VOGONS

First post, by smevans526

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My machine is an IBM Aptiva with a pentium 166 running DOS 6.22 and WINDOWS 3.11. For sound, I installed a soundblaster 32 CT3930 off of eBay. I installed 32mb ram on the card, yes, I know it cannot read that much.

If I boot the machine and then run DOOM, I will only be able to get FM synth for the soundFX, no midi comes from the EMU8000.

To get the midi, I need to run sb16/diagnose... and I do not even change any settings. DOOM just starts running the EMU8000. However, something is wrong... the midi is really quite. I need to put Music Volume and FX volume on opposite extremes just to get somewhat satisfactory experience (and something still sounds off about the midi).

However. the build engine game BLOOD runs the EMU8000 without need of the 'sb16/diagnose', but, it still sounds quite.

Any advice would be appreciated. Here are some other facts...

-DSP is version 4.13.

-After selecting "awe32", Doom asks me for a midi port I/0 address. This is a lower number (around 300), like for an MPU-401. If I am using awe32 for midi, why is it looking for an external midi device? After running diagnose, it doesn't matter what midi I/0 I pick.

-BLOOD told me that the EMU8000 runs at 600. By the way, is there a way to change the I/O for the EMU8000?

-I have a Roland S-MPU-IIAT for sound canvas and MT-32. Yes I know it's not the best but it has what I want and need. I decided to put the CT3930 on I/0 300 for UART, and, disable it's UART by pulling the appropriate jumper. I figured I needed to pull 'MPUEN'. However, the following site to told me to pull jumper 8...

http://pbclub.pwcsite.com/PBInfo/Jumpers/Soun … R-32-CT393.html

Perhaps this is an error?

-I am using the DOS.WIN 3.1 awe32 driver, which I think came from this site.

By the way. I have access to a CT3900 (which I would need to pay for). Any thoughts on a CT3900 vs CT3930? I do not care about attaching a daughter board to the card and, as you know, I have no need for the CT3900's built in ram. I and more concerned with a clean sounding OPL/FM-synth.

thank you all

Reply 2 of 16, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

smevans526, could you post your config.sys and autoexec.bat?

I've put together some resources to help with setting up DOS gaming machines:

http://www.philscomputerlab.com/phils-dos-starter-pack.html

http://www.philscomputerlab.com/installing-aw … -in-ms-dos.html

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 16, by smevans526

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, below is the autoexec.bat and config.sys. But first, here are some comments...

-I tried opening the MPUEN jumper and closing jumper 8. Made no difference.

-Diagnose.exe was already in autoexec.bat

-The CT3930 is not plug and play, I am not finding too much to use in philscomputerlab second link. The first link, OK, but the issue is how get the card working. I'm not new to the world of DOS, this is a very specific issue.

-I realised that Blood in 'awe32 mode' sounds the same as 'sounblaster 16 mode'. I don't think, it using the EMU8000.

-I made a mistake, EMU8000 I/O is, and has been, set at 620.

-AWEUTILS is in the autoexec.bat. It shows a status bar for my 'reverb' and 'chorus'. The bars seem to set themselves randomly each time I boot, without any modification from me.

-----AUTOEXEC.BAT--------
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P300 E620 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\AWEUTIL /S
C:\SB16\SB16SET /P /Q
rem ---------------------- MTM ATAPI CD-ROM ----------------------
LH /L:1,36224 C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MTMIDE01 /M:10
C:\SMPU2\SMPUENA.EXE -p330 -i9
LH /L:0;1,45456 /S C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
set mouse=C:\Mouse
LH /L:0;1,24304 /S C:\Mouse\mouse.exe /Q
PATH C:\MOUSE;C:\WINDOWS;C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
------------------------

------config.sys------
DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CTSB16.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:5
DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS
FILES=40
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
BUFFERS=15,0
REM ** FILES=30
DOS=UMB
LASTDRIVE=D
FCBS=4,0
DEVICEHIGH /L:1,12048 =C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DOS=HIGH
STACKS=9,256
[COMMON]
DEVICE=C:\MTM\MTMCDAI.SYS /D:MTMIDE01

Reply 4 of 16, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smevans526 wrote:

-I realised that Blood in 'awe32 mode' sounds the same as 'sounblaster 16 mode'. I don't think, it using the EMU8000.

If it asks for the EMU8000's address, then I guess it is using it. It is just that it probably sounds a lot like AWE's GM emulation (because it probably doesn't use any of the chip's specific capabilities).

smevans526 wrote:

-AWEUTILS is in the autoexec.bat. It shows a status bar for my 'reverb' and 'chorus'. The bars seem to set themselves randomly each time I boot, without any modification from me.

