VOGONS

Tracing an early demo of Revenant

Topic actions

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Revenant is an odd game from 1999 that few people seem to have heard of or played. It was published by Eidos and developed by Cinematix, their first and only game unfortunately. The reason nobody has played this game, is probably the fact that it is very hard to get it running properly on anything newer than systems from that era. I've always been kind of fascinated by this, I've owned the game since a few years after its release and always had a ton of issues with getting to run it. In the end, I would always give up. I finally set up a machine just to play and beat it, about a couple of years ago.
If you want to know more about it, Ross from Freeman's Mind made a funny review of it a few months back.

Reason I'm starting this thread is that I got a bit curious and started looking for pre-release material for the game. I found some pretty concept art and impressive screenshots with tons of removed or altered areas. Most interesting however is this archived page from 1998. It seems to host a non-interactive demo for the game. However, since this leads to an ftp server, it is not archived 🙁.

This demo could be just a trailer/video or rolling demo as they used to call them back then, but it could also be some pretty early engine work (this is more than a year before the actual release of the game). There was also a proper demo, released around the same time as the release, which included a completely different island to play around with.

Does anybody have any idea what this demo was exactly or where we could possibly find it? Unfortunately, Revenant is a very obscure game and I can't find much else about it 🙁. Stiletto, can you work your usual magic 😊 ?

Reply 1 of 25, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found the best info on that demo here, don't know if you already found that page (links are basically dead):
http://www.angelfire.com/nt/revenant/files.html

"Videos

Intro AVI - Eidos (20MB) - Telefragged (zipped 18MB)

Non-Interactive Demo - Eidos (zipped 9.5MB) - Telefragged (zipped 9.5MB)

Updated Non-Interactive Demo - This version is about 30 seconds longer than the other one listed above, and it has new music. Almost all of the scenes in it are the same as the previous one, but they are longer and more detailed. IMO, worth the download.
Cinematix (zipped 18.6MB) - Telefragged (zipped 18.6MB)"

Reply 2 of 25, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for digging this up. So it appears this is a trailer of sorts and there's an even longer version of it.

I can only find one instance of it from the Internet Archive, however the download pauses after the 1.0MB mark 🙁.

Reply 3 of 25, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A brief clip of it on cnet's game show on tv of some sort I forgot of but aired on TBS in 1999 showed Revenant running

on what was obviously a Matrox G100A

BTW I do have a July 1999-dated demo grabbed from the cnet-owned Download.com before they switched it to their horrible download client system. (FYI - i've only grabbed every demo dated before January 2000, roughly 12GBs worth. looking back I should've grabbed more D:)

The following is the Readme file for the Public Demo version of "Revenant". […]
Show full quote

The following is the Readme file for the Public Demo version of "Revenant".

This demo includes a fully playable mini-version of the game. The demo consists of a few houses made from
a small portion of the town, the forests, and a full level from the caves area.

Disclaimer:
This demo is based on BETA code, and therefore may have some bugs. There may be some compatibility issues
with certain video cards, and there may be some system incompatibilities that prevent you from playing the
game. If this is the case, please email your System Specs to Revenant@eidos.com and we will do our best to
see that the final version runs on your machine.

I'll try to upload it somewhere today. 😀

Also it's worth mentioning the same demo can be found on the November 1999 CGROM

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 25, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting stuff. I'd definitely like to see that earlier demo, maybe it is different from the one I can find.

My first contact with the game was circa 2000 and I definitely remember playing a demo of it with a cave level at some point. The demo didn't allow you to save and my parents forced me to go to some friends. I remember leaving the PC on and coming back only to find out that the game had freezed, rendering any progress I had made useless 😢 .
It certainly doesn't feel 15 years go 😐 .

I'll see if I can find the clip you speak of, why do you say it was obviously running on a G100A though? Completely broken blending? 🤣

Reply 5 of 25, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

not doing better on this myself, but you should have listed the filenames on the old broken links:
revdemo.zip - 9.27 MB (9.5 MB)
movie.zip - 18.6 MB
in case someone comes across them later. Sadly ftp.eidosinteractive.com is not among those FTP servers ArchiveTeam/the Internet Archive has backed up: https://archive.org/details/ftpsites

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 25, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

RevenantDemo.exe should be the file to look for. It's a PackageForTheWeb installer.

