VOGONS

Reply 1580 of 4599, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A member of a Facebook group of Commodore 64/128 users hooked me up with a PSU for the cost of shipping and it turns out that my C128 and monitor lives!!! 😁

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbudbxa.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbudbw5.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1581 of 4599, by mongaccio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
King_Corduroy wrote:

A member of a Facebook group of Commodore 64/128 users hooked me up with a PSU for the cost of shipping and it turns out that my C128 and monitor lives!!! 😁

I lold at the message. Good job. You also have a really nice monitor.

I'm trying to make a cable for 80 columns mode, i'll test it tomorrow. I am a bit lucky since all old tv/monitors, here in Europe, are equipped with Scart inputs (which is a socket that has composite, s-video and also RGB inputs) I'm using the precious info found here. https://sites.google.com/site/h2obsession/CBM … 8/rgbi-to-scart

Your Commodore Monitor should have a native S-video input, and you can use the simpler schematics found in the same site, if you ever want to try 80 columns, Geos and maybe even CP/M

Reply 1582 of 4599, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Literally found this system sitting next to a dumpster today:

Whole setup!
8PxZSHSm.jpg

an nvidia card and some dell soundblaster x-fi? Thank you!
wmLaqtJm.jpg

EWW! FB-Dimms...
DJvcOIOm.jpg

Has XP pro on it and a password, I pulled the hard drives. I'll look at them later when I can clean off my healing bench. This thing is HEAVY. The case is made out of metal! *gasp*

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1585 of 4599, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yea, but the FB dimms REALLY are poisonous imho. It has a E5405 in it. Which is literally the slowest xeon intel made. Only cost $209 new! Dell likely marked it up in a "kit" and charged $1000.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1586 of 4599, by danijelm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:

yea, but the FB dimms REALLY are poisonous imho. It has a E5405 in it. Which is literally the slowest xeon intel made. Only cost $209 new! Dell likely marked it up in a "kit" and charged $1000.

O, no it's not. I have Hp with 2x E5310 (1.6Ghz, quad, 8MB cache) 😢

I speak sarcasm as a 2nd language

Reply 1587 of 4599, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My most recent trash find!!!

1997 Compaq Deskpro 3574. It's pretty rare that I come across a whole computer setup but I love it when I do. 😁 Someone obviously took good care of it since the mouse and other cables were neatly rubber banded together and popped into ziplock baggies. Unfortunately no documents but this is still more than I usually find (except the odd Packard Bell weirdly enough which this year I found like three or so complete systems). Pretty neat, running Windows 95 on a 233mhz CPU with 64mb RAM.

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbwzmmd.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbwzml2.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbwzmkf.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbwzmgu.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1588 of 4599, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, such good condition for something that got trashed.. I can't believe some people have the heart to throw away something so nice. At least it landed in hands that will take good care of it.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1589 of 4599, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

found this pentium 2
left allot of other computers behind p2 p1 p 4 amd athlon was to much to take all no room 😀

Attachments

• p2.jpg
    Filename
    p2.jpg
    File size
    54.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1590 of 4599, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not dumpster, but curb-shopping.

Hit the jackpot.. for my area anyway.

An NEC Multisync FE950 with a build date of March 2000.

19" (18" viewable) flatscreen CRT with a max res of 1792x1344.

Colors look good. Will need to do the normal image adjustments of course.

Guessing someone's parents/grandparents received new LCD flatscreens for Christmas as there was also a CRT TV by the road.

IMG-0371.JPG
Filename
IMG-0371.JPG
File size
1.27 MiB
Views
File license

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1591 of 4599, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
Not dumpster, but curb-shopping. […]
Show full quote

Guessing someone's parents/grandparents received new LCD flatscreens for Christmas as there was also a CRT TV by the road.

That should be an awesome monitor! I had an FE991SB (~2003) and it was fantastic. 1600x1200@85Hz and 2048x1536@60Hz from what I remember... too high to even see the pixels, but, why not? Sadly mine started doing some really crazy stuff after about 11 years of use (I gave it to my sister). It would have this crazy "Force Lightning" static effect behind the glass with a crackle-SNAP! every time it was powered off (or on?). It had apparently been doing this for a little while (worked fine while it was running) but I told them to stop using it immediately when I saw it.

I was very sad to have to retire it. I loved that monitor. It was the first monitor I'd ever purchased. Honestly, I've only had 5 monitors for my "main" computer in the past 18 years of having my own computers and I still have the three most recent, dating back to 2005 (HP P1230 CRT), 2010 and 2016! That's a pretty decent track record.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1592 of 4599, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

My most recent trash find!!!

