VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

A friend gave me an older 300W Heroichi PSU , it's an ATX one with a single AT plug , it's heavy and it has a -5v line that makes it usefull 😊 This PSU should be perfect for a ss7 system IMHO.

It's filled with Capxcon capacitors though and one of them in the 3.3v line needs replacing. (basically if this worths the effort then I'll replace all capacitors)
Here are some pics of the insides , it looks a decent PSU to me but I could use a more educated opinion (also not sure what the purpose of that transformer-like device on the separate metal sheet is - click on the pics to eventually get the full-res version)

th_WP_20150414_002_zpsu8oq0rif.jpg th_WP_20150414_004_zpskif52akj.jpg th_WP_20150414_003_zpsv1ybw1gf.jpg

th_WP_20150414_005_zpsdbrgzlfr.jpg th_WP_20150414_006_zpsaw7vqmvy.jpg th_WP_20150414_008_zps6gharz7d.jpg

thoughts? 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 31, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Definitely yes.
It also has strong +5v rail, good for even athlon xp systems (and I think that this PSU is from that era).

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 2 of 31, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Go for it! Heroichi PSUs were considered good. You should be able to use it even on powerful Athlon XP systems.

I've always wanted to know why some ATX PSUs provide one AT plug, in which situations would that be useful?

Reply 3 of 31, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Auxiliary connector, some pentium 3 systems and some early p4's and Athlon xp machines used it to provide extra +5 power to the motherboard.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4 of 31, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, the most common place to find those AUX connectors are older SMP boards.

The large transformer will probably be a step-down transformer, if so, it would be for using the PSU with a 230V supply. I could go on a long winded tangent about efficiency and whatnot, but to cut a long story short, these were usually found in the better PSUs.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 5 of 31, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep worth the trouble of restoring it. Looks like a solid real-300W PSU, with a huge 30A +5V rectifier.

keropi wrote:

... not sure what the purpose of that transformer-like device on the separate metal sheet is ...

It's a large passive PFC (Power Factor Correction) coil, for the happiness of electrical companies.

From your point of view it's just an undesired heat generation device (they get hot), so I'd extirpate it and bridge the two points where it connects to the PCB with a piece of wire. Junk PSU makers know this trick well 🤣 .

Let the air flow!

Reply 6 of 31, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:

Auxiliary connector, some pentium 3 systems and some early p4's and Athlon xp machines used it to provide extra +5 power to the motherboard.

HighTreason wrote:

Yeah, the most common place to find those AUX connectors are older SMP boards.

Thanks for the clarification, guys!

Reply 7 of 31, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks all for the replies, looks like I have some work to do 😀

@TELVM
thanks for the explanation, that thing is going in the parts drawer 😉

edit: finished removing the caps, all these seem standard ones to me, no crazy specs here or low-esr ones , right?

th_WP_20150414_009_zpsok2nlkvm.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 31, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The internals look like an inverted board-layout of the Antec PP303X, many of which I have recapped. Just make sure you use some nice, name-brand caps such as Panasonic, United Chemicon, Nichicon, etc. You don't have to use low-esr, (and in the case of PSU's you don't necessarily want to because too low of esr can affect how the circuit works in the PSU) but I would use something a little more low-esr than general purpose caps. And make sure you get 105 degree caps, not 85's.

In my case, I recapped a PP303X with (IIRC) Panasonic FM's and FC's. I've also used Samxon capacitors with good success, but those aren't as common to come by. Most people will tell you not to bother with the two, large filtering capacitors, but I always replace them, anyway with Panasonic TS-ED's which have very high ripple handling. Let's face it, the PSU is the core of your system--it affects how well everything else in the system works so why not make it super-solid?! It will also alleviate some of the ripple which reaches the CPU's filtering caps on the motherboard.

Back in the day I had an Asus P4PE which was running on a recapped PSU, and I opted to recap the motherboard with polymer caps (because I had a mess of them to repair motherboards in the future) and when I threw the board back in the system and booted back up, the system was always snappier at everything it did. And believe me you, anything to make one of those blasted 478 P4's run snappier was WELCOME!

Reply 10 of 31, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

(Just in case Keropi or someone else get tempted:)

Beware however that recapping PSUs with polymer caps may not be a good idea, as polys will FUBAR some PSUs.

See Hardware Insights - Poly-Modding: Does it actually work?

Let the air flow!

Reply 11 of 31, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awesome, thanks for the cap info 😀
As usual, getting good capacitors here is a problem so I'll need to order online. Does this capacitor seem a good replacement for the 2 large 680uf ones?
http://www.tme.eu/en/details/lgu2g680mely/105 … itors/nichicon/#

For the smaller ones I have a stock of chemicon caps, I'll just need to order the large values: 680/2200/3300uf ones that need to be slim to fit.

Reply 13 of 31, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TELVM wrote:

(Just in case Keropi or someone else get tempted:)

Beware however that recapping PSUs with polymer caps may not be a good idea, as polys will FUBAR some PSUs.

See Hardware Insights - Poly-Modding: Does it actually work?

Not convinced it was the poly, or the massive drop in capacitance on the 12V (where the difference with polys was the worst) - if there isn't enough capacitance to absorb each "kick" from the switchmode, then it doesn't matter how low the esr is.

Reply 14 of 31, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Power supplies, unless specifically designed to use polys, are not the appropriate place for a poly upgrade. Polymer caps are very fast, and would require all the circuitry behind them to be equally quick. The only place I've seen polys applied to a PSU are server-grade supplies, and even they don't use it on all rails. In the VRM circuit of a motherboard, behind a CPU you would normally half the value in capacitance because the goal here is only to smooth the incoming power.

Reply 15 of 31, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Polys have been appearing inside quality modern consumer PSUs for some time now. The 2010-vintage Antec TP-650 that propels the PC from which I'm writing this already had several polys onboard (click to expand):

in_VRMs2_small.jpg ····· in_secondary_caps_small.jpg

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Antec/TP-750C/4.html

The ultra-modern, state-of-the-art Corsair AXi 1500 filters the +12V rail with polys:

in_secondary_CapXons_small.jpg

But even that showpiece still uses lots of lytics:

in_modular_front_small.jpg

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/AX1500i/4.html

Thing is, as Logistics says the PSU must be specifically designed to handle polys.

On ancient half-bridge PSUs, like Keropi's HEC-300, recapping with polys is at best an adventurous proposition.

Let the air flow!

Reply 16 of 31, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

...damned minimum orders, a 5-7eur job ends up at 30+ :\
looking for alternatives like ebay atm

Reply 17 of 31, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Φανος Ηλεκτρονικα doesn't send orders country-wide?

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 18 of 31, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ no page to order , I need to pick specific caps in dimensions (else they won't fit) and I can't just give a telephone order and receive Lelon caps 🤣