VOGONS

Reply 980 of 4609, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some PowerSpec 6430 with a Sempron in it. Tossed in an HD and it works fine running Windows Me http://imgur.com/a/PSzDo

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 981 of 4609, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A few days ago, a neighbor gave us this Planar PL1700 LCD Monitor for free, It works fine although there's one minor issue - it makes a hissing noise when turned off, not sure if that's normal behavior for its kind or if there are dying capacitors on the circuit boards inside, haven't opened it up yet.

IMG_1316.JPG
Filename
IMG_1316.JPG
File size
68.18 KiB
Views
File comment
Planar PL1700 turned on
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_1317.JPG
Filename
IMG_1317.JPG
File size
74.71 KiB
Views
File comment
Planar PL1700 turned off
File license

Reply 982 of 4609, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SaxxonPike wrote:

I definitely won an empty case. It had a Bigfoot drive in it and this motherboard, that's about it. This is an era of hardware I am not familiar with.

Looks like some Matsonic/PCChips AT/ATX board for slot1. Good to see it working, I had experiences that these were unreliable as new.

Reply 983 of 4609, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting motherboard, AT Slot 1 without AGP slot? Intel Chipset (LX?) and both DIMM and SIMM memory banks.

SaxxonPike wrote:

I definitely won an empty case. It had a Bigfoot drive in it and this motherboard, that's about it. This is an era of hardware I am not familiar with.

20170521_155517.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 984 of 4609, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Interesting motherboard, AT Slot 1 without AGP slot? Intel Chipset (LX?) and both DIMM and SIMM memory banks.

SaxxonPike wrote:

20170521_155517.jpg

The board is a PC Chips M715/Amptron PII 2100 and it does have AGP, but is hidden behind the IDE/floppy cables, it uses a 440LX or 440EX chipset and only supports FSB 66 Pentium II and Celerons

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 985 of 4609, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks! No AGP didn't make sense to me without onboard video. I had a look and thought that there could not be an AGP slot hiding there but I was wrong 😀

Carlos S. M. wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

SaxxonPike wrote:

20170521_155517.jpg

The board is a PC Chips M715/Amptron PII 2100 and it does have AGP, but is hidden behind the IDE/floppy cables, it uses a 440LX or 440EX chipset and only supports FSB 66 Pentium II and Celerons

1982 to 2001

Reply 986 of 4609, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've experiences only with "BXcel", "BX100" or "BXpro" branded PCChips motherboards simmilar like this one - but those were Ali or VIA based. If this is i440LX or EX, then might not be so bad 😀 In fact I've never seen running a slot1 CPU with EDO SIMMs, the CPU performance would be quite bottlenecked right?

Reply 987 of 4609, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mv_cz wrote:

I've experiences only with "BXcel", "BX100" or "BXpro" branded PCChips motherboards simmilar like this one - but those were Ali or VIA based. If this is i440LX or EX, then might not be so bad 😀 In fact I've never seen running a slot1 CPU with EDO SIMMs, the CPU performance would be quite bottlenecked right?

The first chipset for the Pentium II was the Intel 440FX, reused from the Pentium Pro plataform and it only supported EDO SIMM/DIMM and no AGP, 440LX came shortly after it, so Pentium II with SIMM is not that rare

Reply 988 of 4609, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not really PC hardware, and not really found in a dumpster, but it is retro hardware and I did save it from going in a dumpster.

A friend of my wife and I had received an old Sony AV amplifier from family and didn't know what to do with it - I offered to take it, as it looked like one from the early-ish 80's and in good condition.

It's a Sony STR-AV470, awful cellphone picture below.

IMG_20170526_090241724.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170526_090241724.jpg
File size
1.23 MiB
Views
File license

I was looking up the model this morning to see what it was - I really hadn't looked at it that closely at this point.

Started seeing mentions of AM Stereo in the Google results.

"Wait, this has AM Stereo?"

I looked back at it.

"Holy **** it's got AM Stereo!"

First AV equipment I've ever had that has it.

Reply 989 of 4609, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The specs suggest that should be an excellent receiver with AM stereo as a nice bonus. I suspect it might require some maintenance, though.

41wdW-7mdpL._SY300_.jpg

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 990 of 4609, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To be honest, I'm having a hard time finding the spec sheets for it.

Definitely have my contact cleaner ready to go though. Still looking for a decent pair of floor speakers - I've got some nice bookshelf speakers (A pair of Paradigm Micro V2s I dumpster found a bit over a year ago that sound wonderful for the size, and a pair of off-brand Missil speakers that sound surprisingly nice for the 30 bucks I paid new) but no floor ones at the moment.

