VOGONS

Reply 960 of 4609, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
krivulak wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

If these marks are deep scratches you can fill them with petroleum jelly.

Already tried that, it came right off and the scratchmarks are still the same.

You don't take the jelly off, you keep in there, clean around the jelly and over time it will get harder and stick, clean only with a soft lent free cloth after words. I done it a lot of times, works real well.
just don't get aggressive with the cleaning.

Reply 961 of 4609, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Still a dandy case. ATX?

Edit: Upon closer inspection, it appears to be AT. No dice for that P2B-DS.

Last edited by gdjacobs on 2017-05-22, 23:17. Edited 1 time in total.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 963 of 4609, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Is that a P2B-DS? Nice!

SaxxonPike wrote:

Yesterday's haul:

20170521_155323.jpg

Looks like we have a winner for the big empty case? 😀

Reply 964 of 4609, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Is that a P2B-DS? Nice!

SaxxonPike wrote:

Yesterday's haul:

20170521_155323.jpg

The full tower beige case is AT. You can see the large keyboard port hole in the picture. In fact, my DOS build is housed in a seemingly similar one.

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 965 of 4609, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not exactly found, but I've saved these three computers from being dumped. My friend's father-in-law had it in his garage for a pretty long time. From the look of AT cases I thought that they will be from 286 to 486 but unfortunatelly not. He was running hardware (not PC hardware 😉) shop until 2000 when he closed it and moved the first two PCs away. Good to find out they still work and remember time (somewhat) correctly, they boot and have Win98 still running (with programs, data, annoying animated cursors and so on).

1. The top left AT minitower has a FAM 486 sticker on it (FAM is local PC builder, still in bussiness i think, we had lots of 286 and 386 machines from them at school), but apparently it was upgraded during it's life.
Motherboard is an i430VX socket 7 board - PcPartner (Vtech) MB520NH with DIMM/SIMM slots and some SIMM RAM. CPU is Cyrix 6x86 P150+. VGA card is Expertcolor S3 "Trio Virge" (exatly this one http://cdn2.goughlui.com/wp-content/uploads/2 … 11/IMG_0241.jpg) which is a bit confusing, from the bios sticker, I think it is original S3 Virge (86C325) not S3 Trio and has expanded video memory to full 4MB EDO. As you can see on the foto it has strangely bent backplate, clearly not the original one. Then there an unknown ISA sound card (but it still have packed drivers on it's harddrive, so I have to save it for clear install).

2. The desktop AT case looks older than the first PC, but in fact is better. It has FIC PA503+ board with MVP3 chipset (simmilar to my own PC with MVP3 board I built as new back in 1999 with K6-2) populated with Intel P233MMX CPU and 64 EDO SIMM ram (DIMM slots empty). Although there is an AGP slot, it had never been used. Graphics is S3 again, in this case it is Virge/DX with 2MB (not upgraded). It has is an unusable analog TV card, ISA sound card with analog devices chip, and realtek LAN card.

3. The midtower is a pretty cheap ATX case with CeleronD 2.8 GHz CPU and crappy 350W PSU (wondering that it had not failed already). It has ECS 865PE-A7 motherboard (so it's LGA775 with DDR and AGP8x), to my suprise all capacitors look OK. RAM slots were populated with only one 256MB DDR400 module. VGA is some basic TNT2M64 passive AGP card, audio and LAN is integrated, but there is philips DVB-T card. Apparently this also wasn't a gaming PC. While it is the newest of all three PCs it wouldn't boot. Seems that RAM is faulty and motherboard is memory picky. Tried one of my memory modules (256MB DDR333), also wasn't working in this first memory slot, but was working in the second one. Finally I've managed to populate it with two 256MB sticks (one DDR333, second DDR266 overclocked to 333 😀), they run in dual-channel in memtest fine without any errors. So the motherboard is OK. This PC has two harddrives - system drive is 80GB Maxtor, but it is dead (detected ok, but won't read anything), second is 40GB IBM/hitachi, seems OK, but very noisy. Never mind, I have lots of other IDE drives to use.

