VOGONS

Reply 40 of 126, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

C2D is a great platform. But I found it not so cheap to obtain, even to this day. Especially C2Q are holding their value very well.

Is there any reason why 45nm Core2s are still expensive? Also anyone else here using a X38/X48 board? I still use a Xeon E3110 (C2D E8400) on a Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4 as my daily driver. I wish they still made motherboards that full of ports.

Reply 41 of 126, by Zenn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I noticed that too in the local computer forums... My guess is probably because they are still (relatively) relevant for day-to-day computing and that 45nm C2Q were the last of the LGA 775 breed. Late models/high end parts tend to age more gracefully as compared to the high-volume, mass market parts. Could be due to nostalgia too?

Reply 42 of 126, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It it too early for nostalgia in this case imho.
Fastest CPU for any platform is always overpriced. A64 X2 6400+ costs twice as much as a 6000+. AM2+ Phenoms X4 also keep their value much higher than X3 or X2. C2Q is no exception for this rule.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 44 of 126, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appleiiguy wrote:

Anybody think putting a Xeon in a 775 system will eek out a bit more performance?

http://www.delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/

Some members here on the forum have already done that, the system that started this thread runs a Xeon X5460 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 45 of 126, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NJRoadfan wrote:

Is there any reason why 45nm Core2s are still expensive? Also anyone else here using a X38/X48 board? I still use a Xeon E3110 (C2D E8400) on a Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4 as my daily driver. I wish they still made motherboards that full of ports.

I have one of each - an X38 with a C2D E6550, and an X48 with a C2Q 9550. The 9550 was my daily driver for years. Price-wise I have no idea why they're so expensive, but havli's theory may be correct. The 65nm chips aren't so bad - even the extreme edition models (X6800 and QX6700) aren't terrible imho. I honestly don't remember if the 45nm chips are just cooler running and newer, or if they had specific advantages (like clock for clock or extra features or whatever) to the 65nm series. I know my 65nm chips don't seem to have any troubles as auxiliary machines, so I'd assume there isn't anything too dramatic separating them. 😊

Reply 46 of 126, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
havli wrote:

It it too early for nostalgia in this case imho.
Fastest CPU for any platform is always overpriced. A64 X2 6400+ costs twice as much as a 6000+. AM2+ Phenoms X4 also keep their value much higher than X3 or X2. C2Q is no exception for this rule.

About socket 775 CPU prices.

Prices in Sweden (Tradera)

Any socket 775 P4/Netburst Celeron except for the P4 3.8: ~0.1 Euro
P4 3.8: 5-10 Euro.
Any Pentium D below 3.4: ~1 Euro
Pentium D 950: 2-4 Euro.
Pentium D 960: 5-10 Euro

Celeron E1xxx: ~0.1 Euro

Pentium dual core E2*** Below 2.2 GHz: ~0.1 Euro
Pentium dual core E2200: 1-3 Euro
Pentium dualcore E2220: ~5 Euro.
Pentium dual core E5xxx below 3 GHz: 0.1 - 5 Euro
Pentium dual core E5700 ~5 Euro
Pentium dual core E5800 ~10 Euro
Pentium dual core E6xxx below 3 GHz: ~1 Euro
Pentium dual core E6600 ~5 Euro
Pentium dual core E6700 ~10 Euro
Pentium dual core E6800 ~15 Euro

Core 2 Duo E4200/E4300/E4400: 0.1 Euro
Core 2 Duo E4500: 1-3 Euro
Core 2 Duo E4600 2-5 Euro
Core 2 Duo E4700 ~10 Euro.

Core 2 Duo E6x00 below 2.4 GHz: 0.1 Euro
Core 2 Duo E6600: 1-5 Euro
Core 2 Duo E6700: ~10 Euro.
Core 2 Duo E6x50 below 2.66 Ghz: 0.1 Euro
Core 2 Duo E6750: 1-5 Euro
Core 2 Duo E6850 5-10 Euro.

Core 2 Duo E7xxx below 3 Ghz: 0.1-5 Euro
Core 2 Duo E7600: 5-10 Euro

Core 2 Duo E8x00 below 3 GHz: 0.1 - 3 Euro
Core 2 Duo E8400: 1 -5 Euro
Core 2 Duo E8500: 1-15 Euro
Core 2 Duo E8600: 20-30 Euro

Core 2 Quad Q6400: ~10 Euro
Core 2 Quad Q6600: 10 - 20 Euro
Core 2 Quad Q6700: 20-30 Euro
Core 2 Quad Q8xxx: 10-15 Euro
Core 2 Quad Q9xxx with 6 MB cache: 15-30 Euro
Core 2 Quad Q9xxx with 12 MB cache below 3 GHz: 30 - 60 Euro
Core 2 Quad Q9650: 50 - 80 Euro.

Exteme editions are priced somewhat below the Ebay prices but there are not enough of them to really say what they usually cost.

Its easy to see the pattern 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 48 of 126, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Socket 775 is still very very expensive in the UK, though I find the prices for motherboards the most disgusting.