Reply 991 of 4609, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Carlos S. M. wrote:
mv_cz wrote:

The first chipset for the Pentium II was the Intel 440FX, reused from the Pentium Pro plataform and it only supported EDO SIMM/DIMM and no AGP, 440LX came shortly after it, so Pentium II with SIMM is not that rare

Yes I've read about it, but PII was so expensive that it had barely spreaded here. Which is actually a good thing in the end, at least we had not underperforming PII systems 😁

Reply 992 of 4609, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
LHN91 wrote:

To be honest, I'm having a hard time finding the spec sheets for it.

Definitely have my contact cleaner ready to go though. Still looking for a decent pair of floor speakers - I've got some nice bookshelf speakers (A pair of Paradigm Micro V2s I dumpster found a bit over a year ago that sound wonderful for the size, and a pair of off-brand Missil speakers that sound surprisingly nice for the 30 bucks I paid new) but no floor ones at the moment.

HIFI Engine has the user guide and service manual for the AVR460 which appears to be extremely similar. Unless Sony has further information, I think that's probably your best bet.

Reply 993 of 4609, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

A few days ago, a neighbor gave us this Planar PL1700 LCD Monitor for free, It works fine although there's one minor issue - it makes a hissing noise when turned off, not sure if that's normal behavior for its kind or if there are dying capacitors on the circuit boards inside, haven't opened it up yet.

Hissing sounds like coil noise from the standby power, I suppose it might be made worse by dodgy capacitors

Reply 994 of 4609, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mv_cz wrote:

In fact I've never seen running a slot1 CPU with EDO SIMMs, the CPU performance would be quite bottlenecked right?

Very much bottlenecked. I have a Deskpro 4000 with the 440FX/EDO chipset and a P2-300. The CPU performance isn't anywhere near where it should be. When I upgraded from a 233 to a 300, there was barely any increase in CPU performance, indicating a platform bottleneck.

The CPU performs much better on a BX board. The BX board achieves over twice the memory bandwidth at the same 66MHz FSB.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 995 of 4609, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Standard Def Steve wrote:
mv_cz wrote:

In fact I've never seen running a slot1 CPU with EDO SIMMs, the CPU performance would be quite bottlenecked right?

Very much bottlenecked. I have a Deskpro 4000 with the 440FX/EDO chipset and a P2-300. The CPU performance isn't anywhere near where it should be. When I upgraded from a 233 to a 300, there was barely any increase in CPU performance, indicating a platform bottleneck.

The CPU performs much better on a BX board. The BX board achieves over twice the memory bandwidth at the same 66MHz FSB.

I wonder now how would perform on an LX board + SDRAM, i have an LX board, but no a P2 300

Reply 996 of 4609, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
The specs suggest that should be an excellent receiver with AM stereo as a nice bonus. I suspect it might require some maintenan […]
Show full quote

The specs suggest that should be an excellent receiver with AM stereo as a nice bonus. I suspect it might require some maintenance, though.

41wdW-7mdpL._SY300_.jpg

I don't see anything on that receiver that would require DeOxit...

AM Stereo is awesome though...there's not a lot of stations that use it, but there's more than I thought there would be:

http://meduci.com/stations.html

Reply 997 of 4609, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm having a hard time finding AM Stereo stations here in Southern Ontario - but it's also a bit temperamental with FM Stereo at the moment too. Probably need to do some adjustments at some point.

Reply 998 of 4609, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
probnot wrote:
I don't see anything on that receiver that would require DeOxit... […]
Show full quote
gdjacobs wrote:
The specs suggest that should be an excellent receiver with AM stereo as a nice bonus. I suspect it might require some maintenan […]
Show full quote

41wdW-7mdpL._SY300_.jpg

AM Stereo is awesome though...there's not a lot of stations that use it, but there's more than I thought there would be:

All of the mode switches will be susceptible to oxidation, not to mention the volume pots.

Reply 999 of 4609, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
probnot wrote:
I don't see anything on that receiver that would require DeOxit... […]
Show full quote
gdjacobs wrote:
Show full quote

41wdW-7mdpL._SY300_.jpg

All of the mode switches will be susceptible to oxidation, not to mention the volume pots.

It's a fully logic controlled unit. Unless there are malfunctioning switches then the only cleaning necessary would be on the RCA inputs. Really what you have to worry about on units from that era are the VFL displays. Either they are worn out or have bad solder joints.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2