VOGONS

Reply 2280 of 4586, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
386_junkie wrote:

Yesterday... this was going to be gone.... forever!

Seeing this going for the landfill... I could not help but save it from near doom.

A Digital Prioris 6200, Dual P-Pro server.... my first P-Pro! I see it has EISA slots, and weird looking smaller white ones... apparently called PCI!

Nice find, got the same box myself and secured some documentation and drivers before it vanished from the web. Just need to find some rails for the CD drive. Good luck finding the HDD caddies if they were not included. Especially the white version seems to be pretty rare.
eisapc

Reply 2281 of 4586, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eisapc wrote:

Nice find, got the same box myself and secured some documentation and drivers before it vanished from the web. Just need to find some rails for the CD drive. Good luck finding the HDD caddies if they were not included. Especially the white version seems to be pretty rare.
eisapc

Thanks, was quite lucky as there is not normally such old systems there. When I saw her, I could not believe my eyes... and accepted the rescue mission. I have not yet been able to find much information online, or drivers. Would you be willing to share some software you have? Thanks

I took a picture of inside (below), from the system diagram it seems to show this area as the Storage Building Block (SBB). I have not opened to look inside, but it seems there may be a couple of drives in there.

What makes the white version rare?

Attachments

• eisapc.jpg
    Filename
    eisapc.jpg
    File size
    1.06 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 2282 of 4586, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eisapc wrote:

eisapc

I just realised that I found something else that day!

As the front door is missing and I could not identify, I did not think they were connected (no pun intended) but this smaller box has some kind of drives in them.

Is this the HDD caddies you were meaning?

Thanks

Attachments

• drives.jpg
    Filename
    drives.jpg
    File size
    591.21 KiB
    Views
    File license

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

Reply 2283 of 4586, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After further investigation, the drives can be removed from the front, almost like modern day hot-swapping... I wonder if these could be hot-swapped or if the technology wasn't there yet?

The connector: -

Attachments

• 20190220_121327.jpg
    Filename
    20190220_121327.jpg
    File size
    1.45 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 2285 of 4586, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These trays were availiable in beige and dark grey for the VMS and storage works line, while the white ones seem to be unique to the PC line. There are narrow SCSI and wide SCSI versions. The one in the picture is wide while the narrow SCSI has a two row connector. I will have a look at my archive at the weekend and will forward whatever material for the Prioris 6200 is availiable.
eisapc

Reply 2286 of 4586, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Saved this keyboard from e-waste container yesterday. Cleaned it afterwards. I've tested it, and it works.

Attachments

• IMG_7875.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_7875.JPG
    File size
    463.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_7876.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_7876.JPG
    File size
    396.43 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 2289 of 4586, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was at my in-laws' house over the weekend for dinner and stumbled upon this IBM Model M in their basement. 😳 It's got an SDL to PS/2 cable and all the keys in perfect working order. This thing has been right under my nose for almost 9 years and I just finally found it. 🤣 I' posted some clean-up photos in the What Retro Activity Did You Get Up to Today thread: Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Attachments

• IMG_1589.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1589.JPG
    File size
    276.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_1587.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1587.JPG
    File size
    348.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Katmai500 on 2019-03-18, 14:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2290 of 4586, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Turbo -> wrote:
dionb wrote:

Cherry G80 or 81?

Looks like HAU caps 😀

On the back side of keyboard it says: G80-3000 HAU/04

What does HAU mean?

Nice!

G80: mechanical Cherry MX switches
-3000: board design. The 3000 is *still* in production, the longest run of any keyboard, but this is a very early model.
HAU:
H - doubleshot keycaps (S would be dye sublimation)
A - switch type - in case of MX it indicates black (linear) switches
U - US ANSI layout

/0:
Beige/gray
4:
Probably revision code

See:
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_article_numbers

Old Cherry blacks are beautiful switches, give this board a good clean and it could be a daily driver 😀

Reply 2291 of 4586, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Katmai500 wrote:

I was at my in-laws' house over the weekend for dinner and stumbled upon this IBM Model M in their basement. 😳 It's got an SDL to PS/2 cable and all the keys in perfect working order. This thing has been right under my nose for almost 9 years and I just finally found it. 🤣 I' posted some clean-up photos in the What Retro Activity Did You Get Up to Today thread: Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't keep avoiding the inlaws after all!

Reply 2292 of 4586, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a bit lucky this time and found a guy who was willing to just give away this stuff:

eiQuDf0.jpg?1
HGbBZZS.jpg
4m0kvse.jpg

Lots of video cards, some sound cards, radio tuner for ISA, some modems or isdn cards and tv tuners, and the most precious - a Cx486DLC-40GP + Cx87DLC-40GP computer.
I never really even dreamed of finding those 386 computers with those weird 486DLC processors, but here it now is.

Amazing.

Of course i didn't let the guy leave emtpy handed, but because he was giving it all away for free, i think this thread is appropriate.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 2294 of 4586, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Katmai500 wrote:

Very nice.

I recovered my long lost Model M from my Dad when we visited for Christmas. completely forgot that he had it. He was still using it after all these years.

I had to buy him a new keyboard in order to get the Model M back but it was worth it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2295 of 4586, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Had I already said I love my colleagues?

full.jpg

A while back someone was chucking out old server room crap. I got a Cherry MY G81-1800, but a colleague got something that sounded like an MX G80-1800 with blues in custom metal case. Yesterday I gave him another find, a rack mount laptop keyboard with scissor switches and touchpad, as a separate mouse cluttered up his garage too much. Unasked for he handed me the nice keyboard this morning 😀

Turns out I was wrong - it's no Cherry board, despite a very - 1800 look it's an Alps White design. Still, beautiful and lovely to type on.

Reply 2296 of 4586, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386_junkie wrote:

Seeing this going for the landfill... I could not help but save it from near doom.

A Digital Prioris 6200, Dual P-Pro server.... my first P-Pro! I see it has EISA slots, and weird looking smaller white ones... apparently called PCI!

This is a great find. It must've weighted a ton! 😁

Regarding your question about the caddies, iirc these were not hotswappable.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2297 of 4586, by mongaccio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
386_junkie wrote:

Dual pentium pro. Humongous tower branded DEC. That's ok.

Still has the keylock key. That's awesome.

Reply 2298 of 4586, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This has been a weird week in tech.

Started off by finding an Acer Predator with a 500GB HDD and an i7 3770 in the bed of a rusted out 89 Silverado at the car scrapyard. Bought it for 5 bucks, motherboard was fried (it was missing the PSU and RAM so no surprises there considering it also set in the rain for who knows how long) but I sold the CPU for $70.

Then I was given two very odd HP Desktops using proprietary motherboards with no expansion slots, reverse ITX cases, and laptop style power bricks. Both had 1TB HDD's and one had 8GB of RAM the other 4GB. One had an Ivy Bridge Pentium and the other a soldered A6-5200 with integrated Radeon 8400 graphics. Both have integrated WiFi and standard DVD RW drives.

Realistically, I'm sure I can find a usage for the AMD based one. The Intel one I'm tossing around the idea of saving it's internals for the MAME cabinet I'll never get around to building.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 2299 of 4586, by Parts man

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

This has been a weird week in tech.

Started off by finding an Acer Predator with a 500GB HDD and an i7 3770 in the bed of a rusted out 89 Silverado at the car scrapyard. Bought it for 5 bucks, motherboard was fried (it was missing the PSU and RAM so no surprises there considering it also set in the rain for who knows how long) but I sold the CPU for $70.

I sure hope you did a full test of the CPU before selling it and not just a post test or something.