VOGONS

First post, by kumijorma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem

I am currently building a 486-computer and decided to install two 16 MB memory modules. The motherboard manual only says that it is possible to install two 16 MB 72-pin SIMMs with 80 ns (or less) DRAM-speed.

All the memory modules don't have stickers and identifying the type of memory modules can be difficult. There are also noticeable performance differences in different memory modules, even though the specs are the same (16 MB, 72-pins, 60 ns).

I have attached images of the memory modules I currently have (below). I have one 16 MB memory module that is fast and working fine. I have two 16 MB memory modules that perform noticeable worse than the one I mentioned earlier. I have also tested two other sets ot 2x 16 MB memory modules, but they don't work at all on my 486. (The were taken (fully working) from old Pentium-computers.)

(Of course I would buy another memory module of the kind of one I have, if it was available.)

So, I am asking for recommendations for good RAM for my 486-computer - or help to identifying missing specs that I need for looking good memory modules.

So, all I know that my computer supports 2x 16 MB with 72-pins and 60 ns DRAM-speed. The fast module I have, may be a parity-module. I have heard that some of the modules with 6x chips on both sides are parity-modules, but I'm not sure about this. There may be other spec-related things I haven't noticed from my memory modules.

The reason I want 32 MB of RAM is that I use some software under Windows 3.11 that get benefits having more than 16 MB of RAM.

Other questions

My 486-computer also has 4 MB with 70 ns DRAM-speed of onboard RAM. If I install two 60 ns memory modules to my computer, is it better to disable onboard RAM for performance?

Can you recommend me the best settings for shadow RAM and memory hole at 15 - 16 MB -options in the BIOS?

I have the following cards in the ISA-slots: Diamond SpeedStar 64 2 MB, Sound Blaster 16 WavEffects and WinBond W89C904AXF-network card.

Thanks.

Images of the memory modules:

Attachments

• Working_02.jpg
    Filename
    Working_02.jpg
    File size
    2.88 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Fast and working memory module (16 MB, 72-pins, 60 ns). 2nd image.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Working_01.jpg
    Filename
    Working_01.jpg
    File size
    3.6 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Fast and working memory module (16 MB, 72-pins, 60 ns). 1st image.
    File license
  • Slow.jpg
    Filename
    Slow.jpg
    File size
    3.63 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Slow and working memory modules (16 MB, 72-pins, 60 ns).
    File license
  • Non-working_B.jpg
    Filename
    Non-working_B.jpg
    File size
    3.41 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Non-working memory modules (16 MB, 72-pins, 60 ns). (B)
    File license
  • Non-working_A.jpg
    Filename
    Non-working_A.jpg
    File size
    3.42 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Non-working memory modules (16 MB, 72-pins, 60 ns). (A)
    File license

Reply 1 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unfortunately, I can't comment on specific brand names but, some 486 motherboards require two pairs of simms due to memory interleaving (which is kind of a forerunner to dual channel memory).
Also, the reason why your two Pentium simms don't want to work in your 486 PC is because it is most likely EDO memory. Some 486 motherboards will only work with fast page mode (FPM) memory.

I haven't been able to distinguish between the two types by just looking at them.
You either need to test them in a motherboard that only requires FPM memory or, look at the model (serial) numbers on the chips to try and identify which type it is (I recently performed such an exercise with a couple of simms I have and was fairly successful in identifying the type of memory)

If you combine 70ns and 60ns memory modules, then I would imagine that the overall speed would be that of the slowest component (70ns in this case).

I usually disable shadow RAM and the memory hole. The latter, if memory serves correct, is only required for very old ISA cards.
You can, however, enable caching of your system and video bios as well as caching of your video RAM to improve performance.

Reply 2 of 6, by AllUrBaseRBelong2Us

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also, if I remember correctly, some 486 boards don't like 72 pin simms with chips on both sides of the module, but that may have just been for odd sizes like 8MB, 32MB, and 128MB.

Reply 5 of 6, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First you need to know if these sticks are FPM or EDO.. Otherwise it would be very complicated to determine which stick will work in your motherboard, and which dont..
Because really the older 486 boards (most) will only work with FPM memory.. EDO memory appertain more to the newer 486 boards and mostly used on Socket 7 and or Super socket 7 boards.
If you put an EDO stick in an FPM only 486 motherboard, you still would getting the black screen after power up the system.. And often it would also could give some beeps through the pc speaker to let you known the ram isnt working in your motherboard.

To tackle all of these finicky problems iam using an old innoventions memory tester.. I think that it would be expensive for some people, but i think it saves a lot time of if a module would be faulty or not and really knowing very fast the specifications of the tested module. I know it was expensive, but it was a great investment for if i would retest the modules, or when there arrive more old modules here..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 6 of 6, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am pretty sure that digging up these forums will provide all the necessary info on a rudimentary check-up, without having to spend mega bucks on a RAM tester. Keep in mind that these are 20+ yrs old themselves, yet brutally overpriced on ebay. Of course, if one builds retro rigs on daily basis then the price *might* be justified.

When the computer can boot, you can run the FITTING version of memtest or memtest+ a few rounds to make sure it is OK. (Some versions can give false alarms on 486 or lower systems.)
From memory (no pun intended), the odd number of chips on a memory module, when one has different size and labelling indicates parity RAM. But parity RAM is SLOWER than non-parity (but can be counted on not to freeze your rig on errors)

Also, many chips' serial numbers end on something like "-60J" "-70J" etc. (rated speed). You take a look at the two digits that PRECEEDS these and if it is 0 (zero) it is FPM RAM, if it is anything else (very often 3, 5, 6) it is EDO RAM.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."