VOGONS

Reply 4120 of 4609, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2023-03-21, 10:43:
Doubt it's worth the risk. I'm currently selling off spare CPU's, all middle of the road mostly S478 or above. You know the CPU' […]
Show full quote
ediflorianUS wrote on 2023-03-21, 09:20:
I want to order (save) Job-lot of around 700 cpu's from scrapper , but have little funds , don't know what to do. I live in Estr […]
Show full quote

I want to order (save) Job-lot of around 700 cpu's from scrapper , but have little funds , don't know what to do.
I live in Estrn' Europe so I could ship around EU if need-bee(*and I can short-test sk4(maybe5)/7,skA,478,lga771/775/754/AM2/LGA1155 and most of older laptop stuff)
but should I invest or no in such a thing. I don't know... Any suggestions? The spring Macintosh failed , 2 mbp mb-s had oxidation probably from w/damages so not sure if it's fixable.

(photo of the supposed lot - not sure of the autenticity of photo).

Doubt it's worth the risk.
I'm currently selling off spare CPU's, all middle of the road mostly S478 or above. You know the CPU's that come with a bit of hardware and first thing you do is upgrade the CPU because it's cheap.
I've a matched Pair Xeon SLAG9 CPU's that haven't sold in months with only a £1 starting price.
I was surprised the I managed to sell a matched pair of Xeon 2400's for £10.
Checking prices for a lower speed S478 shows people selling them for cheaper then could post the item even if free.

you could mod the Xeon LGA771's to fit 775 socket , would be easier to use , I modded a few in the past (with a special sticker).
I am looking myself for a pare of paxville or what you call the dual core version of 604 , + a VRM for Precision 670...

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 4121 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2023-03-21, 10:43:
Doubt it's worth the risk. I'm currently selling off spare CPU's, all middle of the road mostly S478 or above. You know the CPU' […]
Show full quote
ediflorianUS wrote on 2023-03-21, 09:20:
I want to order (save) Job-lot of around 700 cpu's from scrapper , but have little funds , don't know what to do. I live in Estr […]
Show full quote

I want to order (save) Job-lot of around 700 cpu's from scrapper , but have little funds , don't know what to do.
I live in Estrn' Europe so I could ship around EU if need-bee(*and I can short-test sk4(maybe5)/7,skA,478,lga771/775/754/AM2/LGA1155 and most of older laptop stuff)
but should I invest or no in such a thing. I don't know... Any suggestions? The spring Macintosh failed , 2 mbp mb-s had oxidation probably from w/damages so not sure if it's fixable.

(photo of the supposed lot - not sure of the autenticity of photo).

Doubt it's worth the risk.
I'm currently selling off spare CPU's, all middle of the road mostly S478 or above. You know the CPU's that come with a bit of hardware and first thing you do is upgrade the CPU because it's cheap.
I've a matched Pair Xeon SLAG9 CPU's that haven't sold in months with only a £1 starting price.
I was surprised the I managed to sell a matched pair of Xeon 2400's for £10.
Checking prices for a lower speed S478 shows people selling them for cheaper then could post the item even if free.

Eh I see some more interesting stuff in there. Socket 423, 370, etc. Socket A CPUs are also expensive ASF now for some reason

The reason you can't sell 478/775 stuff is because so much of it was produced. Also Xeons wont work on most boards. Mid to upper range consumer CPUs do sell.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 4122 of 4609, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ediflorianUS wrote on 2023-03-21, 17:53:

you could mod the Xeon LGA771's to fit 775 socket , would be easier to use , I modded a few in the past (with a special sticker).
I am looking myself for a pare of paxville or what you call the dual core version of 604 , + a VRM for Precision 670...

You made my point for me. Your looking for the "better" Paxville CPU's to upgrade your currant Nocona CPU's. just like everyone else.
It would be hard to sell the Nocona's as these aren't desirable. I suspect most cpu's in the bundle will fall in this undesirable category.

Looking at an average spec Core 2 Duo E6420 on ebay I can get that delivered for £7. For a similar spec Xeon 5138 it'll cost £11 plus shipping. Never assume you'll get a high end CPU as percentage wise the odds are against you

Ideally you want the lot for cheep accepting most wont make any money but typically a few pieces like what TheAbandonwareGuy mentions will sell enough to justify your cost's and effort. It wont make you rich but you don't want to be worse off either.
but the fact that you say you have little funds makes me worry you'll struggle to break even.

Reply 4123 of 4609, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Definitely , I have a considerable lot of cpu's anyway , Was just a idea , it's 0.5e / cpu , but may be all in vain.
Maybe I will sit , and only if I gain more substantial funds will dive into a cpu lot as large as that. (selling is not my forte' I spend on tech like hobby , monthly or yearly a x amount). (business is slow , even slower in tech. - income is derived from software/web , car repair & soft , car-dealing-selling , used part's sell-off , mostly non tech, and bartering).
Is there a manual to build a VRM for the DELL? I can't even mount 2x Nocona cpu's .... (I have the cpu's I have it tested ) but this way is only single cpu , best only for w98 . tops.

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 4125 of 4609, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recently I seen a descending trend in prices ( so they are crashing) - is free-for-all (meaning that you get whatever you can from who's willing to pay for the junk). - Bizarrely Inflation is up. So if anyone need's something let me know May be able to assist in locating something -you may need. (for a decent price/value ,sometimes under ebay - I don't shop on ebay anyway).

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 4126 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ediflorianUS wrote on 2023-03-23, 15:49:

Recently I seen a descending trend in prices ( so they are crashing) - is free-for-all (meaning that you get whatever you can from who's willing to pay for the junk). - Bizarrely Inflation is up. So if anyone need's something let me know May be able to assist in locating something -you may need. (for a decent price/value ,sometimes under ebay - I don't shop on ebay anyway).

Hardware prices always drop when the weather improves in the Spring, bottom out during the summer, then spike again during the winter.

Just depends on if people are spending money on indoor or outdoor activities.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 4128 of 4609, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2023-03-24, 04:43:
ediflorianUS wrote on 2023-03-23, 15:49:

Hardware prices always drop when the weather improves in the Spring, bottom out during the summer, then spike again during the winter.

Just depends on if people are spending money on indoor or outdoor activities.

This has been true for PC component sales ever since I remember. Summer a dead season with kids on vacation versus super busy holiday shopping season. Probably all retail is like that.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 4129 of 4609, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This thing found me today, for free!

Attachments

Reply 4130 of 4609, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Synoptic wrote on 2023-03-25, 18:42:

Free?! 🤣

So, do you have a new best friend now, or what?

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 4131 of 4609, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-03-25, 19:52:

Free?! 🤣

So, do you have a new best friend now, or what?

It is indeed a good friend of mine that gave it to me as a gesture. I helped him enough it seems 😀

I now have two GUSes. Mine and his. We bought ours at about the same time back then.

Reply 4132 of 4609, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dang, I had that one once. ended up installing it into someone's computer and losing it, only recently threw the box away, kept the manuals & discs.
Cost me about 10.000 Bfr (~250€) at the time (late 90's)

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4133 of 4609, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2023-03-25, 20:14:

only recently threw the box away, kept the manuals & discs.

I hope by recently you mean like 15+ years ago. I can't imagine anyone who is into this stuff trashing a GUS Extreme box at any point in the past 10 years. The box alone would easily fetch upward of $100 US on ebay with nothing in it... maybe half that if it was in bad shape.

Reply 4134 of 4609, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-03-25, 23:05:

I hope by recently you mean like 15+ years ago. I can't imagine anyone who is into this stuff trashing a GUS Extreme box at any point in the past 10 years. The box alone would easily fetch upward of $100 US on ebay with nothing in it... maybe half that if it was in bad shape.

It's a GUS MAX, not extreme.
It was only 6 years ago, and I had it in storage for over 20 years, it was in pristine condition.

I still have my GUS PNP Pro box with all that was inside, aside from the microphone. The card itself is built into one of my machines.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 4135 of 4609, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2023-03-26, 09:42:
It's a GUS MAX, not extreme. It was only 6 years ago, and I had it in storage for over 20 years, it was in pristine condition. […]
Show full quote

It's a GUS MAX, not extreme.
It was only 6 years ago, and I had it in storage for over 20 years, it was in pristine condition.

I still have my GUS PNP Pro box with all that was inside, aside from the microphone. The card itself is built into one of my machines.

Sorry, that was a typo on my part. Meant to type Max, since that's what it says on the box.

Still, I'm surprised anyone would trash a box like that knowing how rare this stuff is, but whatever, it's your stuff. heh

Reply 4136 of 4609, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It was 2 days ago actually, and he was aware of the value.

Reply 4137 of 4609, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Synoptic wrote on 2023-03-27, 15:26:

That post was in response to weedeewee, not you. 😀

Giving something to a friend is not trashing it. Throwing it in the garbage is trashing it.

Reply 4138 of 4609, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-03-27, 15:46:
Synoptic wrote on 2023-03-27, 15:26:

That post was in response to weedeewee, not you. 😀

Giving something to a friend is not trashing it. Throwing it in the garbage is trashing it.

it actually got recycled, so the spirit of the box lives on somewhere 😁

Do not ask Why !

Reply 4139 of 4609, by Luke4838P

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found this 386 motherboard.
Really tiny and compact, 5 ISA slots with 486 ( 168 pin PGA) support.
Unidentified so can someone help me recognize it?
CPU is a soldered AM 386DX-40.
Obvious but not too bad damage from the CMOS battery leak (3.6V 60 mAh, no idea if Ni-Cd or Ni-Mh).
Immediately cleaned it as the battery didn't damage the traces so much.
After brushing the affected area with white vinegar, later demineralized water to clean the mess, I used contact cleaner and a bit more of brushing.
The board despite the damage was better than I expected.
Most of the orange paint that was around the battery is gone, and the acid had ruined the white signs of the pcb layout (example BT1, CT1, the letters came off).
I managed to clean the corrosion completely so now I can test it.
It looked like rust but it doesn't seem rust.
I wanted to ask if it's okay to test a mb like this?
I mean, it's normal that there's so much copper exposed or do I need to paint it?
I am not sure but I think the battery + pole trace might be corroded, so is that 4 pin header connector , the external battery connector?

Attachments