VOGONS

Reply 4320 of 4609, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2023-06-13, 10:11:

Got the opportunity to “rescue” a Lenovo ThinkPad W510 from a trip to eWaste today. Seems a relatively OP laptop for early to mid XP gaming, so going to get it set up with XP asap.

Might have to take out some RAM though as this thing has 24GB at present, and the Quadro FX 880M should perform somewhere around GeForce 8800 speeds I think.

IMG_2059.jpeg

Are people trowing away I7's? it's apsolutly bonkers....speachless....

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 4321 of 4609, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ediflorianUS wrote on 2023-06-17, 08:22:

Got the opportunity to “rescue” a Lenovo ThinkPad W510 from a trip to eWaste today. Seems a relatively OP laptop for early to mid XP gaming, so going to get it set up with XP asap.

Might have to take out some RAM though as this thing has 24GB at present, and the Quadro FX 880M should perform somewhere around GeForce 8800 speeds I think.

IMG_2059.jpeg

Last year I found a ITX cooler master 6th gen Pentium with a 650watt atx gold EVGA PSU, 8gb ddr4, a 120gb SSD, and about 5 windows 7-10 licenses he had handy and unused, with a 2gb 960 he was going to take to the dump and had listed locally for free for a month

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4322 of 4609, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ediflorianUS wrote on 2023-06-17, 08:22:

IMG_2059.jpeg

Would appear so. There were a number of i5 and i7 laptops but this one was easily the most interesting and the least cosmetically molested.

Reply 4323 of 4609, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So sad , personally I have to pay for everything. no matter how old new or smart/broken... for me everything has a cost. so I am verry happy if I intersect free items.

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 4324 of 4609, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unknown_K wrote on 2023-06-13, 22:07:

its funny how slow the 4C/8T CPU is compared to the next couple generations of I5's.

Yah first gen wasn't really "night and day" above the last gen of Core2 Quad, and of course comparing one of those in mobile with ~2ghz or less core speed against top end of C2D mobile with 2.4-2.8 core speeds might make them feel on the slow side with a lot of single thread stuff around still.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4325 of 4609, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Only metaphorically a dumpster, but:

The first was a slightly unusual computer to see dumped, it's amusing to think it may only have been because of the non-standard power cord.

XPS720.jpg
Filename
XPS720.jpg
File size
201.89 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Somewhat rare, a little iconic, and damned heavy. Untested because it uses a C-19 power cord and I don't have one. People do seem to lust after them, but looking at auction sites people don't *buy* them very often, so it will probably become a reference Win7 machine. Someone took out the dual 8800GT and put a cheap 730GT in there, but I have an in-box 4890 which is roughly age appropriate (year or two later). Now that I think about it, I have a 3870 which is from the same year. All the drive sleds are missing but I have a few, and an adapter can be printed (especially for an SSD). The XPS 720 is also a BTX, which means it will likely either stay configured as it is or turn into a long-term project, either as a modern gaming rig or my crazy idea of building two PPro motherboards into it if I can get hold of both operating systems used in the ASCI Red supercomputer to make its "mini-me," which is a cool but neither authentic nor practical idea. The case does sort of have that 60s early computing era design language to it, with the curved indentation, jet engine intake grill and bright red plastic.

I was surprised to get anything, I haven't really been looking but all this kind of landed in my lap (literally might have killed me, the XPS 720 weighs a ton). There were a pair of 386 mobos, both 33s:

386-33-386WB-mobo.jpg
Filename
386-33-386WB-mobo.jpg
File size
654.55 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
386-33-64k-mobo.jpg
Filename
386-33-64k-mobo.jpg
File size
700.31 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

None of this is tested yet, I'm currently tearing apart and sorting my collection (when it's not too hot and I'm not too tired), and there's a printer on my workbench. Oh, and I got an MSI X87 motherboard, also not tested.

There was a modem and some IO and IDE cards with the 386 motherboards. No video cards, sadly, but a Sound Blaster Pro 2:

CT1600.jpg
Filename
CT1600.jpg
File size
204.71 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

On the topic of "least likely to work" was a 122Mb Conner, which is a nice find if it turns out to work, and a Teac floppy, which is more likely to work, but I've also had some arrive DOA:

TeacHD525.jpg
Filename
TeacHD525.jpg
File size
154.8 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Given that I didn't expect anything, that's quite a haul. I don't know when I'll get around to testing it all, given that I have a huge mess to clean up (had to move a couch and stacks of boxes to deal with a cable/internet problem that's probably not even done yet), it probably won't be soon.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 4326 of 4609, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it's the 3.5" standard half 3.5" height black connor CP series with the nicely sculpted disk cover, those do tend to last for as long as the arm doesn't glue itself to the stop. The bigger, chiseled from a block of aluminum types seemed to get surface problems earlier in life

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4327 of 4609, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice XPS , I just wanted to add that "Do not trow awaY" , System's (PC's) that boot(P.O.S.T.) & run int-o DOS. (this is my criteria for a working vs nonworking system).

If you can Start DOS , your old but gold and you can start LCARS 😁 so you can boldly gooo where no one want's to go , to Retroworld DOS. GUI.

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 4328 of 4609, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-07-03, 04:00:

If it's the 3.5" standard half 3.5" height black connor CP series with the nicely sculpted disk cover, those do tend to last for as long as the arm doesn't glue itself to the stop. The bigger, chiseled from a block of aluminum types seemed to get surface problems earlier in life

I have a dead 3.5" aluminum (non-blocky) Conner sitting here I had foolish ideas of trying to fix one day, as it was my smallest drive. The new one is, in fact, black, but it was thrown in a trash pile, no idea what it's been through except it doesn't have obvious damage to the case.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 4329 of 4609, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Merovign wrote on 2023-07-04, 01:37:
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-07-03, 04:00:

I have a dead 3.5" aluminum (non-blocky) Conner sitting here I had foolish ideas of trying to fix one day, as it was my smallest drive. The new one is, in fact, black, but it was thrown in a trash pile, no idea what it's been through except it doesn't have obvious damage to the case.

Are you sure it's dead? check PCB first , clean PCB second , Clean hdd connector to PCB 3rd , then re-test on external enclosure or ide system. (my connor works) some drives just work others die it's so bizare just get aditional info and post it.

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 4330 of 4609, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Small 12" (?) TV (has SCART connector) - not tested yet

SPEA V7 Vega P90 - works fine

Also some VLB controller and several dozen of 5.25" floppies

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 4331 of 4609, by justin1985

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

At the weekend I was literally at the local council recycling centre, dumping a bag of small electronics bits in the "Small Electricals" dumpster, which happened to be full to the top already.

I was excited to see one or two PCs and parts within reach! I left a Dell P4 optiplex that had already been stripped of drives and RAM, but also saw some decent looking AM3 gaming motherboards right at the top, and grabbed the two that had escaped damage. Both had low end Sempron 145s installed, it turned out. So rather than gaming, I wonder if someone had used the many, many SATA channels on them for a CCTV controller or server or something?

Even more interesting, to me, was an HP Pavilion slimline PC, with AMD Phenom and Windows Vista stickers. It seemed complete, but was below the motherboards, so maybe had been there a little longer, and it had rained heavily early that morning and the day before. Still, I took it home.

I let it dry out for the day, then started stripping it down to assess the damage.

Resize_20230726_080314_4989.jpg
Filename
Resize_20230726_080314_4989.jpg
File size
895.51 KiB
Views
File comment
HP Pavilion slimline stripped down
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Water inside was actually very limited - just where the case vents were, around the PCIe graphics card and the very top of the motherboard, around the (proprietary mini) ATX power header. Inside the PSU seemed mercifully totally dry. I let it dry out a bit more opened up, and gave it a blast with a hairdryer too.

After another few hours, there was no perceptible moisture at all. So tested it. Fan and lights, but no beeps, no video. Figured it was dead, and started stripping / testing the components. HDD, GPU, Blu-ray drive, and RAM all worked in other systems. I don't have any other AM2 systems to test the CPU though.

Tried putting the minimum back in - just CPU and memory - but even less life 😔 Just a momentary spin of the fan and back off. So, I figured it was dead.

Another 24 hrs later, I thought I'd give it one final test, before packing it up to go back to the tip. And who'd have thought it - this time POST with video! (Still no beep - buzzer might be dead?)

So, it lives! And it's a cute little slightly bigger than ITX system, which I'm tempted to keep! The two slots, PCIe x16 and PCI, seem like a bit of a sweet spot - is there a name for this form factor?

I guess there was still some water somewhere (inside the ATX connector or even inside the CPU socket) that was causing a short and sending it straight into safety shut down?

Is there anything else I should do avoid corrosion?

Reply 4332 of 4609, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sand down and paint, if it's regarding the metal case.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 4333 of 4609, by justin1985

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PcBytes wrote on 2023-07-26, 10:18:

Sand down and paint, if it's regarding the metal case.

Actually the metal case is fine! Dirty, but no sign of rust.

I was just concerned whether the water having been caught under components like the CPU socket etc for like 48hrs would start any kind of corrosion there?

Brushing down around components with IPA feels like it might be a good idea? Or not?

Reply 4334 of 4609, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-06-30, 01:51:

My Craigslist Score for the week; Antec 900 case with an i5 4590, Gigabyte motherboard, 16 gigs of DDR3, Corsair power supply. Oddly, this case has the PSU on the bottom, but there's no air vent on the bottom of the case.

I spotted this monitor on Craigslist on the free section and the address seemed familiar - it was the same place where I picked up this free computer last year. Monoprice 27" IPS Zero-G, and it seems to be in perfect condition.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 4335 of 4609, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice find for free, only downside AFAIK is the stand is a bit wimpy on some models.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4336 of 4609, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2023-07-28, 02:47:

Nice find for free, only downside AFAIK is the stand is a bit wimpy on some models.

My free from Craigslist backup system now consists of the monitor, the mATX board with an I5 4590, and an eight gigabyte GTX 1060.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 4338 of 4609, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
scroeffie wrote on 2023-08-01, 07:27:

i found this bit have no idea what it is or does junk ?

i'm guessing its an iteration of this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soundbeam

not sure you can find a use for it but if working its not junk at least 😀

Reply 4339 of 4609, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anything worth saveing from this lot/pick : (?) Except for the pc and netis...
Are fax phones worth anything?do anyone collect them? Any inside parts worth pulling?

Attachments

My 80486-S i66 Project