Originally I was thinking to keep only one of the PCs to built retro PC. But I think, I'll keep all of them (my wife doesn't know yet 😊 ). The first one would be for DOS games, I will put CPU and RAM from the second PC. The second one could be usable for Win98/WinME. I'm eager to buy and overlock K6-III+ which was my dream CPU when I had K6-2 and these plus CPU were impossible to buy here. And the third one? I thought, I will keep some parts and dump the rest, but I've never had 865PE computer (I had SocketA and Socket754 back then), so maybe I will use it as XP setup with some interesting AGP card.

01.JPG
Filename
01.JPG
File size
315.99 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
02.JPG
Filename
02.JPG
File size
456.86 KiB
Views
File comment
Cyrix P150
File license
03.JPG
Filename
03.JPG
File size
395.09 KiB
Views
File comment
P233MMX
File license
04.JPG
Filename
04.JPG
File size
579.29 KiB
Views
File comment
Celeron 775
File license

Reply 966 of 4609, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mv_cz wrote:

3. The midtower is a pretty cheap ATX case with CeleronD 2.8 GHz CPU and crappy 350W PSU (wondering that it had not failed already). It has ECS 865PE-A7 motherboard (so it's LGA775 with DDR and AGP8x), to my suprise all capacitors look OK. RAM slots were populated with only one 256MB DDR400 module. VGA is some basic TNT2M64 passive AGP card, audio and LAN is integrated, but there is philips DVB-T card. Apparently this also wasn't a gaming PC. While it is the newest of all three PCs it wouldn't boot. Seems that RAM is faulty and motherboard is memory picky. Tried one of my memory modules (256MB DDR333), also wasn't working in this first memory slot, but was working in the second one. Finally I've managed to populate it with two 256MB sticks (one DDR333, second DDR266 overclocked to 333 😀), they run in dual-channel in memtest fine without any errors. So the motherboard is OK. This PC has two harddrives - system drive is 80GB Maxtor, but it is dead (detected ok, but won't read anything), second is 40GB IBM/hitachi, seems OK, but very noisy. Never mind, I have lots of other IDE drives to use.

Originally I was thinking to keep only one of the PCs to built retro PC. But I think, I'll keep all of them (my wife doesn't know yet 😊 ). The first one would be for DOS games, I will put CPU and RAM from the second PC. The second one could be usable for Win98/WinME. I'm eager to buy and overlock K6-III+ which was my dream CPU when I had K6-2 and these plus CPU were impossible to buy here. And the third one? I thought, I will keep some parts and dump the rest, but I've never had 865PE computer (I had SocketA and Socket754 back then), so maybe I will use it as XP setup with some interesting AGP card.

That looks like a fun (and good looking) motherboard.

It could be very useful for making a fast Win 9x + Win XP dual boot system, or just a very fast Win 9x system.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 967 of 4609, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mv_cz wrote:
Originally I was thinking to keep only one of the PCs to built retro PC. But I think, I'll keep all of them (my wife doesn't kno […]
Show full quote

01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG
04.JPG

The FIC based machine might also be fun for trying out a P300 MMX chip!

Reply 968 of 4609, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:

It could be very useful for making a fast Win 9x + Win XP dual boot system, or just a very fast Win 9x system.

Yes, I only have to search for some good AGP card for cheap or for free 😀 I only have GF2MX in my drawer, which will go to the mvp3 board. Although I like to have Voodoo3 for SS7 or GF6800U (had this card back in 2005 in a nf3 board) for the 775 board the prices are ridiculous.

gdjacobs wrote:

Do you mean to get a tillamook chip? I've read it here but it would have problems running with it's L2 cache. Or do you mean overclocking the P233? I didn't think that it would go so high, but maybe I'll give it a chance. Anyway, I thought of putting the MVP3 board to a nicer AT case, but this desktop case is actually more suitable. It has lots of room above the CPU 😎

Too bad I've sold my good old lian-li case (I've been using for 13 years and survived upgrades from XP3200+ to i7 configurations) for next to nothing last year. Would be perfect home for a 775 AGP setup.

