VOGONS

Reply 3921 of 4607, by holdencars11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-10-24, 07:31:

It might be a special card that pairs with a chip on the motherboard, which is why it's so short.

I haven't located another HD Audio chip on the m/b.. it may be under one of the heatsinks to deal with optical out, but under the metal plate on the breakout card is an Analog Devices ADI 1988B.

Ryzen5 1600AF/ASRock B450Mac/16Gb/HD7750
i7 2600K/P67A-C43/16GB/GTX560
i7 960/MSI X58 Pro/8GB/8800GTS
Athlon II x4 620/GA-M56-S3/8GB/8800GTS
Duron 1300/A7S333/512MB/MX440
6x86MX PR200/PC Chips M571/64MB/ET6000
NEC PowerMate1 268 10MHz
And another 40 rigs.

Reply 3922 of 4607, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found a partial computer sitting next to a dumpster at a job site and seeing it had cpu fan and ram still in board grabbed it. The case side was not with it (probably in the recycle bin but did not see it).
To my surprise saw it was a Asrock Fatality Z77 Pro board is why I grabbed it (unlike the odd OEM board I found last time). At home found it has i7-3770k cpu and 2 x 8Gb DDR 1600mhz dimms,
also in case was a Corsair CX750M PSU with all the modular cables. All was dirty as hell (dust bunnies plugging the cpu and psu fans) plus dust/film all over the mobo and parts (but not cig smoke).
Cleaned the PSU and it works OK...well my good PSU tester says so. Cleaned the board best I could without a full washing since the humidity today is 100% with fog and rain so would have to low temp bake it to proper dry.
Anyway ... have not tested board but am sure the cpu and ram are ok....also inside was a PCIE dual (B key + M key) M.2 + SATA SSD adapter.. too bad whoever grabbed the drives, would have been a bonus 😁
Some pictures. EDIT: fixed the top pictures....

Attachments

• Img_2044sr.jpg
    Filename
    Img_2044sr.jpg
    File size
    200.34 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Img_2045sr.jpg
    Filename
    Img_2045sr.jpg
    File size
    161.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Img_2050s.jpg
    Filename
    Img_2050s.jpg
    File size
    111.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3923 of 4607, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2022-11-03, 01:38:
Found a partial computer sitting next to a dumpster at a job site and seeing it had cpu fan and ram still in board grabbed it. T […]
Show full quote

Found a partial computer sitting next to a dumpster at a job site and seeing it had cpu fan and ram still in board grabbed it. The case side was not with it (probably in the recycle bin but did not see it).
To my surprise saw it was a Asrock Fatality Z77 Pro board is why I grabbed it (unlike the odd OEM board I found last time). At home found it has i7-3770k cpu and 2 x 8Gb DDR 1600mhz dimms,
also in case was a Corsair CX750M PSU with all the modular cables. All was dirty as hell (dust bunnies plugging the cpu and psu fans) plus dust/film all over the mobo and parts (but not cig smoke).
Cleaned the PSU and it works OK...well my good PSU tester says so. Cleaned the board best I could without a full washing since the humidity today is 100% with fog and rain so would have to low temp bake it to proper dry.
Anyway ... have not tested board but am sure the cpu and ram are ok....also inside was a PCIE dual (B key + M key) M.2 + SATA SSD adapter.. too bad whoever grabbed the drives, would have been a bonus 😁

Really nice!

You must lead a virtuous life for providence to send such serendipitous finds your way. 😉

Reply 3924 of 4607, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2022-11-03, 01:55:

Really nice!

You must lead a virtuous life for providence to send such serendipitous finds your way. 😉

No Just got lucky. And it lives !! 😁 The board needs better cleaning but will tackle that sometime later....just wanting to see if a quick clean and re-seat would get something....
Took a bit of finesse but got it to boot up a few times using same original psu and cheap pcie 9400GT so all is OK so far. And yes the coin cell was dead 🤣

Attachments

• Img_2054s.jpg
    Filename
    Img_2054s.jpg
    File size
    193.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3925 of 4607, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2022-11-03, 03:33:

Really nice!

No Just got lucky. And it lives !! 😁 The board needs better cleaning but will tackle that sometime later....just wanting to see if a quick clean and re-seat would get something....
Took a bit of finesse but got it to boot up a few times using same original psu and cheap pcie 9400GT so all is OK so far. And yes the coin cell was dead 🤣

You did indeed get lucky and I would say that the system got lucky too, putting aside the indignity of being trashed "alive", that poor thing was literally (used in a figurative sense here 😉 ) suffocating under a coat of dust until you rescued it .

Reply 3926 of 4607, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Horun: This is absolutely gorgeous: the fastest WinXP build with official support and still a very capable Win10 build. Like darry said: both you and the machine got lucky.

