VOGONS

First post, by ETTiNGRiNDER

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe my Google skills are lacking but I can't seem to find this out: what hardware is supported by Windows 98SE out of the box (i.e. drivers are included on the 98SE CD-ROM itself, no need for extra discs or downloads). Is there a full list somewhere?

Reply 1 of 13, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not that I know of, but you can usually count on chipsets that were available before the OS version was launched, as well many 2D cards and NICs. In my experience, though, the Trio64 driver that ships with Win98SE is somewhat slow, and the system became snappier once I installed the Win95 one. So the system having the driver built in doesn't necessarily mean you'll want to use them.
Worst case scenario you can probably just install 98SE in a VM, go to the Add Hardware wizzard and have it display all available drivers.

Reply 3 of 13, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Intel PRO/100 is very good choice for win98 PC (if you need LAN).
All i430 series motherboards should have built-in drivers for the chipset and most integrated devices, i440 series as well.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 4 of 13, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As alexanrs has mentioned, most hardware that what was around by the time that Windows 98SE was introduced (which was on May 5, 1999), would have drivers that is included with Windows 98SE.
For a broad summary of what is supported, refer to the following link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_98#Windo … _Second_Edition (the Windows 98 Section Edition section)

However, my experience is that the drivers included in Windows 98SE (or any Windows version for that matter) are just stock standard drivers to get your hardware working (without any additional functionality or features).
The drivers released (an updated) by the manufacturers sometimes includes additional functionality, features and also bug fixes.
A good example are your graphics drivers released by your various manufactures. With the stock driver, you rarely have additional tabs under your Display Properties but, if you install the manufacturer's driver, you do get those tabs that offers additional features (settings).

Whenver I installed Windows 98SE, I always made a point of updating my drivers to the latest version for compatibility & stability reasons, as well as bug fixes.

Last edited by jesolo on 2015-03-17, 21:21. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 6 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

98SE's hardware driver database felt more like early 98 to me. I can't recall it having a driver for Voodoo2, TNT, Rage128 or SBLive.

Riva128, 3dfx Voodoo Graphics, Monstersound 1 and AWE64 are the best it can get for out-of-the-box support and that definitely doesn't represent May 1999 hardware. More like October 1997, around Win98's beta periods

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 13, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
havli wrote:

Intel PRO/100 is very good choice for win98 PC (if you need LAN).

+1. 3Com Etherlink cards also seem to have built-in drivers and wide-ranging support; unfortunately I forget the exact model I own (and I own probably half a dozen of them). I think they're Etherlink XL. 😊

leileilol wrote:

98SE's hardware driver database felt more like early 98 to me. I can't recall it having a driver for Voodoo2, TNT, Rage128 or SBLive.

The last 98SE build I did had a Voodoo2, and it did not have drivers for the Voodoo2 out of the box. 😊

Reply 8 of 13, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 3Com 3C905B-TX Fast Etherlink XL PCI 10/100 cards were hugely popular, common as dirt and Windows 98SE supported them out of the box. Maybe you may get better performance from a later drive, I don't know. I don't think you want to rely on out-of-the box drivers for any kind of 3D accelerator.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 9 of 13, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Win98SE does NOT support the 905 out of the box. I did learn yesterday though that the CD has drivers for the Matrox G100 (And a few other cards). Also surprised to find support for the Aureal Vortex, Voodoo Banshee, C-Media's joyport and some Synaptix touch pads.

I seem to think there is a version of either 95 or 98 that does not have drivers for the TSeng ET4000 out of the box.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 10 of 13, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From recent experience I can say that it doesn't support Vortex 2 and Rendition V2200 (it does have rendition V1000, though).
Maybe MS really didn't bother to refresh drivers from 98?

Reply 11 of 13, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I remember correctly there was drivers for some graphics (and sound) cards in early DirectX distributions. Around DirectX5, DirectX6.
Look into those archives - as Windows 98SE has DirectX 6.1

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 12 of 13, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

My Win98SE does NOT support the 905 out of the box. I did learn yesterday though that the CD has drivers for the Matrox G100 (And a few other cards). Also surprised to find support for the Aureal Vortex, Voodoo Banshee, C-Media's joyport and some Synaptix touch pads.

I seem to think there is a version of either 95 or 98 that does not have drivers for the TSeng ET4000 out of the box.

As afar as I remember, it supports 905B but not 905C-TX-M.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 13 of 13, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zyga64 wrote:

If I remember correctly there was drivers for some graphics (and sound) cards in early DirectX distributions. Around DirectX5, DirectX6.
Look into those archives - as Windows 98SE has DirectX 6.1

Just checked the DX6.1 archive. It has drivers (I remember that much), but those are not newer than the ones from 98SE.