VOGONS

Reply 2260 of 4586, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote:

@oeuvre: How'd you get the Facebook reaction emoji?

google images

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 2261 of 4586, by Nprod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Baoran wrote:

The cathode ray tube and the electron gun won't turn on if there is no power plugged in which means there is no load even if the switch would be just a dumb switch. The cathode ray tube is the only load the high voltage power supply has inside a crt.
There are instructions online how to drain capacitors of a crt before trying to repair one. Do you think those instructions would be necessary if it would be that simple to drain them by just pressing the power button?

Indeed, after looking into it, i found out that crt technicians have a special tool that is more or less a fancy version of the ghetto method with the screwdriver and cable with alligator clips i referred to earlier. By the way, yesterday i managed to turn the brightness up on my old monitor (while on) using a long insulated screwdriver, wearing two pairs of latex gloves and keeping one hand behind my back. I wouldn't advise for anyone unqualified (like myself) to do this... 😒

Reply 2262 of 4586, by Whelmy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

dlltnlh.jpg

Found all of this at the local outdoors recycle drop off point last week. Covered in snow. Had to dry them out as best I could and then wait a good solid 24+ hours to make sure they had dried out.

15" Digital model PCXCV-BW Build date July 1998 (just after compaq bought them)
19" Samsung SyncMaster 997DF Build date October 2004
dell ps/2 keyboard, leveno usb mouse (still in wrapper at the time)

Not pictured also a pc

MSI KT3 ultra 2 motherboard
Athlon xp 1800+
256 mb ddr
MSI GF4 Mx440 64mb agp
SB Live 5.1
40gb maxtor (10 bad sectors)
US robotics 56k
Linksys 10/100 lan card
cd burner, Dvd drive and floppy all working

Reply 2263 of 4586, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Congratulations, you are now in posession of the best Socket A motherboard as far as I am concerned.. (still looking for one myself)

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2264 of 4586, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My colleagues found this in the dumpster and gave it to me as a present:

full.jpg

NEC JB-902M(E) Character Display

It has a simple mono composite-in, and as you can see it works happily with my ATi Small Wonder in Hercules mode. Skeletor approves. If I want to use this seriously (to whatever degree a 9" green composite monitor can be considered 'serious'), I do need a far, far better composite cable, as the one I now use suffers from awful ingress from the rest of the system, resulting in interference banding rolling up the screen.

Reply 2266 of 4586, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣
nice screen dionb , you can re-live the authentic Hercules experience!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2268 of 4586, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:

My colleagues found this in the dumpster and gave it to me as a present:

NEC JB-902M(E) Character Display

It has a simple mono composite-in, and as you can see it works happily with my ATi Small Wonder in Hercules mode. Skeletor approves. If I want to use this seriously (to whatever degree a 9" green composite monitor can be considered 'serious'), I do need a far, far better composite cable, as the one I now use suffers from awful ingress from the rest of the system, resulting in interference banding rolling up the screen.

Indeed very nice 😉 Whats the manufacturing date?

Reply 2269 of 4586, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Predator99 wrote:

[...]

Indeed very nice 😉 Whats the manufacturing date?

Not sure. There's a code "24776202" on the sticker on the back, which might imply 1977 week 24, but the only pic I can find online of the same sticker shows "24776201". Either that indicates the massive coincidence that these two rolled of the assembly line consecutively back then, or it's just a model/revision number, not a date or s/n.

Here's that pic:
quartdepomme.fr/quartdepomme/Hardware_A ... (E).html#5

Reply 2270 of 4586, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

marry your coworkers

Nah, there's a reason they're all divorced 😜

Their spouses wouldn't let them hoard old hardware?

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 2271 of 4586, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:

The data center I worked in the early 00s had hundreds of these and they were all eventually auctioned off. Never in a million years would I have thought people would find these heavy, noisy ass beasts desirable. After racking and unracking these for years I can thank some of these models for my lower back problems I have today. We replaced them all with Dell rack servers. Out of all the Proliant rack models of the time I found the 1U DL360 G1 my favorite. Small, lightweight and reliable with decent specs and we would setup rows of them in load balancing scenarios.

