VOGONS

Reply 920 of 4609, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SaxxonPike wrote:

We rescued a PVM-20M4U. These displays are pretty remarkable for retro gaming. Incredibly crisp.

Amazing. I wish I could rescue one too 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 921 of 4609, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
In short: No fucking way Way too much wattage with that dual GPU monster and that CPU. That's a pathetic amperage. My 500 Watt E […]
Show full quote
brassicGamer wrote:

Retrieved from a PC being chucked out, which apparently has never been used - the fans and the heatsink are clean as a whistle!

FSP400-60GHN. 17A and 15A on the 12V rails so not that impressive really, especially considering it's got 2x 6+2 PCI-e power connectors and 2x CPU connectors. I wonder if it could run a Phenom X6 with a 4850x2? Plus a silent Coolermaster S775 HSF. Not pictured: Core 2 Duo E8300 from the same PC.

20170511_153356-1600x900.jpg

In short:
No fucking way
Way too much wattage with that dual GPU monster and that CPU. That's a pathetic amperage. My 500 Watt EVGA has 50 amps on the
12v rails and it struggles with a lesser load (E8400, 9800GX2, 4 Hard drives, 2 disk drives). Also doesn't the 4850x2 need a 6+8 pin connection?

Just an FYI. The official specs for the HD 4850x2 says 250 watts power max, and the slowest Phenom II x6 is 95W, while the fastest one can be up to 125W. So you're looking at 345W minimum up to 375W max just for the cpu and gpu alone. And like abandonware guy said have to factor in case fans (likely 10-20 watts each) and hard drives and optical drives. You -might- could get by with a 500W unit, but that 400W you have there won't cut it. It would just trip OCP (over-current protection) and shut off the computer the second you tried to engage a game using both gpu cores. For a setup like that I'd strongly recommend a modern 80+ gold unit @ minimum 600 watts to be safe (you want it about +10% over your intended load) and would probably set it up with a 700-750 if it was me.

Reply 922 of 4609, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
In short: No fucking way Way too much wattage with that dual GPU monster and that CPU. That's a pathetic amperage. My 500 Watt E […]
Show full quote
brassicGamer wrote:

Retrieved from a PC being chucked out, which apparently has never been used - the fans and the heatsink are clean as a whistle!

FSP400-60GHN. 17A and 15A on the 12V rails so not that impressive really, especially considering it's got 2x 6+2 PCI-e power connectors and 2x CPU connectors. I wonder if it could run a Phenom X6 with a 4850x2? Plus a silent Coolermaster S775 HSF. Not pictured: Core 2 Duo E8300 from the same PC.

20170511_153356-1600x900.jpg

In short:
No fucking way
Way too much wattage with that dual GPU monster and that CPU. That's a pathetic amperage. My 500 Watt EVGA has 50 amps on the
12v rails and it struggles with a lesser load (E8400, 9800GX2, 4 Hard drives, 2 disk drives). Also doesn't the 4850x2 need a 6+8 pin connection?

Just an FYI. The official specs for the HD 4850x2 says 250 watts power max, and the slowest Phenom II x6 is 95W, while the fastest one can be up to 125W. So you're looking at 345W minimum up to 375W max just for the cpu and gpu alone. And like abandonware guy said have to factor in case fans (likely 10-20 watts each) and hard drives and optical drives. You -might- could get by with a 500W unit, but that 400W you have there won't cut it. It would just trip OCP (over-current protection) and shut off the computer the second you tried to engage a game using both gpu cores. For a setup like that I'd strongly recommend a modern 80+ gold unit @ minimum 600 watts to be safe (you want it about +10% over your intended load) and would probably set it up with a 700-750 if it was me.

Thanks for the advice, dudes, but I was mostly being sarcastic. 😀 I got myself a 750W PSU last month specifically for the Phenom Crossfire project - this PSU only caught my eye because it's now the 2nd best one I have thanks to its capabilities. It just amused me how it is actually 8+6 capable but clearly would never be able to handle that!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 923 of 4609, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Show full quote

In short:
No fucking way

Not that I disagree with the other things here, but how does a 500 watt PSU have 600 watt output from its 12v line?

