VOGONS

Reply 2180 of 4584, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have used gearbox oil for various spindles. It has low viscosity and won't escape on any spindle etc.

Some weeks ago I scored a Nokia 445ZA 21" CRT monitor and a nice AT tower with QDI Titanium IB based P166MMX + 16MB RAM + 2MB Rage3D + Crystal based sound. Both needed repair, the board couldn't hold CMOS settings. Eventually I found a burned trace on it and a shorted diode, repairing those and all works perfectly again. The monitor had a dead voltage regulator on it. It has 17k hours on it so about halfway through its life but the image is still bright, without any burn in and cathodes are still good and reach cutoff so no discolorations etc. in dark colors 😁

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2181 of 4584, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
Baoran wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

See if you can pump the bearings full of oil based lubricant (I used petroleum jelly). I did that with a seized Radeon 9100 fan and it's been resurrected for years.

Would gun oil have too low viscosity to be used in something like that?

Gun oil might be kinda thin. I always use 5w-30 or 10w-30 full synthetic motor oil. Haven't had to re-oil a single fan in years. Best to take the fan apart and clean all the dried up oil and dirt out first though.

I removed the cooler and the fan and cleaned the card itself, but I am actually not sure how to take the fan apart. There don't seem to be a screw behind the ati sticker.

Reply 2182 of 4584, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
Baoran wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

See if you can pump the bearings full of oil based lubricant (I used petroleum jelly). I did that with a seized Radeon 9100 fan and it's been resurrected for years.

Gun oil might be kinda thin. I always use 5w-30 or 10w-30 full synthetic motor oil. Haven't had to re-oil a single fan in years. Best to take the fan apart and clean all the dried up oil and dirt out first though.

I lubricated the fan twice. It runs better and no loud noise, but there is quiet rattle that I can hear all the time which probably means that the bearings are simply too far gone that the fan could be saved.

Reply 2183 of 4584, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was able to rescue the following from company scrap over the last months. Finally got the gatepass signed to get all the stuff home:
- HP XW6000 dual Xeon workstation
- HP XW6200 dual Xeon workstation
- HP XW4600 C2D
- HP MSA 60 external SAS/SATA storage enclosure
- V7 media FX ISA soundboard, Ensonic chipset
- 2x Compaq 3,5/5,25 dual floppy drives
- Quadro 4 AGP grahics (fan stuck)
- P166 MMX CPU (slightly bent pins)
- 32 MB PS/2 parity RAM stick
- 8 port Compaq KVM switch
forgot to mention
- 2x 3C509 ISA Ethernet with bootrom
- 3C900 PCI Ethernet
- ASC-29160LP PCI64 SCSI
- Quadro FX570 PCI-E
eisapc

Last edited by eisapc on 2018-12-10, 06:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2184 of 4584, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recycler got this in and simply gave it away to whoever said yes because there was absolutely nothing about it that he could recycle.

IMG_2060.jpg
IMG_2061.jpg

It is very much a custom PC case with a vertical slot loading DVD drive and the ATX chassis slides out on rails but what steals the show about this.....monolith is not the asthetic, or the stainless steel trim but the fact it's made out of 1/2" slabs of black granite and weighs 150lbs.

Why the f--- does this exist?????

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 2185 of 4584, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow and I thought rack systems were heavy. I am guessing for a home theater setup or something like that and everything around it was also made of granite and they wanted the system to match the decor.

Reply 2186 of 4584, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, that's... something else. Put it on top of your high end granite countertop.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 2187 of 4584, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Granite is HEAVY, possibly this was for the acoustics, to keep audible vibrations down to a minimum. But you can do that cheaper, somebody was showing off here 😉

Reply 2189 of 4584, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CelGen wrote:
Recycler got this in and simply gave it away to whoever said yes because there was absolutely nothing about it that he could rec […]
Show full quote

Recycler got this in and simply gave it away to whoever said yes because there was absolutely nothing about it that he could recycle.

IMG_2060.jpg
IMG_2061.jpg

It is very much a custom PC case with a vertical slot loading DVD drive and the ATX chassis slides out on rails but what steals the show about this.....monolith is not the asthetic, or the stainless steel trim but the fact it's made out of 1/2" slabs of black granite and weighs 150lbs.

Because it's awesome! 🤣

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2190 of 4584, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Agreed, that thing is sweet! I dare you to build a gaming rig in it & bring it to LAN parties. You might need a forklift (or at least a sturdy hand-truck.)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2191 of 4584, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like a custom built case. Heavy AF, but, looks pretty cool.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 2192 of 4584, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just want to know what the hell compelled them to mount the optical drive vertically.
After all that effort into the enclosure and putting the chassis on slide rails there's $5 in angle brackets from The Home Depot that makes it hang akwardly from the top and supported from one side. It's like an afterthought but they clearly planned out the brush-edged stainless steel bezel slot before everything was put together.
Once I find another slot loading DVD drive I'll have to rebuild this weird bracket.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 2193 of 4584, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CelGen wrote:

I just want to know what the hell compelled them to mount the optical drive vertically.
After all that effort into the enclosure and putting the chassis on slide rails there's $5 in angle brackets from The Home Depot that makes it hang akwardly from the top and supported from one side. It's like an afterthought but they clearly planned out the brush-edged stainless steel bezel slot before everything was put together.
Once I find another slot loading DVD drive I'll have to rebuild this weird bracket.

Well, it's not like the standard chassis etc. was visible from the outside...everyone who sees it simply goes "Wow, that's cool" and doesn't pay a thought to how the internals are...

Reply 2194 of 4584, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CelGen wrote:
Recycler got this in and simply gave it away to whoever said yes because there was absolutely nothing about it that he could rec […]
Show full quote

IMG_2060.jpg
IMG_2061.jpg

Reminds me of a gravestone.

Reply 2195 of 4584, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Certainly unusual - maybe once belonged to a kitchen fitter 😀 , or.... 🤣

BB.jpg
Filename
BB.jpg
File size
183.53 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2196 of 4584, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
Baoran wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

I use Zoom Spout Highest Quality Turbine Oil.

Attachments

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 2197 of 4584, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The last few days were good days for rubbish:

full.jpg

On the right a Toshiba T1200 I received from a local old lady who spotted it while out walking the dog. It's one of the first recognizable laptops (as opposed to huge luggables). This one dates from late 1987 and comes with an 80C86 CPU two FDDs and no HDD. It supposedly has all kinds of nifty features such as built-in LIM EMS support for the upper 386kB of RAM, and the option to use this as a battery-backed RAMdisk, which allowed instantaneous launching of (small) apps. That also reduces the impact of not having a HDD- DOS boots from ROM and something like WordPerfect can be loaded from RAMdrive. In fact it's probably good that it's the version without HDD, as Toshiba used a completely unique one-off proprietary drive+interface for the high-end T1200, so if it's not working perfectly, you're effectively screwed. Unfortunately an ominous LED flashes red at me when I hook up power, and it doesn't do anymore than that. Apparently these things are notorious for (leaking) battery problems, with three separate batteries (main system battery, reputed to die within a year of sale, CMOS battery and a separate battery for the RAM. Haven't opened it up yet, sort of dread what I might see...

On the left one I saved myself, a Sun LSA800 18" TFT. It has a pretty decent (I believe IPS, in any event not TN) panel with standard 1280x1024 5:4 resolution. Apart from the cool Sun branding, the outstanding feature is that it is probably the only TFT with a 13W3 connector and the electronics to display legacy Sun display modes. Now I don't currently have any of those, but who knows when I might come across one. In the meantime it also does a very good job with DOS VGA 😀

Reply 2198 of 4584, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Earlier this week I took a dive into a basement and salvaged some stuff. Nothing especially interesting, but I think it worth my time.

Motherboard of an older HP office PC (HP Vectra VEi 8) and a P2 (SL2HA):

IMG-1052.jpg IMG-1054.jpg

I already had a board like that with some of the other parts of the other parts (network adaptor, 500MHz Katmai). It seems to be decent. I could tolerate a Slot-1 mobo with an AGP slot , but at least it was free 😒 This time I secured the case too, but I haven't bring that home yet. The CPU is already tested and working.

The other two is a Western Digital WD90C31 and a Matrox Millennium 2:

IMG-1049.jpg IMG-1050.jpg

I don't know anything about the WD. It was fairly clean when I found it, so I'd expect it to work. As for the Millennium, it's already tested and working.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 2199 of 4584, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wd90c3x are great dos vga cards, they won't disappoint you 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website