VOGONS

First post, by BaronSFel001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried searching first but I could not find an exact match to my set of symptoms. First, the hard drive and CD-ROM drive are fine so let those be set aside. The problems come with getting the remaining media working together: 3.5" floppy drive, 5.25" floppy drive, and Zip 100 drive.

This is what I know for certain: the 3.5" drive and motherboard (mine is the AOpen AX6BC) floppy controller are good because using a single-connector floppy cable I can read and write floppies with no issue in both DOS and Windows. I also have to rule out wrong connection in my standard A:/B: 5-point floppy cable because I have tried all combinations and can tell when it is improper by the fact that the floppy drive lights stay continuously on. Finally, the fact that both A: and B: floppy drives are configurable in BIOS has to rule out any possibility that the motherboard does not support and A: and B: drive at the same time (I know support for that started dropping from motherboards but it had to have been years after 1997 which is the time mine comes from).

Here is my primary focus: no matter what connector/BIOS combination I implement, any attempt to get either floppy drive working only results in "Floppy drive(s) fail (40)" during the POST right after the IDE check, and the drives themselves do not make the distinctive "powering-on" sound that I would otherwise get from the 3.5" using the other cable. Could the cable itself be bad somehow, or is there a wild card to this equation?

That wild card may be the ZIP drive as it has behaved strangely ever since I installed it. While I consider difficulties with it a separate matter for now it is possible they may be related. Whenever I connect the ZIP to the IDE (I use it as Primary Slave) the BIOS has no trouble picking it up and identifying it as "IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI Floppy", but Windows 98 is inconsistent in both detecting its presence and identifying what it is; sometimes it will appear as either 3.5" Floppy or Removable Media but it ends up being assigned to drive A: or B: even if I have both floppy drives connected on the cable (having all three drives connected assigns the ZIP to A:, the 3.5" to D:, and does not pick up the 5.25" at all).

While I could not find a match to this problem in other threads I did find some indication that ZIP drives can be hostile in a setup trying to include floppy drives assigned to both A: and B:. I can handle the matters separately if they are reconcilable, but I am at my wit's end with getting the floppy drives by themselves working together and I hope it is as simple as replacing a faulty cable. Before investing in components any further I just wanted to ask for critique on this.

System 20: PIII 600, LAPC-I, AWE64, S220, Voodoo3, SQ2500, R200, 3.1-Me
System 21: G2030 3.0, X-fi Fatal1ty, GTX 560, XP-Vista
Retro gaming (among other subjects): https://baronsfel001.wixsite.com/my-site

Reply 1 of 8, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe this is of any help? Probably a master and slave problem.

A question about 3.5 floppy drive and a 5.25 floppy working together...

The last comment is about a thing i noticed myself a lot trough the years: with some cables it is not always clear how it goes on the drive (sometimes the connector needs to be plugged in upside down to get the pin 1 ''stripe'' in the right place. 5.25 connectors can be reversed too).

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 2 of 8, by BaronSFel001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The 5.25 floppy connection is a card edge with a split, something like AGP: physically impossible to get backwards. I had also verified that all jumpers are in their default position which means drive assignment is strictly cable and BIOS. Strange part is my 3.5 floppy does not work on that cable either no matter what connection order I try (but the other, single-drive cable works perfectly). Is there any other way to be certain whether or not the fault lies in the cable itself?

Reply 3 of 8, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the 3.5 won't work on it's own on that cable, but will on another, then the cable must be at fault.

NB. For the 5 connector / 2 drive cable, traditionally both drives were jumpered as B, the one after the twist taking A.
With a single untwisted cable, the drive would be jumpered as A

There is also a terminator jumper, or sometimes a terminator pack, which should be removed on the middle drive out of 2

Reply 4 of 8, by BaronSFel001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The single cable does have the twist, so everything adds up there.

Know a good source for a reliable cable? The one in question was picked up at a computer parts and service center in Garland, TX.