8zszli-6.png

Reply 924 of 4609, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Aideka wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Show full quote

In short:
No fucking way

Not that I disagree with the other things here, but how does a 500 watt PSU have 600 watt output from its 12v line?

It doesn't and can't. And some inferior power supplies can't even deliver the power on their sticker either. Like for example I have a CoolMax 600-watt here. But it can't actually deliver more than 400 watts, and I'd never risk it in any of my important systems.. it's just for like powering a random hard drive or some fans or a spare water pump during rebuilding water systems, etc.

Reply 925 of 4609, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked this Dell Precision 330 up from my school (not the actual photo of the unit, but similar) as they were in the process of throwing it out. It was originally running Windows Server 2003, which I removed and installed Server 2000 in its place. While the power supply unit appears to be in good shape, I am considering purchasing an ATX to Dell adapter and replacing it with my Antec 500w just in case. I may also upgrade the RAM to 1GB, and swap out the Radeon Ultra with a 3d Labs Wildcat II 5000.

Specs:
Pentium 4 1.4GHz (Socket 423)
512MB RAMBUS (4x128MB)
CD-ROM or CD-RW?
1.44MB Floppy
100MB Zip Drive
3x 18.2GB Seagate Cheetah (LV SCSI)
ATI Radeon Ultra

Attachments

Reply 926 of 4609, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Brickpad wrote:

I am considering purchasing an ATX to Dell adapter and replacing it with my Antec 500w just in case. I may also upgrade the RAM to 1GB, and swap out the Radeon Ultra with a 3d Labs Wildcat II 5000.

I'm not 100% sure but I think Dell had moved over to standard ATX by then. it was mostly P2/P3 era stuff that was affected

Reply 927 of 4609, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote:
Brickpad wrote:

I am considering purchasing an ATX to Dell adapter and replacing it with my Antec 500w just in case. I may also upgrade the RAM to 1GB, and swap out the Radeon Ultra with a 3d Labs Wildcat II 5000.

I'm not 100% sure but I think Dell had moved over to standard ATX by then. it was mostly P2/P3 era stuff that was affected

I own a Pentium4 era dell optiplex system and one time pulled the ATX plug to stick it in a ATX tester and it would not come on. But plugged it back in the motherboard and it comes on fine. I think the wires in it's "ATX Plug" are different wiring than standard atx plugs. I don't know when they switched over but.. something to think about. I would suggest pulling the ATX plug on your dell system and holding it to a normal PC power supply and just verify all the correct wires are in the same place on both before sticking something in your dell if it was me.

Reply 928 of 4609, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:
Brickpad wrote:

some early P4 Dells still used propietary PSUs like the Dimension 8100 and the Precision 330

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 929 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Brickpad wrote:
Picked this Dell Precision 330 up from my school (not the actual photo of the unit, but similar) as they were in the process of […]
Show full quote

Picked this Dell Precision 330 up from my school (not the actual photo of the unit, but similar) as they were in the process of throwing it out. It was originally running Windows Server 2003, which I removed and installed Server 2000 in its place. While the power supply unit appears to be in good shape, I am considering purchasing an ATX to Dell adapter and replacing it with my Antec 500w just in case. I may also upgrade the RAM to 1GB, and swap out the Radeon Ultra with a 3d Labs Wildcat II 5000.

Specs:
512MB RAMBUS (4x128MB)
CD-ROM or CD-RW?
1.44MB Floppy
100MB Zip Drive
ATI Radeon Ultra

ATI Radeon Ultra? Could you post pictures of the card? Ive never heard of this. I'm guessing some sort of Dell OEM Radeon DDR?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 930 of 4609, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Brickpad wrote:
Picked this Dell Precision 330 up from my school (not the actual photo of the unit, but similar) as they were in the process of […]
Show full quote

Specs:
512MB RAMBUS (4x128MB)
CD-ROM or CD-RW?
1.44MB Floppy
100MB Zip Drive
ATI Radeon Ultra

ATI Radeon Ultra? Could you post pictures of the card? Ive never heard of this. I'm guessing some sort of Dell OEM Radeon DDR?

