I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

Postby oeuvre » 2017-9-30 @ 13:34

Lot of 3 ThinkPads on ebay, the listing said they were for parts and 2 of them did not turn on.

They all work, just needed some pieces like HD caddies, hard drives, power adapters and batteries. I had some leftoeuvre adapters anyways.

IBM ThinkPad T43 15" XGA, 1.83GHz 2GB RAM in very good cosmetic shape. Sold it to someone on ThinkPad forums.

Lenovo ThinkPad T60p 15" 1600x1200 (!!!) 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, plopped in a spare 80GB hard drive. Did a frankenpad swap with a 14.1" T61 4:3 and it works great. Just needs an HD caddy but I was able to put my SSD in there. Good shape

Lenovo ThinkPad T61 14.1" widescreen 1440x900 T7300 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 80GB hard drive. Just needs a new battery. Great condition
IBM ThinkPad 770
HP EliteBook 820 G2
i7 6700K, 32GB, NVIDIA GTX770, 256GB M.2 SSD + HD, Windows 10
Image
User avatar
oeuvre
Oldbie
 
Posts: 764
Joined: 2015-3-31 @ 13:31
Location: USA

Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

Postby TheAbandonwareGuy » 2017-10-01 @ 01:01

oeuvre wrote:Lot of 3 ThinkPads on ebay, the listing said they were for parts and 2 of them did not turn on.

They all work, just needed some pieces like HD caddies, hard drives, power adapters and batteries. I had some leftoeuvre adapters anyways.

IBM ThinkPad T43 15" XGA, 1.83GHz 2GB RAM in very good cosmetic shape. Sold it to someone on ThinkPad forums.

Lenovo ThinkPad T60p 15" 1600x1200 (!!!) 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, plopped in a spare 80GB hard drive. Did a frankenpad swap with a 14.1" T61 4:3 and it works great. Just needs an HD caddy but I was able to put my SSD in there. Good shape

Lenovo ThinkPad T61 14.1" widescreen 1440x900 T7300 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 80GB hard drive. Just needs a new battery. Great condition


You downgraded the rare 1600x1200 screen option T61p........
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuFY6Z ... 2tV8b00x_A
1996|P200MMX|64MB EDO|Virge DX 4MB|SB16 OPL3
1999|P3 933|384MB SDR|GF256 SDR 32MB|CT4620
User avatar
TheAbandonwareGuy
Oldbie
 
Posts: 965
Joined: 2016-3-01 @ 02:09
Location: Southern Illinois, United States of America

Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

Postby KCompRoom2000 » 2017-10-01 @ 07:37

JidaiGeki wrote:Found two 775 machines, one with a Pentium D 820 and Quadro FX1300 (PCIE) and the other with a Q9450 and Quadro FX3700. Both with Intel desktop boards and identical full size cases, and full RAM slots, though not likely to the boards' maximum capacities. PSUs are FortuneTec, are they any good? Interesting that they both had Quadros, suggesting some sort of video work maybe? Guess now socket 775 is mainstream trash.

Stop making me feel poor. :neutral:
Win3.x:SL-54U5|P233MMX|64MB|Virge325|CT4170
Win95:P2B-VE|C433|192MB|Rage Pro|CT4500
Win98-2K:GX150MT|P3-1000|512MB|Radeon7200|CT4670
WinXP:A8V|A64 3200+|2GB|RadeonX800
User avatar
KCompRoom2000
Member
 
Posts: 179
Joined: 2017-5-24 @ 22:38
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

Postby Rawrl » 2017-10-01 @ 09:59

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
oeuvre wrote:Lot of 3 ThinkPads on ebay, the listing said they were for parts and 2 of them did not turn on.

They all work, just needed some pieces like HD caddies, hard drives, power adapters and batteries. I had some leftoeuvre adapters anyways.

IBM ThinkPad T43 15" XGA, 1.83GHz 2GB RAM in very good cosmetic shape. Sold it to someone on ThinkPad forums.

Lenovo ThinkPad T60p 15" 1600x1200 (!!!) 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, plopped in a spare 80GB hard drive. Did a frankenpad swap with a 14.1" T61 4:3 and it works great. Just needs an HD caddy but I was able to put my SSD in there. Good shape

Lenovo ThinkPad T61 14.1" widescreen 1440x900 T7300 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 80GB hard drive. Just needs a new battery. Great condition


You downgraded the rare 1600x1200 screen option T61p........


