VOGONS

Reply 1120 of 4609, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

Saved all this from being scrapped yesterday. 😁

So far neither mac is in working order, the Classic is going to need more work (blows fuses, seems like bad analogue board) than the Classic II so I've pulled the battery and shelved it for another day. The Classic II displays lines and turns on which gives me hope that it's just a problem of bad caps on the logic board. Probably going to have both the boards recapped just for kicks but I'll bet the Classic II will live again. 😁

Nice find! Hope you can get 'em going. I finally got rid of my SE/30 after realizing I was never going to get around to fixing it up after the battery leakage debacle. Still wondering if I'm gonna regret that in the future, these things are only going to get more and more sought after. (Mine went to a fellow Mac enthusiast with a few other SEs, so it had the good ending. 😀 )

I did about 2 hours of coding outside in the shade on the Inspiron 600m (above) this afternoon. The battery lasts at least that long even with the display at full brightness, the keyboard is great, it runs lightweight Linux well & grabbed all my dev stuff off my ownCloud server with no drama. I'm posting on it right now for that matter. There is absolutely n o t h i n g wrong with this thing, it's barely even been used. Mint.

It's not "fast" but it does what I want perfectly well. Super pleased. Why would you throw this out???

stoof wrote:

That Thinkpad is interesting/weird. I don't think I've ever seen that model. ("i seres"? Made by Acer apparently.)

Yeah I saw that 😀 It still feels like an oldschool Thinkpad should though. Fantastic keyboard and top-notch build quality regardless of who made it. I really want to restore it to its proper glory, I found a few other bits for it so all I need now is the HDD connector and a battery cover. I did boot FreeDOS from a CD and it seems to run fine.

stoof wrote:

Oh, and the heatsink for the s370 looks like a good one, copper base with aluminium fins.

Is it supposed to have a fan on it? There was one attached at some point (via the old "I'll just ram these screws in until they tap their own threads" method - see the Ti4600) but it looks like it should be a fanless setup.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1121 of 4609, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

Nice find! Hope you can get 'em going. I finally got rid of my SE/30 after realizing I was never going to get around to fixing it up after the battery leakage debacle. Still wondering if I'm gonna regret that in the future, these things are only going to get more and more sought after. (Mine went to a fellow Mac enthusiast with a few other SEs, so it had the good ending. 😀 )

Mac SE's don't seem to be doing much as far as value. A few CL posts in my state have been asking 30/piece for them. It seems like the classic chassis is really what people want or color classics. Actually most of the non-jobs era stuff seems cheap-ish, except for the truly rare/top-of-the-line items.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 1122 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

Sadly I think you can only do that with a Colour Classic. I'm probably wrong though I've still a lot to learn about macs. 🤣

I nearly got an original M0001 (you know, the one that costs like a grand. Not the much more common M0001A) 128k for free from a relative who located one that had been sitting in a long abandoned military barracks. Then there was hobos, then there was a fire, then there was no more Macintosh (or barracks), then said relative was committed. Having been used by the military I'm sure it was upgraded to the gills too.

This was a month ago. Suffice it to say my dreams of Macintosh based world domination were built and destroyed within a week. Probably the only chance I was ever going to get to receive a working 128k

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1123 of 4609, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Carlos S. M. wrote:
Someone trashed this old Core 2 era computer without an HDD and the videocard dead (spotted bad caps around the card), system di […]
Show full quote

Someone trashed this old Core 2 era computer without an HDD and the videocard dead (spotted bad caps around the card), system didn't POST at first, but i finally POST after replacing the videocard

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
3 GB DDR2 (512 + 2048 + 512 MB)
ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus with SupremeFX
Club 3D Geforce 8600 GT Passive (dead)
D-Link Gigabit PCI Ethernet

If I were you I'd recap the GPU and the PSU. At least the PSU looks worth recapping. (even if it's just an Apevia\Aspire)

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 1124 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote:
Carlos S. M. wrote:
Someone trashed this old Core 2 era computer without an HDD and the videocard dead (spotted bad caps around the card), system di […]
Show full quote

Someone trashed this old Core 2 era computer without an HDD and the videocard dead (spotted bad caps around the card), system didn't POST at first, but i finally POST after replacing the videocard

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
3 GB DDR2 (512 + 2048 + 512 MB)
ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus with SupremeFX
Club 3D Geforce 8600 GT Passive (dead)
D-Link Gigabit PCI Ethernet

