VOGONS

Socket 775 - obsolete for modern games/SW or not?

Topic actions

First post, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:
We have many members running socket 775 systems as their main rigs. Lately there have been lots of discussion concerning their v […]
Show full quote

We have many members running socket 775 systems as their main rigs. Lately there have been lots of discussion concerning their viability as gaming rigs for modern Direct-X 11 games.

I did a quick 3dmark 11 run (Preset: Performance) using a socket 775 system with two Geforce GTX 580 in SLI and the performance numbers look good. The total score is not great as the CPU isnt that fast when it comes to the physics tests but the GPU score is where it should be. Both the CPU and GPUs are overclocked but the CPU is using its default voltage and the GPUs only 1.075V so there is plenty of performance left to squeeze out.

I think when it comes to games that do not use more than 4 cores a system like this should be able to keep up decently for another couple of years.
X54604037XFX780iSLI2.jpg

I guess it will better to have this conversation here in this topic to avoid OT in the other threads. 😀

GTX 580 SLI @ 900 MHz performance should be similar to my R9 290... so I decided to run 3DMark 11 and compare the score.

3dm11iius9.png

The total score is better by 28% for the i5 and the physics score is by 46% higher. So the i5 is almost 50% faster while clocked 600 MHz less. Sure the graphics score is similar, however 3Dmark graphics tests are designed to be CPU independent - the scene geometry is very simple and therefore it can run fast with almost any CPU. Unlike the majority of todays games, most of them are bottlenecked by the CPU by a great margin.

GTA V is an perfect example. Unfortunately noone is benchmarking core2 in modern games... still the Phenom II X4 is very similar to the core2 in many aspects. And Phenom really suffers here. My theory is the lack of modern instruction sets - SSE 4.1/4.2 and AVX.

Oh and btw:
http://hwbot.org/submission/2210831_francky78 … 580_13545_marks
(GTX 580 SLI setup powered by an i7 2600k @5GHz... performance gain compared to the core2 xeon is massive)

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 1 of 126, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The architecture of modern CPUs is far more efficient, but a high-clocked (3GHz+) Quad Core 771/775 system can still show reasonable performance. The Dual Cores, however, are obsolete.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 126, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think there needs to be a distinction between "modern games" and "software." My C2D 6550 has no problems with modern web browsers, office apps, Windows 7, etc. I would not call that obsolete. It is not unuseful, it just isn't up to the task of modern DX11 gaming. There are plenty of brand new machines that also fit that description too.

Reply 3 of 126, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich wrote:

My C2D 6550 has no problems with modern web browsers, office apps, Windows 7, etc. I would not call that obsolete.

The C2Ds (I have a couple of them myself) handle these tasks you mentioned just fine, individually. But in multi-tasking they begin to suffer noticeably compared to the C2Q and modern CPUs. And of course in games that can utilize more than 2 cores.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 126, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The CPU tests in 3dmark 11 on the other hand isnt realistic for gaming or my dual Xeon X5690 would be the best gaming rig in the world 😁

The 4 GHz socket 775 Quad core system isnt nearly as fast as a 2nd or 3rd gen i7 but it is fast enough to run most of the latest games.

Here are some more benchmarks, this system did not have a high res screen.

Unigine Valley
UnigineValleyX5460GT.jpg

Unigine Heaven
UnigineHeavenX5460GT.jpg

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 5 of 126, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

honestly, I played Watchdogs on a q6600 OC'd to 3.6, with my GTX 660 and it was very playable, also not my FX6300 frequently looses to my old core 2 Quad, even at 4.5ghz it runs slower in alot of tasks compared to the old q6600, so I'd say yes, a Core 2 Quad is enough for today's games

Reply 6 of 126, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote:
obobskivich wrote:

My C2D 6550 has no problems with modern web browsers, office apps, Windows 7, etc. I would not call that obsolete.

The C2Ds (I have a couple of them myself) handle these tasks you mentioned just fine, individually. But in multi-tasking they begin to suffer noticeably compared to the C2Q and modern CPUs. And of course in games that can utilize more than 2 cores.

