VOGONS

Reply 1340 of 4609, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
King_Corduroy wrote:

What happened this time? To my understanding one long standing member said something dumb to another and that was it. Not really the end of the world. 🤣

Its happening far more often and tends to have similar users involved.

Reply 1343 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:
I recall that guy, he had a zombie avatar with a tnt box right? He wasn't that bad, just derailed threads way to often. Ok maybe […]
Show full quote

I recall that guy, he had a zombie avatar with a tnt box right?
He wasn't that bad, just derailed threads way to often. Ok maybe it was a little annoying, I mean this is not a christen forum or a place to preach. But I do recall him mass spamming the site before he was banned or left.

Anyway, I think its time the Mods clamp down on the this drama nonsice. I don't mind a small argument every now and then, it can be fun to watch and all but this it becoming way to regular and is disrupting the site.
Seems that this thread and the eBay thread has been derailed quite a few times lately and I'm sure there is more.

Oh, I remember that guy. He was weird, didn't notice he went missing. I don't mind him having been banned though, I'm not sure what he wanted here anyway.

Actually, I don't find it fun to watch, or when it happens. It's annoying and distracting and will mostly attract more dramaseekers. These trolls tend to like to bunch up together and get out the...oh nvm 😊

Jade Falcon wrote:
King_Corduroy wrote:

Naw, I for one find that a site or group with moderators that go berserk with an iron fist make a much less interesting environment to be a part of. .

Very true, but Id have to say this is a time the mods need to be doing something, if it gets any worse we may start losing good members.

Haven't we already lost a couple good ones? Partially because they were fed up with some of the other members here.

oeuvre wrote:

Let's not go back and talk about stupid arguments.

^Yup

Alas, I found nuttin lately...oh well 😢

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1344 of 4609, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:
I recall that guy, he had a zombie avatar with a tnt box right? He wasn't that bad, just derailed threads way to often. Ok maybe […]
Show full quote

I recall that guy, he had a zombie avatar with a tnt box right?
He wasn't that bad, just derailed threads way to often. Ok maybe it was a little annoying, I mean this is not a christen forum or a place to preach. But I do recall him mass spamming the site before he was banned or left.

Anyway, I think its time the Mods clamp down on the this drama nonsice. I don't mind a small argument every now and then, it can be fun to watch and all but this it becoming way to regular and is disrupting the site.
Seems that this thread and the eBay thread has been derailed quite a few times lately and I'm sure there is more.

You mean that guy wich went religeous apeshit on my "Merry fucking Christmass" wich were mere meant as a sort of humours aproach to wishing people a nice holliday? That dude did not understand that people can think differently. And have different approaches and look on religions. Yeah.... He was a real snowflake, taking every single little thing to heart and making stuff way way way worse than it was. Though I guess he would not have minded if I wrote "Happy fucking Eid" (or Hanukka for that matter). I guess he would then have seen the fun part of it all. It is not my fault that aprox 80% of Americans see the world through the eyes of religion, versus some 39/40% in my country. All I am saying is that people are different and yeah... Don't get upset about every little thing. After all... It is not like I come from Estonia were aprox 70% are irreligeous.

The world is truly diverse: (and I love that fact)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreligion

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 1345 of 4609, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mr. Wang (LOL) was one of the few people to make my ignore list. No patience for people who take everything as a personal affront to themselves.

Can we get back to what this thread is supposed to be about? I have another epic dumpster pull that I wanna share. It's not quite GUS PnP or dual-Kinesis epic but it's good.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1346 of 4609, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got some equipment back from a friend. It's stuff I saved from a recycling center years ago.

Dell precision 670 (bad caps)
ASRock P4VM800
ATI X700 Pro AGP
MSI GTS 250 Twin Frozr

Also picked up a random PII/PIII? based celeron gateway computer off the side of the road.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 1347 of 4609, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got offered this Dell PC for basically only the shipping so I suppse it's a dumpster find, but I can't be sure if I should be interested. It's a nice horizontal case but if it's just another Slot 1 PC I really don't need more of those.. I'm hoping it's a Socket 7 or something, but running Windows XP? I don't know..

The keyboard looks like an AT though? Maybe mechanical?

b53614a4612bd45578b8e67da07df8de.jpeg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1348 of 4609, by Rawrl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like it could be an AT101, in which case yeah, it's a mech with some kind of Alps switch.
Problem is, they also made rubber dome keyboards in that casing. You'll just have to wait until you get it.

Reply 1350 of 4609, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sf78 wrote:

Interesting case, looks a lot like the Xbox 360.

Probably similar era hardware and has a Pentium III Coppermine or a Celeron Coppermine inside.. That's why I'm not very keen on getting it, I have dozens of them and the 15" CRT is a terrible one. The shipping wouldn't be worth what I get in it unless it has something like a very desirable sound/video card or a very fast Katmai CPU.. All three are unlikely.

Reply 1351 of 4609, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
sf78 wrote:

Probably similar era hardware and has a Pentium III Coppermine or a Celeron Coppermine inside.. That's why I'm not very keen on getting it, I have dozens of them and the 15" CRT is a terrible one. The shipping wouldn't be worth what I get in it unless it has something like a very desirable sound/video card or a very fast Katmai CPU.. All three are unlikely.

That chassis design goes back to the pentium 1 era, so it could be what you're looking for.

EDIT: more like very late P1, mostly PII era. I've got a dual PPro in a similar case.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 1352 of 4609, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xplus93 wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
sf78 wrote:

That chassis design goes back to the pentium 1 era, so it could be what you're looking for.

EDIT: more like very late P1, mostly PII era. I've got a dual PPro in a similar case.

I'll offer to take the case and keyboard only and see how that goes..

Refused to part it (why? really, why?) so I.. accepted the whole thing. One can always use a shitty 15" CRT for.. Something.. I guess.

Really curious about what the insides of the thing are. And if that hideously yellowed AT keyboard is mechanical I may just go ahead and retrobright it, a first for me..

Reply 1353 of 4609, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

One can always use a shitty 15" CRT for.. Something.. I guess.

Really curious about what the insides of the thing are. And if that hideously yellowed AT keyboard is mechanical I may just go ahead and retrobright it, a first for me..

If your main gaming monitor is an LCD, you can do a comparison to see if the CRT does a better job for retro gaming but it depends on your tastes, or you can always give the CRT to someone who doesn't have one.

I'd hate to see a good old Dell like that get junked. the supplies on those things are drying up faster than expected these days.

BTW, If you're looking to re-use the case, I probably wouldn't bother because I believe these beige Optiplexes used a proprietary motherboard form factor, only the Dimensions used standard ATX AFAIK.

Reply 1354 of 4609, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not really a dumpster find, but I found this in a box at the local recycler, so I can probably get it really cheap. This worth getting?

Tyan Thunder K7 S2462. Looks like AMD 760MPX chipset, 2 unknown Athlon MP's with heatsink/fan, and 2 sticks of memory.

ftp://ftp.tyan.com/datasheets/d_s2468_150.pdf

Reply 1355 of 4609, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While browsing through the local hardware shop ran across this video card and boards. Anything special? I don't need it, but... 🤣

IMG_0475.JPG
Filename
IMG_0475.JPG
File size
1.77 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_0476.JPG
Filename
IMG_0476.JPG
File size
1.72 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_0477.JPG
Filename
IMG_0477.JPG
File size
1 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_0478.JPG
Filename
IMG_0478.JPG
File size
1.93 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_0479.JPG
Filename
IMG_0479.JPG
File size
1.61 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 1356 of 4609, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dexvx wrote:

Not really a dumpster find, but I found this in a box at the local recycler, so I can probably get it really cheap. This worth getting?

Tyan Thunder K7 S2462. Looks like AMD 760MPX chipset, 2 unknown Athlon MP's with heatsink/fan, and 2 sticks of memory.

ftp://ftp.tyan.com/datasheets/d_s2468_150.pdf

YES. 10,000 times yes. (coming from a guy that can't get enough dual-cpu systems)

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1357 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:
While browsing through the local hardware shop ran across this video card and boards. Anything special? I don't need it, but... […]
Show full quote

While browsing through the local hardware shop ran across this video card and boards. Anything special? I don't need it, but... 🤣

IMG_0475.JPG
IMG_0476.JPG
IMG_0477.JPG
IMG_0478.JPG
IMG_0479.JPG

That S3 is the fastest of the Virge series. Might be a good grab for S3D based games.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1358 of 4609, by martin939

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That ECS looks to be at least a half decent Socket A motherboard - AGP 8x, USB2.0, ATA133
It has a nice 'high end' RAM stick on it from Super Talent.
Shame of the placement of the ATX 20 pin connector, though.

The hard drive controller has a PCI-X interface, not much you can do with it.

Reply 1359 of 4609, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
liqmat wrote:
While browsing through the local hardware shop ran across this video card and boards. Anything special? I don't need it, but... […]
Show full quote

IMG_0475.JPG
IMG_0476.JPG
IMG_0477.JPG
IMG_0478.JPG
IMG_0479.JPG

That S3 is the fastest of the Virge series. Might be a good grab for S3D based games.

Thanks. Since you posted this I ran across this thread. Good info. I was familiar with ATI enhanced games and the like back in the late 90s when everyone was battling to be the top 3D chip maker, but somehow missed S3 specific enhanced titles.

S3 ViRGE/Trio3D and S3D Enhanced Games?

Last edited by liqmat on 2017-08-19, 15:29. Edited 1 time in total.