Reply 5 of 8, by buyerninety

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Getting the 1.44Mb 3.5" drive and the 5.25" floppy drive and the ZIP100
all working together is probably achieveable, but without more information
it's non-trivial to give you advice on how to proceed.*
In regard to "getting the floppy drives by themselves working together",
try this (with the Zip100 disconnected from the system to simplify testing);

You replied to Matth79 that "The single cable does have the twist", so I will
assume the 1.44Mb 3.5" floppy drive has its' jumper set as Drive Select B
(yep B), and that the AX6BC bios had/has the following settings;
'Floppy drive type' set Drive A to 1.44Mb 3.5" and set Drive B to (whatever
capacity your 5.25" floppy drive is), and 'Onboard FDC controller' set Enabled,
and 'Swap floppy Drive' set Disabled.
Check that the 5.25" floppy drive has its' jumper set as Drive Select B (yes B).
Connect the 5 connector/2 drive cable (which should have only one twist {not
two separate twists} in the cable) to the motherboard, with the 1.44Mb 3.5"
on the end position of the cable and the 5.25" on the middle position of the cable.
Tell us if it is working now.
{For reference; http://pinouts.ru/Storage/InternalDisk_pinout.shtml }
===========

*(Info like what make/model is the hard drive and how is it jumpered,
how is the Zip drive marked on its' sticker, e.g. atapi or atapi2, and how is it
jumpered, in the bios for the particular channel position the ZIP is connected
on the 'Hard Disk' 'Type' is set to what e.g. Auto/None, and what is set for
'Hard Disk' 'Mode', is your bios version R2.20 (1/26/1999) or later, what make/
model is the CDROM and how is it jumpered, what ZIP100 manual do you have
(if any) and do you have the Iomega ZIP (software) setup.exe-guest.exe-
Iomega Zip IDE/ATAPI driver-Iomega Zip format utility, have you made back
ups of data on your ZIP disks, what make/model is the 5.25" floppy drive...)

Reply 6 of 8, by BaronSFel001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Been busy lately, but I can let you know for sure the 5.25 drive is a TEAC 7193U (I purchased this very specific make and model for compatibility purposes). I recall verifying all floppy jumpers were in their default position according to documentation I found through Google for the 5.25 (I know the 3.5 is read as A: when using the single cable so that must be configured correctly) which is what seemed to narrow it down to a cable issue. As for my BIOS options, you presume correctly about every single one though I tried tweaking some of those options [before restoring to defaults] just to rule it out as a BIOS issue. Also, it so happens I had used your provided link as a reference before posting this problem.

I may be able to re-check everything and run more tests tomorrow. In the meantime, how would I find my BIOS version and (short of completely pulling them out of the tower) the exact makes and models of my other drives?

Reply 7 of 8, by buyerninety

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have read that "Floppy drive light(s) stay continuously on" can be a symptom of
floppy connector inserted into 3½ drive the 'wrong' way, but as you are obviously
fully conversant in these matters, we'll discount that.
(For benefit of viewers, perhaps we should state that the 5¼ drive jumpers are set
DS1 bridged, and DC bridged, all other jumpers unbridged, and throw in a pic as well; 😀
http://nfggames.com/x68000/Documentation/Flop … er_settings.jpg )

Regarding "how would I find my BIOS version" http://ankyo.rulez.jp/cpu/BX_1200_02.jpg
The reason bios version may have an impact (when later ZIP100 is attached) is this
note for Bios R2.20 (and applicable to later Bios versions) at http://global.aopen.com/products_download.aspx?auno=299
"Supports Panasonic ZIP drive to be configured as either Floppy_A: or Non_Floppy_A:"
(Regarding other drives, info may be helpful during later fault checking and if you
later decide to move the ZIP100 so it is not sharing a channel with the C: drive.)

Reply 8 of 8, by duncan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

"IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI Floppy"

...might be, that you by accident jumpered the ZIP as "Master A" or "Slave A" ?

I do this most times, having no more floppy drives to care for and having A: as bootable medium with 100MB...

greetings duncan

Gibt es hier Freiburger? Interessiert an Kontakten.