VOGONS

Reply 140 of 4609, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:
Stopped *twice* on the way home to rescue some stuff from the side of the road today. The highlights: […]
Show full quote

Stopped *twice* on the way home to rescue some stuff from the side of the road today. The highlights:

• A P2/300 on a Seanix Kootenay SEA440LX board with an AGP 4MB S3 Trio64V, two Dawning 530MPC-S ISA cards (some kind of serial card for interfacing with medical gear(??)) & two 3.2GB drives running an incredibly broken install of Win98 ("loads" to a crashed Active Desktop.)
• A K62/550 on a QDI Legend with an ISA ESS Audiodrive & AGP Rage II, also running a working-ish Win98 on a 4.3GB drive. Has an incredibly obnoxious ad for a computer shop in Winnipeg(!) as its full-screen BIOS boot logo. Came with eGames MiniCar Racing installed which was fun for 20 seconds and then it crashed and brought the whole thing down with it. Its 250W PSU, on which is scrawled "somewhat noisy but works OK", is one of the quietest '90s PSUs I've ever heard. Both towers incredibly clean & nice shape considering they were probably sitting in someone's garage for however long.

• A couple of classic AT keyboards without "windows" keys (score!)
• An Adaptec APA-358 MiniSCSI EPP parallel-port SCSI interface (double score! If you're me and you like putting SCSI on odd systems.)
• A first-gen USB MicroTek scanner
• A sealed-in-package OEM(?) copy of Chessmaster 3000 (no box - the disks & manuals are just shrink wrapped together.)
• A few other odds and ends (mint Logitech USB mouse, brand-new-in-clamshell socket 478 cooler, bunch of CD-ROM drives, box of 3.5 HD floppies, etc.)

Not sure what to do with all this, the SCSI interface, keyboards & scanner I have some use for, the rest not really but I hate seeing things go to landfill. I might wipe the towers and set them up with FreeDOS + a bunch of shareware games and see if I can get a few bucks for them. If someone in the PNW wants either system for the cost of what I paid 😉 feel free to PM me on the VCF.

Edit:

haul.jpg

(^^ I opened the shrink wrap, sue me 😜 )

Which computer shop? I grew up in Manitoba. I'll see if I can remember them,

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 141 of 4609, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask an

Last edited by xjas on 2017-04-02, 18:01. Edited 1 time in total.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 142 of 4609, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those guys are still around. I actually used to live two blocks away from their shop a few years ago.

I think they're equipped to do some warranty work for Lenovo and HP, but I've never owned one of their white box systems. Certainly they're not the worst vendor that Winnipeg has ever had.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 143 of 4609, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well guys... I found another one.

bLPAQMzl.jpg

I swear, these PIII systems just won't stop appearing at the dump. Some of you might remember that, earlier this year, I found a Compaq Presario 5005SR. Now, meet its younger sibling, the 5008SR! Specs are almost identical to the 5005SR:

Y5eajy4l.jpg

The 5008SR's currently in pieces at the moment because it's drying out from experiencing a bit of rain from earlier today. I'll see if it works later on. Whoever threw this thing away was smart, since it didn't come with an HDD. Oddly enough, the drive rails were also missing, so the optical drives, floppy drive, and 3.5" bezel were floating loose in the case. I happened to have an extra set of drive rails from yet another Presario 5000 series system I used to have, so I used them with the drives for this system. Outside of the missing HDD and drive rails, the system was complete. That makes three of these things I currently have, the 5005SR/5008SR siblings and another one, currently in storage, that, IIRC, has a 1GHz/100MHz FSB PIII Coppermine. Reminds me of the time I used to have four or five of these, ranging from low-end Celerons to early P4 systems.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 144 of 4609, by Oldbitcollector

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Rescued one of these today (http://www.falconfly.de/identify/Voodoo3_2000_PCI.jpg)

Didn't realize it was a Voodoo3 until I looked it up tonight. A nice find for my little dual-CPU box without AGP. Not sure how I'm going to rig a cooling fan on this heatsink. I'm used to dealing with those fat heatsinks on the Voodoo3 AGP cards.

Reply 145 of 4609, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Man, when people get things in their head.....
Both Voodoo3 2000 and 3000 are 11 watts for the WHOLE card.
So long as they are heat-sinked an occasional fart in their general direction would provide enough daft.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 146 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Oldbitcollector wrote:

Rescued one of these today (http://www.falconfly.de/identify/Voodoo3_2000_PCI.jpg)

Didn't realize it was a Voodoo3 until I looked it up tonight. A nice find for my little dual-CPU box without AGP. Not sure how I'm going to rig a cooling fan on this heatsink. I'm used to dealing with those fat heatsinks on the Voodoo3 AGP cards.

How did you find that picture btw? Is there an index page from where these pics can be all viewed one by one?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 147 of 4609, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Oldbitcollector wrote:

How did you find that picture btw? Is there an index page from where these pics can be all viewed one by one?

Go here: http://www.falconfly.de/identify-3dfx.htm
To view one click on the little TV to the left.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 148 of 4609, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Luggable!

IMG_2137.jpg

Toshiba T3200SX. Fitted with 4mb ram, a modem in the expansion bay and a modem/ethernet combo card in one of the ISA slots. The 40 hard drive literally had nothing on it so I gave it a new format and dropped down DOS 6.22. Just need to replace the CMOS battery now.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 149 of 4609, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A good machine. There's just something awesome about seeing things on those orange gas plasma displays and the ability to move the machine around easily can only be a good thing.

I never did get around to replacing the battery in mine, but you've at least reminded me to add it to the list of things I need to fix after the move.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 151 of 4609, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CelGen wrote:

Toshiba T3200SX. Fitted with 4mb ram, a modem in the expansion bay and a modem/ethernet combo card in one of the ISA slots. The 40 hard drive literally had nothing on it so I gave it a new format and dropped down DOS 6.22. Just need to replace the CMOS battery now.

That's an awesome piece of kit right there. Reminds me I need to get my T1600 working.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 152 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
Oldbitcollector wrote:

Go here: http://www.falconfly.de/identify-3dfx.htm
To view one click on the little TV to the left.

Cheers! 😁

Dunno why I didn't notice these before 🤣.

Sutekh94 wrote:
Well guys... I found another one. […]
Show full quote

Well guys... I found another one.

bLPAQMzl.jpg

I swear, these PIII systems just won't stop appearing at the dump. Some of you might remember that, earlier this year, I found a Compaq Presario 5005SR. Now, meet its younger sibling, the 5008SR! Specs are almost identical to the 5005SR:

Y5eajy4l.jpg

The 5008SR's currently in pieces at the moment because it's drying out from experiencing a bit of rain from earlier today. I'll see if it works later on. Whoever threw this thing away was smart, since it didn't come with an HDD. Oddly enough, the drive rails were also missing, so the optical drives, floppy drive, and 3.5" bezel were floating loose in the case. I happened to have an extra set of drive rails from yet another Presario 5000 series system I used to have, so I used them with the drives for this system. Outside of the missing HDD and drive rails, the system was complete. That makes three of these things I currently have, the 5005SR/5008SR siblings and another one, currently in storage, that, IIRC, has a 1GHz/100MHz FSB PIII Coppermine. Reminds me of the time I used to have four or five of these, ranging from low-end Celerons to early P4 systems.

You gonna be keeping those cases? Personally I never really liked these, they were kinda cramped, the front panel connector was a single large plug which wouldn't fit any other board and the PSUs were quite minimal, or at least for the Compaq's I found. And airflow was rather poor.
But for some reasons I actually grew to quite like these Compaq boards, though they were mostly s7 and s370.

Report spammers here!

Reply 153 of 4609, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually wound up parting the 5008SR out and throwing the case back in the dump. I already have two other systems pretty much like it, so I decided to use it for its parts.

Reply 154 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sutekh94 wrote:

I actually wound up parting the 5008SR out and throwing the case back in the dump. I already have two other systems pretty much like it, so I decided to use it for its parts.

Did you remove the Windows product key sticker before you tossed the case? 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 155 of 4609, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CelGen wrote:

Luggable!

(image)

Looks to be in AWESOME condition! I have a T3200SX along with several of the other Toshiba plasma-screen portables (Trying to collect all of them), I love them! One thing to keep an eye on is the floppy drive. They're unfortunately notorious for failure in the 386-era Toshiba plasma portables. I already had to replace two of mine, which was frustrating because they're proprietary. Beyond that, these are awesome machines to have in any collection. 😊

Reply 156 of 4609, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Sutekh94 wrote:

Nope. If I remember right, the key was for Windows ME... 😵

Reply 157 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sutekh94 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
Sutekh94 wrote:

Nope. If I remember right, the key was for Windows ME... 😵

ME is actually pretty good. Used it on over 10 rigs and it was my main OS for years, learned to tweak it also for increased stability and increased responsiveness. ME is way more stable than 98FE ever was for me and I found it easier to install, partly due to it's native USB and ZIP support, along with a bit better out-of-the-box driver support.

It does has its flaws, but these never made me hate ME 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 158 of 4609, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

ME is actually pretty good. Used it on over 10 rigs and it was my main OS for years, learned to tweak it also for increased stability and increased responsiveness. ME is way more stable than 98FE ever was for me and I found it easier to install, partly due to it's native USB and ZIP support, along with a bit better out-of-the-box driver support.

It does has its flaws, but these never made me hate ME 😜

I actually don't mind ME as well. The few times I've used ME, I never had any major problems with it, and everything seemed pretty stable and responsive. However, I've always preferred 98SE because pure nostalgia and the fact that I don't have an ME disc. 😜

Reply 159 of 4609, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IIRC WinME was actually perfectly content on OEM systems originally shipped with it, and it was when trying to put it on older hardware meant for Win95 or Pre-SE Win98 that trouble would arise. My brother bought an HP Pavilion 7920 that shipped with ME, and per his recollection it was fine. Conversely, a friend of mine upgraded an older PII-266 from vanilla Win98 to WinME, and he was lucky to go more than a few hours before it would crap out. My own personal experience with actually using ME was on other people's OEM systems that originally shipped with it, and even then only a few hours at a time, and I don't recall any significant problems caused by Windows itself. I personally never owned a computer with WinME on it, after Win98 I upgraded to Windows 2000 for my systems.

Obviously, the "YMMV" mantra applies heavily here, just as it does with any OS on any hardware.