VOGONS

Reply 1600 of 4603, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CkRtech wrote:

Or part it out (even just the heatsinks) and then make the anchor. ... but I bet you can fix it.

<Looks at Pioneer SX-3800 that has been sitting in the corner under my workbench for two years>

I hope it can be restored. To be perfectly honest, I haven't cracked it open or powered it on yet. For all I know, it was thrown out because it's old. 😜

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 1601 of 4603, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:

I had an FE991SB (~2003) and it was fantastic. 1600x1200@85Hz and 2048x1536@60Hz from what I remember... too high to even see the pixels, but, why not? Sadly mine started doing some really crazy stuff after about 11 years of use (I gave it to my sister).

Have you ever tried playing games at the 2048x1536 resolution on that monitor when it still worked? I was going to say that resolution would do wonders even for modern games considering it's a little higher than 1920x1080 (but still not as high as 4K), but even if it still worked, the fact that most modern games were designed for the 16:9 aspect ratio might ruin the experience because of letterboxing. It still would be neat to see. 😊

Absolutely, it was amazing! At the time, graphics cards were certainly not powerful enough to run most games at those resolutions, but I did it from time to time. The refresh rate wasn't the best though, so I didn't do it often. I used it until about 2007, when I bought a refurbished HP P1230 (rebadged Mitsubishi DiamondPro 2070SB), which is a very similar type of monitor and can do 2048x1536@85Hz (!). I used that monitor until 2011 when I bought my first LCD (Asus VW266H). In 2016 I realized how "meh" my LCD really was after 5 years and switched back to the CRT for faster refresh rates, no motion blur, better color accuracy and resolution flexibility. In the end, I knew that it wasn't the smartest thing to use such a rare and valuable CRT for reading emails and looking at message boards most of the time though, so when I found a good price on a BenQ XL2720Z (the only LCD that had the blur-reduction features I wanted) I bought that and moved my CRT back to my workbench.

Over the years I've powered these CRTs with everything from a Radeon 9600 Pro, Geforce 6800GT, 7900GTX, 7950GX2, 8800GTX, GTX 260, GTX 470, GTX 560 Ti, GTX 660 and GTX 970. The GTX 9xx series is the last generation to have DVI-I, so anything later than a 980 Ti won't run a CRT without some kind of D\A conversion (which would defeat the purpose). I still prefer CRTs for a lot of things, but the size, power consumption and generally funky screen geometry (no perfect circles or squares) do make them less practical for everyday use. You can bet that some day a high end CRT combined with a 980 Ti will make for a sweet "retro" combination for the absolute fastest VGA+CRT experience possible. 🤣

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1602 of 4603, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
CkRtech wrote:

Or part it out (even just the heatsinks) and then make the anchor. ... but I bet you can fix it.

<Looks at Pioneer SX-3800 that has been sitting in the corner under my workbench for two years>

I hope it can be restored. To be perfectly honest, I haven't cracked it open or powered it on yet. For all I know, it was thrown out because it's old. 😜

Oh that would be awesome! You gonna bring it up on a lightbulb/variac or smoke test?

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 1603 of 4603, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not so much found as bought from a scrapyard today for 5$ but here's what I got. 😁

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbzl3p2.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbzl3q1.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbzli08.jpg

Started right up also! Just needed some RAM! 🤣

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbzlhxl.jpg

Also had a Jumpstart game in the CD drive. 🤣

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbzlhz0.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1604 of 4603, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CkRtech wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:
CkRtech wrote:

Oh that would be awesome! You gonna bring it up on a lightbulb/variac or smoke test?

Internal visual check first, then the lightbulb. I anticipate some old rotten caulking to remove at least.

No variac on my bench, unfortunately.

Reply 1605 of 4603, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found these untested graphics cards at local recycling center. I did get them for free.

20180111_162309.jpg
Filename
20180111_162309.jpg
File size
4.72 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I have no idea what the bottom right card is because the cooler has been changed.

Edit: After closer look it is most likely Nvidia 7600 GS

Reply 1606 of 4603, by gravitone

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Baoran wrote:
Found these untested graphics cards at local recycling center. I did get them for free. […]
Show full quote

Found these untested graphics cards at local recycling center. I did get them for free.

20180111_162309.jpg

I have no idea what the bottom right card is because the cooler has been changed.

Edit: After closer look it is most likely Nvidia 7600 GS

Could be a 7600GS or a 7600GT. Both cards share the same pcb design.