No, it's the other way around. T61 4:3 board/cooler in a 15" T60P.
If you get one with a revised GPU and use the undervolting BIOS, it's about the best you can do as far as an IPS Thinkpad.
Rawrl
Newbie
 
Posts: 91
Joined: 2014-2-10 @ 07:20

Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

Postby TheAbandonwareGuy » 2017-10-01 @ 11:34

Rawrl wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
oeuvre wrote:Lot of 3 ThinkPads on ebay, the listing said they were for parts and 2 of them did not turn on.

They all work, just needed some pieces like HD caddies, hard drives, power adapters and batteries. I had some leftoeuvre adapters anyways.

IBM ThinkPad T43 15" XGA, 1.83GHz 2GB RAM in very good cosmetic shape. Sold it to someone on ThinkPad forums.

Lenovo ThinkPad T60p 15" 1600x1200 (!!!) 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, plopped in a spare 80GB hard drive. Did a frankenpad swap with a 14.1" T61 4:3 and it works great. Just needs an HD caddy but I was able to put my SSD in there. Good shape

Lenovo ThinkPad T61 14.1" widescreen 1440x900 T7300 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 80GB hard drive. Just needs a new battery. Great condition


You downgraded the rare 1600x1200 screen option T61p........


No, it's the other way around. T61 4:3 board/cooler in a 15" T60P.
If you get one with a revised GPU and use the undervolting BIOS, it's about the best you can do as far as an IPS Thinkpad.


You might put the T61p guts in a cheaper Thinkpad if they work. The T61p has the FirePro equivalent of the X1700 Mobility and that's not a card to be laughed at. It can run the Radeon drivers via device ID modding. I assume it trades blows with the Mobility 9800 Pro in my XPS but with a real 4:3 screen. Ive been after one for a while myself but everybody wants hundreds of dollars for them. If you don't use those internals for something let me know and I might be able to throw some cash/laptop parts your way for them.

I'm actually curious since now that I think about it you actually downgraded the machine graphically. The non Profit T60 has like X300 or X600 graphics.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuFY6Z ... 2tV8b00x_A
1996|P200MMX|64MB EDO|Virge DX 4MB|SB16 OPL3
1999|P3 933|384MB SDR|GF256 SDR 32MB|CT4620
User avatar
TheAbandonwareGuy
Oldbie
 
Posts: 965
Joined: 2016-3-01 @ 02:09
Location: Southern Illinois, United States of America

Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

Postby JidaiGeki » 2017-10-01 @ 13:04

KCompRoom2000 wrote:
JidaiGeki wrote:Found two 775 machines, one with a Pentium D 820 and Quadro FX1300 (PCIE) and the other with a Q9450 and Quadro FX3700. Both with Intel desktop boards and identical full size cases, and full RAM slots, though not likely to the boards' maximum capacities. PSUs are FortuneTec, are they any good? Interesting that they both had Quadros, suggesting some sort of video work maybe? Guess now socket 775 is mainstream trash.

Stop making me feel poor. :neutral:


Sorry mate :depressed: I wouldn't be chucking out 775 machines either, my newest desktop is a QX9650! A friend here on vogons found a much more awesome and newer setup on the roadside at his old place, so I'll have to visit where he lived more often! :lol:

Anyway, here's some more info about the two towers ...

2towers.jpg


Pentium D 820 & Quadro FX1300 are on an Intel D945GNT board. PSU is an FSP400-60THN. Thinking of reducing the RAM and trying it out as an overkill Win98 machine? Previously did this on an Asrock 775 board with a 7800GS PCI-E, but that was unstable.

Q9450 & FX3700 are on an Intel DX48BT2, with 8GB DDR3, PSU is AX500-A with Active PFC, so could be a decent setup if it's all working. A quick read of a review of the board says it can't run 1600MHz RAM, but that's not a big problem for me. Wonder how it will go with Crossfire and a QX9770 in it (probably not a short term plan). Has a Vista Ultimate OEM key too ...

q9450.jpg
JidaiGeki
Member
 
Posts: 290
Joined: 2010-12-22 @ 14:11

Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

Postby oeuvre » 2017-10-01 @ 13:10

4:3 T61ps are incredibly rare so that would be hard to acquire.
IBM ThinkPad 770
HP EliteBook 820 G2
i7 6700K, 32GB, NVIDIA GTX770, 256GB M.2 SSD + HD, Windows 10
Image
User avatar
oeuvre
Oldbie
 
Posts: 764
Joined: 2015-3-31 @ 13:31
Location: USA

Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

Postby Rawrl » 2017-10-01 @ 19:22

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:You might put the T61p guts in a cheaper Thinkpad if they work. The T61p has the FirePro equivalent of the X1700 Mobility and that's not a card to be laughed at. It can run the Radeon drivers via device ID modding. I assume it trades blows with the Mobility 9800 Pro in my XPS but with a real 4:3 screen. Ive been after one for a while myself but everybody wants hundreds of dollars for them. If you don't use those internals for something let me know and I might be able to throw some cash/laptop parts your way for them.

I'm actually curious since now that I think about it you actually downgraded the machine graphically. The non Profit T60 has like X300 or X600 graphics.


You're confusing them.
The T60p, the shell, is a Socket M system. Merom only, 667FSB, 945 chipset thus a ~3GB RAM ceiling, and the FireGL. The T61, the board donor, is from the subsequent generation. It has Socket P, 800FSB, it'll take Penryns with the right BIOS, it maxes out at 8GB, and they came with Intel graphics or various flavors of G84M and G86M Quadro. The T61p is the same as the regular T61 except it had a Quadro FX 570M. There never were any 15" 4:3 T61s, hence the need for a swap.

I agree the NVS 140M might not be the most powerful GPU, but as oeuvre mentioned 4:3 T61ps are rare as hen's teeth. That and the FX570M is a furnace, even if you get one without the defect and undervolt it. The NVS is probably the better choice.
Rawrl
Newbie
 
Posts: 91
Joined: 2014-2-10 @ 07:20

Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

Postby stoof » 2017-10-02 @ 21:12

Just found one of these:

Image

Which is an Atmel STK500, a development/testing/prototyping system for Atmel AVR microcontrollers.

I guess anything you'd be able to achieve with this board is done easier with an Arduino, but if I ever feel like programming microcontrollers like it's 1999, I can. :cool:
User avatar
stoof
Newbie
 
Posts: 51
Joined: 2015-6-23 @ 19:46

Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

Postby Standard Def Steve » 2017-10-04 @ 19:41

Image
I got this lovely Deskpro EN SFF from a friend who was about to recycle it.

This tiny computer houses a slot 1 CPU, but to save space Compaq flush mounted it. At first glance, it kind of looks like a Threadripper-sized socketed CPU with a passive heatsink on top.

It works great, and the original CD and floppy drives even sound healthy. It's 440BX based, has a 600MHz PIII, 384MB of RAM, 20GB hard drive, 4MB ATI Rage Pro Turbo built into the motherboard, and a really nice sounding integrated speaker. Far better than the speaker in my much newer Optiplex 780 USFF.

I was a little surprised to find a 4MB Rage Pro. That's extremely weak for a PIII, even in a corporate box like this. It managed to run 3DMark99, but not much else. Quake III was slow and didn't look right, probably due to the 4MB frame buffer. The i815 IGP in my slightly newer Deskpro EN SFF is much faster and, thanks to being able to allocate up to 32MB of RAM for video, can properly display Q3A, 3DMark2000, and even 3DMark01. I've always been fond of PII/PIII era Deskpros, so it's nice to have a second one around.

Bing....dun dun dun dun!
Image
Standard Def Steve
Oldbie
 
Posts: 810
Joined: 2012-9-15 @ 08:04

Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

Postby mongaccio » 2017-10-05 @ 17:54

Vaguely hardware related, but still:

I was looking in my garage for my 30 year old Duplo toys,decided to to give 'em to my lil'nephew.

Well, i found 'em in a really vintage DEC cotton bag, God only knows where my parents got that in the early '80. Maybe my uncle, that was working for Olivetti / SGS ?? who knows

I think i'll keep the bag, still looks so nice

IMG_20171005_192714.jpg
mongaccio
Newbie
 
Posts: 38
Joined: 2016-5-09 @ 21:59
Location: Italy

Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

Postby elod » 2017-10-05 @ 18:58

Standard Def Steve wrote:I got this lovely Deskpro EN SFF from a friend who was about to recycle it.



