VOGONS

Reply 241 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a thought (before I get back to cleaning up the schematic) ... what's the opinion on ISA headers as they're found on the GUS classic in later revisions (used for the 16bit recording and CD-ROM daughterboards) to be added to the clone? That way others could easily design an OPL2/OPL3/ESS/etc. daughterboard as prototypes in parallel to my/our efforts?

http://i.imgur.com/nhpGNyz.png

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 242 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great idea! Also a line-in as a simple header near the 3,5mm jack would be great - this way a probable option board will be able to route its output into the InterWave mixer.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 243 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hard1k wrote:

Great idea! Also a line-in as a simple header near the 3,5mm jack would be great - this way a probable option board will be able to route its output into the InterWave mixer.

That's already in the design, even tho it's a good bit apart from the Line-In socket. But yeah, headers for those might actually be a good idea too.

[Z?]

Reply 244 of 3172, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hard1k wrote:

Also a line-in as a simple header near the 3,5mm

and line-out header would also be nice idea, because it can provide easy connection with any other soundcard (like Ace, but inside PC) 😉

--wbcbz7

Reply 245 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Common 2.54mm (100mil) grid headers would be sufficient I guess? I could also add 2mm ones usually found on CD-ROM audio connection leads.

[Z?]

Reply 246 of 3172, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote:

Common 2.54mm (100mil) grid headers would be sufficient I guess? I could also add 2mm ones usually found on CD-ROM audio connection leads.

Of course, 100mil is better I think. 😀
shock__, can you provide highres version of schematic? (png/gif, not in internal format please 😀)

--wbcbz7

Reply 247 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Agree with wbc. No need for CDish plugs, I guess.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 248 of 3172, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shock__ wrote:
GUS Extreme basically is a rebranded Synergy Vipermax (you can even see how the just "overpainted" a major part of the silkscree […]
Show full quote
hard1k wrote:
Also I'd like to draw your attention to the fact that Gravis changed version naming after the classic GUS line: original GUS was […]
Show full quote

Also I'd like to draw your attention to the fact that Gravis changed version naming after the classic GUS line: original GUS was REV.X.YZ, while PnP was VERSION X.0.
Taking into account that PnP cards were produced in Taiwan (while the original ones in Canada), I could guess that the PnP line design might have been outsourced. I wouldn't even exclude the probability that Synergy could be the PnP designer as there are some points in common between the GUS PnP and GUS Extreme as far as the PCB desing is concerned: version numbers, place of origin, fonts, inscriptions, layout to some extent, etc. Take a look at the box artwork - it's just the same.
I may be wrong, but such chance exists.
And there was no GUS Extreme PCB rev. 2.0 neither 😉

GUS Extreme basically is a rebranded Synergy Vipermax (you can even see how the just "overpainted" a major part of the silkscreen) if you look extremely close you can still see the old logo underneath the "extreme rev 3.0" label extremev.jpg

I think he ment this:

0_f7a08_d0b845f7_orig

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 249 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yup ... said logo can also be found in the copper layer of the backside of the GUS PnP.
http://amiga.netau.net/soundcards/guspnpp2.jpg (bottom right)

[Z?]

Reply 250 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeaaaah, I was right! I didn't ever notice that logo on the PnP, but it explains everything!

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 251 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found one minor difference on the GUS PnP 1.0 and 3.0 ... check the top right of the card, there's a resistor (R48) up there which isn't on the earlier revision (seems to be part of the microphone amplifier) - probably something that could have been fixed with a botch resistor as well.

On the SO44 and DIP42 footprints of the ROM, seems like the DIP42 always is the SO44 pin + 1 (Pin 1 -> Pin2, Pin2 -> Pin3, Pin42 -> Pin43 [I'm assuming that for pins 5 to 15 as my multimeter ran out of batteries while verifying]) ... only difference is Pin32 which goes to VCC via a 20k Ohm resistor (Pin33 on the SO44 is directly connected to VCC). So maybe 27c320 vs 27c322 or something like that?

[Z?]

Reply 252 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:

What revision is that board just out of interest?

I've received his reply finally. He has a regular PnP and a PnP Pro, both are ver.1.0 cards.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 253 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Done for now (as I'm leaving for a few days tomorrow) 😀

Implemented the remaining via stitching into the board and sent off the IW78C21M1 to be read ... if reading the ROM works out, we'd basically have a replica-grade card/schematic ready, which will serve for a first prototype (I'll still add some headers first so I can use that first prototype for expanding the RAM/ROM). Also "fuckings" added to the silkscreen - like a real demoscene tradition 😀

Feel free to discuss anything else that might be added in the future.

Requests so far:
- Adapting the design to take up to 16MB ROM and add a DIP variant (checking into)
- Adapting the design to take 16MB RAM (will be implemented, not sure yet if via a single chip or a SIMM72 slot ... first is definetely preferable)
- Adapting the design to take DIP and SMD variants of the PnP ROM (will be implemented)
- Adapting the audio/joystick ports so standard brackets from donor cards can be used (will be implemented)
- Allow disabling the AdLib ports/emulation via jumper (haven't checked into yet, but sounds very possible)
- Add pinheaders for all audio ports (will be implemented)
- Add SB/SB 2.0/SB 16 compatibility (will NOT be implemented, but a full ISA header will be provided so one can design their own daughterboard [If I'm not mistaken HighTreason has a design for an OPL2 based card ready, which could be easily adapted] ... also the footprint of the headers will be the only actual PCB file provided, say thanks to the scalpers, since I don't want this to become a second HxC/MIF-IPC, actual PCBs will still be provided to the donors/contributors of this project and/or a small batch might be possible).

[Z?]

Reply 254 of 3172, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool man, let me know when it's ready and I'll donate to the cause. Would be nice to have a modern clone instead of hoarding GUS cards for the rest of my life. I've also noticed lately the cards are really shooting up in price ( saw a PnP go for $250+ a few weeks ago with nothing, just the card!)

Reply 255 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would also add the idea of BKSEL0..3 switching jumpers (or even a block of 4 switches!) to the request list.

And a possible use of the revised Am78C201AKC could also be implemented, but it will not require any changes into the PCB layout.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 256 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hard1k wrote:

I would also add the idea of BKSEL0..3 switching jumpers (or even a block of 4 switches!) to the request list.

And a possible use of the revised Am78C201AKC could also be implemented, but it will not require any changes into the PCB layout.

!BKSEL0-3 will be exposed on headers for upgrading the prototype so I won't need a second one (iif all works well). Jumpers/switches ... maybe on the second prototype. !BKSEL0 seems to be required for the ROM in any case.

About using the AKC variant, that's part of the plans for the initial prototype ... the external circuitry seems to be the same (unconfirmed as the compaq card hasn't arrived yet) and that one might have another major benefit.

[Z?]

Reply 258 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:

!BKSEL0-3 will be exposed on headers for upgrading the prototype so I won't need a second one (iif all works well). Jumpers/switches ... maybe on the second prototype. !BKSEL0 seems to be required for the ROM in any case.

Do you mean that the same BKSEL0 line goes both to RAM and ROM without any clear distinction?
Originally I meant switches for the RAM part only in order to be able to turn on/off any of the 4 banks.

shock__ wrote:

About using the AKC variant, that's part of the plans for the initial prototype ... the external circuitry seems to be the same (unconfirmed as the compaq card hasn't arrived yet) and that one might have another major benefit.

I guess, Compaq's external circuitry will be different, as it seems much more complex than reference (cloned by Philips) and as it also encompasses an onboard TEA6330T fader (a feature that wasn't deployed on any other InterWave cards). But the pinout of the newer AKC revision is the same as older KC, and I doubt AMD had any grounds to change any electrical requirements that would lead to additional R&D costs for end-user hardware manufacturers.

Synoptic wrote:

What about a HW MPU-401 that we could enable/disable by using jumpers instead of loading mega-em ?

Unfortunately the InterWave doesn't have a hardware MPU-401, people over the net say that even with MegaEm it's impossible to use its MIDI IO with any external equipment.

Synoptic wrote:

What about using sip-switches instead of jumpers ?

Yeah, that's what I meant regarding the BKSEL0..3 while mentioning switches.

AWE64 Legacy