Reply 1608 of 4603, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like the 7800gs at bottom right the most. I really hope it works. I would like to test it in win98 to see if the drivers are as bad as everyone say they are.
Does x1950 really need both of the power connectors?

Reply 1609 of 4603, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The last few days have seen some bountiful trashpickings for me. First up:

IMG_2063.JPG
Too new for me to have any knowledge about, took it mostly for the passive heatsink. The card is a 8800 GT 512 Mb, anyone know if it's especially useful for anything?

Next up is this neat thing:

IMG_2064.JPG
It kinda has the dimensions and looks of a hardcase for a shaver from the eighties, but the phone jack had me take a second look and...

IMG_2067.JPG
Tadaa! Nice! I had hoped it was a computer terminal (vt100 compatible or whatever), but it seems to be a "teletext" device only. It has no serial port. Not much info out there on this one, it's still up in the air if this is usable for anything.

IMG_2071.JPG
Consumer electronics made in Sweden, remnants from a bygone era... It has memory to store settings and "letters". There is a relay that switches when you tell the device to send/receive. I'm not sure what to do with it. I can't really afford (space-wise) to keep too many things just for their novelty value...

Oh, and I also snagged this stack of Playstation games:

IMG_2062.JPG
I'm pretty chuffed about MGS and Alundra! 😀

Reply 1611 of 4603, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
King_Corduroy wrote:

What's the Network access disc?

That's for the PS2, nothing special (I think). I assume it came with the ehternet/HD adapter kit. Haven't checked the disc, but it comes with some codes and gudies for setting up a conection and whatnot.

Reply 1612 of 4603, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not sure about the Accellero S1, but I have an Accelero S3 (minus the rear heatsink) installed on my GTX 970 with a 120mm fan zip-tied onto it, and it is absolutely phenomenal. It takes up a lot of space but it is SO QUIET (constant speed) and cools this card so well I can overclock better than I could with the noisy stock blower.

Biggest issue is all the slots this occupies. With the fan attached it covers one slot below the card and makes the next one a tight fit. On the back side of the card the mounting screws are so long that they obstruct the PCI-E x1 slot my board has there. If I ever need the expansion space, I'll figure something else out but I would definitely keep this cooler, no matter what.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1613 of 4603, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I brought some old batteries & rubbish down to the scrap metal bins today and came back with more than I started. 😜

cards1.jpg
Filename
cards1.jpg
File size
519.04 KiB
Views
File license

Two handy firewire cards, two network cards, an ATI TV tuner / capture card & a Mach 64 PCI. Not bad!

cards2.jpg
Filename
cards2.jpg
File size
252.14 KiB
Views
File license
cards3.jpg
Filename
cards3.jpg
File size
256.58 KiB
Views
File license

Pretty pleased with the Mach64 especially, really hoping that works. Usually the only thing that's in those bins is literal scrap.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1614 of 4603, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DEC Tulip NIC cards. Back in the day, they were an inexpensive option for great network throughput. Very nice!

Reply 1615 of 4603, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stoof wrote:
The last few days have seen some bountiful trashpickings for me. First up: […]
Show full quote

The last few days have seen some bountiful trashpickings for me. First up:

IMG_2063.JPG
Too new for me to have any knowledge about, took it mostly for the passive heatsink. The card is a 8800 GT 512 Mb, anyone know if it's especially useful for anything?

I have an Accelero S1 v2. I originally used it on an ATI HD4850. The cooler came back to me after the card died a couple years after I gave it to a family member.

It is now cooling an 8800 Ultra alongside a Zalman RAM/VRM cooler that was meant to go with a Zalman cooler made for the 8800 Ultra and GTX. I had to pretty heavily mod the Zalman cooler to make it fit with the S1 V2.
I also had to modify the mounting bracket of the S1 v2 so it would work on the 8800 Ultra. I drilled and tapped holes to line up with the cooler bolt holes for the 8800 Ultra.

That sucker is a very, very good cooler for older cards.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1616 of 4603, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:

I brought some old batteries & rubbish down to the scrap metal bins today and came back with more than I started. 😜

Hate it when that happens, actually no I don't!
What do you use fireware ports for? I've got a few in my systems but struggle to think what I can use them for

Reply 1619 of 4603, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SW-SSG wrote:

A 286-20, nice. Must be one of the last ones... and it's in a nice shade of orange, too.

I bet it's a Biostar board. I own a MB-1216H which looks *very* similar, incl. the color.