VOGONS

First post, by Arkady

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I've got an OCTEK HIPPO 15 motherboard (486). It doesn' work at all.
I used my favourite magnifier and inspected very closely all the motherboard.
I found a missing resistor (R92), near the end of the first ISA connector, under the two chipsets with the yellow OCTEK stickers.
I found pictures of this motherboard on internet. They are clear enough to show the presence of the resistor but not big enough to show it's value.

I need to know it's value to replace it, so please if someone has got this motherboard, it would be very nice of you to give me the value of the resistance of R92 (the number written onto).
I marked it up in red onto the picture below.

Thank you for your help.

The motherboard seems in perfect condition everywhere else.

HIPPO15_R92.jpg

Reply 1 of 6, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Although there is always a chance it could be critical, I find it unlikely that the one resistor stops the entire board from functioning.
More concerning is the trace corrosion next to it.

Reply 2 of 6, by Arkady

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, thank you for the advice, i also spotted the corroded track. I'll test/fix it.

The R92 resistor is connected to the 53 pin of the UM8886F chipset and go to the 74F244 through a 10 Ohms resistor. Perhaps this might explain the problem...

Nobody has got an HIPPO 15 ? 😀

Reply 3 of 6, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if it was me, i'd try one of those nearby 330 resistors or the 100's. (whichever is 10k) The cardinal rule of designing complex boards for mass production is, use as few parts as possible. looking at how R92 feeds R84,R85,R88,& R89, it seems its a factory setting of some sort.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4 of 6, by SirWolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Arkady, did you manage to replace the resistor?

486: Octek Hippo 15, Am5x86-133@150 MHz, 128 MB EDO, 256 kB L2, ATI Rage Pro 6 MB, SB AWE32 8 MB, USB, CD-RW, 5,25"+3,5", FM
386: BEK-3709, TX486DLC 40 MHz , 8 MB, 128 kB L2, WD90C30-LR
286: PTM-1232C, CS80C286-25, 4 MB, WD90C30-LR

Reply 6 of 6, by alexthekid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Arkady, glad that you could solve your resistor-problem. I hope that you still have your Octek Hippo 15.
I have the same Board (Octek Hippo 15 Rev 1.23) and started my 1st Thread here today.
I am trying to use 512MB RAM in my Hippo 15 . (512MB Memory Support on my new old Octek Hippo 15 Rev 1.23 486 Mainboard)
Maybe we can exchange Drivers/Utilities/BIOS-Files?
Which BIOS Version are you running?
Best regards 😀