Reply 3927 of 4607, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2022-11-03, 03:33:

Really nice!

a good result indeed!

Reply 3929 of 4607, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-11-03, 16:44:

~250€ Ebay value and people throw it away.
Unbelievable.

I bet the dust-clogged CPU cooling fan caused overheating and the owner didn't know that cleaning the fan could solve the problem easily. If the owner had the money to build such a high-end system but didn't know how to clean the fan or update the BIOS, it was very likely to replace the entire system without fixing the old one.

Reply 3930 of 4607, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found 4 SAS drives which I haven't tested and a big spindle of blank cd-r

20221103_183635.jpg
Filename
20221103_183635.jpg
File size
297.54 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 3931 of 4607, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-11-03, 16:44:

~250€ Ebay value and people throw it away.
Unbelievable.

Or it was a pissed off parent trying to chase the child out of the room. 😁

Reply 3932 of 4607, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lolo799 wrote on 2022-11-03, 17:45:

Nice ! Hope those HD's work

dormcat wrote on 2022-11-03, 17:36:

I bet the dust-clogged CPU cooling fan caused overheating and the owner didn't know that cleaning the fan could solve the problem easily. If the owner had the money to build such a high-end system but didn't know how to clean the fan or update the BIOS, it was very likely to replace the entire system without fixing the old one.

Think you are correct, the PSU was as full of dust as the CPU fan so one of them probably tripped thermal limiting/shut down situation a few too many times or just quit working.

The motherboard is a good example of what all could be included back around 2012, the onboard Power On and Reset switches and the LED display of error codes are are big +.
And having the 3700k versus some other soc 1155 cpu and the 16Gb ram back then must have cost a bundle....
Yes not really "Vintage" yet but had to share this unique find. Thanks for the comments.

Reply 3933 of 4607, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-11-04, 01:21:

The motherboard is a good example of what all could be included back around 2012, the onboard Power On and Reset switches and the LED display of error codes are are big +.
And having the 3700k versus some other soc 1155 cpu and the 16Gb ram back then must have cost a bundle....

Boards with LED display sell for a premium.
Too bad that it's not an Asus. Those seem to be the most desired boards from that era.
Guy spend so much money on board/CPU/RAM and then uses stock cooler plus a case without dust filters. Glorious! 😁

What are your plans for it?
Are you gonna turn it into some colorful paper that might be worthless soon?
Or are you going to build a late WinXP machine?

Reply 3934 of 4607, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Found a partial computer sitting next to a dumpster at a job site and seeing it had cpu fan and ram still in board grabbed it. T […]
Show full quote

Lol. You know it's about time to start planning the next upgrade when people find something much like your main rig sitting next to a dumpster 😁 Still on 3770k/Sabertooth Z77/32GB RAM/etc. The GPU was upgraded a few years ago though, it's a GF1080 OC nowadays. Got a 680 stashed away for when it's time to upgrade and use the old hw for an XP rig.

Also, congrats , very nice find 😀

Reply 3935 of 4607, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2022-11-04, 01:21:
lolo799 wrote on 2022-11-03, 17:45:

Nice ! Hope those HD's work

I'm going to look for a SAS controller card and hope they do...

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 3936 of 4607, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-11-04, 01:55:

Or are you going to build a late WinXP machine?

Yeah plan is to upgrade my XP/Win7 computer with this board once I make sure it works perfectly, just not much spare time lately. Also in the case was a LG WH12LS39 bluray burner dated 2012... have not tested it yet.

Reply 3937 of 4607, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found a partial computer sitting next to a dumpster at a job site

Really nice!

darry, we need to remember to stooge around apartment block dumpsters in the last few days of a month or something.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3938 of 4607, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-11-06, 22:52:

darry, we need to remember to stooge around apartment block dumpsters in the last few days of a month or something.

Hahaa yes it was at some apartments. Think they get their garbage dumped once a week. Lucky I found it before some homeless tweaker wandered thru looking for pop and beer cans and ripped it all apart just for the eff of it 😒

Reply 3939 of 4607, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2022-11-07, 00:24:
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-11-06, 22:52:

Hahaa yes it was at some apartments. Think they get their garbage dumped once a week. Lucky I found it before some homeless tweaker wandered thru looking for pop and beer cans and ripped it all apart just for the eff of it 😒

Grabbing stuff from beside a dumpster is fine (I haven't seen anything interesting recently, TBH), though it is always good to clean and disinfect things thoroughly before bringing them inside to avoid acquiring something unexpected and unpleasant (maybe I'm paranoid).

Rummaging through the inside of a dumpster is taking it a step too far for my taste . Every time I'm tempted, I think of 2 words : fermented diapers.