Can't you specify those at the command line? If so, try setting them to a fixed value.
Also, are you using the in-game mixers to change the MIDI and WAVE volumes? If so, try changing them with AWE's own mixer. If it works, I'm sure there is a way to specify those levels as command-line parameters so you can set those in AUTOEXEC.BAT.

Reply 5 of 16, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smevans526 wrote:

Any advice would be appreciated. Here are some other facts...

I've got this card, not currently installed though, and I rememebr similar issues to quiet sound output. And alo a PITA to get working. IIRC, the CT3930 doesn't have a mixer, can't exactly remember, but I think I had to run a mixer utility anyway in Autoexec.bat - not sure on the exact version. Try placing Mixerset.exe with the appropriate parameters in you Autoexec.bat - there are various versions of Mixerset.exe, and some may prodice error messages. Hope this helps, as I do recall getting it all working eventually, but this was a long time ago.

EDIT:
I see "C:\SB16\SB16SET /P /Q" in your Autoexec.bat, so remember to remove the SB16SET.exe entry before adding the Mixerset.exe entry. Also, try adding the "pause" command after each line in your Autoexec.bat, so that any error messages will be easier to check when Autoexec.bat runs.

Reply 6 of 16, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So this card is "semi pnp" type card, with a few jumpers?

I would try resolving with just the Sound Blaster. Remove the Roland, and any other ISA cards that might take up resources.

In the BIOS disable resources you don't need. USB, Serial, Parallel ports, onboard sound card if present.

Then remove all Sound Blaster related entries in Autoexec.bat and Config.sys.

Then grab the SB16 basic drivers from the Creative site (it's a executable), run it to unpack, then run SETUP.

If all goes well the card should work. Once you know everything works, then you add the Roland and see if you can sort it out.

This one looks odd to me (never seen it before): C:\SMPU2\SMPUENA.EXE -p330 -i9 Is this Soft MPU? Maybe comment this one out as well for the time being.

Reply 7 of 16, by smevans526

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Concerning alexanrs's first comment: To my ears, BLOOD's sb16-mode and awe32-mode sound exactly the same on my PC during gameplay. I can test the awe32 and and sb16 in BLOOD's SETUP utility; there, they sound completely different.

Concerning j^aws's comment: I think that putting the mixer in the autoexec is a good idea. I don't have time to try it at the moment, though.

Concerning philscomputerlab's comments: The SMPUENA.EXE is the driver for the S-MPU-IIAT. The S-MPU-IIAT is PnP and my system recognised it from the bios... is C:\SMPU2\SMPUENA.EXE -p330 -i9 not needed?

Also, why are you under the impression that the CT3930 is PnP or 'semi-PnP'? The DMA, I/O, and IRQ are all set with jumpers. It is basically an awe32 without the 512kB built-in ram and the daughterboard attachment. It does FM synth a little different, though. It features a Vibra chip, yet, has a genuine OPL3 chip.

You mentioned clearing everything and putting on the sb16 driver. Will I still get to use the EMU8000?

Just so that everyone is on the same page... fm-synth works and sounds fine... the issue is the EMU8000.

Reply 8 of 16, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just like to start with just the Sound Blaster before adding any other cards, I call it semi PnP because of habit. Might confuse more than it helps. E.g. some Sound Blaster cards have a few jumpers, and when you run the SETUP from the SBBASIC driver, it skips installing CTCM PnP Manager, which is obviously not needed. But some resources are still changed via software.

I'd just backup your startup files and give it a go. Nothing to lose.

Regarding AWE synth: https://youtu.be/SlCQApL4g38

This is what Doom should sound like with it,

Reply 9 of 16, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smevans526 wrote:

Concerning j^aws's comment: I think that putting the mixer in the autoexec is a good idea. I don't have time to try it at the moment, though.

I had this card in mind for a permanent addition to one of my builds, so tried installing it again in DOS, and managed to get everything working in DOS 6.22. My version of the CT3930 doesn't have any IDE headers and jumpers. I chose these settings: Port 220, IRQ 5, DMA Low 1, DMA High 5, MPU 300, EMU 620. The EMU 620 part is configured in software. Double check all your jumper settings with this:

http://www.uncreativelabs.de/th99/i/C-D/53596.htm

A clean install would be ideal without any other sound cards installed in your PC. Firstly, install the Vibra16 chipset files:

Filename
Vibra16 Install Disk.rar
File size
734.17 KiB
Downloads
95 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
Vibra16 Accessories Disk.rar
File size
958.06 KiB
Downloads
83 downloads
File license

Copy the above contents to 2 floppy disks and follow instructions and install to Vibra16 directory. I don't have Windows installed, so I skipped that part. Reboot, and ensure the FM and SB parts are working. The correct version of MIXERSET.EXE is installed - run it in your Vibra16 directory and save your settings.

