VOGONS

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Take for example this fine card. It has the solder pads for an OPL3, they have traces, and I know that this card's chipset supports a real OPL3. What would happen if I soldered one on?? Has anyone ever tried?

IMG_4990_zps7e35fee0.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 6, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You would need both a YMF-262 and a YAC-512 and need to figure out what passive components you would need, if any. Also, the ESS emulates an OPL3, so there would have to be a way to disable the chip's OPL3 emulation. Of course, the board may be an earlier design that used the Yamaha chips and a central chip that was not capable of OPL3 emulation, and the newer chip was able to be shoehorned into the existing design without having to lay out a new PCB.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 3 of 6, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

badmojo,

It looks like it might work, make sure to let us know if you give it a try!

smeezekitty wrote:

The thing I would be worried about is it may not have the necessary support components. Notice all the resistor and capacitor pads without a part soldered?

They most probably support MC3403 amplifier also not included here. Not something I would miss on a sound card 🤣
http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/d … /CD00000473.pdf

Reply 4 of 6, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, this card is brought to us by the same fine people who made the "Audician".

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 6, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Ah, this card is brought to us by the same fine people who made the "Audician".

The Yamaha chipset thing? This particular Audiodrive is a very solid implementation of the ESS1688 chipset; it's responsible for the DOS duties on my PIII machine and I think it rocks. Beautiful sounding SB Pro emulation, bug free wave table header and ESS FM which I think sounds great. So I won't be experimenting on this particular card, but you often see an empty space for an OPL on the clones.

Thanks for the responses, maybe I'll just suck it and see one day for a laugh.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.