User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
K1n9_Duk3 wrote:
I beg to differ: […]
Show full quote
cyclone3d wrote:

The 3000 only came in AGP as far as I know.

I beg to differ:

DSC00445.JPG

Edit: This Voodoo 3 3000 PCI does indeed have a bigger heatsink than the one shown in Baoran's post. (About twice the size.)

Oooh, nice. Don't think I have ever seen one before.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1101 of 4609, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
K1n9_Duk3 wrote:
I beg to differ: […]
Show full quote
cyclone3d wrote:

The 3000 only came in AGP as far as I know.

I beg to differ:

DSC00445.JPG

Edit: This Voodoo 3 3000 PCI does indeed have a bigger heatsink than the one shown in Baoran's post. (About twice the size.)

Oooh, nice. Don't think I have ever seen one before.

By the way, it's officially been right here in wikipedia for years. Voodoo3 1000's come in AGP & PCI, so do the 2000's, and 3000's also. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo3#Models

Reply 1103 of 4609, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since 2000 and 3000 have the same model number, is 3000 just overclocked 2000 with better cooling?
I'm thinking about getting a 40mm fan and strapping the 40mm fan on the heatsink with zip ties even if not overclocking. The 50mm fans that I have seem to be bit too big for it.

Reply 1104 of 4609, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bought a small batch of retro hardware from a local seller (new-old VIA Socket 370 mainboard, 440LX Slot 1 mianboard, slotket, PIII 700, SB16 CT2980, 12MB STB Voodoo 2, all for $30). He offered a bunch more stuff for grabs that I didn't really need so I turned down.

Well, he mailed them to me to get rid of them anyway (apparently he would dump them, so it's essentially a dumpster find). Regardless, I ended up with the following for free:

IMG_1131.JPG
Filename
IMG_1131.JPG
File size
308.61 KiB
Views
File comment
ATI Rage Pro PCI
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_1137.JPG
Filename
IMG_1137.JPG
File size
291.58 KiB
Views
File comment
S3 Savage3D AGP
File license
IMG_1133.JPG
Filename
IMG_1133.JPG
File size
292.58 KiB
Views
File comment
A second SB16 (Vibra16) CT2980
File license
IMG_1134.JPG
Filename
IMG_1134.JPG
File size
261.06 KiB
Views
File comment
An Avance Logic ISA sound card (with apparently a clone OPL3 chip LS262)
File license
IMG_1145.JPG
Filename
IMG_1145.JPG
File size
148.67 KiB
Views
File comment
Pentium II 333 - just what I needed for the 440LX board!
File license

Pretty happy about it. I'll probably sell off one of the CT2980s, I don't need two (I already have 2 other SB16s too..)

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1105 of 4609, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, i'm going to continue stretching the topic of this thread... I just picked this lot up:

squaresoft-lot.JPG

Final Fantasy bonanza. 😀
They are all complete and in nice condition! Except the PC discs, which are a bit scratchy.
Pretty happy about FFIX, I've been looking on and off for a copy. Although I'm not a fan of platinum editions, I'm not complaining.

So my "trash room" is pretty magic; I keep and also give away lots of stuff I find, but pretty often I pass stuff up because I don't have the room etc.
Hence, here's an idea: if there are any vogoners in Stockholm, Sweden that are interested in occational free stuff, hit me up with a PM and I'll let you know whenever I come by neat stuff that I have no use for. Pick-up only, though.

Reply 1106 of 4609, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stoof wrote:

Ok, i'm going to continue stretching the topic of this thread...

There's a thread for "Just bought these old games" if I remember correctly, dunno where it is tho. I guess you didn't buy this tho...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 1107 of 4609, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stiletto wrote:
stoof wrote:

Ok, i'm going to continue stretching the topic of this thread...

There's a thread for "Just bought these old games" if I remember correctly, dunno where it is tho. I guess you didn't buy this tho...

You are right on both accounts. I just read the topic with emphasis on "AKA the Dumpster find thread."
Just slap me around a bit with a large trout, and I'll keep it strictly hardware. 😉

Reply 1108 of 4609, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found this old Super Socket 7 rig

Specs:
AMD K6-2 500/AFX
256 MB RAM
BCM VP1543 motherboard (working, but needs recap)
nVidia TNT2 M64
Realtek RTL8139 Ethernet card
Creative Soundblaster PCI128 CT4810
PCI Winmodem
HDD missing
250 watt PSU (dead)

Attachments

• 20170627_181648.jpg
    Filename
    20170627_181648.jpg
    File size
    1.49 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170627_181720.jpg
    Filename
    20170627_181720.jpg
    File size
    1.28 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170627_181729.jpg
    Filename
    20170627_181729.jpg
    File size
    1.04 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170627_194303.jpg
    Filename
    20170627_194303.jpg
    File size
    1.37 MiB
    Views
    File license

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 1109 of 4609, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Carlos S. M. wrote:
Found this old Super Socket 7 rig […]
Show full quote

Found this old Super Socket 7 rig

Specs:
AMD K6-2 500/AFX
256 MB RAM
BCM VP1543 motherboard (working, but needs recap)
nVidia TNT2 M64
Realtek RTL8139 Ethernet card
Creative Soundblaster PCI128 CT4810
PCI Winmodem
HDD missing
250 watt PSU (dead)

Cool looking case. If it were me i'd paint it. Dark grey on the bottom and purple on top. Make it look like an SGI system.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 1110 of 4609, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not really a dumpster find, per se, but I'm pulling some decommissioned servers out of a data centre... some older Xeons, and even a few Athlon X2 machines. No big deal. But, I open up one of the Athlon X2 machines, and what do I find? An ATI Rage II 4MB PCI video card from 1998. Like, wtf? I don't have a machine that would benefit from me putting it in or replacing something I already have, but wow. Made my day.

How does the ATI Rage II stand up anyway? Comparable to Voodoo 1 or 2...?

Reply 1112 of 4609, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Edit: apparently Photobucket is being a butt. You can view all the photos that go with this post --> here <-- for now.

It’s waste disposal time on my campus and that means there’s quality goods to be had. Now granted, this is a university office so most of what gets tossed is pretty boring. Corporate-grade Dell workstations, dead LCD monitors, etc. However sometimes you get lucky. Last year I scored a fully-kitted out Tandy TRS-80 model 100 with a ton of accessories. The year before that, two loaded G5 towers.

This time around -

First up: a pair of laptops! These were right at the top of the pile & I also left them for several days to see if anyone else was going to grab them. No one did, so mine.

02-laps.jpg
Filename
02-laps.jpg
File size
160.41 KiB
Views
File license

The Thinkpad is kind of neat, it’s a Celeron 433 with 64MB of RAM, an ATI Rage Mobility and ESS sound chip (not sure if it’s one of the DOS-compatible ones yet.) Big, bright TFT screen. Unfortunately it got a bit butchered by whoever took the hard drive out, they went at it HARD trying to find it rather than taking 10 seconds to look up which two screws to undo to get it out. They even pulled the front panel LCD/play/volume controls off (why?) and cut the ribbon cable (WHY??) It is complete though, except for the HDD caddy, and is otherwise really clean, so I’m thinking I’ll try to restore this one.
03-think.jpg

The Dell on the right is a score; it’s a Pentium-M @ 1.5 GHz with 768MB of RAM and a full complement of serial & parallel ports (and a dock connector; I have at least two docks that will work with this already.) More importantly it has a fantastic crisp 1400x1050 display and a 64MB (dedicated!) Radeon 9000 chip to drive it. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, even still had the HDD (wiped.) Came with three batteries, at least one of which works well enough to get through an ENTIRE Bodhi Linux install from DVD, although it got kind of hot while charging.
04-inspire.jpg
I’m just gonna keep this one at my office and use it for work when I need to get away from the desk. 1400x1050 is a great resolution on such a compact laptop, it’s a huge amount of screen real-estate and feels liberating to work in when you’re used to 1280x800.

05-play.jpg
I also grabbed this early HDD-based MP3 player (no charger unfortunately) and a USB TV tuner stick (good for old consoles using RF.) The MP3 player is SOLID, all metal construction & really high-quality materials. It feels like a high-end minidisc walkman rather than some cheap plasticky thing. Interested to get that one working.

Digging deeper into the boxes, underneath all the PS/2 keyboards & dead wired routers is when the real fun stuff started to emerge. Components!
06-boards.jpg

First up is this dirty-but-complete 440BX board which has 4 IDE ports for some reason (8 devices!) Looked fine aside from the dust bunnies, no bulging caps or anything. Get.
07-dirtybx.jpg
08-piii.jpg
Came with a PIII/700 under that grime-cake heat sink.

09-cards.jpg
A few PCI Sound Blasters that I don’t really need, another video capture card, a PCIe Radeon HD3850 (might be fun to compare to my AGP one) and a GeForce 4 Ti4600 with a magnificent hack-job of an aftermarket cooler install.

10-bodgejob.jpg
Seriously, when you have to use a piece of cardboard and twist-ties to keep something high-tech going and you know it’s hacky but damn it, you’re gonna do it anyway because you KNOW you can FIX it that way, I applaud you.

Also found one of those USB->DVI display extender things and a dirty but OK-looking 600MHz Cyrix III.
11-cyrix.jpg
You know the Cyrix is gonna end up in that BX board, because P3s are boring.

And then there’s this absolutely disgustingly filthy Kinesis Classic key…board…thing. I had to look this up. I don’t know if it’s sought-after or rare enough to warrant restoring, but I might give it a go anyway. It does seem to work (and yes, I did type on it with my bare hands, haha.) These actually have Cherry MX switches in them so I’m sure some keyboard snob out there thinks it’s the cat’s meow. Or the dog’s bollocks. Or whatever.
12-evendirtierkinesis.jpg
It’s sadly not a DataHands DH200 but it’s the closest I’m likely to find in a random local junk pile, so there’s that. 😜

All in all, a great haul! I’m sure more stuff is going to get put out before they recycle the lot, but I’ve got enough to play with for now. The Dell Inspiron will be immediately useful & stuff like the BX board and video cards are always nice to have around for spares. It took a bit of digging to get everything interesting out and not leave a mess, but it was worth the effort.

17-quakeinyerbox.jpg
...there was also half a Quake III cookie tin. For some reason. I wish the other half had been there.

Edit: apparently Photobucket is being a butt. You can view all the photos that go with this post --> here <-- for now.

Oh yeah, I forgot. There was also this.

13-gustar.jpg
Filename
13-gustar.jpg
File size
324.75 KiB
Views
File license

WELL THEN. At least one of you noticed something sneaky I put in the pic of the Core 2 Quad I bought on the same day. Here it is. Yes, it’s a real goddamn Gravis Ultrasound MAX. It was buried in a random box of junk being thrown away. In an office. In an office where the oldest PCs still lying around are Pentium 4s & Core 2 Duos. I don’t even. I DON’T even.

14-gust.jpg
Filename
14-gust.jpg
File size
263.71 KiB
Views
File license

I pretty much made this noise when I found it.

15-gustation.jpg
Filename
15-gustation.jpg
File size
308.76 KiB
Views
File license

It’s even been expanded to 1MB. Haven’t tested it yet but it looks fine. I’m really hoping it works. This is actually my first GF1-based card ever, I’ve had a bunch of PnPs though. This will go in my 386 alongside the ATI Stereo FX/CD in there for ultimate red-PCB ‘90s sound goodness. I really need to do a thread on that thing.

16-gustafsson.jpg
Filename
16-gustafsson.jpg
File size
808.32 KiB
Views
File license

Speaking of red PCBs… I always found Gravis’s reds to be exceptionally pretty. There’s something about the design & deep cherry color of these that is just stunning to me. Same goes for the GUS PnP. I left this pic huge so you can click through and bask in it. 😜

Last edited by xjas on 2017-06-30, 07:29. Edited 2 times in total.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1113 of 4609, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xjas wrote:

a real goddamn Gravis Ultrasound MAX.

Well holy hell, that's a fine dumpster find! And here I am thinking I find good stuff. 😀

That Thinkpad is interesting/weird. I don't think I've ever seen that model. ("i seres"? Made by Acer apparently.)
Oh, and the heatsink for the s370 looks like a good one, copper base with aluminium fins.

Reply 1115 of 4609, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Ether someone died or really pissed off there girlfriend/wife. That or it's all dead or not working right. I mean that some real money there.

Reply 1116 of 4609, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Saved all this from being scrapped yesterday. 😁

So far neither mac is in working order, the Classic is going to need more work (blows fuses, seems like bad analogue board) than the Classic II so I've pulled the battery and shelved it for another day. The Classic II displays lines and turns on which gives me hope that it's just a problem of bad caps on the logic board. Probably going to have both the boards recapped just for kicks but I'll bet the Classic II will live again. 😁

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbedh76.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbeihof.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1117 of 4609, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:
Saved all this from being scrapped yesterday. :D […]
Show full quote

Saved all this from being scrapped yesterday. 😁

So far neither mac is in working order, the Classic is going to need more work (blows fuses, seems like bad analogue board) than the Classic II so I've pulled the battery and shelved it for another day. The Classic II displays lines and turns on which gives me hope that it's just a problem of bad caps on the logic board. Probably going to have both the boards recapped just for kicks but I'll bet the Classic II will live again. 😁

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbedh76.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbeihof.jpg

Just do a mystic upgrade and have a sweet classic.

Reply 1118 of 4609, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sadly I think you can only do that with a Colour Classic. I'm probably wrong though I've still a lot to learn about macs. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1119 of 4609, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

Sadly I think you can only do that with a Colour Classic. I'm probably wrong though I've still a lot to learn about macs. 🤣

Yup, my mistake. For some reason I mixed up the two. The color classic and mystic upgrade are on my mind right now since i'm restoring an LC 575.