Reply 1300 of 4609, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cj_reha wrote:

pls fix ur photos my scroll wheel just ran a marathon

Fixed.

.legaCy, see my handy imgur tutorial: Making clickable embedded images using Imgur image hosting service

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 1301 of 4609, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:
cj_reha wrote:

Fixed.

.legaCy, see my handy imgur tutorial: Making clickable embedded images using Imgur image hosting service

Thanks 😀

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 1302 of 4609, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Toss that PoS Trident. It's literally useless. It gets 5FPS in DOOM. It will bottleneck a 386 🤣

Not the 8900D though.

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I thought most 286 machines lacked 16-bit ISA slots?

I would also never use such an unreliable brand of video cards as a test card. I would use something with a better reputation.

It also has jumpers for operation on an 8-bit slot. I don't know where you got that "unreliable" from, but it's not true. Almost all Tridents are awfully slow, yes, but not unreliable. Maybe it's something you also thought, like the ISA slots of 286s? As I see it this card maybe useless for you, but far from that for others. Not everyone wants to play Quake.

Reply 1303 of 4609, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
konc wrote:
Not the 8900D though. […]
Show full quote
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Toss that PoS Trident. It's literally useless. It gets 5FPS in DOOM. It will bottleneck a 386 🤣

Not the 8900D though.

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I would also never use such an unreliable brand of video cards as a test card. I would use something with a better reputation.

It also has jumpers for operation on an 8-bit slot. I don't know where you got that "unreliable" from, but it's not true. Almost all Tridents are awfully slow, yes, but not unreliable. Maybe it's something you also thought, like the ISA slots of 286s? As I see it this card maybe useless for you, but far from that for others. Not everyone wants to play Quake.

The Trident cards were the standard issue VGA card back when I worked as a tech in the very early 90s. They were never designed for heavy lifting graphics (except the late models were not completely horrible), but as you said, they were reliable. Trident filled a gap. Cheap VGA for small business use was the main purpose the shop I worked at used them for.

Reply 1304 of 4609, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
.legaCy wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Why? it can be used on a 286 or 8086, and also can be use a test card.

Well in the same post i had pictures of a 286 motherboard and it has 16-bit ISA.

Stiletto wrote:
cj_reha wrote:

Fixed.

Thank you a lot sir, i wish i had found this topic earlier.
Added to favorites.

Reply 1305 of 4609, by harddrivespin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay guys, a bit new here

Here in the UK its really hard to trash pick- Dumpsters often only have old milk cartons and whatnot and recycling centres are run by evil factions known as "waste foundations" and the only people who are willing to give me anything are a small PC shop that takes in PCs for recycling, and so far I have gotten 1 laptop from 2004 or something from them. I installed XP and a few games and am in the process of selling it.

How do you guys get stuff? Where should I look for dumpsters and how should I go about looking for old systems in said dumpsters?

Last edited by harddrivespin on 2017-08-18, 17:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1306 of 4609, by moawkwrd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Waste and electrical legislation is much tighter here in the UK. It probably isn't worth the travelling time it would require to find the same sort of items as people in this thread do in the US and elsewhere.

Finding old computers and parts is hard enough on eBay here.

Xeon E3-1241v3 - 16GB DDR3 - Vega 56 - W10
PII 450MHz - 256MB SDRAM - Voodoo 3 3000 PCI - W98SE

Reply 1307 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
harddrivespin wrote:

Here in the UK its really hard to trash pick- Dumpsters often only have old milk cartons and whatnot and recycling centres are run by evil factions known as "waste foundations" (I learned that when I tried to nab an Amstrad 386) and the only people who are willing to give me anything are a small PC shop that takes in PCs for recycling, and so far I have gotten 1 laptop from 2004 or something from them. I installed XP and a few games and am in the process of selling it.

How do you guys get stuff? Where should I look for dumpsters and how should I go about looking for old systems in said dumpsters?

The cover of night, a hoodie, and unlocked gates are your best friends when it comes to recycling centers.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1308 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
harddrivespin wrote:

Here in the UK its really hard to trash pick- Dumpsters often only have old milk cartons and whatnot and recycling centres are run by evil factions known as "waste foundations" (I learned that when I tried to nab an Amstrad 386) and the only people who are willing to give me anything are a small PC shop that takes in PCs for recycling, and so far I have gotten 1 laptop from 2004 or something from them. I installed XP and a few games and am in the process of selling it.

The cover of night, a hoodie, and unlocked gates are your best friends when it comes to recycling centers.

You mean stealing? 😕

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1309 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:
konc wrote:
Not the 8900D though. […]
Show full quote
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Not the 8900D though.

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

The Trident cards were the standard issue VGA card back when I worked as a tech in the very early 90s. They were never designed for heavy lifting graphics (except the late models were not completely horrible), but as you said, they were reliable. Trident filled a gap. Cheap VGA for small business use was the main purpose the shop I worked at used them for.

Fair enough. My version was the 8900C, I can't imagine there being a huge difference however.

Also, they made scrolling in Word 95 lag. Even for business, it would have been useless.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1310 of 4609, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Fair enough. My version was the 8900C, I can't imagine there being a huge difference however.

Also, they made scrolling in Word 95 lag. Even for business, it would have been useless.

Most businesses back in the early 90s were still using mostly DOS text based business software so Trident cards did just fine for them and it would display Windows 3.1 fine as well. Beyond that and we would recommend something more expensive. They served a purpose and we sold a lot of them in new builds. They were not useless at the time. Today as a retro VGA card? Hells no, but back then when everything was expensive and in limited quantities compared to today especially ram and video ram Trident filled the need.

Reply 1311 of 4609, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote:

Most businesses back in the early 90s were still using mostly DOS text based business software so Trident cards did just fine for them and it would display Windows 3.1 fine as well. Beyond that and we would recommend something more expensive. They served a purpose and we sold a lot of them in new builds. They were not useless at the time. Today as a retro VGA card? Hells no, but back then when everything was expensive and in limited quantities compared to today especially ram and video ram Trident filled the need.

I have a couple of ISA Trident VGA cards and think they're great for a 286 / slow 386 era machine. Very compatible, nice image quality, and can do a decent CGA mode if I remember rightly.

I've seen a few VLB Tridents in my day and they ain't no good.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1312 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
harddrivespin wrote:

You mean stealing? 😕

I prefer the term "Eco Friendly Re-Usage by Re-appropriation"

Reply 1313 of 4609, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Gosh you're awesome - tell us more things that you've never actually done in real life that are awesome

Reply 1314 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Gosh you're awesome - tell us more things that you've never actually done in real life that are awesome

Pointlessly, endlessly, troll someone for no apparent reason on an ultra niche forum just because I disagree with there opinions.

BadMojo, get a fucking life and stop constantly degrading me here. I'm so sick of it. I'm not the only person you've done this too. Nobody here appreciates it. I can think of somewhere more conveniently located for you to shove your opinions.

Reply 1317 of 4609, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I'm not the only person you've done this too

Nar, just you.

Let's talk options - you're claiming that you break into recycle centers at night, someone calls BS, you could:

1. Back up your claim if true
2. Quietly learn from your mistake if false and think twice before posting BS going forward
3. Take the loser option and shout "leave me alone you troll" 😢

Reply 1318 of 4609, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
badmojo wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I'm not the only person you've done this too

Nar, just you.

Thats total bull shit and you know it. You pulled the same crap on me.

Anyway im grabbing the pop corn at this point.

Reply 1319 of 4609, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

Thats total bull shit and you know it. You pulled the same crap on me.

Details please, then we can discuss your options 😀