VOGONS

Reply 1321 of 4607, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you guys 12 or something? Seriously.
All those "grab popcorn" , shitty meme images and general drama are really annoying. The moment XP became retro is the moment shiz started to hit the fan, wth is wrong with you people?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1322 of 4607, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
Nar, just you. […]
Show full quote
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I'm not the only person you've done this too

Nar, just you.

Let's talk options - you're claiming that you break into recycle centers at night, someone calls BS, you could:

1. Back up your claim if true
2. Quietly learn from your mistake if false and think twice before posting BS going forward
3. Take the loser option and shout "leave me alone you troll" 😢

Let me elaborate this down to a level your brain can understand.

1.) I never said I have. I simply implied what basic logic dictates. Night decreases your chances of running into employees or being seen, a hoodie conceals your face from cameras, and only using the unlocked gates (which trust me, do exist) decreases you're chances of being successfully prosecuted if you are caught. Now that petty but morally defendable crime 101 is over.....
2.) I've made no mistake to learn from although I might say something similar to you.
3.) No I encourage you to continue making an absolute ass of yourself. I find it quite funny as I'm sure the many people "grabbing popcorn" also do.

I always have, and always will speak my mind. Your telling me not to actually encourages me to speak more openly because in all honesty your not a moderator and have the same amount of authority I do here: Absolutely none what so ever. So until which time your a moderator or a moderator asks me to discontinue the discussion I will continue to speak my mind.

Anyways, last I checked this was the dumpster find thread so lets get back to that topic.....

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1323 of 4607, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
harddrivespin wrote:

Okay guys, a bit new here

Here in the UK its really hard to trash pick- Dumpsters often only have old milk cartons and whatnot and recycling centres are run by evil factions known as "waste foundations" (I learned that when I tried to nab an Amstrad 386) and the only people who are willing to give me anything are a small PC shop that takes in PCs for recycling, and so far I have gotten 1 laptop from 2004 or something from them. I installed XP and a few games and am in the process of selling it.

How do you guys get stuff? Where should I look for dumpsters and how should I go about looking for old systems in said dumpsters?

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

The cover of night, a hoodie, and unlocked gates are your best friends when it comes to recycling centers.

You mean stealing? 😕

I prefer the term "Eco Friendly Re-Usage by Re-appropriation"

It's still stealing...

harddrivespin wrote:

Okay guys, a bit new here

Here in the UK its really hard to trash pick- Dumpsters often only have old milk cartons and whatnot and recycling centres are run by evil factions known as "waste foundations" (I learned that when I tried to nab an Amstrad 386) and the only people who are willing to give me anything are a small PC shop that takes in PCs for recycling, and so far I have gotten 1 laptop from 2004 or something from them. I installed XP and a few games and am in the process of selling it.

How do you guys get stuff? Where should I look for dumpsters and how should I go about looking for old systems in said dumpsters?

Welcome to Vogons!
Well apparently you can go into TheAbandonwareGuy's house and just steal his stuff, he won't mind 🤣

But on a more serious note, I don't know how things are in the UK, but there's more then recycling centers.
I actually never went to a recycling center (maybe only once or twice for non-pc related thingies) and it was basically impossible to take anything without the chance of being spotted + police etc...not pretty 😵

But there are other options, like local trade websites (kinda like Ebay, but more for just the local market), finding adds. Or asking around, thrift stores, flea markets, you may even bump into one when walking down the streets. Your net parts income may vary (I hope you don't get disappointed quickly 😜) and large part is all about recognizing the right opportunities. It's no good if you actually find a computer and are not able to move it (because you're walking with no other means of transportation around) or open it up to strip it for parts (because you failed to bring a screw driver or something 🤣 😢 ).

It may take years till you've amassed enough to satisfy your retro-computing desires and being able to consider your retro computing hobby to be complete. Don't expect anyone here to have gotten everything they have in just a couple months, they'll usually not 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1324 of 4607, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

Are you guys 12 or something? Seriously.
All those "grab popcorn" , shitty meme images and general drama are really annoying.
The moment XP became retro is the moment shiz started to hit the fan, wth is wrong with you people?

^^This

Though I don't mind XP being considered retro. I don't think that is the main issue being presented here.

Report spammers here!

Reply 1325 of 4607, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well honestly, I've taken things from recycling centers as well. Some would call it stealing but since it's garbage that is about to be ground up into plastic powder I don't really see how that's possible. Besides it's usually when I'm dropping other unwanted crap off so it's usually a fair trade 🤣. I've also bought things from privately owned scrap companies, so that's an option. I don't recommend picking up stuff though from non private recycling centers though, I've been threatened once already but thankfully haven't actually ever been bothered by the employees. Just busybodies who honestly should learn to mind their own business. 🤣

As for the drama, it does seem to be on the rise lately but I must point out that it's sorta been a common thing. Whether it's certain members (who happen to have characters from Shadow Warrior as their profile image) evangelizing the thread contents at the slightest provocation or general pissiness about what's vintage or retro and whats not and how their idea of what's interesting should dictate it for everyone else etc. the drama has been a bit of a common theme. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1326 of 4607, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
King_Corduroy wrote:

Well honestly, I've taken things from recycling centers as well. Some would call it stealing but since it's garbage that is about to be ground up into plastic powder I don't really see how that's possible. Besides it's usually when I'm dropping other unwanted crap off so it's usually a fair trade 🤣. I've also bought things from privately owned scrap companies, so that's an option. I don't recommend picking up stuff though from non private recycling centers though, I've been threatened once already but thankfully haven't actually ever been bothered by the employees. Just busybodies who honestly should learn to mind their own business. 🤣

As for the drama, it does seem to be on the rise lately but I must point out that it's sorta been a common thing. Whether it's certain members (who happen to have characters from Shadow Warrior as their profile image) evangelizing the thread contents at the slightest provocation or general pissiness about what's vintage or retro and whats not and how their idea of what's interesting should dictate it for everyone else etc. the drama has been a bit of a common theme. 🤣

Like I said, it's about correctly identifying opportunities. I'm pretty sure recycling centers differ from place to place.
A fair trade is a fair trade. Taking stuff without asking will usually remain a risk, do so at your own discretion 😜
And to me I dislike things like for instance stating mere assumptions as if they were facts above "evangelizing" theft.
I wouldn't want to recommend stealing for expensive/rare parts, it may give off some wrong ideas and wrong vibe, I'd rather stay clear of that 😜

But anyway, I'd rather not continue discussing this subject in this thread for going off topic and such, I said what I wanted to say 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 1327 of 4607, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Saved a box of 500gb wd green drives, pcie quadro cards, and 1gb sticks of ddr1 400. Oh, and a Pentium 2 Dell laptop with a removable video card! Great day.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 1328 of 4607, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Like I said, it's about correctly identifying opportunities. I'm pretty sure recycling centers differ from place to place. A fai […]
Show full quote
King_Corduroy wrote:

Like I said, it's about correctly identifying opportunities. I'm pretty sure recycling centers differ from place to place.
A fair trade is a fair trade. Taking stuff without asking will usually remain a risk, do so at your own discretion 😜
And to me I dislike things like for instance stating mere assumptions as if they were facts above "evangelizing" theft.
I wouldn't want to recommend stealing for expensive/rare parts, it may give off some wrong ideas and wrong vibe, I'd rather stay clear of that 😜

But anyway, I'd rather not continue discussing this subject in this thread for going off topic and such, I said what I wanted to say 😜

Well do as you like but I never said anything about evangelizing theft (not sure how that would be possible anyhow if you look up the definition...), I said certain members have been known to cause drama in the past by getting overly preachy.

Reply 1329 of 4607, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
King_Corduroy wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
Like I said, it's about correctly identifying opportunities. I'm pretty sure recycling centers differ from place to place. A fai […]
Show full quote
King_Corduroy wrote:

Well do as you like but I never said anything about evangelizing theft (not sure how that would be possible anyhow if you look up the definition...), I said certain members have been known to cause drama in the past by getting overly preachy.

Well, you are correct about you not having said anything about evangelizing theft, for that I offer my apology, you're right about that 😀
I'm not sure what you mean with the overly preachy bit. I had to go look it up 😊

Report spammers here!

Reply 1330 of 4607, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Well, you are correct about you not having said anything about evangelizing theft, for that I offer my apology, you're right about that 😀
I'm not sure what you mean with the overly preachy bit. I had to go look it up 😊

There is one user in particular who I forget the name of but he's a bit of a religious radical and likes to let everyone know whenever he shows up. That's what I meant. 🤣

Reply 1333 of 4607, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

He was banned (and not for the religious ranting, tho it didn't help). Sorry 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 1336 of 4607, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I recall that guy, he had a zombie avatar with a tnt box right?
He wasn't that bad, just derailed threads way to often. Ok maybe it was a little annoying, I mean this is not a christen forum or a place to preach. But I do recall him mass spamming the site before he was banned or left.

Anyway, I think its time the Mods clamp down on the this drama nonsice. I don't mind a small argument every now and then, it can be fun to watch and all but this it becoming way to regular and is disrupting the site.
Seems that this thread and the eBay thread has been derailed quite a few times lately and I'm sure there is more.

Reply 1337 of 4607, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Naw, I for one find that a site or group with moderators that go berserk with an iron fist make a much less interesting environment to be a part of. It all works out in the end anyway.

Reply 1338 of 4607, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
King_Corduroy wrote:

Naw, I for one find that a site or group with moderators that go berserk with an iron fist make a much less interesting environment to be a part of. .

Very true, but Id have to say this is a time the mods need to be doing something, if it gets any worse we may start losing good members.

Reply 1339 of 4607, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What happened this time? To my understanding one long standing member said something dumb to another and that was it. Not really the end of the world. 🤣