It should also have an ESS 16xx sound chip + ISA. The PSU is pretty weak, but well built.
elod
Member
 
Posts: 214
Joined: 2016-5-17 @ 19:01
Location: Timisoara, Romania

Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

Postby aop » 2017-10-05 @ 20:52

Found this while going through electronics trash at my university:
Image

Full res:
https://i.imgur.com/vJ3ED0h.jpg

Too bad I don't have a CPU to test it with. The BIOS battery is most likely dead since it's one of those dreaded integrated batteries.
aop
Newbie
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 2017-9-27 @ 19:17

Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

Postby mongaccio » 2017-10-07 @ 13:48

aop wrote:Found this while going through electronics trash at my university:
Too bad I don't have a CPU to test it with. The BIOS battery is most likely dead since it's one of those dreaded integrated batteries.


I like that motherboard,nice 'rescue'!
I'm wondering what's the purpose of those 4 empty plcc sockets on the right,just above the cpu socket.
I mean, on the upper right i can already see 8 chips that look like 2nd level cache (486 style) . Maybe additional cache? Or faster?

Well, the battery integrated chip is dead, and they are annoying to dremel/modify, but think positive, no leaked acid all over the motherboard!
mongaccio
Newbie
 
Posts: 38
Joined: 2016-5-09 @ 21:59
Location: Italy

Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

Postby BastlerMike » 2017-10-07 @ 14:39

The PLCC sockets are intended for burst SRAM upgrades. I have a Coast module with that type of memory
Attachments
20171007_163654.jpg
User avatar
BastlerMike
Member
 
Posts: 175
Joined: 2010-10-11 @ 15:53

Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

Postby alvaro84 » 2017-10-07 @ 16:08

aop wrote:Found this while going through electronics trash at my university:


Beautiful board! My Socket 4 one is in a far worse shape. And I was happy to find any that works. These more exotic sockets are extremely rare in our scrap.

Those PLCC sockets look just like the ones on a Tseng ET6000 VGA - though I'm quite sure they aren't for video RAM, mongaccio and BastlerMike must be right.
Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts
User avatar
alvaro84
Newbie
 
Posts: 75
Joined: 2007-5-24 @ 05:04
Location: Fehérvárcsurgó, Hungary

Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

Postby cliffclaven » 2017-10-09 @ 20:05

I recently pulled a nondescript P4 out of a dumpster and found this inside:

Image
User avatar
cliffclaven
Newbie
 
Posts: 73
Joined: 2017-4-10 @ 18:50

Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

Postby CkRtech » 2017-10-09 @ 22:24

cliffclaven wrote:I recently pulled a nondescript P4 out of a dumpster and found this inside:

Was there a little breakout module in there with it?
User avatar
CkRtech
Member
 
Posts: 386
Joined: 2014-8-23 @ 00:54
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

Postby Tetrium » 2017-10-09 @ 23:39

cliffclaven wrote:I recently pulled a nondescript P4 out of a dumpster and found this inside:

Image

Instantly reminded me of a sound card I gotten a while ago, though mine has a different name, it looks very similar from what I can recall.

I written a bit about it here

Mine was inside a rig I bought at a thrift store and it came with the adapter. I never tried it out though, it was basically a "by product" lol
CkRtech wrote:
cliffclaven wrote:I recently pulled a nondescript P4 out of a dumpster and found this inside:

Was there a little breakout module in there with it?

Mine had the breakout module. I remember vividly as it had to be unscrewed to get the sound card out of the system it was in when I got it.
User avatar
Tetrium
l33t++
 
Posts: 7414
Joined: 2010-1-27 @ 18:53
Location: Netherlands

Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

Postby cliffclaven » 2017-10-10 @ 01:59

CkRtech wrote:
cliffclaven wrote:I recently pulled a nondescript P4 out of a dumpster and found this inside:

Was there a little breakout module in there with it?


No, that was all.
User avatar
cliffclaven
Newbie
 
Posts: 73
Joined: 2017-4-10 @ 18:50

PreviousNext

Return to General Old Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: firage and 7 guests