VOGONS

Reply 2200 of 4584, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is Western Design Center 😜
I got a WD90C30 not so long ago and it is very good, the fastest ISA video card I have, sligtly faster than the TVGA8900D I was using earlier in one of my machines.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2201 of 4584, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Haven't picked up anything in a while, but today I rescued this Gateway tower on the hope that it might fit my Gateway/ALR 7200 server board. It's missing the top piece of plastic (big whoop) but is otherwise in great shape. I'll have to dremel out the I/O shield area (there's no shield, the ports are just stamped into the case) unless I get extraordinarily lucky, and almost certainly have to remove the internal 3.5" HDD bays, but if it fits I'm not complaining.

CameraZOOM-20181219175541943.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20181219175541943.jpg
File size
205.72 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
CameraZOOM-20181219175630620.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20181219175630620.jpg
File size
185.63 KiB
Views
File license
CameraZOOM-20181219174604837.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20181219174604837.jpg
File size
293.12 KiB
Views
File license

The board extends past the top of the I/O shield area which makes it incompatible with 95% of standard cases. This is the first one I've come across in ages that actually gives me some room up there.

I also snagged this Chicony-built Samsung keyboard. No idea what it came from, but it feels (& sounds) like a buckling spring(!) or some other kind of mechanical mechanism, and it has an AT/XT switch on the bottom, so I figured it was worth grabbing. The cable was cut off but I can fix that easily.

CameraZOOM-20181212194556130.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20181212194556130.jpg
File size
299.76 KiB
Views
File license
CameraZOOM-20181212194649782.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20181212194649782.jpg
File size
194.91 KiB
Views
File license

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2202 of 4584, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote:

It is Western Design Center :P ...

Wrong, it actually is Western Digital.

They were a much more interesting and varied company before they switched to specializing in HDDs... kind of like how AMD was before they became CPUs-only.

Reply 2203 of 4584, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there anything that can be done about all this corrosion on this AT case to make it more shiny again?
The painted cover is fine, but all shiny parts inside and outside have corrosion like this.
Or should I just throw the case in the bin?

case1.jpg
Filename
case1.jpg
File size
1.87 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 2204 of 4584, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baoran wrote:
Is there anything that can be done about all this corrosion on this AT case to make it more shiny again? The painted cover is f […]
Show full quote

Is there anything that can be done about all this corrosion on this AT case to make it more shiny again?
The painted cover is fine, but all shiny parts inside and outside have corrosion like this.

case1.jpg

I know a guy who just did amazing metal restoration work for me on a furniture piece. Let me see what he says about that photo before you toss it.

He said, "if he's going to try to restore it I would say light soap and a very fine stainless steel wire brush...and test it in an unseen area first..."

he also said "be gentle" not too hard.

Reply 2205 of 4584, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SW-SSG wrote:
Tiido wrote:

It is Western Design Center 😜 ...

Wrong, it actually is Western Digital.

They were a much more interesting and varied company before they switched to specializing in HDDs... kind of like how AMD was before they became CPUs-only.

Oh wow, now I know. Somehow I remember that logo being of WDC, who made the 65x line CPUs and I assumed they were doing these chips too (but seems they only do CPUs). And WDC's logo is completely different too...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2206 of 4584, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote:
I know a guy who just did amazing metal restoration work for me on a furniture piece. Let me see what he says about that photo b […]
Show full quote
Baoran wrote:
Is there anything that can be done about all this corrosion on this AT case to make it more shiny again? The painted cover is f […]
Show full quote

case1.jpg

I know a guy who just did amazing metal restoration work for me on a furniture piece. Let me see what he says about that photo before you toss it.

He said, "if he's going to try to restore it I would say light soap and a very fine stainless steel wire brush...and test it in an unseen area first..."

he also said "be gentle" not too hard.

Something like this? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIRE-BRUSH-SET-SMA … PC/323513080554

Would a dremel with polish tip do anything? I might be able to borrow one.

Reply 2207 of 4584, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would not dremel anything to start. start slow and easy in a small area by hand. as far as the type of brush I would experiment on another piece of metal and see. luckily i haven't had to deal with something quite that oxidized yet.

Reply 2209 of 4584, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:
Show full quote

case1.jpg

Sand blasting and recoating (electroplating - hard, or painting - easier) is the only realiable way. Maybe some auto repair shop can help you with that.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 2210 of 4584, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:

Maybe try and get hold of some of that super-fine wire wool used by wood restorers (works great on metals too)

#000 or #0000 grade is pretty fine. If the steel was originally galvanized, you might have to apply another finish (maybe clearcoat) when you're done.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2211 of 4584, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:
Show full quote

case1.jpg

I would just sand it down with fine grit sand paper then spray paint it with an appropriate mettallic paint.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2213 of 4584, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:

It might be an aluminum case and not steel one because it is rather light if it makes difference in how I should deal with it with it.

It's not aliminum, I'm sure it's zinc plated steel. The zinc plating göne bad.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 2214 of 4584, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:

Haven't picked up anything in a while, but today I rescued this Gateway tower on the hope that it might fit my Gateway/ALR 7200 server board. It's missing the top piece of plastic (big whoop) but is otherwise in great shape. I'll have to dremel out the I/O shield area (there's no shield, the ports are just stamped into the case) unless I get extraordinarily lucky, and almost certainly have to remove the internal 3.5" HDD bays, but if it fits I'm not complaining.

It must be the season for getting rid of that specific era Gateway. I recently got two, one of which I intend to house a PPro board (rather anachronistically). The other one is fully functional and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 2216 of 4584, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:
Baoran wrote:
Show full quote

case1.jpg

Sand blasting and recoating (electroplating - hard, or painting - easier) is the only realiable way. Maybe some auto repair shop can help you with that.

Agree with this advise.
Drilling and sanding etc. of oxidized zinc plated stuff presents a potential hazard to your health - at least that is what I seem to remember.
It's a nice case and worth having it restored in a professional way imo.

Reply 2218 of 4584, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

End of year clear outs = Christmas for me

Didn't get a pic of before but stripped out a pair of faulty HP 3135 Micro Towers
Parts2.jpg

Grabbed the SATA DVD-RW, 500GB HDD, USB Card reader, chipset heatsinks from both and a PSU from one of them, also grabbed the 90mm case fans for one of my cases only to find I need 80mm

More interesting is from another site where I scored 4 servers in total
15-Servers.jpg

DL140 G2 Single 2.8GHz CPU, 1GB RAM (unracked not in pic)
DL360 G4 Single 3.40Ghz CPU, 3GB Ram
DL360 G5 Fails to POST (unracked not in pic, probably BECASUE its dead)

Could only get one of the Dell 1950's as the other is acting as a shelf, Still grabbed its CPU+Heatsink, RAM, PSU from it. Didn't bother with the HDD's as only 80GB
Annoying thing is the one I got fails to post due to a controller error, probably fixable but wish I checked if the other worked and used the faulty one for parts.

No plans yet they'll join my other post P3 era servers in long term storage

Reply 2219 of 4584, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote:
End of year clear outs = Christmas for me […]
Show full quote

End of year clear outs = Christmas for me

Didn't get a pic of before but stripped out a pair of faulty HP 3135 Micro Towers
Parts2.jpg

Grabbed the SATA DVD-RW, 500GB HDD, USB Card reader, chipset heatsinks from both and a PSU from one of them, also grabbed the 90mm case fans for one of my cases only to find I need 80mm

More interesting is from another site where I scored 4 servers in total

DL140 G2 Single 2.8GHz CPU, 1GB RAM (unracked not in pic)
DL360 G4 Single 3.40Ghz CPU, 3GB Ram
DL360 G5 Fails to POST (unracked not in pic, probably BECASUE its dead)

Could only get one of the Dell 1950's as the other is acting as a shelf, Still grabbed its CPU+Heatsink, RAM, PSU from it. Didn't bother with the HDD's as only 80GB
Annoying thing is the one I got fails to post due to a controller error, probably fixable but wish I checked if the other worked and used the faulty one for parts.

No plans yet they'll join my other post P3 era servers in long term storage

What does the big red dial in the yellow shroud on the wall do? 😀

My best guess is it opens a time portal, but please correct me if I'm wrong.