VOGONS

Reply 4280 of 4609, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-05-17, 04:03:
Nexxen wrote on 2023-05-14, 14:14:
Found an Apple TV 1st generation on the ground, in the middle of the road. It was raining but no water was inside. Took it home […]
Show full quote

Found an Apple TV 1st generation on the ground, in the middle of the road.
It was raining but no water was inside. Took it home, opened it and dried the little water that was inside (mere drops).

Someone opened it before me as the rubber bottom was missing.

Works but as I have no remote to use it and no Samba device to access it (no wifi from it either), I don't know if it is still fully functional.
It was reset to factory.

No, I don't have an iphone to replicate the remote. 🙁

Some will pair with bluetooth if you've got a bud with an apple doohickey to come over. There may be android app workarounds too.

I discovered that there are many alternative distros of Linux, even Leopard, that can be installed on it.
Basically it's useless as it can't connect to iTunes due to protocol/encryption/... being obsolete and not supported anymore.
It's just a nice piece of junk for funzies.

I'll clean it up a little more and just park it somewhere. Not the kind of retro I'm interested in.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 4281 of 4609, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
devixluvic wrote on 2023-05-16, 23:38:
dormcat wrote on 2023-05-16, 21:00:

However IMHO this combination (EVGA nForce 680i SLI + Q6600 + 8800 GTS) is far more suitable for an excellent WinXP build instead of an okay, but far from great, Win7 build.

You're definitely right - my current intention was to update the BIOS of that nForce board to its latest revision, and use my spare Q9650 + GTX 280, which would be a few years newer than the Q6600/8800GTS combo. I want to live out my middle-school dreams of SLI 280s! I have a Socket 478 P4/AGP 6600GT machine I've been meaning to put together for Windows XP, albeit earlier Windows XP gaming than the Craigslist PC would be capable of.

However, I've actually just been offered an nForce 790i by someone locally, so maybe this should stay paired as is and that newer board be used for 280 SLI. Lots of fun playing with socket-775 platforms ahead either way!

choices to be made 😀

one minor vote in favor or W7 in 64bit mode - it enable running 64bit applications while not really losing anything in performance given you options (for XP era games) and also might (not sure) have better/later drivers for things too

Reply 4283 of 4609, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently saved a IBM Thinkpad 390x from the scrapper.
Not the most exciting laptop ever, but it is great shape. Even the battery holds a decent charge.
It will compliment the other 6 or so retro laptops that I have, nicely.

Reply 4284 of 4609, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerry wrote on 2023-05-17, 15:10:

one minor vote in favor or W7 in 64bit mode - it enable running 64bit applications while not really losing anything in performance given you options (for XP era games) and also might (not sure) have better/later drivers for things too

Another vote for Windows 7 in 64-bit mode which runs fine on an Intel Core 2 CPU. 64-bit applications can use additional CPU registers for some performance improvements if done properly and the 8800 GTS has Direct3D feature level 10_0 support with extensions.

Dual booting is an option if Windows XP is needed.

Kahenraz wrote on 2023-05-17, 15:41:

Why it's an 8800 GTS when the 8800 GT is so much better?

Perhaps the previous owner bought it before the 8800 GT was released. Also, FWIW, 8800 GTS cards with 512 MB memory uses the same G92 GPU core found on 8800 GT cards.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4285 of 4609, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-05-17, 16:00:

Another vote for Windows 7 in 64-bit mode which runs fine on an Intel Core 2 CPU. 64-bit applications can use additional CPU registers for some performance improvements if done properly and the 8800 GTS has Direct3D feature level 10_0 support with extensions.

Because the popularity of x64 software (OS, drivers, apps) lagged several years behind the hardware in the consumer market: ClawHammer Athlon 64, the first x64 CPU for consumer market, debuted in September 2003; Windows had no dedicated x64 version until WinXP Pro x64 edition in April 2005, which was plagued by its requirement of exclusive 64-bit driver support (unfriendly to most consumers). The popularity of x64 started to grow with Vista in 2007 but not so fast: two computers I bought for my parents in 2010 were still preinstalled with Win7 32-bit despite of their CPUs were fully compatible with x64 architecture. It was not until March 2013 did I have my first x64 experience.

Currently my Palermo Sempron 3100+ is the heart of my Win98SE build; I wouldn't even bother using it under WinXP x32 (which is the job of a Core 2 Duo E7400), let alone under Win7 x64. OTOH devixluvic's Q6600 is a highly versatile CPU and one of the fastest CPU that can run Win9x when paired with an appropriate motherboard.

Reply 4286 of 4609, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dormcat wrote on 2023-05-17, 21:36:
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-05-17, 16:00:

Because the popularity of x64 software (OS, drivers, apps) lagged several years behind the hardware in the consumer market: ClawHammer Athlon 64, the first x64 CPU for consumer market, debuted in September 2003; Windows had no dedicated x64 version until WinXP Pro x64 edition in April 2005, which was plagued by its requirement of exclusive 64-bit driver support (unfriendly to most consumers). The popularity of x64 started to grow with Vista in 2007 but not so fast: two computers I bought for my parents in 2010 were still preinstalled with Win7 32-bit despite of their CPUs were fully compatible with x64 architecture. It was not until March 2013 did I have my first x64 experience.

True, 64-bit adoption on the consumer market took time due to lack of software and drivers at the time. Windows XP Professional x64 (using the Windows 2003 Server kernel) wasn't a common sight either.

My first-hand experience with 64-bit Windows began in late 2009 when I was using a computer that had an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 CPU.

OTOH devixluvic's Q6600 is a highly versatile CPU and one of the fastest CPU that can run Win9x when paired with an appropriate motherboard.

Indeed, early LGA775 motherboards that were capable of running Intel Core 2 CPUs still supported Windows 98.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4287 of 4609, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tomcattech wrote on 2023-05-05, 17:41:
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-05-05, 16:50:
tomcattech wrote on 2023-05-05, 14:46:

Better pics per request.

It's a good thing that this place exists, because good luck trying to explain to most people why this is such an epic score.

🤣, I was just telling my wife that.

She thinks I'm insane.

I dumped my Girl friend for trying to change me,
I would pack&ship my wife to desert if she would want me to trow my life(stuff) away.

Everything is a mess ,no one cares, at least till you run on this earth your stuff is yours.

They seem well kept. My last stuff I hoarded , company got a new real estate lvl on a building and wanted to trow everything away ,so I almost got a heart-attack but I managed to save everything, Now all that stuff I saved , w8ting for me in garage to sort and manage & clean ( this was 4-6mo ago I think).

I only loose stuff others trow away ... (and don't ask or tell).

I need a new shipping container ,but it's expensive. (my last one I manged to loose some dvd-players and keyboards I hoarded there).

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 4288 of 4609, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually found this good few years ago on side of the road. A Compaq Presario S5150UK which I kept around as its Socket A
I've always liked Compaq the business class computers were well built if not standard, the home end Presario side of things not so much although this was a present surprise.

Compaq2.jpg
Filename
Compaq2.jpg
File size
1.26 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I really like the little cover that slides down to reveal the front sound/USB/Fireware port.
When I got it the PSU was missing, Can't remember if it had a hard drive. I've since stolen the IDE optical drive and the GeForce 4 and WinXP stickers.
Ever since I got it the computer gets stuck at the Compaq Post screen even before given the option to enter BIOS.
Bit of a shame as OEM variant of the Nforce 2 based A7N8X motherboard with onboard GF4 MX, could have been a fun? challenge to try and get Win9x on it.
Thought I'd put a pic here just before it is returned to the dumpster

Reply 4289 of 4609, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

true, 32bit oses being installed on 64 bit machines carried on quite a while, however when building a machine now all that later stuff is available if we don't mind a bit of hardware and software not being 'period correct'

Currently my Palermo Sempron 3100+ is the heart of my Win98SE build; I wouldn't even bother using it under WinXP x32 (which is the job of a Core 2 Duo E7400), let alone under Win7 x64. OTOH devixluvic's Q6600 is a highly versatile CPU and one of the fastest CPU that can run Win9x when paired with an appropriate motherboard.

i have not installed 98 on anything faster than 900mhz in the past few years, i cant think of software that needs 98 specifically also needing more than that in cpu terms, i guess some examples might be 'better' on a faster cpu but i found xp does the job for anything else so far, those single core 64 bit semprons are interesting though, 64 bits but not really ideal for vista / w7. i have one, might do something xp with it

Reply 4290 of 4609, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2023-05-19, 11:03:
Actually found this good few years ago on side of the road. A Compaq Presario S5150UK which I kept around as its Socket A I've a […]
Show full quote

Actually found this good few years ago on side of the road. A Compaq Presario S5150UK which I kept around as its Socket A
I've always liked Compaq the business class computers were well built if not standard, the home end Presario side of things not so much although this was a present surprise.

Compaq2.jpg

I really like the little cover that slides down to reveal the front sound/USB/Fireware port.
When I got it the PSU was missing, Can't remember if it had a hard drive. I've since stolen the IDE optical drive and the GeForce 4 and WinXP stickers.
Ever since I got it the computer gets stuck at the Compaq Post screen even before given the option to enter BIOS.
Bit of a shame as OEM variant of the Nforce 2 based A7N8X motherboard with onboard GF4 MX, could have been a fun? challenge to try and get Win9x on it.
Thought I'd put a pic here just before it is returned to the dumpster

probably needs different cpu , bios reflash or a capacitor/vrm changed. Or 3 volt battery? can also be a 3 pin-ed transistor somewhere (not sure how you could identify problem).

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 4291 of 4609, by Living

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerry wrote on 2023-05-19, 11:24:

true, 32bit oses being installed on 64 bit machines carried on quite a while, however when building a machine now all that later stuff is available if we don't mind a bit of hardware and software not being 'period correct'

there was no need for x64 os until 4GB of ram was a must. I remained with Win 7 32 until 2016 when i upgraded to win 10 and 8gb of ram

also i cant remember "only x64" programs that predates 2012 at least

PS: man you made me remember Vista x64 on the early days, it was a PAIN in the ass. All those HP DV6000 that came with Geforce 6150 (soon to be ewaste due to overheating and lack of Lead on solder) and Vista x64, oh God. I Spent the next 3 years downgrading pcs and laptops to Windows XP as my main sort of income as an IT

Reply 4292 of 4609, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Living wrote on 2023-05-22, 13:51:
there was no need for x64 os until 4GB of ram was a must. I remained with Win 7 32 until 2016 when i upgraded to win 10 and 8gb […]
Show full quote
gerry wrote on 2023-05-19, 11:24:

there was no need for x64 os until 4GB of ram was a must. I remained with Win 7 32 until 2016 when i upgraded to win 10 and 8gb of ram

also i cant remember "only x64" programs that predates 2012 at least

PS: man you made me remember Vista x64 on the early days, it was a PAIN in the ass. All those HP DV6000 that came with Geforce 6150 (soon to be ewaste due to overheating and lack of Lead on solder) and Vista x64, oh God. I Spent the next 3 years downgrading pcs and laptops to Windows XP as my main sort of income as an IT

I did the same thing back in the Vista days to lots of friends and families systems. IMO going to XP Pro or XP Pro 64bit depending on the exact system and ram capacity was a big upgrade not a downgrade.

Reply 4293 of 4609, by tomcattech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I've finally been able to go through 90 percent of the systems and boxes of the insane freebie score.

Spent some actual money on upgrading some of the systems to Tualatins.

Other than the current gaming systems on my desk here is the current stash.

The ones with the masking tape on them are going on the bay so if anyone needs a good retro system send me a message.

Attachments

• system stash.jpg
    Filename
    system stash.jpg
    File size
    115.3 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4294 of 4609, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tomcattech wrote on 2023-05-24, 19:21:
So I've finally been able to go through 90 percent of the systems and boxes of the insane freebie score. […]
Show full quote

So I've finally been able to go through 90 percent of the systems and boxes of the insane freebie score.

The ones with the masking tape on them are going on the bay so if anyone needs a good retro system send me a message.

I really like the old prolient design with the see though door covering the drive's like the one in the bottom right.
What's it's spec? does it run? (not looking to buy just interested)

Reply 4295 of 4609, by tomcattech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2023-05-26, 08:09:
So I've finally been able to go through 90 percent of the systems and boxes of the insane freebie score. […]
Show full quote

I really like the old prolient design with the see though door covering the drive's like the one in the bottom right.
What's it's spec? does it run? (not looking to buy just interested)

You've got a good eye Chinny...

I agree, it is a cool bit of kit.

It's an old P3 Proliant 800 server with a SCSI drive controller, SCSI drives, cd rom, etc...

It used to be a server at a local school district at some point but it stopped booting fully and was replaced a long time back.

Saw it on Craigslist for 20 bucks and picked it up.

After working on it a bit it looks like everything works fine except that it has a dead CMOS battery.
All the self tests on the system utility show good and all the drives are seen from the controller.
(It is just not saving the setup options for the drive configuration.)

The battery is a special order battery pack from China at this point that may even need to be soldered on if memory serves.

I'll get it up and running fully and pretty it up a bit at some point. Slap Win 2000 on it as well.

Attachments

• proliant2.jpg
    Filename
    proliant2.jpg
    File size
    106.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • proliant1.jpg
    Filename
    proliant1.jpg
    File size
    78.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4296 of 4609, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Show full quote

What type of case is that second pc from Left , top shelf?

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 4297 of 4609, by tomcattech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ediflorianUS wrote on 2023-06-03, 17:21:
Show full quote

I'm "pretty sure" it is a Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L:
https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mi … asterbox-q300l/

It is my old "daily driver" with a 9th Gen i5 in it and is still pretty quick to be honest.

I've been trying to give it away to family for a year so it is going on the Bay. 🤣

Reply 4298 of 4609, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tomcattech wrote on 2023-06-05, 19:39:
I'm "pretty sure" it is a Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mi … asterbox-q300l/ […]
Show full quote
ediflorianUS wrote on 2023-06-03, 17:21:
Show full quote

I'm "pretty sure" it is a Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L:
https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mi … asterbox-q300l/

It is my old "daily driver" with a 9th Gen i5 in it and is still pretty quick to be honest.

I've been trying to give it away to family for a year so it is going on the Bay. 🤣

It's a verry nice case , maybe I'm going to search for one to get to build a retropc inside. (someting K6-early K7 or P2-P3 -not sure yet so many to chose from).

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 4299 of 4609, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Recently found a HP Procurve 1420-16G switch
On powerup all leds lit up and stayed lit, no network activity was possible.

After some investigating and replacing R5 (R3 in the RT9214 datasheet schematic), which is part of a 1V circuit according to the RT9214 datasheet, the switch is now operational again. 16 1G ports.
R5 was a 1k24 0603 SMD part, and I replaced it with 4 4k7 0603 resistors stacked on top of each other which were salvaged from a broken motherboard.

One more device repaired and saved from the shredder.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port