VOGONS

Reply 60 of 4600, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Had a lot of thrash finds, when my dad worked at the landfill, like
4 prototype games for the philips videopac, that i end up selling and bought a ps3 when it was first released.
A laser 2001 boxed, that went to a other collector.
2 comx35 computers, 1 printer and tapedrive.
Philips msx1

Reply 61 of 4600, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:
I would leave Snow Leopard on there ... it's probably one of the best incarnations of OSX they ever made. Plus you can run Power […]
Show full quote
Standard Def Steve wrote:

OS X 10.6.8. I'm definitely not a fan of OS X, but I think newer versions of the OS were free upgrades for Snow Leopard users, so I'll probably update that. I will definitely install Windows 7 on this machine.

I would leave Snow Leopard on there ... it's probably one of the best incarnations of OSX they ever made. Plus you can run PowerPC apps "near-natively" with Rosetta which isn't offered on anything later.

I think Lion (10.7) is the highest you can go up to on that thing anyway & it doesn't really offer anything more over Snow Leopard, it's really not much of an upgrade. Hardly any software runs on Lion but doesn't run on SL.

As for loading win7 on there, well if that's your thing I'm not going to try to argue you out of it, but ick. 😜

I just did some reading on these first gen Intel Macs. It looks like Snow Leopard is the highest they'll go officially, though one can update the firmware, drop in a Socket M Core 2 Duo and run Lion. Totally not worth the effort. 😀

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 62 of 4600, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I dragged this out of my own trash pile.

vlcsnap-2015-10-27-06h50m08s946.png
Filename
vlcsnap-2015-10-27-06h50m08s946.png
File size
1.19 MiB
Views
File comment
A chunky PSU.
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I wonder if it can be repaired. Last time I used it it would run for a while then whistle and shut off or cause the system to randomly reboot. I suspect capacitors though it was not a high quality PSU - it did last almost a decade though and was under heavy load the whole time.

Probably worth a go, hard to find PSUs with a strong 5V rail and both -5V and -12V supplies on the cable. Not sure the spiders which have taken up residence will be happy with me, but I am sure they will find something else to live in. I decided not to include pictures of the spider infestation because some people don't like them, though I did snag an image of the large one living nearby.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 63 of 4600, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally made a list of what I recovered from the garage. And I've only gone through about half of it so far:

ASRock 775i65G mobo (Socket 775)
5x Gigabyte M61PME-S2 (Socket AM2)
Gigabyte GA-686-LX3 (Slot 1)
Biostar P4M900-M7FE (Socket 775)
Gigabyte GA7IX (Slot A)

Intel PII 550 SL3F7
Intel Celeron D SL8H7 2.66Ghz
Intel Celeron SL9XN 1.8Ghz
Intel PIII SL52R 1Ghz
Intel i3 330m
Intel Core 2 Duo T4200
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200
AMD Athlon 64

Commodore 1084-D Colour Monitor
UMC 486DX-33 CPU and VLB motherboard
Dell Optiplex GX1
Toshiba Core 2 Duo Laptop
Apple iBook G4

Intel 740 AGP Graphics
Leadtek WinFast A340 Geforce 5200
XFX Geforce 6600
EVGA Geforce GT 630
ATi Rage IIC AGP
Gigabyte Radeon HD 4550

2x generic ATX Cases
Netgear N150 router
Random KVM
Games: Evolva, Gangsters, Call of Duty, Settlers Gold, GTA, Civ III, Operation, Space Tripper, The East Ninja (C64).
Bunch of optical drives
PCMCIA CD-ROM
2x Floppy Drives
NT 4.0
Win 98
2Wire ADSL Router
Wireless Keyboard / Mouse Combo
2x external SATA caddies
3x random ISA controllers
Some SIMMS
Bunch of SD-RAM, DDR, DDR2, DDR3 DIMMS and SO-DIMMS
2x USB floppy drives

Most of it is useful rather than interesting but the highlights for me are the VLB system, the Commodore monitor (which works although not in colour at the moment so I need to open it up and check the PCB - fortunately I used to be a Mac certified engineer so I'm handy with a CRT), and the iBook (which powers up but there is no picture on the LCD). Also I never had a Slot A system so that board and CPU combo is interesting, especially when you add the fact that it was the first slot A board to be released after AMD's own reference board (which it closely resembles). I had no AM2 systems either so I don't even know how they compare to the Core 2 Duo - looking forward to a benchmark sesh. The Intel graphics card is also very interesting as it was the world's first AGP graphics card and became the basis of the GMA chipset.

EDIT: most of this was recovered from systems that were physically trashed or were boxed but I've tested very little of it. Half of it could turn out to be junk!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 64 of 4600, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today, while walking with my girlfriend, I came across these beautiful finds, instantly saved from the road and brought in my garage/lab, HP Server ProLiant ML350 G6 & IBM xSeries 206 workstation - this is the first time I find in the dumpster professional servers:

photo145332622781950290.jpg photo145332622781950291.jpg photo145332622781950289.jpg photo145332622781950292.jpg

photo145332622781950294.jpg photo145332622781950295.jpg photo145332622781950293.jpg

Reply 65 of 4600, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Left: Pentium MMX 233Mhz, Asus VX97 96Mb Ram
Powersupply, solderjoints broken, 5V Line dead.

Right: Luckystar 6VBX2 with Celeron 333Mhz, Yamaha ISA Soundcard (Rust, Dust, Case Bend..)
Mainboard finds Random Ramsizes (64Mb as 32Mb some times as 64Mb, 192Mb as 128Mb etc..)

Both in Bad Condition, already fixed pictures follow in System Spec

And, a Tevion LCD TV 2022, with defective Power Supply, (broken Caps) now working again.

Attachments

• Gefunden.jpg
    Filename
    Gefunden.jpg
    File size
    102.58 KiB
    Views
    File license

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 66 of 4600, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote:
Left: Pentium MMX 233Mhz, Asus VX97 96Mb Ram Powersupply, solderjoints broken, 5V Line dead. […]
Show full quote

Left: Pentium MMX 233Mhz, Asus VX97 96Mb Ram
Powersupply, solderjoints broken, 5V Line dead.

Right: Luckystar 6VBX2 with Celeron 333Mhz, Yamaha ISA Soundcard (Rust, Dust, Case Bend..)
Mainboard finds Random Ramsizes (64Mb as 32Mb some times as 64Mb, 192Mb as 128Mb etc..)

Both in Bad Condition, already fixed pictures follow in System Spec

And, a Tevion LCD TV 2022, with defective Power Supply, (broken Caps) now working again.

I used to own that exact case on the left in the late 90's 🤣

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 67 of 4600, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BSA Starfire wrote:

I DO own that case on the left, it has my 486 DX4 100 in it 😎
Although mine has a clock speed display above the power button, not sure what that one has there.

Reply 69 of 4600, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GoblinUpTheRoad wrote:
BSA Starfire wrote:

Although mine has a clock speed display above the power button, not sure what that one has there.

I've got that same case as well, minus the turbo button.

Reply 70 of 4600, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GoblinUpTheRoad wrote:
BSA Starfire wrote:

I have that version in three different types here..
A new big tower i purchased in my country
Got the desktop version here, and also that one on that picture minitower.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 71 of 4600, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robin4 wrote:

That's amazing really, USA, UK, Netherlands and Australia all have that same style case, essentially worldwide.

Reply 73 of 4600, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GoblinUpTheRoad wrote:
Robin4 wrote:

That's amazing really, USA, UK, Netherlands and Australia all have that same style case, essentially worldwide.

Add Turkey to the list. I did not own any of them but sold and serviced a lot during the times (mid-late 90's).

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 74 of 4600, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I must have picked up a truckload of stuff in the past three years or so from three different dumps. A lot of it I posted about here, skipped even more.

The most notable finds:
- 32" Sony LCD TV with a blown fuse, quick fix, worked fine
- ASUS K73S laptop with an i7 - needed a new DC jack, left hinge and LCD case which I was able to get for cheap
- couple of 22" LG LCD monitors
- a Commodore C64
- two EPSON HX-20 machines
- a fairly recent HP laser printer
- a dirty but working Nintendo NES
...and much more 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 76 of 4600, by Mr_ppp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GoblinUpTheRoad wrote:
Robin4 wrote:

Awesome. I also have just got a brand new desktop version of this case, it seems to get around!

pc.png
Filename
pc.png
File size
128.45 KiB
Views
File license
GoblinUpTheRoad wrote:

Its an Energy star logo but behind it is a recess which I did wonder what it was for, you've now answered that for me! 😀

Reply 77 of 4600, by happycube

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Indrid Cold wrote:

Today, while walking with my girlfriend, I came across these beautiful finds, instantly saved from the road and brought in my garage/lab, HP Server ProLiant ML350 G6 & IBM xSeries 206 workstation - this is the first time I find in the dumpster professional servers:

I dunno what's worse of the first owner to do, dumping that ML350 G6 or ordering it with only one CPU in the first place. 😉 If you can make it work that's pretty awesome (even with only one CPU), you can use it as a 1st gen i7 workstation 😀

Reply 78 of 4600, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
happycube wrote:
Indrid Cold wrote:

I dunno what's worse of the first owner to do, dumping that ML350 G6 or ordering it with only one CPU in the first place. 😉 If you can make it work that's pretty awesome (even with only one CPU), you can use it as a 1st gen i7 workstation 😀

Do you have any proposed configuration for this server? I think I'll keep mono-CPU only, to minimize energy consumption and to not buy a bigger / dual redundant PSU (the one I've ordered is the cheapest one, 460w). On monday I'll receive this PSU, to finally test if everything is really alright with this 'little' monster. I've a Xeon X5450 CPU in lab, maybe I'll test if it works with this machine.