivatives, the competition eventually surpassed them. Primarily NVIDIA and ATI. It wasn't until 1999-2000 though.

Reply 49 of 108, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:
swaaye wrote:
HighTreason wrote:

Awful back then? No way. Glide was awesome for the day, and still is now. Are you saying it wasn't? Is that your point?

Reply 50 of 108, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have any reading comprehension? Are you blind?

Glide was awful. It was slow, had limited capabilities and was very poorly implemented, not to mention the hardware with which it was associated which was terrible on almost every level and cost a fortune.

Reply 51 of 108, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know what to say other than you are confused on my aspects and should perhaps take a look around and wonder why so many people preferred 3dfx at the time...

Reply 52 of 108, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

...lives in another dimension...

Yet none of you have presented me with a single fact to the contrary of what I have presented here.

Facts are facts, simple as that. The cards sucked and so did the API they used and history reflects this, that is simply the way things are. Sorry.

Edit:
Want another one? Nobody preferred 3DFX back in the day, which is why nVidia and ATi cards are more common. In fact, 3DFX were regarded as a joke in most circles. Plus OEMs flat refused to use them.

> 1998
> Still using PCI
> Still not single chip
> Still 128x128 textures
> Still needs a 2D card

Yeah, right. What a joke.

Last edited by HighTreason on 2015-02-06, 00:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 53 of 108, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HighTreason wrote:

Yet none of you have presented me with a single fact to the contrary of what I have presented here.

Facts are facts, simple as that. The cards sucked and so did the API they used and history reflects this, that is simply the way things are.

We have all tried to explain things to you. I am not really sure how anyone would change your mind on this subject at this point in time. Your stance simply doesn't make sense. It's delusional. Maybe you simply don't remember right or don't have enough exposure to the games and hardware. I have no idea.

Reply 54 of 108, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is pointless to continue this crap. The truth is the only one. And we know it from long ago.
- The ancient scroll of computing

PS: If glide was ugly then how voodoo line conquer 85% of graphics market? Is it some kind of magic or was really good?
Goodlike!

5xv2YSm.png

Reply 55 of 108, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Swaaye; I think you need to take off those rose tinted goggles... Or stop smoking crack, whichever is relevant. I sure hope it's the former.

@Godlike; News to me. If that were true, 3DFX cards would be abundant, they simply aren't and this was aided by the fact that you required another manufacturers card to use it in the first place... Unless you bought a Voodoo Rushed which performed worse than the original Voodoo, or a Banshee which was pointless because nVidia had long since murdered them by that point.

Whatever, I rest my case. I've said what I have to say and you have failed to provide evidence to the contrary. My closing notes are this;
Go hang out with a bunch of old sceners and try this 3DFX crap, you'll get laughed out of there pretty fast, nobody used it over there and like it or not, those guys were the pioneers... Not so much these days, but back then, yes.

Reply 56 of 108, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HighTreason wrote:
@Swaaye; I think you need to take off those rose tinted goggles... Or stop smoking crack, whichever is relevant. I sure hope it' […]
Show full quote

@Swaaye; I think you need to take off those rose tinted goggles... Or stop smoking crack, whichever is relevant. I sure hope it's the former.

@Godlike; News to me. If that were true, 3DFX cards would be abundant, they simply aren't and this was aided by the fact that you required another manufacturers card to use it in the first place... Unless you bought a Voodoo Rushed which performed worse than the original Voodoo, or a Banshee which was pointless because nVidia had long since murdered them by that point.

Whatever, I rest my case. I've said what I have to say and you have failed to provide evidence to the contrary. My closing notes are this;
Go hang out with a bunch of old sceners and try this 3DFX crap, you'll get laughed out of there pretty fast, nobody used it over there and like it or not, those guys were the pioneers... Not so much these days, but back then, yes.

Life is beautiful. Everyone has it's own opinion about everything. Is good sometimes to listen to other, this gives a better imagination and knowledge. If this will change and people start thinking the same way there will be no GPU manufacturer choice! I will leave it like that. Even when something can never back 😢

5xv2YSm.png

Reply 57 of 108, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HighTreason - how old are you? "rest your case"? Seriously? You've said nothing that tells us you actually have any idea what you are taking about. Okay, so you've heard that 3D was a tumultuous time back in the old days and Glide lost out. But it sucks? I don't think you were there. This is VOGONS do you understand we are into "old games"'? Take your rap somewhere else.

Last edited by tincup on 2015-02-06, 01:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 58 of 108, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which means you have failed to do your research... And you expect me to take your nonsense seriously? It's just as well I didn't I suppose.

Reply 59 of 108, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Research? What are you talking about? We work on running old games here, and many of them are Glide games. I hate to say it, but you're in the wrong forum my friend.