Yeah, it took two of us to load that Proliant 3000 into my truck. I could barely get it into the house by myself! The other two aren't too bad. I can manage moving them around myself, but not that monster. Good grief.

Funny thing is I just scrapped a DL360 G2 last week. I did keep the two 36.4GB drives, and the two Pentium III-S 1.4GHz Tualitins though!

luckybob wrote:

Oh man, I just feel how heavy those beasts are from Denver.

Glorious.

Indeed glorious. The sound coming from that PL1600R with all 4 10k RPM SCSI drives spinning is Heavenly. 😁

chinny22 wrote:
Awesome! Here's my 16oo tower. Proliant 1600 Barn (well shop office) Find https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmDx2ZM44JU […]
Show full quote

Awesome!
Here's my 16oo tower.
Proliant 1600 Barn (well shop office) Find
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmDx2ZM44JU

I've upgraded mine a fair bit, pretty much maxed out now. I'll have to update the post, but you can mount the LCD the correct way, it just clips in.

I'd love to convert both of those 1600s to towers, but finding their pedestals and bezels would likely be next to impossible. As for the LCD I found that odd too that someone would mount it sideways for some unapparent reason, unless that person enjoyed looking at things from a different perspective from time to time. 🤣

Reply 2272 of 4586, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was driving through a posh suburb today - where of course they have posh hard-rubbish - and noticed a nice 17" Sony CRT monitor, VCR, Stereo system, etc. Sadly the copper jerks had cut all the cables off, so I left it all there.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2273 of 4586, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had access to a decent haul the other day, but almost every cable had been cut. Copper prices must have just gone up. There were cable ends everywhere.

Seriously, how much copper do you get out of a mouse cable, anyway? A quarter penny?

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 2274 of 4586, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had no idea cable cutting was a thing. How lame. I do remember reading about thieves who were actually taking apart people's A/C condenser units while they were sleeping for the copper. The homeowners would wake up to a non-functioning A/C. You have to be pretty freakin desperate to pull these kind of stunts.

Reply 2275 of 4586, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:

I had no idea cable cutting was a thing. How lame. I do remember reading about thieves who were actually taking apart people's A/C condenser units while they were sleeping for the copper. The homeowners would wake up to a non-functioning A/C. You have to be pretty freakin desperate to pull these kind of stunts.

Now and then there's a major electricity outage at the local railways because copper thieves stole some cables from the railroad track...

More rarely, a fried thief is found next to it. 😵

Reply 2276 of 4586, by Whelmy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

E-waste pile was stacked again

couple of dell machines and an older Emachine. Dell XPS 8700 and an optiplex 790 and a lone Evga geforce 6200 512mb AGP card.

Emachine had two sticks of pc-100 unknown size for both sticks, one has NEC chips the other samsung. and a Celeron 600 mhz. Nothing else really worth saving.

Both Dell systems were already gutted by whoever seems to show up doing the same thing I do before me, all of the add on cards removed, all of the memory even PSU's often gone. the only thing they don't seem to go after are the cpu's as I suppose getting the heatsink off is to much of a bother for them.

The XPS was a hell of a system when it was new going by the system build code on dells site, i7 4790, 24gb of ram, 256mb SSD, 2 tb HDD. The optiplex as well was gutted but also still had it's cpu, a i7 2600

No idea if any of this works, I'll be testing the 4790 eventually in my system as it's an upgrade over my current i5. ram not pictured. (had a spare plastic cpu tray from my 4690, so I plopped the 4790 in)

Attachments

• cpu.jpg
    Filename
    cpu.jpg
    File size
    764.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2277 of 4586, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday... this was going to be gone.... forever!

Seeing this going for the landfill... I could not help but save it from near doom.

A Digital Prioris 6200, Dual P-Pro server.... my first P-Pro! I see it has EISA slots, and weird looking smaller white ones... apparently called PCI!

Attachments

• 20190216_212543.jpg
    Filename
    20190216_212543.jpg
    File size
    999.47 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Digital Prioris P-Pro Server
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 2278 of 4586, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just found 2 old mice, a Logitech Trackman T-CC2-9F and a A4Tech 4D scroll trackball mouse in the garbage at work, i hooked em up and they both work fine.

sEj0qYw.jpg

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS