VOGONS

Reply 2540 of 4586, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Local ewaste place still has stuff piled outside by the sidewalk, so I stopped and had a look. And this is why.

l5o0L7N.jpg

6R4SmXG.jpg

It does have some nasty looking caps.

QQau71h.jpg

But it POSTs!

NfWoHQA.jpg

It has a GF4 MX440 video card. Look at the system specs in the reviews: https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce4-mx440-g4m … N82E16814127037

I might get ambitious and recap it.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2541 of 4586, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
liqmat wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

What I can tell from the photo is that the beak looks like a dong and I can't unsee it..

Would that be a Fladongo at that point?

Possibly. And it probably comes from a strip club. 🤣

Pfft, y'all are just super jealous of my majestic fladon... I mean flamingo.
Also, strip clubs aren't really a thing over here, so I'm not to worried about that. 😀

ANYWAYS, back on topic; the trash gods continue to smile upon me:

IBM-etc-1.JPG

This isn't all of it, just the more interesting stuff.

IBM 8540, all ISA, 386SX, so not the most exciting PS/2, but I'll take it. Unfortunately missing its front and top cover, and on the inside, someone has had their way with a pair of snip-snips. 😢
Nothing that can't be fixed though I think. Curiously, I did find BOTH original IBM-branded keys. How about that, huh.
What's cool though, is the 5.25 drive. Not all that common on PS/2's I think. And behind the bezel we find a slim form-factor and electronic eject:

IBM-etc-2.JPG

Oh, and dual HDDs. Cool beans.

Since it's in such an incomplete state, I'll probably part it out.

Reply 2542 of 4586, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stoof wrote:
...the trash gods continue to smile upon me: […]
Show full quote

...the trash gods continue to smile upon me:

IBM-etc-1.JPG

This isn't all of it, just the more interesting stuff.

IBM 8540, all ISA, 386SX, so not the most exciting PS/2, but I'll take it. Unfortunately missing its front and top cover, and on the inside, someone has had their way with a pair of snip-snips. 😢
Nothing that can't be fixed though I think. Curiously, I did find BOTH original IBM-branded keys. How about that, huh.
What's cool though, is the 5.25 drive. Not all that common on PS/2's I think. And behind the bezel we find a slim form-factor and electronic eject:

IBM-etc-2.JPG

Oh, and dual HDDs. Cool beans.

Since it's in such an incomplete state, I'll probably part it out.

Those would make great Fallout post-apocalyptic builds. I am currently stripping a desktop system of it's paint and was discussing with another Vogons member who is doing the same about color and we both agreed raw metal may just win out on our builds.

Reply 2543 of 4586, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mirh wrote:
Probably not the usual kind of "hardware", but a dumpster is a dumpster. http://imgur.com/sACxaVLm.jpg http://imgur.com/zAbXLwQ […]
Show full quote

Probably not the usual kind of "hardware", but a dumpster is a dumpster.
sACxaVLm.jpg zAbXLwQm.jpg

Is there anybody that know this ~2 decades old speakers manufacturer ?

Bump.
If it can help, the power connector is a C13/C14 "pass-through" that goes between the usual power cord and the computer PSU.

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 2544 of 4586, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote:
Local ewaste place still has stuff piled outside by the sidewalk, so I stopped and had a look. And this is why. […]
Show full quote

Local ewaste place still has stuff piled outside by the sidewalk, so I stopped and had a look. And this is why.

l5o0L7N.jpg

6R4SmXG.jpg

It does have some nasty looking caps.

QQau71h.jpg

But it POSTs!

NfWoHQA.jpg

It has a GF4 MX440 video card. Look at the system specs in the reviews: https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce4-mx440-g4m … N82E16814127037

I might get ambitious and recap it.

Dat XP4 chipset, although is just a rebranded SiS 645 by PCChips/Amptron, one of their last chipset rebrands

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 2547 of 4586, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's as bad as those PSUs with lead or concrete on board to give the illusion of weight and quality.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2549 of 4586, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pickings from the overflow pile in front of the local E waste have been very good lately. I scored this and gave it to my cousin - an HP Pavilion 27xi monitor.

KZx7QC8.jpg?1

I almost passed it up, but then I decided it was worth trying out. It uses an external power supply, and it turned out that the one for my cousin's old laptop was the right size and voltage, and it powered right on. After leaving it on for a day three different times I woke it from sleep to find that the resolution was huge, and I had to unplug it and plug it back in to get it back to normal. I decided to try connecting it with the HDMI port instead of DVI, and it hasn't happened since. She had a 16" monitor, so this was a very welcome upgrade.

Reply 2550 of 4586, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also scored an HP 8300. I5 3470, no memory, no video card, no hard drive, but the DVD drive was still there. It also had a Windows 10 key sticker on the top. I had been planning on using a G41 775 motherboard I had for the gaming computer I'm giving my cousin, so this was a big upgrade (Q 9505 to I5 3470!). I installed an SSD, the DDR3 I already had, and the video card. I had to buy a cable adapter to go from a PCIE drive connector to a six pin video card connector, but that was easy to find. I considered doing a case swap, but you have to buy a special adapter to go from a standard PSU to the connectors for this board, the heatsink is non standard and uses the case's back panel as a backplate, and the I/O plate is integral to the case; I decided that for free, he'll have to be satisfied with it as is.
It did have a strange delay when you would restart it, just the sort of thing you would expect a BIOS update to fix. But when I tried updating the BIOS, it had no effect - I then discovered that it hadn't actually updated the BIOS because I was at 2.01, and you have to update to 2.99 before you can update to the latest one. Two updates later, it's fast both in initial power up, and restart.

AWLAmHk.jpg?1

FkESg1c.jpg?1

Reply 2552 of 4586, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hopefully I'll stumble across one shortly.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2553 of 4586, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Took a walk in the harbour during lunchbreak today, the weather was absolutely wonderful. Went past the e-waste dumpster, and decided to have a look.

Found an old scrapped Dell server. It's of course far too large and heavy to bring with me when I'm going home in two weeks - travelling to work with a small cabin bag only - but didn't leave it before relieving it of a matched pair of Tualatin 1133 CPUs (SL5PU), a 100Mbit Intel NIC I haven't identified yet, and a 256MB stick of ECC SDRAM that I probably never will have any use for 😀

Reply 2554 of 4586, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stoof wrote:
Since we're talking lamps here all of a sudden, here's what I picked up yesterday: http://stoof.sdf.org/images/vogons/flamingo-l […]
Show full quote

Since we're talking lamps here all of a sudden, here's what I picked up yesterday:
flamingo-lamp.JPG
You can't really tell from the photo, but the beak is blue. Obviously a keeper. 😀

[...]

Damn, I somehow missed this post but just wanted to say that this is amazing. Dongbeak or not. It's perfect.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2555 of 4586, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Picked up a 2008 MATX Acer tower getting dumped. Pentium E2160 (Ouch) 1gb of DDR2 667mhz in 512mb chunks, a 250gb Sata1 Drive, and integrated VIA graphics. Vista could not have been very fun on this. . .Planning on a dropping a spare Core2 E6600 in there, a 256mb Quadro card that is basically a Geforce 8600GS, 4gb of RAM and a spare Windows 7 license upgraded to 10. $25 on Craigslist and someone should be able to get some use out of it.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2556 of 4586, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another lucky find:

Walkman-DD.JPG

Apart from a couple of small scratches (that probably happened when it was dumped...), It's in pristine condition. Looks like it's never been used. I've never even seen the box before for one of these.

Reply 2557 of 4586, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

lucked into another hp pavilion socket 370 system, with a celeron. very odd, and very bottom shelf, even for hp.
still, its free.
also got 2 small monitors and a supposedly dead motherboard which should have a nice big fan for me at least.

Searching for Epson Actiontower 3000 486 PC.

Reply 2558 of 4586, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stoof wrote:

Apart from a couple of small scratches (that probably happened when it was dumped...), It's in pristine condition. Looks like it's never been used. I've never even seen the box before for one of these.

why would anyone throw this away D:

Reply 2559 of 4586, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

It's as bad as those PSUs with lead or concrete on board to give the illusion of weight and quality.

That is actually a thing? I read about this in the past, but never seen it.