VOGONS

Reply 520 of 4609, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

My god, and I was already carrying groceries, including a complete watermelon 🤣! Had to take a break like every 50 meters maybe 😵

Haha, that would have been a great photo to look at 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 521 of 4609, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote:

Went there this monday and picked up a Commodore 128 with keyboard and monitor.

Sweet! These used to sell for 100€ 5-6 years ago without monitor. Haven't seen one of them since.

Reply 522 of 4609, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Guys.

I also found this from the Computer Store under .."Free" section...

ISA%20Modem.jpg

ISA%20Modem2.jpg

I took some photos... as this card interest me a little, because it had a Com1 to Com4 selector outside the modem... and remind me the good old 14.4k modem.. 😀 fyi... (im not sure what speed on this one though...)

Reply 524 of 4609, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Went to recycle some electronics stuff at work (doing it myself instead of delegating it since I got bitten by the retro bug 😁) and scored this gem:

DSC_0604.JPG
Filename
DSC_0604.JPG
File size
98.24 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

A Black Box SW622A-R2 4-port KVM switch. Its exterior was quite dirty, but otherwise it is as good as new. Found it with only two KVM cables (that needs a clean up too), but since they use no proprietary or hard to source connectors, it'll be piece of cake to solder together equivalents 😀

DSC_0606.JPG
Filename
DSC_0606.JPG
File size
103.22 KiB
Views
File license

Here's the best part, the connection possibilities. In addition to PS/2 stuff, it'll accept serial mice and AT keyboards. No adapters needed. Haven't found out whether I can use both those and PS/2 peripherals in parallel yet, guess time will tell. Absolutely awesome for retro purposes in any case.

Only tested it with a VGA monitor and PS/2 peripherals so far, that works like a charm at least 😀

Reply 525 of 4609, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice, I have a kvm switch but causes a lot of interference with the audio for some reason, it's so bad I was considering using a mechanical type of switch.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 526 of 4609, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kaputnik wrote:
Went to recycle some electronics stuff at work (doing it myself instead of delegating it since I got bitten by the retro bug :D) […]
Show full quote

Went to recycle some electronics stuff at work (doing it myself instead of delegating it since I got bitten by the retro bug 😁) and scored this gem:

DSC_0604.JPG

A Black Box SW622A-R2 4-port KVM switch. Its exterior was quite dirty, but otherwise it is as good as new. Found it with only two KVM cables (that needs a clean up too), but since they use no proprietary or hard to source connectors, it'll be piece of cake to solder together equivalents 😀

Only tested it with a VGA monitor and PS/2 peripherals so far, that works like a charm at least 😀

I have the 16 port version. It supports almost anything you give it. PC, mac, Sun, SGI, IBM....it takes it all like a dirty girl and the pinout for the DB25 is available online.

I found this:

IMG_6351.jpg

IMHO:
raw

This is a board I'll never use. I'll build a wall enclosure for it and some mocking statement from Intel where they said that soon RAMBUS would be standard and the P4 would be stock at 5ghz.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 528 of 4609, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would build a system with it, love these dead ends in computer history!

CelGen wrote:

I found this:

IMHO:

This is a board I'll never use. I'll build a wall enclosure for it and some mocking statement from Intel where they said that soon RAMBUS would be standard and the P4 would be stock at 5ghz.

1982 to 2001

Reply 529 of 4609, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Custom built PC with ECS KT600 motherboard with nice case and a CD-RW and floppy drive
Geforce2 MX400 64mb

customer was throwing them out and I offered to recycle them for free

WP_20161105_13_47_39_Pro[1].jpg
Filename
WP_20161105_13_47_39_Pro[1].jpg
File size
1.7 MiB
Views
File license
WP_20161105_13_47_28_Pro[1].jpg
Filename
WP_20161105_13_47_28_Pro[1].jpg
File size
2.08 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 532 of 4609, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

i850 chipset / S423?

Asus P4T. Correct.

P4's aren't historical, nor are they retrocomputing. They're junk.

Reply 533 of 4609, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CelGen wrote:
Asus P4T. Correct. […]
Show full quote
gdjacobs wrote:

i850 chipset / S423?

Asus P4T. Correct.

P4's are historical, as a warning

Reply 534 of 4609, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
20161105_215302.jpg
Filename
20161105_215302.jpg
File size
1.49 MiB
Views
File license

Saved another system from death!

This is a Compaq Presario 5130. It has:

Intel Pentium II 350
64 MB RAM
6 GB Quantum Bigfoot TX
2X DVD-ROM
3,5" HD floppy
On-board ATI Rage LT Pro 4 MB video
On-board ESS AudioDrive ES1869
56k ISA modem

...and it looks like the previous owner upgraded it with a:

Hercules 3D Prophet 4000XT PCI (ST Kyro chip)

Haven't tried booting it yet but it looks good! Never used the Kyro chips, are they any good?

Reply 535 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
einr wrote:

Never used the Kyro chips, are they any good?

Keep it 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 536 of 4609, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
candle_86 wrote:
CelGen wrote:
Asus P4T. Correct. […]
Show full quote
gdjacobs wrote:

i850 chipset / S423?

Asus P4T. Correct.

P4's are historical, as a warning

Which is why this specimen is being hung on the wall in an acrylic case.

Reply 537 of 4609, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CelGen wrote:

Which is why this specimen is being hung on the wall in an acrylic case.

I actually went to great lengths to acquire a working 423 mb+cpu. They are decent enough and rambus is interesting. It seems to work better on socket 370 then it does on 423/478 tough...

Reply 538 of 4609, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vmunix wrote:

Nice, I have a kvm switch but causes a lot of interference with the audio for some reason, it's so bad I was considering using a mechanical type of switch.

Have you tried using a shorter cable to connect the audio receiver? Had the same problem with my Aten CS62S, lots of interference, but it all went away with a shorter cable. Not sure if it was the shortening itself or simply the the fact that the new cable was routed another way amongst the other cables under my desk that did the trick, but well, might be worth a try at least.

CelGen wrote:

I have the 16 port version. It supports almost anything you give it. PC, mac, Sun, SGI, IBM....it takes it all like a dirty girl and the pinout for the DB25 is available online.

Ah, thanks, googled and found the pinout too. Saves me some work with the multimeter 😀

I'm really starting to like this thing. Studied the manual some to learn what it can do, and was quite impressed with the honesty, they mention limitations and even outright weaknesses. Not the usual our-product-is-the-best-thing-since-sliced-bread-pitch.

Love your way of expressing its compatibility 😁

Reply 539 of 4609, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kaputnik wrote:
vmunix wrote:

Have you tried using a shorter cable to connect the audio receiver? Had the same problem with my Aten CS62S, lots of interference, but it all went away with a shorter cable. Not sure if it was the shortening itself or simply the the fact that the new cable was routed another way amongst the other cables under my desk that did the trick, but well, might be worth a try at least.

The problem is this, the KVM switch is also for the audio cables, which is cool actually, imagine the PC sharing also the amplifier and the pair of speakers, but I think the shielding of the audio cable is not good enough and the interference from the vga or mouse or whatever signal is being picked up buy my amp, it can also be heard using headphones, it first is not big deal but after 10 or 15 minutes with the hiss you endup plugging the headphones directly into the soundcard, which in my case will always be a random Turtle B. known for being very very low noise.

Trailing edge computing.