Reply 3020 of 4586, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote on 2021-02-16, 07:39:
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-01-30, 20:05:
Wolfus wrote on 2021-01-30, 19:10:

You can mount railed shelves inside and put many desktops on them. I would definitely take it.

Are shelves like that standard, and cheap? Where would I find them?

Yes, and yes (depending on where you look). Shops that sell rack hardware, but also music shops, because 19" is also the standard size for rackable music equipment (Roland SC-55 etc. are not called "halfrack" without reason...).

So besides putting computers inside them, you can also load them with music hardware.

Good to know. Thankfully my MIDI gear is all PC\desktop format (not rack mount), so I don't need such a huge thing to store it.

That rack is long gone now anyway. I did inherit some other really handy stuff though, like a bunch of high end (mostly HON brand) steel shelving units, cabinets, stools and a couple of medical carts which are amazingly useful in my office!

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 3021 of 4586, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not exactly a dumpster find, but I was given a Dell i660 tower with a Core i5 processor...

...because Windows 10 killed itself by wiping the C:/-drive during an upgrade. Perhaps it is becoming self-aware? Back in the day you needed a stupid user or a virus to cause such an event... 😁

I still need to retrieve the user's (my dad's) files off the hard disk. The optical drive is shot, which I'm not too surprised about because my dad liked to close the drive door by pushing it back in...

Reply 3022 of 4586, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote on 2021-03-07, 21:46:

The optical drive is shot, which I'm not too surprised about because my dad liked to close the drive door by pushing it back in...

And people wonder why apple switched to slot loaders for the G3 iMacs...

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 3023 of 4586, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've used the same drive for over a decade and that's the only way I ever closed it :p the mechanism is still working just fine.

they were made to be used like that after all, just don't jam it in with force, a slight push is enough and it'll close automatically.

Reply 3024 of 4586, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2021-03-08, 04:32:

I've used the same drive for over a decade and that's the only way I ever closed it :p the mechanism is still working just fine.

But you're here, so you obviously care about hardware at least a little.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 3025 of 4586, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2021-03-08, 04:32:

they were made to be used like that after all, just don't jam it in with force, a slight push is enough and it'll close automatically.

Listening to the noises this drive makes it seems like one of those drives where the same motor is used to close the door and run the spindle (cost-saving measure). The drive closing mechanism jerks right at the point the 'push' would have ended and then the drive makes a screeching noise as it tries to spin up (optical drives should not make screeching noises...ever). So something is very broken.

In my experience many older drives are way more robust in this aspect than fairly recent ones.

Seeing the whole machine was dusty as hell, it could theoretically also be a foreign object in the drive, but considering the prices of SATA optical drives (and that I have a bootable external USB DVD-ROM drive) I'm not sure it's worth the time trying to diagnose that...

Reply 3026 of 4586, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

...because Windows 10 killed itself by wiping the C:/-drive during an upgrade. Perhaps it is becoming self-aware? Back in the day you needed a stupid user or a virus to cause such an event... 😁

You've got to be kidding me... Didn't something similar happen with 1809? This is why I got sick of it. The same bugs over and over... Didn't even Vista have QA than this? Like seriously, wiping the entire HDD?

Reply 3027 of 4586, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BetaC wrote on 2021-03-08, 02:29:

The optical drive is shot, which I'm not too surprised about because my dad liked to close the drive door by pushing it back in...

And people wonder why apple switched to slot loaders for the G3 iMacs...

They were pretty terrible as well, so no surprise they went for a desktop-style trayloader in the iMac G4!

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 3028 of 4586, by DundyTheCroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not exactly dumpster find, but at work we have a lot of old hardware, ready for scrapping. To my regret the really old hardware is gone long time ago, but there is still something to find.
Today I had some time to excavate and found two SCSI drives (36.4 and 73GB), some useful cables, 3.5 to 5.25 HDD adapters and an unopened copy of Office 2000.

HDDs.jpg
Filename
HDDs.jpg
File size
227.73 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 3029 of 4586, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Daniël Oosterhuis wrote on 2021-03-08, 11:42:

They were pretty terrible as well, so no surprise they went for a desktop-style trayloader in the iMac G4!

And with a big, hard to break off front for the trays on the eMac.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 3030 of 4586, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found this stuff on my way to work!

1998 Compaq Presario 4112 with monitor (I have another out in my car but it's the style like the V500 with the weird power button)
1998 Compaq Presario 4528 with monitor pictured (missing Ram and the floppy drive but everything else is intact, looks as though they couldn't figure out how to get it apart any further thankfully but there was a floppy disk in the case oddly enough)
Fat PS2 with 8mb memory card and HDD / Networking add on
80's Onkyo Linear Tracking Turntable PL-25F

So I guess I was overthinking getting back into the hobby also, cause this was definitely exciting to drag home. 🤣

4m3E4Pr.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 3032 of 4586, by etomcat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Miphee wrote on 2021-01-30, 02:00:

don't even know what the Taritax does

Hello, there is hungarian language text on that black device which said it counts phone talk fees (likely per minute).

Reply 3033 of 4586, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote on 2021-03-10, 15:46:
So I guess I was overthinking getting back into the hobby also, cause this was definitely exciting to drag home. XD […]
Show full quote

So I guess I was overthinking getting back into the hobby also, cause this was definitely exciting to drag home. 🤣

4m3E4Pr.jpg

Equipment you found aside, I'm digging the retro furniture and orange shag carpet. Only thing about shag is you need a heavy weight vacuum cleaner with good suck action.

Reply 3034 of 4586, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote on 2021-03-13, 15:35:
So I guess I was overthinking getting back into the hobby also, cause this was definitely exciting to drag home. XD […]
Show full quote

4m3E4Pr.jpg

Equipment you found aside, I'm digging the retro furniture and orange shag carpet. Only thing about shag is you need a heavy weight vacuum cleaner with good suck action.

You can't forget you need a good shag rake as well. The house me and my wife bought had the original shag carpets in every room. The owners left the special vacuum and shag rake with the house.

Reply 3035 of 4586, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-03-13, 15:42:
liqmat wrote on 2021-03-13, 15:35:
Show full quote

4m3E4Pr.jpg

You can't forget you need a good shag rake as well. The house me and my wife bought had the original shag carpets in every room. The owners left the special vacuum and shag rake with the house.

Not to get off topic, but now I must have a pic. I don't think I have had the pleasure of viewing a "shag rake". 🤣

Reply 3036 of 4586, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That was 6 years ago I'll have to comb through the pictures we took when we first got the house. It looked like a small leaf rake.

I can't find the picture of the one that came with our house but I found a very similar one on line.

7ed1b1fa8fcab2ee53d3b363770eac96.jpg
Filename
7ed1b1fa8fcab2ee53d3b363770eac96.jpg
File size
24.88 KiB
Views
File comment
Shag rake
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception