VOGONS

Reply 2060 of 4586, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

extra lucky today, found a whole socket 5 pentium 60/66 system, haven't powered it on yet.

IMG_20180929_165140.jpg
IMG_20180929_165623.jpg

very surprised the cpu doesn't have any paste on it

Reply 2061 of 4586, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Up until Pentium 3 (ZIF CPUs wise) you didn't need thermal paste. Starting with the PGA370 Pentium 3 CPUs it was needed.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 2062 of 4586, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I love hgow they didn't even remove the sticker off the top of the CPU... Yay! Let's make sure there is an artificial air-gap in between most of the CPU and the heatsink.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2063 of 4586, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never knew that, most of the cpus I bought 486 - early pentium all came with some kind of paste always. Always learn something new on vogons!

haha yeha it works out well for me because that cpu is going straight into my cpu collection, looks spotless!

And im going to be putting a 486 vlb with amd 133 which parts I have been accumulating and was short of a case!

Just identified the board its a soyo SY-032 with a isa vibra 16, isa floppy controller and pci hdd controller! 2x creative cdrom

This is one of my best finds to date!

going to fire it up once and check it out before putting in the 486

Reply 2065 of 4586, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote:

Up until Pentium 3 (ZIF CPUs wise) you didn't need thermal paste. Starting with the PGA370 Pentium 3 CPUs it was needed.

I used thermal paste back in the 486 era.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 2066 of 4586, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unknown_K wrote:
PcBytes wrote:

I used thermal paste back in the 486 era.

Honestly it's a YMMV situation. At least I didn't need thermal paste on ceramic CPUs. Only the exposed core (PGA370 Coppermine and usually all Socket A CPUs) and the ones with IHS (late P3 and all P4 chips onwards) I needed to apply thermal paste.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 2067 of 4586, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

That's not a Pentium 60 or 66. Those used Socket 4. ...

treeman wrote:

soyo SY-032

...would imply it is indeed socket 4 and the typo "socket 5" being a typo in the original post. That is indeed a very nice find...

treeman wrote:

... pci hdd controller!

That's a bit unusual... which card is it? Also, what video card?

Reply 2068 of 4586, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

dersammler is correct, I fired it up and P75-S
Also writing says socket 5, I must of got the board identification wrong but it looks exactly the same as the one in the link on the picture, perhaps it's a slightly different revision.

Here is pictures of video + pci hdd controller and socket
These are all very nice parts for my collection!

IMG_20180930_082621.jpg
IMG_20180930_082614.jpg
IMG_20180930_082634.jpg

Turns out has windows95 installed and 500mb hard drive too and works! I opened up the psu was quiet clean too and no visual leaks swelling on capacitors!

Quiet nice system but my plans are to put in a 486 vlb with a 586 133 clocked to 160 in this case which ironically is kind of comparable to P75 or P90 clocked to 160

I found the correct motherboard it is SY-033 A2/A5/A1M
Processor Speed
75/90/100MHz

Reply 2069 of 4586, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^Oh, well... socket 5 is nice, too. TIM was even less necessary for these as they run much cooler than the socket 4 P60/66 chips did.

There is little information about that video card but there is likely a S3 Vision864 or Vision868 under that sticker, given the date and presence of SDAC.

PCI IDE card looks like it's CMD640B based; be warned of the data corruption bug that can affect these controllers.

Reply 2070 of 4586, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yes it said S3 Vision864 on start-up
thanx for the warning ill be sure to try not use the pci controller, all the pci boards I have built in hdd and floppy controllers, but good to know for future projects

Reply 2071 of 4586, by jxalex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PcBytes wrote:

It does not make sense to have a heatsink or cooler on top of the CPU while having no thermal compound... 😉

it is a common sense in electronics to HAVE a SOMETHING between the hot surface AND heatsink. WIthout thermal paste/pad/compound it will be in a very bad thermal contact and inefficient usage of the cooler.

Without thermal compount with hot CPUs of course it would mean the overheating, while for cooler CPUs it will be as a result that the fan is not needed on a heatsink when thermal paste is applied.

Current project: DOS ISA soundcard with 24bit/96Khz digital I/O, SB16 compatible switchable.
newly made SB-clone ...with 24bit and AES/EBU... join in development!

Reply 2072 of 4586, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yeah I put heat paste on everything with a heatsink it never hurts.

Also the way I like to see it, on microscopic levels no surfaces are totally flat so the paste helps to fit those gaps on heatsink and cpu, everything touching

Reply 2074 of 4586, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, many computer builders did so back in the days, it wasn't a big deal. Sure it's better, but it wasn't really a requirement.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2075 of 4586, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jxalex wrote:

It does not make sense to have a heatsink or cooler on top of the CPU while having no thermal compound... 😉

it is a common sense in electronics to HAVE a SOMETHING between the hot surface AND heatsink. WIthout thermal paste/pad/compound it will be in a very bad thermal contact and inefficient usage of the cooler.

That's not correct. The gold cap is a heatsink already. Thermal paste is only to prevent the incurrence of hot spots or to link uneven surfaces. It's completely unnecessary to use thermal paste with CPUs that have a gold cap or any other form of a fixed heatsink attached already. And it wasn't done back then because of this.

The first CPUs that *required* thermal paste were those with the die directly exposed.

Reply 2076 of 4586, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got to do some dumpster diving after another lab was cleared out at work:

full.jpg

A huge power block, some KVM octopus cables, a few copper (RJ45) SFP modules (which I need for troubleshooting why my optics at home aren't working als I'd like), some antistatic bags, a Cherry MY-1800 compact keyboard and a 19" complete PS/2 / VGA KVM solution with TFT monitor and laptop-style (but mechanical laptop style!) keyboard.

Had been wanting to try out MY-switches, but given their not too stellar reputation I didn't really want to spend any money on them. Problem solved. Of course, a colleague who was in the office earlier today picked the real cherry out of the pie - some Swiss-made custom keyboard with what felt like Cherry MX blue switches, but possibly something more exotic, as the click sound seemed softer and the tactile feedback more definite than I'd expect with MX blues. Couldn't convince him to part with it, unsurprisingly.

Reply 2077 of 4586, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was dumpster diving a few days ago. Got these ISA cards. Anyone knows what were they for?

Attachments

• IMG_7342.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_7342.JPG
    File size
    633.12 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2078 of 4586, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Turbo -> wrote:

I was dumpster diving a few days ago. Got these ISA cards. Anyone knows what were they for?

Battery backed RAM is what they look like to me.

Possibly for some nice RAM drives on an old system.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2079 of 4586, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Heck of a lot of batteries for 1 card (3x NiCd and 1 Lithium).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser