VOGONS

First post, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After the rather long and nonsense thread title I would like to hear some suggestions to improve a bit the 2D rendering under WIndows 95 and general suggestions for this system.

As you can see from the pictures it's a very unusual BB revision 486DLC but with the math processor matching to avoid the bugs the BB had.
I also have a Drx2 25/50 but the clock gain will be reduced by it's 25Mhz bus, so I went for the 40Mhz
The motherboard is Cyrix aware so it enables the internal cache automatically, but I'm not sure about a few things about the BIOS.
20Mb of ram is plenty for win95 or dos
There's a Future Domain SCSI controller for the HD and CD-rom, I have not used the diskette controller for now but perhaps I will, currently the 5 1/4 drive is not connected.

GoldStar multi I/O, for now only for COM1 and diskette drive.

The Audiotrix Pro is awesome, it supports OPL4 and OPL3 at the same time and the digital audio is very clean, now I'm in a mission to find the several options there were available for it.

The weak point I think it's the CL GD5424, it supports true color and 1024-764 right now it's at 800x600 16bit color, but everytime you move or resize a window you can see how it redraws each line which takes half a second or so, it is still usable but I'm sure that can be improved, using lower resolutions or colors doesn't seem to affect the performance.

2mytgmd.jpg

34jby2f.jpg

On the left.
j6lbu0.jpg

I wasn't able to install the Etherlink III it uses the same IRQ as the SCSI and I couldn't make it work in a different IRQ.
Any suggestions for a different ethernet brand/model ?

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 1 of 15, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ISA only, go Tseng ET4000, it should be a bit faster. Otherwise you are bottlenecked by ISA, if you want faster video, find a VLBus board. The Etherlink III uses a software utility included with the drivers to set the IRQ and I/O address in lieu of jumpers. It can also be used to disable PnP mode on the card as well.

Reply 2 of 15, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To improve for Windows, particularly for move and scroll, you need a card which features windows acceleration (hardware Bitblt).
In Cirrus Logic, it came in with the GD5426.
In Western digital, it started with the 90C31
For Tseng the ET4000/W32 - the 4000AX is a fast DOS card, but is not a windows accelerator

Reply 4 of 15, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

See attached for the NIC drivers. You want to run 3C5X9CFG.EXE to setup the card's resources.

Attachments

• Filename
    3C509.zip
    File size
    679.45 KiB
    Downloads
    72 downloads
    File comment
    3Com 3c509 Drivers
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 15, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robin4 wrote:

Why not just change the IRQ for the scsi card, might be lot easier then buying an LAN NIC again.

Tried that of course but the built in drivers in windows 95 will work with the default settings or nothing, as if they are not expecting the card in other irq than 11.
It's not that I'm desperate to make the ethernet work I'm sure in the end I will find a way.

What I would like to do now is to add an IDE disk as D or E drive, I have a multi I/O as primary, nothing connected apart from the diskettes and serial ports, I've tried with an IDE drive but if I set the drive as a slave and a master is not present is not being recognized. If I set the disk as Master, then the BIOS will try to boot from the IDE first instead of SCSI, any idea? I was thinking of setting the multi I/O as secondary, perhaps that will work though I won't have a Primary IDE.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 6 of 15, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Matth79 wrote:
To improve for Windows, particularly for move and scroll, you need a card which features windows acceleration (hardware Bitblt). […]
Show full quote

To improve for Windows, particularly for move and scroll, you need a card which features windows acceleration (hardware Bitblt).
In Cirrus Logic, it came in with the GD5426.
In Western digital, it started with the 90C31
For Tseng the ET4000/W32 - the 4000AX is a fast DOS card, but is not a windows accelerator

I knew about certain CL, did not which one was, thanks for the tip.
What abouit those Realtek or Oak ISA ? or Trident 8900 ISA Edit: Trident 8900 is garbage, and possibly the others are no better.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 7 of 15, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the poster is complaining about the redraw performance under Windows, so the best way to speed things up there would be investing in a card that supports accelerated graphics. For ISA my top picks are ATi Mach64 or Cirrus Logic CL 5434. S3 cards are good too, but are harder to get for ISA bus. In light of the ISA card roundup, I don't think that either of the two cards I mentioned are going to be slower than Tseng or WD under DOS.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 15, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

16/24-bit are going to be slow even on an accelerated ISA cards, just too much bandwidth is needed. But 8-bit will be fast. Tested on Win95 with 386DX-40 and CL-5429 2MB ISA.