That's a thing of beauty! It's so nice to see a complete system like that all safe and sound - I'm guessing that people don't want to toss something that they've clearly looked after for all these years, but simply can't think of anything else to do with it. People always seemed surprised that anyone would want an old computer.

Nice work and thanks for sharing.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1593 of 4599, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
Not dumpster, but curb-shopping. […]
Show full quote

IMG-0371.JPG

Nice! I had an NEC Multisync FE700 (manufactured in August 2000) which looked exactly like that (albeit in 17") when I was a kid, too bad it stopped working 7 years ago, but at least I still have my old reliable Sony CPD-E240 which was also bought at the same time as that FE700. 😀

Ozzuneoj wrote:

I had an FE991SB (~2003) and it was fantastic. 1600x1200@85Hz and 2048x1536@60Hz from what I remember... too high to even see the pixels, but, why not? Sadly mine started doing some really crazy stuff after about 11 years of use (I gave it to my sister).

Have you ever tried playing games at the 2048x1536 resolution on that monitor when it still worked? I was going to say that resolution would do wonders even for modern games considering it's a little higher than 1920x1080 (but still not as high as 4K), but even if it still worked, the fact that most modern games were designed for the 16:9 aspect ratio might ruin the experience because of letterboxing. It still would be neat to see. 😊

Reply 1594 of 4599, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am living here for 10 years and the people in the neighborhood never threw out something useful.

Until today. Someone had thrown out a PC with:

- a PCChips M811 motherboard (Socket A)
IMG_20180108_195514-150x150.jpg

- a rather useless AMD Geode CPU
I have never seen one of those socketed, but I had a netbook with a Geode a few years back. It was absolutely terrible.
IMG_20180108_195755-150x150.jpg

- a much more useful NVidia GeForce FX5500
This one has a bulging cap and the fan completely broke off when I touched it. So it will need a recap and some more work before I can play with it.
IMG_20180108_195523-150x150.jpg

It also looks like something died in there. Ugh.
IMG_20180108_200849-150x150.jpg

- a 40GB harddrive. Since the condition of the computer was very disgusting (the case had some sticky gelee on it) I am NOT tempted to see what's on there.
IMG_20180108_195531-150x150.jpg

I also have 1GB + 128MB DDR memory modules now. Very interesting combination.
Looks much better after cleaning it all up:
IMG_20180108_202816-150x150.jpg

The case also included a CD RW burner and a DVD drive. But both of them had broken IDE ports. I suspect the poor old PC took a little beating. 🙁

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 1595 of 4599, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
schmatzler wrote:
- a 40GB harddrive. Since the condition of the computer was very disgusting (the case had some sticky gelee on it) I am NOT temp […]
Show full quote

- a 40GB harddrive. Since the condition of the computer was very disgusting (the case had some sticky gelee on it) I am NOT tempted to see what's on there.
IMG_20180108_195531-150x150.jpg

Might I recommend you nuke it from orbit?
https://dban.org/

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 1597 of 4599, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Trash picked a monster vintage receiver from Yamaha (CA-1010) and a matching tuner. I figure if restoration isn't possible, I can convert it into a ship's anchor.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 1598 of 4599, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since this one's a freebie, I figured it would fit in with this topic.

Today, I picked up an HP Pavilion dv6930us laptop with an iGo universal AC adapter, since the poster just described it as an HP laptop, I wasn't sure what model it was until I picked it up. I happen to have the genuine HP AC adapter which was given to me years ago by another friend who had a similar laptop that died due to the nVidia GPU crapping out. Luckily this one has an Intel GMA chipset GPU so it's not affected by bumpgate which risked the nVidia models to extinction.

IMG_1753.JPG
Filename
IMG_1753.JPG
File size
510.44 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_1754.JPG
Filename
IMG_1754.JPG
File size
1.56 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_1755.JPG
Filename
IMG_1755.JPG
File size
763.71 KiB
Views
File license

It works perfectly (aside from the typical dead battery) and booted to Windows 10 Home edition, I think I'll install some other OS on here since the Windows 10 install has no license (I'm thinking about loading some Windows version between XP and 8.0).

Reply 1599 of 4599, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Trash picked a monster vintage receiver from Yamaha (CA-1010) and a matching tuner. I figure if restoration isn't possible, I can convert it into a ship's anchor.

Or part it out (even just the heatsinks) and then make the anchor. ... but I bet you can fix it.

<Looks at Pioneer SX-3800 that has been sitting in the corner under my workbench for two years>

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video