Maybe it's time to start my own building log thread? 😊

Reply 969 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mv_cz wrote:
Yes, I only have to search for some good AGP card for cheap or for free :happy: I only have GF2MX in my drawer, which will go […]
Show full quote
Skyscraper wrote:

Yes, I only have to search for some good AGP card for cheap or for free 😀 I only have GF2MX in my drawer, which will go to the mvp3 board. Although I like to have Voodoo3 for SS7 or GF6800U (had this card back in 2005 in a nf3 board) for the 775 board the prices are ridiculous.

gdjacobs wrote:

Do you mean to get a tillamook chip? I've read it here but it would have problems running with it's L2 cache. Or do you mean overclocking the P233? I didn't think that it would go so high, but maybe I'll give it a chance. Anyway, I thought of putting the MVP3 board to a nicer AT case, but this desktop case is actually more suitable. It has lots of room above the CPU 😎

Too bad I've sold my good old lian-li case (I've been using for 13 years and survived upgrades from XP3200+ to i7 configurations) for next to nothing last year. Would be perfect home for a 775 AGP setup.

There's a 6800U on eBay right now. It's at $30 with 3 days left last I checked.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 970 of 4609, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had a closer look at the picture, it's not an Asus P2B-DS but it seems to be the board from a HP Netserver E60: https://www.google.nl/search?q=netserver+e60&tbm=isch

Cyrix200+ wrote:

Is that a P2B-DS? Nice!

SaxxonPike wrote:

Yesterday's haul:

20170521_155323.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 971 of 4609, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found two old office PCs, an HP Vectra VLi8 and an Dell Optiplex GX620, the Vectra is working despite it's bad condition, but the dell is dead. the HP oddly runs Windows 3.11 in top of MS-DOS 6.22 when the Dell doesn't have the stock PSU and it's motherboartd is toast
Specs:
HP:
Pentium III 500 MHz Katmai
32 MB RAM
HP stock motherboard (Intel 440ZX)
onboard Matrox G200
Quantum Fireball lct 4.3 GB
MS-DOS 6.22 + Windows 3.11 (odd for it's specs)
Dell:
Pentium D 820
2 GB DDR2 533
Intel GMA 950
stock Dell motherboard (dead)

Attachments

• 20170523_185259.jpg
    Filename
    20170523_185259.jpg
    File size
    1.43 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170523_191739.jpg
    Filename
    20170523_191739.jpg
    File size
    1.74 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170523_192037.jpg
    Filename
    20170523_192037.jpg
    File size
    1.68 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170523_191029.jpg
    Filename
    20170523_191029.jpg
    File size
    1.33 MiB
    Views
    File license

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 972 of 4609, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

There's a 6800U on eBay right now. It's at $30 with 3 days left last I checked.

Thanks, but it is total $60 with shipping to Europe and then I'll pay additonal taxes/VAT (because it is more than $20 which is tax-free). So it is pretty expensive, I'm trying to find something nearby for low price.
Starting to think, that I'll build something 2004 time specific and would like to try to find FX5900 or something more powerful from FX series.
Because around that time I had AthlonXP and Athlon64 with "unlocked" ATi R9500@9700 card (then it was RMAed for GF6800 128MB and then I upgraded to my last AGP card which was 6800U). So I've never had P4 + GeForceFX combo.
I know that A64 + Radeon was better - cheaper, cooler, more energy efficient; but nowadays I can afford to build something I rejected back then 😁

Carlos S. M. wrote:
HP: Pentium III 500 MHz Katmai 32 MB RAM HP stock motherboard (Intel 440ZX) onboard Matrox G200 Quantum Fireball lct 4.3 GB MS-D […]
Show full quote

HP:
32 MB RAM
onboard Matrox G200

Wow this HP is seriously under-equipped. Maybe it was previous owner intention in order to run some special older software or hardware controller. No weird PCI/ISA cards? Maybe they had something like 386 or 486 before, then it failed, so they bought and configured something "new" to run their old software.