16-bit is like 10x slower then 8-bit, but it's still faster then 8-bit on Trident 8900 😉

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 9 of 15, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vmunix wrote:

I knew about certain CL, did not which one was, thanks for the tip.
What abouit those Realtek or Oak ISA ? or Trident 8900 ISA Edit: Trident 8900 is garbage, and possibly the others are no better.

The strength of Oak and Trident cards was only having the cheapest price, never the performance, so you most probably will not be happy with them. I have a SIIG CL 5429 with 2MB RAM and it works quite nicely. 24bit color was a luxury for that era, so I believe it will be probably not satisfactorily speedy in any case with an ISA card. I remember using 16bit color even with 4MB PCI S3 cards during 1994-1995. And the monitors that I had at that time only good enough (i.e. big enough) to show 800x600 reliably.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 10 of 15, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A Windows accelerator card like a later Cirrus Logic or S3 might help somewhat (e.g.: dragging windows around with visible content), but I agree with others that you might ask too much from your machine. No matter how fast the video card (and good ones are not easy to get for the ISA bus), there will always be situations where CPU/memory/bus speed come into play.

IMO Win95 feels sluggish even on my 486DX4 / S3 Virge system, so I use Win3.11 instead. 🤣

Reply 11 of 15, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't speak personally for the CL 5434, but I can for the Mach64...despite being ISA, it's pretty quick even in 16-bit and 24-bit modes. They talk about this in an issue of PC magazine reviewing the Mach64 prototype cards.

I think with 20MB of RAM, Windows 95 should be fine on a 386 as long as you're not running games.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 12 of 15, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the Etherlink III you have to configure it with the config tool on the cards disk for PnP, then you can change the IRQ in Win9x. If you go for non-PnP then you have to set the IRQ in the config tool.

For Windows you may try to get a Weitek P9000 based card. S3 Vision 82C928 would be another option. As already mentioned here BitBlt performance for 8,16 and 24 Bit may vary a lot with early WinGDI accelerator cards.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 13 of 15, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I think with 20MB of RAM, Windows 95 should be fine on a 386 as long as you're not running games.

In part that's the reason windows is still somewhat "usable", but hey I have not built this thing to use windows 95, it was fun though pushing it to the limit.

elianda wrote:

For the Etherlink III you have to configure it with the config tool on the cards disk for PnP, then you can change the IRQ in Win9x. If you go for non-PnP then you have to set the IRQ in the config tool.

I will try that for sure, using diskettes or burning cd-roms everytime is tiresome 😁

tayyare wrote:

The strength of Oak and Trident cards was only having the cheapest price, never the performance, so you most probably will not be happy with them. I have a SIIG CL 5429 with 2MB RAM and it works quite nicely. 24bit color was a luxury for that era, so I believe it will be probably not satisfactorily speedy in any case with an ISA card.

And that's the reason why at least where I live sighting anything other than those very very cheap VGA cards is super rare.
The problem with the CL 5424 I have is that even at 8bit color is slow and the CPU or bus is not a bottleneck, getting a 5429 or an Ati Mach are my choices then.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 14 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@vmunix

the battery on the mobo shows signs of leaking. Remove it ASAP!!!!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 15 of 15, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

@vmunix

the battery on the mobo shows signs of leaking. Remove it ASAP!!!!

well spotted, thank you it is indeed starting to leak, I have not removed it because believe it or not it still holds a charge but I'm getting rid of it TODAY

Trailing edge computing.