VOGONS

First post, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok so for quite awhile now my Intel DX4-100Mhz 486 system has been a straight out DOS only machine and no issues with the SB16 SCSI-2 at all. I recently install Windows 3.11 WFW and issues have arised. I've formatted multiple times and the issue still persists, anytime I go into Windows 3.11 and exit it to run a DOS game I lose FM Synth completely.

I've installed the official drivers from the original floppies that came with my SB16 SCSI-2 and then upgraded to the newest SB16 drivers that are still available from Creative Labs because I seem to have been getting a Exit from Windows hangup where it wasn't dropping to DOS.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-486VS rev.6 with a slightly older BIOS but I can't upgrade the BIOS because I don't have an eeprom burner.

Any ideas what could be going on? Is it a BIOS issue and thus making me screwed? Is it Windows 3.11 just being a punk, or is it something fixable?

Thanks in advance. 😎

Last edited by Chaniyth on 2015-04-20, 15:58. Edited 1 time in total.

All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you. 😁

Reply 2 of 3, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

Have you checked the sound card's mixer? Perhaps the Windows drivers mute the FM synthesis and do not set it to the original level when Windows exits.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I double checked it, the volume level seems to be the same. It's just confusing as to what's going on.

All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you. 😁

Reply 3 of 3, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I dunno what I did different during that re-install of the entire system but it's finally seemed to have fixed itself. However i'm suspecting it was because I had the SB16's csp driver line in config.sys set to devicehigh instead of just device.