Acording to the Dell drivers download page, it seems all stock cards listed are:
Geforce 2 GTS
3D Labs Wildcat II 5110
Matrox G450
TNT2 Pro
ATI Radeon VE
ATI/S3/Diamond Fire GL2
Quadro2 Pro

There are also chances the card got replaced in the past

Reply 931 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Carlos S. M. wrote:
Acording to the Dell drivers download page, it seems all stock cards listed are: Geforce 2 GTS 3D Labs Wildcat II 5110 Matrox G4 […]
Show full quote
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Brickpad wrote:
Show full quote

Specs:
512MB RAMBUS (4x128MB)
CD-ROM or CD-RW?
1.44MB Floppy
100MB Zip Drive
ATI Radeon Ultra

Acording to the Dell drivers download page, it seems all stock cards listed are:
Geforce 2 GTS
3D Labs Wildcat II 5110
Matrox G450
TNT2 Pro
ATI Radeon VE
ATI/S3/Diamond Fire GL2
Quadro2 Pro

There are also chances the card got replaced in the past

That just makes me even more curious about what that card is?

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 932 of 4609, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe there was a Rage Ultra which I think the poster may have mixed up with Radeon Ultra? However a Rage Ultra card in a P4 system? Unlikely..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 933 of 4609, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

I believe there was a Rage Ultra which I think the poster may have mixed up with Radeon Ultra? However a Rage Ultra card in a P4 system? Unlikely..

There are, ATI Rage 128 Pro Ultra, is a OEM version (although Sapphire also sold a Rage 128 Pro Ultra card as well) of the Rage 128 Pro as low end card in late P3 era and P4 era, it was found mainly in Dell DImension and Optiplex series

Specs:
Core clock: 130 mhz
Memory clock: 130 mhz
Memory bus width: 64 or 128 bit depending of the card

Dell models which probably featured the ATI Rage 128 Pro Ultra as i know:
Dell Optiplex GX150 (Optional card as alternative to the onboard video)
Dell Optiplex GX240 (probably standard videocard since it lacked onboard video)
Dell Optiplex GX400 (probably standard videocard since it lacked onboard video)
Dell Dimension 4200
Dell Dimension 4300
Dell Dimension 4400
Dell Dimension 4500
Dell Dimension 4550
Dell Dimension 8200

Reply 934 of 4609, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I mixed it up. It's been a long day. The card is in fact a Rage 128 Ultra, and I replaced what was a GeForce 2. The silkscreening on the underside of the card is placed in a spot that distorts the lettering, and I misread it as "Radeon" not "Rage 128" (trust me, it's scrambled by the through-holes that at first glance it looks like RADEON). The fan was locked up pretty tight, so I swapped the cards with one that was laying around in the classroom, which happened to be the Rage 128 Ultra. The power supply is for sure Dell proprietary, judging by the arrangement of the wires.

Reply 935 of 4609, by kiwa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yesterday i found a wyse vx0 thinclient

I mainly pick this things for the DOM, but i want to see what i can do with this thing.

tmp_10260-IMG_20170514_003041313913840.jpg
Filename
tmp_10260-IMG_20170514_003041313913840.jpg
File size
940.6 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 937 of 4609, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
candle_86 wrote:

256mb Thumb Drive still in working order

I still have a 128MB from years ago that I use as a DOS 6.22 USB boot. For running SpinRite and flashing BIOSes. 😉

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 938 of 4609, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Home shopping - found this in the basement. It was a Christmas present back in the 90s for my Nintendo 64 except... it wasn't for the N64 (despite the logo)... I didn't know what it was (gameport) supposed to be for at the time and it ended up getting stashed away, unused. I'm going to test it out now and hope it works without drivers because I don't have any.

iKSAgc4.jpg?1

Reply 939 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
infiniteclouds wrote:
Home shopping - found this in the basement. It was a Christmas present back in the 90s for my Nintendo 64 except... it wasn't fo […]
Show full quote

Home shopping - found this in the basement. It was a Christmas present back in the 90s for my Nintendo 64 except... it wasn't for the N64 (despite the logo)... I didn't know what it was (gameport) supposed to be for at the time and it ended up getting stashed away, unused. I'm going to test it out now and hope it works without drivers because I don't have any.

iKSAgc4.jpg?1

What the hell? How did something like that even get sold, hell even patented, without Nintendo hitting them with a corporate sized law suit?