Reply 720 of 4607, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
probnot wrote:
SW-SSG wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Dude, that's a Touch Systems box. I used to see those all the time in my youth. Are you Canadian?

That was my thought, too. There's a supermarket nearby me that still runs a few of those boxes for the tills. Same Enlight cases and Touch case badges.

Yup, I am. I used to see these all over as well, but I always though they were local. Didn't realize they were Canada-wide...

I thought so too.

Reply 722 of 4607, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I actually found a beige rig while walking home from groceries again!

I haven't opened it up yet but it looks to be roughly Pentium 3 or early Pentium 4 and I'm suspecting an FSP PSU! (300W).

It's also very dirty because it has been raining all day here today and the sound card seems to have been removed but otherwise it looks almost fully intact!

Will give more info after I eaten dinner 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 723 of 4607, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The graphics card is an FX5600 made by AOpen and the board had 2 Kingston 512MB DDR-400 memory modules (double sided).

And 2 harddrives, a 80GB SATA drive and I think 20GB IDE drive (haven't removed it from its drive cage yet).

Not bad, and it shouldn't as my arms are hurting quite a bit now but I feel like a happy child at christmas again 🤣!

Haven't removed the CPU HSF yet, nor opened up the PSU.

Pics!

001a.jpg
Filename
001a.jpg
File size
2.48 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
002a.jpg
Filename
002a.jpg
File size
2.53 MiB
Views
File license

edit: And dinner was pretty crummy. Maybe next time do not prepare a hot meal while disassembling and piccing a dumpsterfound computer at the same time 🤣!

edit2: CPU is a Northwood 2.66GHz.
The PSU does have swollen caps though.

Now I need to let everything dry though and do some cleaning up tomorrow. Not bad at all 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 724 of 4607, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ASUS P4P800S seems to be a decent i848P mobo, I have an Abit i848P mobo (IS7-V2) which works pretty well despite begin only single channel (i848P is basically the single channel RAM version of the i865PE)

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 725 of 4607, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last weekend, i found an old PC in the trash with a white PCB Soltek board (Soltek SL-85MR3-R), the CPU is a Pentium 4 Northwood 1.8A Ghz, 512 MB DDR, RTL8139 ethernet and a 400 watt PSU, the board POSTs, but it has the caps in really bad condition

Attachments

• 20170218_133705.jpg
    Filename
    20170218_133705.jpg
    File size
    1.23 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170218_162714.jpg
    Filename
    20170218_162714.jpg
    File size
    1.54 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 726 of 4607, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Carlos S. M. wrote:

Last weekend, i found an old PC in the trash with a white PCB Soltek board (Soltek SL-85MR3-R), the CPU is a Pentium 4 Northwood 1.8A Ghz, 512 MB DDR, RTL8139 ethernet and a 400 watt PSU, the board POSTs, but it has the caps in really bad condition

Planning on recapping that board? That's a fairly unique looking PCB which probably just needs new caps.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 727 of 4607, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Carlos S. M. wrote:

Planning on recapping that board? That's a fairly unique looking PCB which probably just needs new caps.

Yes, i plan on recap once i get a better soldering iron and the necessary caps, it would be my second time i recap a mobo after trying with an old QDI Platinix 2PE/800 and worked successfully

Reply 728 of 4607, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Carlos S. M. wrote:

ASUS P4P800S seems to be a decent i848P mobo, I have an Abit i848P mobo (IS7-V2) which works pretty well despite begin only single channel (i848P is basically the single channel RAM version of the i865PE)

I never even knew about i848, I was kinda expecting i845 but this one seems to be a bit better.

The parts are nothing out of the ordinary, but not as bad as most finds either.

The best part is of course that it was for free 😀

Carlos S. M. wrote:

That white PCB keeps looking interesting!

Btw, is that a silver-colored case?

Report spammers here!

Reply 729 of 4607, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
I never even knew about i848, I was kinda expecting i845 but this one seems to be a bit better. […]
Show full quote
Carlos S. M. wrote:

I never even knew about i848, I was kinda expecting i845 but this one seems to be a bit better.

The parts are nothing out of the ordinary, but not as bad as most finds either.

The best part is of course that it was for free 😀

Carlos S. M. wrote:

That white PCB keeps looking interesting!

Btw, is that a silver-colored case?

Nope, only some parts of the front are silder, the rest of the case is beige

My soltek mobo is 845GE based as i checked

Yeah, the 848P is more closer to the 865 series and not a part of the 845 series, 848P officially supports FSB 800, DDR400 and AGP 8x unlike the 845 line, just that Intel nerfed the 865PE to make the 848P by disabling the second chanel

Reply 730 of 4607, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hit a goldmine yesterday, not a retro goldmine, but a goldmine nonetheless. I found a complete WORKING Asus Essentio CM6870 system, which has Intel i5 3450 cpu, 8gb of ram, 2Tb hard drive, Geforce 530GT 2GB GPU and Asus p8h77-m pro motherboard. Swapped the GPU out to GTX 750Ti and added 4 more gigs of RAM, got a nice upgrade to my main PC, which was only a Core i5 650.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 731 of 4607, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Aideka wrote:

Hit a goldmine yesterday, not a retro goldmine, but a goldmine nonetheless. I found a complete WORKING Asus Essentio CM6870 system, which has Intel i5 3450 cpu, 8gb of ram, 2Tb hard drive, Geforce 530GT 2GB GPU and Asus p8h77-m pro motherboard. Swapped the GPU out to GTX 750Ti and added 4 more gigs of RAM, got a nice upgrade to my main PC, which was only a Core i5 650.

Wow, in a dumpster? Lucky you!

Reply 732 of 4607, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
krivulak wrote:
Aideka wrote:

Wow, in a dumpster? Lucky you!

Yep! It was in fact dumped in a metal recycling "dumpster" where people usually dump their old bicycles and rusty screws and such stuff. Only thing missing was the case side panels, which really wasn't a problem since I have a crapload of cases lying around 😀 . Got really lucky since it was just brought there, and not an hour later it started snowing really hard.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 733 of 4607, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

was looking for a nice controller to play some games on soon and got this package all in one (to bad the mouse is wireless 🙁 ). The din/PS2 connector comes in handy aswell 😀 (picture taken after cleaning the keyboard). Its a Trust windows 98 Power keyboard, Trust Ami wireless mouse (if rechargable batteries are on sale I might just hook up the set) and ofcourse the sight fighter plus in the box like new.
20170225_201715.jpg

Reply 734 of 4607, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^ If that Trust keyboard is anything like my Trust Direct Access keyboard was, don't expect it to be very suitable for gaming at all (only a few keys can be pressed together)...

Reply 735 of 4607, by Asaki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yawetaG wrote:

^ If that Trust keyboard is anything like my Trust Direct Access keyboard was, don't expect it to be very suitable for gaming at all (only a few keys can be pressed together)...

I game on Model-Ms, you get used to the key limit B)

Reply 736 of 4607, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not a great haul, but at least anything.
I love harddrives so much that I try to rescue every single one. But few days ago I came around two HDDs that even I was hesitating to get them. About two weeks ago it was snowing so hard that I can't even remember if it was this bad before. Week after it started melting in daylight, but at night the temperature dropped well below 0°C (-15°C - again, don't remember that happening before). It was melting and freezing and so on, and on the bottom very thick ice was formed (3-5 cm). And in this mess were trapped two harddrives. When it melted enough to the point I saw them, I had to KICK them out of the ice and brought them home, just to discover that somebody got a screwdriver and pryed the circuit board off. Funnily enough, when I tried to swap the board, they came alive and even passed the seektest, but because of inccorrect alignment they couldn't read anything. So the data IS recoverable (not that I want to).
P_20170226_181407_zpso8wqjqaf.jpg
When the snow/ice melted all the way, I returned and found a VCR. I need one because my grandmas one is waaaay past its mileage mark (maybe 4 or 5 times - super cheap Watson VCR working everyday since 2004, what got me was that it has page on radiomuseum 😁 http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/watson_video_cas … er_vr_3731.html). It is some Daewoo VCR (T220P maybe? I don't remember...), pretty cheaply made, but it has way less on odometer. It was eating tapes and not ejecting them. Quickly I found out that it just needed to clean the mode switch, heads and lubricate the pulling mechanism and now it works great.
P_20170211_131932_zpsljlh62qi.jpg
Yes... You see correctly. The label really says what you think it says. 😁
I don't watch this kind of... umm... filmography, but when I pulled it apart I found this tape hopelessly stuck inside. I just can imagine that horny teenager wanted to see some action, but the tape got stuck, so rather then admiring it to parents he just threw it to the dumpster. 😁
What is way a little bit scary, when I tried to play it, just for lols and giggles, there was a TV show about Multiple sclerosis...

And today I found this beast. It is Tesla Sonet Duo reel-to-reel player from early 1960s. It has steel case, weighs about 10 kilograms and has 5 tubes inside! (2 audio output, 1 eye tube and two more that I couldn't identify from first sight)
P_20170226_181431_zpsmruui1cy.jpgP_20170226_181450_zpssgp3rd3y.jpg
There is no way I would plug it into outlet, it needs recapping and some love before I can. But hey, in our country this is legendary piece of equipment!

Bah, super long post again. Please tell me, is it interesting or annoying when I write those long posts?

Reply 738 of 4607, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it's only annoying when people quote long posts, or posts with lots of images.

Those people need lessons in internet etiquette.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 739 of 4607, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
krivulak wrote:
And today I found this beast. It is Tesla Sonet Duo reel-to-reel player from early 1960s. It has steel case, weighs about 10 kil […]
Show full quote

And today I found this beast. It is Tesla Sonet Duo reel-to-reel player from early 1960s. It has steel case, weighs about 10 kilograms and has 5 tubes inside! (2 audio output, 1 eye tube and two more that I couldn't identify from first sight)
P_20170226_181431_zpsmruui1cy.jpgP_20170226_181450_zpssgp3rd3y.jpg
There is no way I would plug it into outlet, it needs recapping and some love before I can. But hey, in our country this is legendary piece of equipment!

Bah, super long post again. Please tell me, is it interesting or annoying when I write those long posts?

That's a sweet piece of gear. Question, though... Why is Tesla a Czech brand and not Croatian?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder