VOGONS

Reply 1800 of 4609, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It has onboard Crystal Audio with a small board that plugs into a proprietary slot to give output on the back and for some reason it also has a Soundblaster. I'm guessing the SB is for CD audio? Not sure honestly.

Also sadly the HDD seems to be dying. Throwing read errors.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1803 of 4609, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Half-Saint wrote:

I found a 5.25" floppy drive but it's giving me a General failure reading drive A:

Tried cleaning the heads and rails, no dice.

You think you have 5¼" drive problems? Let me tell you about 5¼" drive problems. Picked up a huge stash of Tandy gear at a garage sale that sat for 35 years in a humid Florida garage.

tandy_drive.jpg
Filename
tandy_drive.jpg
File size
1.54 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1804 of 4609, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

Did you configure your BIOS first? Also it should be B: for 5.25" drives

5.25” = A: forever!! 😜

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 1805 of 4609, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My BIOS has that handy option to swap floppies, so I set them as needed depending on what I'm doing.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 1806 of 4609, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

My BIOS has that handy option to swap floppies, so I set them as needed depending on what I'm doing.

Admittedly, I do the same thing.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 1807 of 4609, by mongaccio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
liqmat wrote:
Half-Saint wrote:

I found a 5.25" floppy drive but it's giving me a General failure reading drive A:

You think you have 5¼" drive problems? Let me tell you about 5¼" drive problems. Picked up a huge stash of Tandy gear at a garage sale that sat for 35 years in a humid Florida garage.

tandy_drive.jpg

wow
YOU CAN DO IT! I wish you luck,that's the challenge i do like.
Crusty pcb traces, rotten IC's. That's a real challenge, i know, but it's worth trying.

Reply 1808 of 4609, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mongaccio wrote:
wow YOU CAN DO IT! I wish you luck,that's the challenge i do like. Crusty pcb traces, rotten IC's. That's a real challenge, i […]
Show full quote
liqmat wrote:
Half-Saint wrote:

tandy_drive.jpg

wow
YOU CAN DO IT! I wish you luck,that's the challenge i do like.
Crusty pcb traces, rotten IC's. That's a real challenge, i know, but it's worth trying.

Actually, the Tandy loving folks over at vcfed may help take some of this off my hands. I really am stretched with projects as it is. I also got a really nice 486 VLB mobo and CPU in the same haul, but unfortunately the barrel battery took out too many traces with its lovely acid spit. Harvested the cache chips, CPU (AMD Am486 DX2-80) and jumpers.

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?626 … rage-sale-today

Reply 1809 of 4609, by mongaccio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well,Liqmat, im glad to hear you have some friends that can help you to save and repair your recently found hardware.
Those barrel batteries! I had a real fight with one of 'em, corroded a good half of my amiga 600 memory expansion module.

Reply 1810 of 4609, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mongaccio wrote:

Well,Liqmat, im glad to hear you have some friends that can help you to save and repair your recently found hardware.
Those barrel batteries! I had a real fight with one of 'em, corroded a good half of my amiga 600 memory expansion module.

Well, no takers yet. I think they are all still in shock how dirty the hardware is. 🤣 The manuals and docs are what I like about that haul. If no one wants any of it I will probably start restoring some of it and then get it into the right hands. Just couldn't let it all be thrown away.

The corroded 486 motherboard lives on in spirit through its parts.

moboparts.JPG
Filename
moboparts.JPG
File size
1.76 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by liqmat on 2020-07-12, 14:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1811 of 4609, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have never seen a computer with two sound cards in it. Would two sound cards even work at the same time? It seems like they would conflict, unless one is disabled?

Reply 1812 of 4609, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tegrady wrote:

I have never seen a computer with two sound cards in it. Would two sound cards even work at the same time? It seems like they would conflict, unless one is disabled?

Seemed like it would have started fine, the top sound card is just a breakout for ports the soundchip is actually on the mobo. However the HDD was dying so we will never know. 🤣 I've already stripped it for parts.

Reply 1813 of 4609, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can tweak their configuration to have both of them fully working.

Depending of your machine, you can even have three, four, five cards ...

At the moment I have a am5x86 with SB16 + Gravis Ultrasound MAX and also a PII 450MHz with Aureal 3D + sound blaster AWE 64 value (and I'm planning to add one more) and they work well.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 1814 of 4609, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I attempted to use my SB16 and Media Vision Pro Audio Studio 16 at the same time in my Packard Bell to no avail (would work, but stops after a second test) due to resource conflicts.

I did use an ESS Maestro-2 ES1968S (Diamond Multimedia Sonic Impact S70) PCI and Sound Blaster 16 WavEffects CT4170 in a high-end 486 build I did years ago in both MS-DOS mode and Windows 98SE (worked easily and I used the Sound Blaster 16 as the main sound card).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1815 of 4609, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found a few more freebies today!

First up: The biggest fucking monitor in the universe!

It's a Sun Microsystems GDM-90W10 24" Widescreen Monitor!!! I grabbed it at first thinking of reselling it but on closer inspection (and a hernia later) I noticed it did VGA input in addition to the usual SUN connector. 😁

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc6d6jm.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc6esje.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc6esj5.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc6esip.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc6esi1.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc6esh9.jpg

A White Alps mechanical keyboard! Programmable too!

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc6erur.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc6eru6.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc6ertj.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc6ert1.jpg

YUCK needs cleaning!

A Blue Alps keyboard! This one is AT/XT switchable and obviously a bit older.

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc6ermz.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc6erm7.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc6erlf.jpg

And that's it for today! Now I'm gonna go play Starcraft on my FUCKING GIANT MONITOR. 🤣

Reply 1816 of 4609, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice find, nothing like having a (formerly-) multi-thousand-dollar workstation monitor on your desk! I've been using a 21" Mitsubishi DiamondPro as the main head on my office workstation for a couple years now, but yours is even beastlier than that.

Weird that it says 13w3 on the back panel but doesn't have a 13w3 input. Cutting corners and re-using plastic I see. 😉 What's the actual aspect ratio of that one? It doesn't quite look like 16x10, more like 16x11? Was that a thing??

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1817 of 4609, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No the cable coming out of the back is the 13w3. Also not sure about aspect ratio, it seems to be something between our modern widescreen and ordinary 4:3.
Here's a spec sheet I found on it: http://shrubbery.net/~heas/sun-feh-2_1/Device … remium_CRT.html

Reply 1818 of 4609, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
King_Corduroy wrote:
Found a few more freebies today! […]
Show full quote

Found a few more freebies today!

First up: The biggest fucking monitor in the universe!

It's a Sun Microsystems GDM-90W10 24" Widescreen Monitor!!! I grabbed it at first thinking of reselling it but on closer inspection (and a hernia later) I noticed it did VGA input in addition to the usual SUN connector. 😁

[...]

And that's it for today! Now I'm gonna go play Starcraft on my FUCKING GIANT MONITOR. 🤣

Ah, the beast!

45kg of 16:9 goodness. I had one for years but eventually decided that I needed more room in my little apartment. I swapped it for a 2.5" HDD. Most extreme size discrepancy between items I think I ever exchanged 😉

Reply 1819 of 4609, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc6h0is.jpg

I still can't wrap my brain around how massive this thing is... 🤣