Then copy the following files, DIAGNOSE.EXE and AWEUTIL.COM into the Vibra16 directory, overwriting the old version of DIAGNOSE.EXE:

Filename
CT3930.rar
File size
168.33 KiB
Downloads
94 downloads
File license

The above .rar contains the DIAGNOSE.EXE with the EMU testing utility and the correct version of AWEUTIL with functioning Chorus/ Reverb for the CT3930 (other versions may work too, but I managed to get this working). Run DIAGNOSE.EXE within the Vibra16 folder, follow instructions and test FM, SB and AWE. Update settings and reboot.

After reboot, check if the AWEUTIL entry is in Autoexec.bat, if not, add entry with the /S parameter, /C:xxx and /R:xxx for Chorus/ Reverb. Reboot and test. Also run MIXERSET.EXE in the Vibra16 folder and increase volume as desired. I'm using the Line Out rather than the Speaker Out jack, and this card has a clean sound.

AFAIK, this card doesn't add Reverb/ Chorus to FM output, but instead, releases 2 extra voices for the EMU, making it 32 Voices instead of 30.

Reply 10 of 16, by smevans526

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have good news and bad news.

Out of curiosity, I replaced the old diagnose.exe with the one you posted in my sb16 folder. I also replaced aweutil.com. Not that this is still using the set of drivers posted on VOGONS. I believe it is for the CT3900 and not designed for the VIBRA chip.

I met with success in that DOOM correctly loaded the card upon boot and as worked expected. However, BLOOD still sounded like fm synth.

So, I cleared all of the drivers and clean installed the VIBRA16 drivers you installed, following your directions. When I tested 'AWE synthesised music' in DIAGNOSE.EXE, it was the wrote song, but it sounded like FM synth... like the OPL was emulating the EMU??? Again, I know the difference... that test was not write.

Out of frustration, I formatted the system and clean installed DOS... only to meet similar results. BLOOd has always sounded like fm synth.

j^aws, what does your 'AWE synthesised music' sound like?

Does anyone have track of BLOOD running in awe32?

Reply 13 of 16, by smevans526

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I do not have many awe32 games, but, DOOM and WARCRAFT work fine. I put on the after market awe32 patch for Quest for Glory 4. It sounds amazing, maybe even better than Sound Canvas. The only trouble: BLOOD. Sometimes it makes no music at all. Sometimes it keeps the music from the demo level and never changes regardless of my level (still OPL3). I have yet to hear awe32 on BLOOD. I have no other build engine games. I am starting to think that the game does not like the CT3930.

Reply 14 of 16, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smevans526 wrote:

j^aws, what does your 'AWE synthesised music' sound like?

Look in your VIBRA16\DRV directory, and you should see a file called CTMIDI.DRV - make a backup of that file and replace it with a more upto date version:

Filename
CTMIDI.rar
File size
22.76 KiB
Downloads
82 downloads
File license

You probably have an older version which makes the EMU synth sound more FM-like.

I have multiple "DRV" directories installed, and the "SET SOUND=" path in my Autoexec.bat can be made flexible. With the above CTMIDI.DRV file, the EMU DIAGNOSE test sounds like the one bjt posted. With the older one, it sounds more like FM, as you describe. Which makes me wonder how other versions of this driver would sound...

Let me know how you get on. I don't have Blood at the moment to test, otherwise I'd let you know how that sounds.

Reply 15 of 16, by smevans526

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don' know where you keep finding these files, but thank you. The good news is that the new CTMIDI driver fixed the fm-synth sound in DIAGNOSE.EXE. No luck with BLOOD, though... I know that, so far. it appears to be just one game, but still, if something is wrong... I would like to fix it.

Reply 16 of 16, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smevans526 wrote:

I don' know where you keep finding these files, but thank you. The good news is that the new CTMIDI driver fixed the fm-synth sound in DIAGNOSE.EXE. No luck with BLOOD, though... I know that, so far. it appears to be just one game, but still, if something is wrong... I would like to fix it.

I don't think this issue with Blood is specific to the CT3930 - I've downloaded the demo version of Blood, and I get 'FM' sounding music in-game, but more AWE32-like in the Setup utility for Blood. It seems others are getting similar results with the AWE64 too, as noted in this recent thread:

Can anyone record the Blood theme on the AWE64 Gold?