Even a really shitty one has a minimum of around £30-35 and good ones don't exist (We love cheap ASUS, Gigabyte and ASRock in the UK and it is hard to source anything else new anyway, any other brand boards were most likely imported by the original owner), so you have to settle for a less shitty one (Still shitty) at almost the same price as a brand new 1150 SuperMicro board... A brand new Tyan might even be cheaper than an old 775 Gigabyte... At the end of the day you may as well just import a SuperMicro/Tyan from the USA, many are still NEW IN THE BOX and even with Express super-insured-all-taxes-paid shipping, it costs just as much as a run down Mexican wrestler looking novelty piece of junk from ASUS/Gigabyte/ASRock/MSI/Whatever other Wan Hung Lo company, the difference is that the SuperMicro/Tyan is most likely going to work properly.

The P4EE isn't too expensive here compared with the regular P4, less than £100.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 49 of 126, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:

Socket 775 is still very very expensive in the UK, though I find the prices for motherboards the most disgusting.

Even a really shitty one has a minimum of around £30-35 and good ones don't exist (We love cheap ASUS, Gigabyte and ASRock in the UK and it is hard to source anything else new anyway, any other brand boards were most likely imported by the original owner), so you have to settle for a less shitty one (Still shitty) at almost the same price as a brand new 1150 SuperMicro board... A brand new Tyan might even be cheaper than an old 775 Gigabyte.

If you want stability with a socket 775 system and a Quad Core at least 4 power phases for the CPU is pretty much a must have.

Socket 775 motherboard prices are crazy here in Sweden aswell. A good P965/975X/P35 board is 30 Euro, a good P45 board is 30 - 40 Euro and a good X38/X48 board is 40 - 70 Euro. Nvidia SLI boards are 20 Euro for a low end Nforce 650 to about 70 Euro for a top end DDR3 board. All i915, 925X(E) 955X and 945 boards are cheap though. OEM boards with Q35/Q45 are selling for less than 10 Euro so if you dont mind a locked BIOS and lousy performance and only want stability those are the best options for running later socket 775 CPUs.

Reply 50 of 126, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:

Even a really shitty one has a minimum of around £30-35 and good ones don't exist (We love cheap ASUS, Gigabyte and ASRock in the UK and it is hard to source anything else new anyway, any other brand boards were most likely imported by the original owner), so you have to settle for a less shitty one (Still shitty) at almost the same price as a brand new 1150 SuperMicro board... A brand new Tyan might even be cheaper than an old 775 Gigabyte... At the end of the day you may as well just import a SuperMicro/Tyan from the USA, many are still NEW IN THE BOX and even with Express super-insured-all-taxes-paid shipping, it costs just as much as a run down Mexican wrestler looking novelty piece of junk from ASUS/Gigabyte/ASRock/MSI/Whatever other Wan Hung Lo company, the difference is that the SuperMicro/Tyan is most likely going to work properly.

yea depends on what your doing with the system, I wouldn't use a Tyan or SuperMicro Board or even Intel for that matter for an overclocking or gaming system. They simply are not built for either purpose. I'll take my ASUS/MSI/Gigabyte boards anyday thanks

Reply 51 of 126, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't waste £100 on a P4 even an EE

If you want stability with a socket 775 system and a Quad Core at least 4 power phases for the CPU is pretty much a must have.

I didn't know they had 775 boards with less than 4 power phases

Reply 52 of 126, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smeezekitty wrote:

I wouldn't waste £100 on a P4 even an EE

I think the socket 478 P4 EE is a very nice CPU but I would not pay that kind of money either.

smeezekitty wrote:

Look at the "really shitty" board HighTreason linked.

Reply 53 of 126, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

Look at the "really shitty" board HighTreason linked.

The ASUS P2B was a fine motherboard though, I used one to take a Q6600 to 3.6 and ran it that way for 4 years before I sold the system.

Reply 54 of 126, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sure I can find a worse one for you if you want, we're real cheapskates over here when it comes to buying things.

I wasn't saying I agreed with the prices for the EE here, just that they aren't too much more than what you'd probably end up paying for a regular P4 anyway. Abot half of the Pentium D 900 lineup is cheap though, I got one (A spare 950) a few days back for a grand total of 1.91 because the seller was asking an unusually low £3 so me and my friend decided to put in stupid offers - I told you us Brits were stingey. Surprising really, they weren't a very popular processor here as far as I know... But there was a Stone branded system that had them in at the time which would have been at many colleges which may be where they have all come from. All such institutions around my city upgraded to the original P4 with XP when it came out and then supplemented some for more powerful systems around 2006, they finally got shot of the whole thing in 2012/13 in favor of i3's and i5's with Windows 7 I think but they were still running an ancient version of Novell Netware on the network and many of the servers were from the mid 1990s, one even had shares for DOS applications nobody used.

I would NEVER buy a gaming board if I could help it. Usually they are just an old Server board with it's balls cut off, like that ASUS P5Q is. Buying one second hand is worse because they probably belonged to some idiot who decided they needed to overclock everything rather than actually build a good machine and configure it properly in the first place.

Last edited by HighTreason on 2015-04-16, 20:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 55 of 126, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice pricelist Skyscraper - here in Czech Republic stuff you mentioned costs usually double or more. Buying E8400 here for less than 15€ is a miracle. 😠
775 boards are quite expensive as well - at least 35€ for decent P35 and 50€ for X38/hiend nForce.

The P4 EE - maybe it is better to get the 3.2 GHz Gallatin Xeon. It is 200MHz slower and only 533MHz FSB, however it is possible to run dual-CPU config. 😀 Socket 604 boards are not that expensive either.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 56 of 126, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:

I'm sure I can find a worse one for you if you want, we're real cheapskates over here when it comes to buying things.

I wasn't saying I agreed with the prices for the EE here, just that they aren't too much more than what you'd probably end up paying for a regular P4 anyway. Abot half of the Pentium D 900 lineup is cheap though, I got one (A spare 950) a few days back for a grand total of 1.91 because the seller was asking an unusually low £3 so me and my friend decided to put in stupid offers - I told you us Brits were stingey. Surprising really, they weren't a very popular processor here as far as I know... But there was a Stone branded system that had them in at the time which would have been at many colleges which may be where they have all come from. All such institutions around my city upgraded to the original P4 with XP when it came out and then supplemented some for more powerful systems around 2006, they finally got shot of the whole thing in 2012/13 in favor of i3's and i5's with Windows 7 I think but they were still running an ancient version of Novell Netware on the network and many of the servers were from the mid 1990s, one even had shares for DOS applications nobody used.

I would NEVER buy a gaming board if I could help it. Usually they are just an old Server board with it's balls cut off, like that ASUS P5Q is. Buying one second hand is worse because they probably belonged to some idiot who decided they needed to overclock everything rather than actually build a good machine and configure it properly in the first place.

I'm forced to disagree, someone that overclocks doesn't do it because they don't know how to configure something, they do it because its fun. I didn't spend half a day find the max clock for my FX6300, or a day finding out I can run my P4 3.0 at 3.6 100% stable with 1.6V because I needed to, I did it because its fun. Server boards are great for servers, but the extra error correction makes them slower than consumer boards, because all that extra error checking will affect performance in things like games. I had a SuperMicro S775 board, gave it to a 4year old to use with a Core2 E4300 as her first computer, why because I didn't like the fact it took 3 minutes to finish posting.

Reply 57 of 126, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a valid reason to do it, but when you ask most people they respond "To run game x" despite the fact it runs maxed out on, say, my rig with previous gen hardware just fine, which is why I reached the conclusion I did. I still wouldn't want to spend my money on a motherboard owned by someone like you though - not saying you don't know what you're doing, it's just a matter of excess wear.

I can't agree on the SuperO/Tyan thing though, the error correction is generally optional on smaller boards as they typically use the same chipset or one that is basically the same as the gaming board but with much better quality control. POST time is not even a factor because it isn't important, I'll bet you're one of those nutters who blew hundreds of dollars on Solid State Disks for no good reason. The MTBF simply outweighs the lack of overclocking features for me, even on a gaming machine. Though to be honest, I pretty much quit gaming over a decade ago now. Any machine past that was built with workstation/server hardware anyway... I only built one and it is still running.

Reply 58 of 126, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HighTreason wrote:

That's a valid reason to do it, but when you ask most people they respond "To run game x" despite the fact it runs maxed out on, say, my rig with previous gen hardware just fine, which is why I reached the conclusion I did. I still wouldn't want to spend my money on a motherboard owned by someone like you though - not saying you don't know what you're doing, it's just a matter of excess wear.

I can't agree on the SuperO/Tyan thing though, the error correction is generally optional on smaller boards as they typically use the same chipset or one that is basically the same as the gaming board but with much better quality control. POST time is not even a factor because it isn't important, I'll bet you're one of those nutters who blew hundreds of dollars on Solid State Disks for no good reason. The MTBF simply outweighs the lack of overclocking features for me, even on a gaming machine. Though to be honest, I pretty much quit gaming over a decade ago now. Any machine past that was built with workstation/server hardware anyway... I only built one and it is still running.

People aren't buying SSD's for their raw throughput or faster boot up times, they are (or should be) buying them for their far superior random seek times. And really, you shouldn't stop gaming, there's far worse things in this world to get hooked on than gaming. Gaming will keep you sane, give you something to talk about, save you money, and not make you feel like shit when you're done. 😉

Reply 59 of 126, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And what use are these random seek times in this kind of scenario? I'm far more interested in capacity and sequential read/write. I remember when SSDs became the "cool" thing to have and my friend put these shitty 32GB Corsair ones in, he had SATA III and I still had SATA II, but I used to just sit and laugh at him getting jelly over my much cheaper WD Black RAID 0 setup.

I'd still game, but the last really good one came out in 2005 and the last tolerable one came out around 2009. So I'm done with it. It's all corporate bullshit or so-called "indie" rip-off trash.