F2bnp wrote:

I'll see if I can find the clip you speak of, why do you say it was obviously running on a G100A though? Completely broken blending? 🤣

I'm certain it's a G100A because they had broken blending when they previewed Quake3 at one point in a different clip on a different show (Gamespot TV), and G100A could be made to work with it with the help of GL->Direct3D ICDs. I'm fairly certain it was not PCX2 or Virge.

Doubt you'll find the revenant clip i'm referring to, I was only going by memory. I highly doubt anyone recorded those TBS Cnet shows 🤣

also OT: Anyone have The Rage demos of the 0.5x versions from 2000-2001? All I can find are the very first demo in 2000 and all versions starting from their gold version 1.0

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 25, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember playing through this game. It was lots of fun, but I know not everyone likes continual hack n slash. I recommend playing through it.

Reply 8 of 25, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It might also pay to check the EIDOS demo disks included with the boxed versions of various EIDOS games. Disks 6-8 have the 41 MB Revenant demo (RevenantDemo.exe). Earlier disks may have other Revenant files, so perhaps somebody else can check those.

Reply 11 of 25, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Arctic wrote:

http://download.cnet.com/Revenant-demo/3000-2 … 4-10031392.html
Is this the demo you were looking for? 😀

This is probably the final released demo, which I already have, but I'll have a look at it in the coming days. Thanks 😀.

Reply 16 of 25, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay, I did snatch it. Even if it turns out to be an identical demo, it will still be awesome to have 😀. I expect it to take a while before it arrives, but it is in safe hands and I'll share it if I'm allowed 😀.

Reply 17 of 25, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another bump and a bit unrelated.

I really dig the cover artwork for the game and I'd love to get a high res scan of it. I searched through the credits of the game and found Den Beauvais credited as the concept and cover artist, so I gave it a go and contacted him about it. Here's the reply:

"Hi Nick,

Sorry, I don't have any scans, but I do have some original Revenant art left for sale.
http://denbeauvais.com/Art_for_Sale_Games.html

Let me know if that interests you. Cheers,

Den

http://www.denbeauvais.com

Alternate emails : denbeauvais@gmail.com, den@denbeauvais.com
"

Okay so far, but this is where it gets weird. The e-mail didn't end there:

""When people lose everything and have nothing left to lose...they lose it!" -- Gerald Celente 2011

"If you can't speak freely, you're simply not free". -- Montagraph

"You are free to do as we tell you" -- Bill Hicks

"Injustice for one is injustice for All." -- Dr. Martin Luther King, jr.

"We must hang together...or we'll surely hang apart." -- Aaron Russo

"You've got to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!" -- Aaron Tippin

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent." -- Thomas Jefferson

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act". -- George Orwell

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." -- Albert Einstein

"I don't know if Hemp's gonna save the world, but I'll tell you this...it's the only thing that can" -- Jack Herer

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him,
for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - - Mark Twain

"Countless people will hate the New World Order and will die protesting against it." -- H.G.Wells 1939

“If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny.”
--Thomas Jefferson (1778)

“Those who make peaceful change impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” –John F. Kennedy

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” -- Patrick Henry

“I know not what others may choose but, as for me, give me liberty or give me death.” -- Patrick Henry

“The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.” Herbert Sebastien Agar

“Ah yes, truth. Funny how everyone is always asking for it but when they get it they don’t believe it because it’s not the truth they want to hear.” Helena Cassadine

OATH KEEPERS: ORDERS WE WILL NOT OBEY
1. We will NOT obey orders to disarm the American people.
2. We will NOT obey orders to conduct warrantless searches of the American people
3. We will NOT obey orders to detain American citizens as "unlawful enemy combatants" or to subject them to military tribunal.
4. We will NOT obey orders to impose martial law or a "state of emergency" on a state.
5. We will NOT obey orders to invade and subjugate any state that asserts its sovereignty.
6. We will NOT obey any order to blockade American cities, thus turning them into giant concentration camps.
The Globalists Agenda New World Order Quotes
"

I have two possible explanations for this. Either he sends this with every e-mail on purpose or he has some New World Order spam bot on his mail server and hasn't realized it. Either way I laughed my ass off 🤣 .

Last edited by F2bnp on 2015-07-12, 15:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 25, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It seems the disc contains a lot more than I ever hoped. It appears to contain the full game at an alpha state, certainly much more than a demo. I will keep you guys posted as I play through it. Fortunately, there a lot of saved games from various spots in the game.

As it is right now, I can already find different map layouts, different animations, different sound effects, different menu UI and random bugs such as sound cutting off. I am super excited to own this !