5V/3.3V Rail Current

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 43, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote:

how few amps can you gat away with on a 386/486 system usually without drives?

It really depends on the CPU and motherboard.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 41 of 43, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote:

how few amps can you gat away with on a 386/486 system usually without drives?

Dunno but they mostly draw like 30-40 watts (the minimum was a 386SX with 2 RAM sticks, CL VGA, a budget SB clone and a CF card as HDD) from the wall through an old school AT PSU which doesn't shine at efficiency - maybe 70% or even less...? If it was 100% efficient they'd need like 6-8 Amps. But actually they draw much less. At 70% it's more like ~5 Amps.
A high power PCI VGA (like a Voodoo 3) can somewhat change the picture and need like 3 more Amps. A monster can change even more but I don't have any data about those. My PCI Radeon and TNT2 and GF2MX aren't worse but I have no monsters.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 42 of 43, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

thanks, the exact configuration will probably depend on what I can still find, but as a guideline it should be at least 5A? ... I was just wondering if you could run an AT system off a modern picoPSU since I still have a few of those lying around, but I think the strongest one only does 7A on 5V

for anything with a potent cpu/gpu I will stick to proper PSUs, just wondering about the 386 and 486 build with an appropriate gpu.