VOGONS

First post, by nicetux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got this graphic card. The seller tells me it is for EISA. But I'm not sure, because there is 'Local Bus' written.

Here is a picture. I found nothing for this card in th99. Mayby someone here knows this card and cann tell me something about it. (e.g. which Motherboard is compatible, etc...)

lto1y.jpg

Exist 'EISA Local Bus'? If yes, what is the differnce to EISA?

Next week i get a Socket 4 Mainboard with 4x EISA, but i don't want crash it. 😊

Reply 2 of 9, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

is it possibly OPTI local bus? those usually have "local bus" written on them.

*edit* actually after comparing some images I'm just about 100% sure that's a OPTI local bus card. DO NOT install it in a EISA board, you could damage something.

Reply 3 of 9, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not really the best source, but this is what google came out with
"EISA requires OPTI chipset"

http://www.recycledgoods.com/tseng-labs-2148- … -pcb-rev-d.html

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 4 of 9, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know if EISA requires a OPTI chipset but interestingly OPTI Local Bus does not require a OPTI chipset. I have a SIS based motherboard with a OPTI Local Bus slot in it.

Reply 5 of 9, by nicetux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
soviet conscript wrote:

*edit* actually after comparing some images I'm just about 100% sure that's a OPTI local bus card. DO NOT install it in a EISA board, you could damage something.

I read something about this too. Thank you all. 😎

Then i will look and search a 486 Mainboard with Opti Local Bus. I hope i will find one. 😊

Reply 6 of 9, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nicetux wrote:
soviet conscript wrote:

I read something about this too. Thank you all. 😎

Then i will look and search a 486 Mainboard with Opti Local Bus. I hope i will find one. 😊

I wish you luck. they arn't that common and the only information out there on the bus seems to be simply that it exists. your better off tucking that card card away and finding a board with VLB or actual EISA.

Reply 7 of 9, by nicetux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, it will be not easy to find a mainboard with 'Opti Local Bus', but there exist some mainboards. Yesterday evening end an auction on ebay for $99, but i think thats a lot of money. 😢

Reply 8 of 9, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DO NOT INSERT THAT CARD INTO AN EISA BUS MOTHERBOARD!

You will damage the motherboard and/or the card. There were never any EISA video cards based on the ET4000AX chip. This card was made for one of the many proprietary 486 (and some 386) local buses that existed before VESA Local Bus was standardized. The Opti Local Bus was fairly popular judging by period computer hardware articles.

Usually the motherboards are 486 based, have an Opti chipset, and one EISA looking slot. Here is an example of a system with the bus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY_Lbnv7ycA

Reply 9 of 9, by blakespot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've never heard of OPTI LocalBus before, was it common? I'm guess not.

This reminds me of the fairly rare Wingine Local Bus slot I was using on a system fabricated in 1994 to run NeXTSTEP for Intel. My write up:

http://www.bytecellar.com/2007/02/09/chips_technolog/

bp

:: Visit the Byte Cellar, my vintage computer blog (since 2004).
:: See a panorama of my own Byte Cellar (a.k.a. basement computer room)...
:: twitter: @blakespot