VOGONS

First post, by blakespot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have Cubic Player 2.0.6pre6 on my 5x86 160 DOS box with a GUS classic (1MB). Back in the '90s CubicPlayer did a fine job of playing the "larger" tracks that CapaMod could not. Right now, I get stuttered and broken playback of tracks with this version. Is there a version someone can point to that works under DOS with the GUS? I was using a version back in the day released around 1995. The ver I have here now was compiled in 2002.

Thanks.

EDIT: I was also using a GUS Classic way back when...

:: Visit the Byte Cellar, my vintage computer blog (since 2004).
:: See a panorama of my own Byte Cellar (a.k.a. basement computer room)...
:: twitter: @blakespot

Reply 1 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally i've always preferred 1.6 (1995 November) over anything later as it didn't screw up playback of .mod files (even the ones I do with stuff that breaks later CPs) and didn't break the pattern view. Don't know how this would fare for GUS support though. I stopped using Cubic around 1997 when Modplug Player came out

anyway here's 1.6. It's a little big because of the würfel möde

Attachments

• Filename
    cp16.zip
    File size
    1.01 MiB
    Downloads
    171 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 13, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Blake: Are you sure you have selected (or the player selected) the GUS Wavetable device for playback?
Otherwise it might use the e.g. Quality Mixer which runs on CPU and causes stutter.

You can select it in the file selector (@).

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 13, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using Cubic Player 1.7 and have no playback problems what so ever. I did try some of the newer versions of "Open Cubic Player", but found it problematic, so I prefer to stick with what was around in the days.

EDIT: I had to boot my system to check if it was 1.6 or 1.7... Got me listening to some good old ch00ns. Thanks 😀

Recommendation: A94FINAL.S3M "Deep in her eyes" by Skaven. Although there are so many good old tunes for those days.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 4 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

here's a zip of some of "my" mods that later Cubics regress. They're all .MOD format, and I have no idea how they'd sound on a GUS.

Attachments

• Filename
    sucks.zip
    File size
    190.39 KiB
    Downloads
    102 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

do the old versions support playlists? I use the latest ocp with a gazillion amiga mods, I only had problems with some that would loop forever, other than that ocp works fine with my gus classic

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 13, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have been using OpenCP 2.6.0, but I also have the old Cubic 1.666. I found no problems with the new one playing MOD files (including those attached by leileilol). Is there something particular to pay attention to?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 8 of 13, by blakespot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Personally i've always preferred 1.6 (1995 November) over anything later as it didn't screw up playback of .mod files (even the ones I do with stuff that breaks later CPs) and didn't break the pattern view. Don't know how this would fare for GUS support though. I stopped using Cubic around 1997 when Modplug Player came out

anyway here's 1.6. It's a little big because of the würfel möde

Thanks! I could not get the latest version to run, despite selections in the @ menu, but 1.6 runs great. I was running 1.6 back in the day. Maybe I want 1.7...

Here's a taste in 132x60 VESA textmode:

https://instagram.com/p/1cIw7gD4Ok/?taken-by=blakespot

bp

Reply 9 of 13, by blakespot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used CapaMod and the GUS for everything back in '96 or so until I ran into Onward.mod (from DOPE). 28 channels. I then found CubicPlayer 1.6 and used it as -- and I hope you can tell me if I'm remembering correctly -- that it does software mixing and outputs the result through the GUS (in the case of the GUS). This made more sense to me at the time, as I recall, because using the GUS hardware channels you get lower quality sound at higher channel #'s. It's 44.1kHz up to 14 voices, then progressively worse on down to 19.2kHz at 32 voices.

My thought was that CP would play a high-channel track better because it's doing the mixing in software and outputting to two GUS channels.

Is that correct? Is CP going to sound better than a player that uses the hardware channels for a high-channel track? I know that CapaMod was considered the most accurate GUS player of them all, but it's going to the hardware (which is usually a good thing).

Thoughts?

EDIT: I am using a 5x86 160 and a GUS Classic w/ 1MB RAM, btw.

bp

Reply 10 of 13, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you are correct about Cubic Player doing software mixing, but I'm not absolutely certain.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 11 of 13, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You are right about software mixing resulting in higher quality on GUS (GF1) cards when playing modules with a high number of channels. IIRC there was even a setting somewhere in CP where you could define a channel limit, and CP would automatically select the software mixer instead of GF1 for modules with more channels than the limit.

Reply 12 of 13, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

- One thing supported is if you press ALT-B for big modules they will be played in software (if CP has to downsample too many instruments to fit into memory of the card).
- 2.6.0pre plays more accurately than 1.6.0 I think
- for GUS CP enables only the voices for the actual playing instrument, so even for a 32 channel tracker file you could have at a certain moment only 8 voices enabled. So actual playback rate varies while playing on GUS.
- read the extensive manual.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 13 of 13, by blakespot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Manual was enlightening.

Wow, CP can drive two GUS sound cards in the same machine for some kind of 3D effect. That would be amazing to hear.

bp