Nothing I've ever noticed - maybe I'm doing it wrong though.

Gaming isn't a factor for that machine so I have no idea how it would do. My Q9550 had no trouble with newer-ish games like Hitman 5, but I don't demand full max ultra at 99999 FPS. It ran it pretty well (~50 fps) at med-high.

Reply 7 of 126, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

candle_86:
It really depends on what is the definition of playable. If 30fps AVG is enough for you, then it is playable. For me it is not. Watch dogs at ultra details + 4xAA (i5 3330 + R9 290) "only" scores 45fps in the city and 60 outside. 60 is good, 45... not so much, but still playable. R9 290 is fast enough to deliver 60+ the whole game, unfortunately i5 @ 3,4GHz is not and because of that it drops to 45 quite often.

FX-6300 vs C2Q is not that different. They are both slow for my standards.

3Dmark CPU tests scale very well with multiple cores/threads. Current games are using four at best. I hope this will change when windows 10 and DX12 hits the market. With DX12, games should be less dependant on the CPU performance.

obobskivich wrote:

I think there needs to be a distinction between "modern games" and "software." My C2D 6550 has no problems with modern web browsers, office apps, Windows 7, etc. I would not call that obsolete. It is not unuseful, it just isn't up to the task of modern DX11 gaming. There are plenty of brand new machines that also fit that description too.

My laptop has a similar CPU (c2d T8100) and it is very hard to use because of the slow CPU. Web browsing is sluggish, video playback results in high CPU load (especially online video - flash), java programming is pain as well. I guess I'm too spoiled by the i5 performance. 🤣
Multitasking is indeed too demanding for c2d to handle.

Reply 8 of 126, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
havli wrote:
candle_86: It really depends on what is the definition of playable. If 30fps AVG is enough for you, then it is playable. For me […]
Show full quote

candle_86:
It really depends on what is the definition of playable. If 30fps AVG is enough for you, then it is playable. For me it is not. Watch dogs at ultra details + 4xAA (i5 3330 + R9 290) "only" scores 45fps in the city and 60 outside. 60 is good, 45... not so much, but still playable. R9 290 is fast enough to deliver 60+ the whole game, unfortunately i5 @ 3,4GHz is not and because of that it drops to 45 quite often.

FX-6300 vs C2Q is not that different. They are both slow for my standards.

3Dmark CPU tests scale very well with multiple cores/threads. Current games are using four at best. I hope this will change when windows 10 and DX12 hits the market. With DX12, games should be less dependant on the CPU performance.

obobskivich wrote:

My laptop has a similar CPU (c2d T8100) and it is very hard to use because of the slow CPU. Web browsing is sluggish, video playback results in high CPU load (especially online video - flash), java programming is pain as well. I guess I'm too spoiled by the i5 performance. 🤣
Multitasking is indeed too demanding for c2d to handle.

well anyone still using a Core2 isn't going to max their games out, I ran it medium, with low physics 1680x1050 and I was fairly smooth, only a few hiccups, but overall very very playable.

Reply 9 of 126, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

True.
Not all games can adjust the physics complexity though. Most of the time you can only lower graphics effects and details... which doesn't really help when CPU bottleneck occurs.

Reply 10 of 126, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm still using an E8400 Core 2 Duo (3GHz) and my PC is fast enough for everyday tasks.
However, I do agree that it probably will struggle a bit to cope with modern games (even if I upgrade my graphics card).

Reply 11 of 126, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just as a matter of interest.

How fast do you want the frame rate of your games to be?
Standard film is 24 fps, PAL tv is 25 fps and NTSC tv is 29.97fps.
I'd always thought that so long as the frame rate of your game doesn't drop below 30fps, the graphics should be smooth enough? Or, am I missing something here? Is it because the higher the resolution, the higher the frame rate should be?

Reply 12 of 126, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In theory - as fast as possible.
In practice it depends on type of the game, the person playing it and of course actual hardware limitation. The more action is on the screen and faster reaction needed, the faster framerate you want to have. Higher framerate greatly reduces inputlag, even when the monitor can't display it (fps is above the refresh rate). Playing Q3A multiplayer at... lets say 60 fps is a suicide. 125 or more is much better. Something like Age of Empires on the other hand runs fine even at 30 fps, altrough it feels smoother at 60+. 😀

Greater resolution (or more like the screen size) reqires better framerate.
Let me put it this way - if your screen is 30cm wide, an object travells at constant speed from one end of the screen to the other in 1 second (@ 30fps). Then every frame moves the object by 1cm. The same process on 60cm wide screen will result in 2cm step per frame. Of course this is much less smooth.

Check this test - http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates&count … nd=none&pps=720

Reply 13 of 126, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't really understand how 60 FPS is not enough for anything. That is 16.7 mS per frame. No normal human can react anywhere near 16.7mS. Even with triple buffering, that is only a 50mS lag.
Very close to best/worse case for human abilities to notice.

The total score is better by 28% for the i5 and the physics score is by 46% higher. So the i5 is almost 50% faster while clocked 600 MHz less.

Significant but not necessarily relevant. It shouldn't be a surprise that CPUs made 6 years newer would be faster. But in many games, you will be GPU bound unless you have a really high end GPU anyway
so a faster CPU won't help.

Reply 14 of 126, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

60fps is enough for any game, as far as graphics are concerned. But when the input lag is tied to the framerate, a high and stable fps count makes a difference.

Anyway, I have a 120Hz monitor and I do notice when something messes up my configurations and drops me back to 60Hz while in the desktop (the mouse pointer moviment looks a bit less smooth), though I'm not sure I'd notice anything in games;

Reply 15 of 126, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jesolo wrote:
Just as a matter of interest. […]
Show full quote

I'd always thought that so long as the frame rate of your game doesn't drop below 30fps, the graphics should be smooth enough? Or, am I missing something here? Is it because the higher the resolution, the higher the frame rate should be?

interlacing is key for the older formats, now progressive scan im not sure how they trick us into not seeing the stutter, but I notice it in games below 45FPS i will notice a stutter

Reply 16 of 126, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:
jesolo wrote:
Just as a matter of interest. […]
Show full quote

interlacing is key for the older formats, now progressive scan im not sure how they trick us into not seeing the stutter, but I notice it in games below 45FPS i will notice a stutter

At 45 FPS, it may not be the framerate but rather frametime variance that is bothering you. Unfortunately CPU bottlenecks are more likely to cause frame rate variances.

Reply 17 of 126, by joe6pack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's a number for a more modest 775 system that I just built, mostly from stuff I already had around. The motherboard is kinda crap but it gets the job done for now. I didn't really plan on playing anything newer than say 2008 on this machine, but hey maybe now I'll give it a try.

PrOWsRWm.png

Significantly lower score than the 8763 posted before. No plans to go all out with this system, so I'm happy. Also just noticed my command rate is at 2T...time to go see if 1T will work or not...

Reply 18 of 126, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

C2D is a great platform. But I found it not so cheap to obtain, even to this day. Especially C2Q are holding their value very well.

For an awesome Windows XP machine, I prefer going with Socket 1156 or 1155 or AMD AM3. They are XP compatible and boards paired with cheap Pentium or Athlon processors are cheap and plentiful. I've done some benchmarks in games such as Far Cry, Doom, FEAR but haven't put them together in a write up yet. But the experience was great, no issues or incompatibilities to report.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 19 of 126, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote:

PAL tv is 25 fps and NTSC tv is 29.97fps.

Not entirely true. While interlaced TV takes two passes to draw an entire frame, if the source is a plain interlaced video camera then both fields of a particular frame will most likely capture motion at two distinct points in time, therefore motion is perceived at the field rate (50/60) instead of the frame rate (25/30). This is why television is classified as "high motion" and the cause of the "video look", also known as "the soap opera effect". Telecined movies, television shows shot on film and other generated content are an exception to this.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com