VOGONS

p150 - good choice?

Topic actions

First post, by viktorcech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello, i found this, i want buy it.. hmm?

Intel Pentium 150 MHz
FIC VA-502, chipset VIA VT82C585VP
S3 Trio 64V+ 1 MB PCI
ISA sound card Addonics
hdd WD Caviar 21600
RAM 2x 4 MB SIMM
CD-ROM Samsung SCR-2431
3,5"
AT 200 w

http://aukro.cz/show_item.php?item=5220202784 … 8f2f92c5bca3210

if i buy, what is best to upgrade, change..? memory, vga?

Reply 1 of 24, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The VGA is good, the memory needs upgrading, 4*16MB 72 pin EDO or 2*32MB/1*64MB 168 pin sdram is really cheap.
Perhaps you could use another sound card but that depends on what you want to play.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it does what you want it to do, it is a good choice.
If it doesn't do what you want it to do, it is a bad choice.
If you can get something better for the same price, then you probably should.
If your options are limited, then "choice" is an illusion.

Reply 4 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Except you can play all of those on a modern PC without too much difficulty. If you want to play them on a P150, then I guess you should get a P150. Are you just looking for someone to make you feel better about spending your money..?

Reply 6 of 24, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seriously, this is a retro pc. Every retro pc is good for what it is. Suitable for you? It depends on your needs.
Although you'll be able to play the games mentioned, it's not the best for these and similar ones. Maybe you should try something more powerful (MMX?) if this kind of games (+even more demanding) is what you're looking for.
Should you get it? Tell us more, like what do you want to do with it, if the price is right, if you just want to play the aforementioned games, if you need a pc to play all the latest dos games, if you plan to experiment with earlier games...

Reply 7 of 24, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a decent 1995/1996 setup. Quake will be fine, especially with a Voodoo card. Carmageddon will not run well. Not sure about GTA1. I would consider this setup restricted to 1997 and older games.

Personally for those games I would go for a Pentium II. P150 is to me more of a fast Doom / Dark Forces / Descent / Command & Conquer machine. 2D/2.5D games that are at low resolution. SVGA DOS games need much more CPU power as well.

Reply 8 of 24, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Swayye makes a good point if you want to run games at SVGA resolution otherwise you could easily upgrade it to a Pentium 233mmx and that should iron out any performance issues for dos games at standard resolutions, it might be too little for Carmageddon at 640x480.

Reply 9 of 24, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would buy, if it was only for the tower case.. AT cases are hard to find.. The setup you always can change..

The speed of the system depends on what your plans are and what you want to do with it.. Maybe you want to have a Pre- pentium system.. 133- 150Mhz would do fine.. But dont suspect it can run everything on it.
Some older Pentium software was designed for a faster pentium processor..
But if you want to do more with this system, i would recommend to go for an 200Mhz or 233Mhz MMX if the motherboard is capable for it.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 10 of 24, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just don't get where the 1999 tag comes from. A 150MHz Pentium is an early 1996 processor, and it is not fit to run gamer that were released much later than that. If you set the FSB to 66MHz you can use the processor at 166MHz and this would be the state-of-the-art intel desktop processor in early 1996. Late 90s means P2/P3. This would be a great machine to run games from the 486 era up to 95/96 games.

Of course, you can just plop a cheap MMX 200/233 processor in that motherboard and get it into mid 1997 territory, adding a Voodoo in the mix would also allow games that support Glide to run a lot better. Also, upgrade the memory. Find what is the highest amount of RAM that MoBo will cache and max it out. Windows will thank you. You can push the machine even further with a later AMD processor, but those are better off in a SS7 board.

Reply 12 of 24, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Please remember that the Trio64 chip familys memory interface is dependent on the 2nd MB of RAM installed. With only 1MB of RAM it HAS a negative performance impact and of course one could only use lower resolutions within Windows which might be important or not - it depends on personal preference.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 14 of 24, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

honestly for GTA and Quake I'd try to find a K6 233, the board offically supports it, and it should be faster than a Pentium 233MMX or see if you can find a K6-2 266 and use the 3dnow patch, would make it much better for what you intend to do.

Reply 15 of 24, by darksheer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
candle_86 wrote:

honestly for GTA and Quake I'd try to find a K6 233, the board offically supports it, and it should be faster than a Pentium 233MMX or see if you can find a K6-2 266 and use the 3dnow patch, would make it much better for what you intend to do.

nope nope nope just don't compare k6 233 and p233mmx 🤣
even a p166mmx give smoother results than a k6 233 under 3d games or in the worst case scenario it's just a draw 😵

Reply 16 of 24, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

-P150 should either be underclocked to 133MHz or overclocked to 166MHz to take advantage of the 66MHz bus.
-8MB is pretty weak for a classic Pentium. 16MB-32MB was standard.
-It would be better to have an Intel Triton based motherboard
-Trio64 with 1MB should be upgraded to 2MB.
-The AT case isn't particularly great (it's a really cheap one, probably equally cheap power supply).

I wouldn't buy unless you're desperate to own a Pentium.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 17 of 24, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would not buy it. I would replace almost everything there... not much to look at, seriuosly.

How about this? http://aukro.cz/intel-pentium-ii-350-mhz-i532 … html?source=mlt

Reply 19 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only way to know for sure is to turn it on and find out.

I have a board with a capacitor knocked clean off of it that still seems to work perfectly for some reason.