Reply 973 of 4609, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mv_cz wrote:
Carlos S. M. wrote:
HP: Pentium III 500 MHz Katmai 32 MB RAM HP stock motherboard (Intel 440ZX) onboard Matrox G200 Quantum Fireball lct 4.3 GB MS-D […]
Show full quote

HP:
32 MB RAM
onboard Matrox G200

Wow this HP is seriously under-equipped. Maybe it was previous owner intention in order to run some special older software or hardware controller. No weird PCI/ISA cards? Maybe they had something like 386 or 486 before, then it failed, so they bought and configured something "new" to run their old software.

Yeah, two slots are uncovered which are possible signs of there were 2 cards on that HP (2 ISA cards or 1 ISA and 1 PCI), but they got removed before scrapping the computer. I have some plans with this HP and it'll get some massive upgrades due to what you said (under-equiped)

Reply 974 of 4609, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mv_cz wrote:
Do you mean to get a tillamook chip? I've read it here but it would have problems running with it's L2 cache. Or do you mean ove […]
Show full quote
gdjacobs wrote:

Me trying to be funny. I was thinking of 3x100mhz on a P55c.

Reply 975 of 4609, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Allright, will definitely try it, but it has "box" heatsing /w fan attached. I'm not sure how it would handle overclock, and if not, how to securely remove it. In the past, all my socket7 cpus were always with aftermarket heatsink...

Reply 976 of 4609, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up parts from a couple of machines found near a dumpster today. One was a modernish machine built into a cheap chinese ATX tower - the other was an AT system - witch is what actually got my attention. Normally I would have just put both in my trunk and driven off, but I was on my motorcycle and as you would imagine there is no easy way of carrying one tower, let alone two.

I pulled over next to them and whipped out my bike's toolkit to see what was inside. The ATX machine had a Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2, an AGP FX5200 and 2 gigs of DDR2. No HDD, no PSU, and the ODD was pretty rusty. I gutted it, put the parts in my backpack, then opened up the AT case - to my surprise, a complete VLB 486 machine! 100MHz intel DX4, some UMC chipset motherboard, a VLB I/O controller, a Yamaha OPL3 SAX clone and a Cirrus Logic VLB video card. I put it back together, and used the two rubber straps I had on my bike to turn the case into a metal backpack. I put the backpack with the 775 stuff on the fuel tank, and rode off.

After a bit of testing, it turns out the 486 board is dead (or at least has jumpers missing or something). The case was a bit rusted, but I cleaned it off with sandpaper and it looks fine. Everything else works, including the Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2. Turns out the CPU installed on it was a Core 2 Duo E6550. Getting home with all that stuff hanging off me was a pain in the ass, but worth it 😀

Reply 977 of 4609, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice find, so you could easily pick up things on a dumpster/recycling plant? This is impossible in our place, you can bring in, but not carry away 🙁

Reply 978 of 4609, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found an old Pentium II system, is an Idec branded tower with a hit on the back (not really noticiable on the pics)

Specs are:
Intel Pentium II 350
Wintech W6BXA-0 motherboard
64 MB PC100 RAM
S3 Trio3D
PCI Winmodem
Yamaha YMF718-S ISA soudncard (Audician 32 plus?)
Samsung 3.2 GB HDD
Boots into Windows 98 SE

Attachments

• 20170524_160905.jpg
    Filename
    20170524_160905.jpg
    File size
    1.35 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170524_174314.jpg
    Filename
    20170524_174314.jpg
    File size
    1.59 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 979 of 4609, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Is that a P2B-DS? Nice!

SaxxonPike wrote:

Yesterday's haul:

The attachment 20170521_155323.jpg is no longer available

I definitely won an empty case. It had a Bigfoot drive in it and this motherboard, that's about it. This is an era of hardware I am not familiar with.

20170521_155517.jpg
Filename
20170521_155517.jpg
File size
3.79 MiB
Views
File license

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA