VOGONS

Mac OS X - minimum useable system ?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 37, by dank0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can see that you really don't know what are you talking about.
- You will create boot USB with clover boot, use short command line to boot your Install.
- Install the OS X,
- Reboot and Get into OS X,
- from the USB install Clover boot into your HDD,
- Download Multibeast (package with all needed drivers) Install Devices like USB3 support, Sound etc.
- Reboot and you are done.

http://www.rampagedev.com/?page_id=234

No editing Kext required. In my case, I bought external USB sound card that support OS X with native drivers so I only installing FakeSMC.kext. Updates work like on normal Mac. The Hackintosh community really simplified the process and it is amazing how easy is to install almost on any Intel machine.

AMD K6-II 500, Nvidia TNT2 AGP, 256 MB RAM

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
•• WANTED: ROLAND SCP-55 ••

Reply 21 of 37, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dank0 wrote:
I can see that you really don't know what are you talking about. - You will create boot USB with clover boot, use short command […]
Show full quote

I can see that you really don't know what are you talking about.
- You will create boot USB with clover boot, use short command line to boot your Install.
- Install the OS X,
- Reboot and Get into OS X,
- from the USB install Clover boot into your HDD,
- Download Multibeast (package with all needed drivers) Install Devices like USB3 support, Sound etc.
- Reboot and you are done.

http://www.rampagedev.com/?page_id=234

No editing Kext required. In my case, I bought external USB sound card that support OS X with native drivers so I only installing FakeSMC.kext. Updates work like on normal Mac. The Hackintosh community really simplified the process and it is amazing how easy is to install almost on any Intel machine.

FTR, I know exactly what I'm talking about, thank you very much.

I'll just attribute that misunderstanding to English not being your first language.

You gloss over the kext hacking in the "Download Multibeast" step. Multibeast is just an automated utility that does all the driver and kext hacking to make things work smoothly. Of course I didn't mean that you need to edit kexts manually, but they DO need to be changed.

Yes, you are right, the Hackintosh community DID simplify the process. But that isn't the same thing as OSX being "fully compatible with any other HW with couple tweaks". It takes a LOT of modification to make OSX work 100% properly, but people have packaged it so you don't need to do it all manually.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 22 of 37, by dank0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well, as you can see even me with simple English can install difficult hack like OS X 😀

Reply 23 of 37, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dank0 wrote:

well, as you can see even me with simple English can install difficult hack like OS X 😀

For sure!

But that isn't because OSX "just works", it's because the Multibeast/TonyMac/community people have put in a lot of work and effort to package up all the modifications needed to make it run smoothly.

Reply 24 of 37, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

back on topic, please, and no belittling each other, please 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 25 of 37, by dank0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I never had any OS to run smoothly - you must always install drivers, tweak settings etc. And someone who is posting in a OLD DOS forum, must go through pretty decent config to get his old rig working properly. So I don't see any difference Install DOS with proper config/autoexec, memory optimization, drivers or installing OS X on PC.

Reply 26 of 37, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, you are right, the Hackintosh community DID simplify the process. But that isn't the same thing as OSX being "fully compatible with any other HW with couple tweaks". It takes a LOT of modification to make OSX work 100% properly, but people have packaged it so you don't need to do it all manually.

And...?

If it is a simplified process and it runs stable, then does it really matter how many mods are under the hood?

Reply 27 of 37, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At the risk of angering the mods...

dank0 wrote:

I never had any OS to run smoothly - you must always install drivers, tweak settings etc. And someone who is posting in a OLD DOS forum, must go through pretty decent config to get his old rig working properly. So I don't see any difference Install DOS with proper config/autoexec, memory optimization, drivers or installing OS X on PC.

You're right. However, you don't need to install a custom patched aftermarket bootloader to make Windows or DOS boot. You don't need modified drivers or custom kernel extensions to make Linux suspend and resume cleanly. That kind of thing.

smeezekitty wrote:

If it is a simplified process and it runs stable, then does it really matter how many mods are under the hood?

I don't know what you mean. Being able to hack and modify the OS to make it work is fine, I'm not saying it's "bad" or you shouldn't do it, but it's there.

I dislike that people (not just dank0) say it's "fully compatible", when one of the critical steps is installing a community-built custom boot loader (again, not a "bad" thing, but it's there). It's compatible, perhaps even "very" compatible, but I wouldn't say "fully" compatible.

Don't pay attention to me. I'm a horrible, pedantic person. 😵

Back to the OP's question now.

Reply 28 of 37, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm all for using a VM. Does anyone know if virtual box supports Mac OS X?
I was under the impression you couldn't run it in a vm, though, that Apple had the
OS look for a ROM or something to prevent this.

Reply 30 of 37, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

What's with all these knowledge from the 2006 era?

A modern virtualizer on modern hardware will run os x just fine.

i'm running OS X 10.5-10.8 on VMWare Fusion and they are a bit slower but not that much.

You are allowed to run OS X 10.7 and newer in a VM when this VM is running the same OS X (or something like that). I don't know whether the virtualizers enforce this on other platforms.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 31 of 37, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:
What's with all these knowledge from the 2006 era? […]
Show full quote

What's with all these knowledge from the 2006 era?

A modern virtualizer on modern hardware will run os x just fine.

i'm running OS X 10.5-10.8 on VMWare Fusion and they are a bit slower but not that much.

You are allowed to run OS X 10.7 and newer in a VM when this VM is running the same OS X (or something like that). I don't know whether the virtualizers enforce this on other platforms.

Virtualization will still be slower than running on older bare hardware. Graphics performance is especially poor

Reply 32 of 37, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, I did write it's a bit slower but not nearly as drastic as you described it.
And yes graphics performance is not that great but again not "poor". And keep in mind what the op intends...

Reply 33 of 37, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a pretty high-end card. As long as I'm not going below performance of say, the Geforce 9400 or 320M in the 2009 Macs that have better than Intel graphics, then I don't much care about the performance hit in virtualization. And I have 2 or 4 cores that I can dedicate just to the VM.

Can I pick up a copy of OS X (whatever the latest cat flavor is ) for $50 to $100 and run it in Virtualbox and be totally fine? Really all I want to do is be able to install to the vm and go. If that is a realistic option it will save me between $100 and $200.

Reply 34 of 37, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You know, I think for my purposes installing OS X in some sort of vm is probably the way to go, rather than get stuck with a piece of hardware that will be useless very quickly once Apple gets beyond a few more versions.
I will see about getting a copy of Snow Leopard and see how that goes.

Reply 35 of 37, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The VM will not have comparable performance because your host graphics card is not virtualized but some card is emulated. Contrary to VMs with Windows there is no accelaration you can enable ;(
But you can do normal stuff.

I wouldn't use VirtualBox though, it's said to have a bad performance compared to VMWare. And I wasn't too happy when I tested VMWare, Parallels and Virtualbox five years ago. But that's a long time ago 😉

As for getting the last OS X. That's gonna be tricky I think, especially the legal way. Perhaps you need to research that.
You could get Snow Leopard but that only runs in a VM through trickery. And then get Yosemite for free on the App Store. Because the App Store is the only place to get Mavericks and Yosemite. So I don't know and would need to google as well.

Reply 36 of 37, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣

Screw it, I'll just get the cheapest Mac mini I can find which also has a legal copy of the install DVD. That way at least I know it will work.

I just can't be arsed right now to deal with a bunch of nonsense.

I appreciate all the help/suggestions.

Reply 37 of 37, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

😉