If I were you I'd recap the GPU and the PSU. At least the PSU looks worth recapping. (even if it's just an Apevia\Aspire)

Good chipset on that motherboard too. My main still rocks an EVGA 680i SLI, 8GB of RAM, and an R9 290. My QX6850 purchase is still delayed though so I'm stuck with a Q6600 (which btw is still enough to get 30-45FPS in most games)

I'd assume it to make an excellent DX10/Vista platform as well.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1125 of 4609, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xjas wrote:
stoof wrote:

Oh, and the heatsink for the s370 looks like a good one, copper base with aluminium fins.

Is it supposed to have a fan on it? There was one attached at some point (via the old "I'll just ram these screws in until they tap their own threads" method - see the Ti4600) but it looks like it should be a fanless setup.

If it were me, I'd put a fan on it (depending on the TDP, of course). It reminds me of the Alpha coolers:

114_10.jpg

which had a shroud on which the fan was mounted in a "pull" direction. They also had a copper base with black alu fins.
Those Alphas were the bees knees, I wish I had picked one up back in the day. Though I did get an equally cool (heh) Swiftech MC426 instead.

Reply 1126 of 4609, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Went round to the Mrs industrial unit where I store a lot of my computer stuff. Printing business next door is moving and had a skip outside. What caught my interest right away was couple of PC cases and 2 large 21 inch CRT's. I thought about the CRT's, but apart from being so large one had paint or something spilt down the side and other was pretty beat up.
There was 3 PC cases, I thought I would I would just pull some parts and be done. In the end I grabbed 2 whole computers!

Both2.jpg

One on the left had this inside
AMD.jpg

AMD Slot A 650Mhz,
SDII Motherboard
I Will side-2930c SCSI card
Voodoo 2000 PCI
Apple branded internal Zip 100
Cool 3.5/5.25 combined floppy
Unkown amount of ram.
System powers up but that all the testing I did, The 40GB HDD was also in the skip, smashed with a hammer.

Looking forward to messing round with this. I always liked the cartridge style CPU's, and this gives me the opportunity to play on AMD's side of the fence.
the Voodoo 3 PCI is nice bonus as well, even if it just the 2000

2nd computer is a Power Mac 266MHz 32MB/6GB CD/Zip/AV
Pwr_Mac2.jpg
Sadly this will need more work. It's got no power supply so no idea if it works, shame as wouldn't mind a classic mac either.
I don't know much about mac's, looks like it wouldn't make a bad classic Mac either, the "personality card" seems to be the mid range one. I can upgrade the Video with a ATI PCI card and use standard VGA, but still need Apple keyboard and mouse. I just don't know if its worth it or If I should part it out and sell?
Here is the back view
Pwr_Mac1.jpg

I also grabbed a D2 external drive with a Yamaha 8x CD-RW, Havent looked to see if its SCSI or not

Finally down the road was this old IBM monitor sitting in the gutter (fly tipping is pretty bad round there) We had heavy rain the past few days and you can see is has pretty bad image burn so left it.
Screen.jpg

Reply 1127 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:
Went round to the Mrs industrial unit where I store a lot of my computer stuff. Printing business next door is moving and had a […]
Show full quote

Went round to the Mrs industrial unit where I store a lot of my computer stuff. Printing business next door is moving and had a skip outside. What caught my interest right away was couple of PC cases and 2 large 21 inch CRT's. I thought about the CRT's, but apart from being so large one had paint or something spilt down the side and other was pretty beat up.
There was 3 PC cases, I thought I would I would just pull some parts and be done. In the end I grabbed 2 whole computers!

Both2.jpg

One on the left had this inside
AMD.jpg

AMD Slot A 650Mhz,
SDII Motherboard
I Will side-2930c SCSI card
Voodoo 2000 PCI
Apple branded internal Zip 100
Cool 3.5/5.25 combined floppy
Unkown amount of ram.
System powers up but that all the testing I did, The 40GB HDD was also in the skip, smashed with a hammer.

Looking forward to messing round with this. I always liked the cartridge style CPU's, and this gives me the opportunity to play on AMD's side of the fence.
the Voodoo 3 PCI is nice bonus as well, even if it just the 2000

2nd computer is a Power Mac 266MHz 32MB/6GB CD/Zip/AV
Pwr_Mac2.jpg
Sadly this will need more work. It's got no power supply so no idea if it works, shame as wouldn't mind a classic mac either.
I don't know much about mac's, looks like it wouldn't make a bad classic Mac either, the "personality card" seems to be the mid range one. I can upgrade the Video with a ATI PCI card and use standard VGA, but still need Apple keyboard and mouse. I just don't know if its worth it or If I should part it out and sell?
Here is the back view
Pwr_Mac1.jpg

I also grabbed a D2 external drive with a Yamaha 8x CD-RW, Havent looked to see if its SCSI or not

Finally down the road was this old IBM monitor sitting in the gutter (fly tipping is pretty bad round there) We had heavy rain the past few days and you can see is has pretty bad image burn so left it.
Screen.jpg

LMAO is that the Windows installer screen burned into it?

I would have searched the surrounding area for the PC it went to if I were you and not in a hurry

Reply 1128 of 4609, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would personally grab the monitor, it looks like plastics are OK and I know quite a lot of them with case shattered to pieces while fully working. It could make few bucks on ebay.

Reply 1129 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
krivulak wrote:

I would personally grab the monitor, it looks like plastics are OK and I know quite a lot of them with case shattered to pieces while fully working. It could make few bucks on ebay.

I'm not sure THAT monitor would be worth it. The burn in aside look at the label, It comes from a chemical factory/laboratory. There's a good chance it's been thrown out for a reason too as I'm sure it was likely part of a machinery control system and it would have been maintained as long as feasibly possible. Not to mention rust has likely began on the inside if not corrosion.

Its a good case of risk and trouble outweighing the benefits.

Reply 1130 of 4609, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

LMAO is that the Windows installer screen burned into it?

I would have searched the surrounding area for the PC it went to if I were you and not in a hurry

Thought the same thing, 2 dot matrix printers and just some general rubbish though.

krivulak wrote:

Maybe the case is worth something but the road is filthy with trucks passing from the gravel yard near by and then something like a months worth of rain over that weekend, and the fact the screen was actually On the road I would bet the thing blows up as soon as it gets near electricity.

Doubt I would make much money on the shell alone shipping costs But if anyone is near Woolwich I'll let you know where to find it!

Reply 1131 of 4609, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found another cupboard of stuff at work, no so old this time but useful none the less:

20170710_155709-2656x1494.jpg
Filename
20170710_155709-2656x1494.jpg
File size
690.57 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

- Adaptec 29160N
- Sapphire X1650 Pro AGP
- Quantum LTO-3 drive with unopened tapes and cleaning tape (slight upgrade from my DDS-3 drive)
- The Winn L. Rosch Hardware Bible: Third Edition
- Not pictured: buttload of SIMMs (30 and 72 pin), 3x Pentium 75, 2x unknown socket 3 chips (heatsink stuck on)

Edit: also, Toshiba Tecra 710CDT. I love these old Pentium-era Toshibas. Not only are the screens excellent quality (actually this one's a bit dim but at least it's active matrix), but the build quality is awesome, the batteries still hold charge and some have OPL3. Not sure if this one does yet - my other Tecra has a Crystal chipset which produces abominable emulation.

20170711_110915-2656x1494.jpg
Filename
20170711_110915-2656x1494.jpg
File size
536.03 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 1132 of 4609, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just scored an Apple IIe and a few Packard Bell boxes plus a pair of NOS Packard Bell speakers and a keyboard.

Also I should note it's not yellow at all, it's my damned lights. For some reason these early LED bulbs I bought years ago look yellow.
untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbfzj3o.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbfzuud.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1133 of 4609, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

Just scored an Apple IIe and a few Packard Bell boxes plus a pair of NOS Packard Bell speakers and a keyboard.

Also I should note it's not yellow at all, it's my damned lights. For some reason these early LED bulbs I bought years ago look yellow.

It's the color temperature of your bulbs. They're most likely 2700K bulbs which is more of a "Yellow" tint and designed to be for people that used incandescents for many years and are used to the yellowness.

They actually sell more "pure-white" LED bulbs that I prefer for everywhere in our house that are 5000K color temperature. Probably need to look for em for sale somewhere. I hate the yellowing too and only get 5000K bulbs for our house.

Reply 1134 of 4609, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Honestly I used to prefer the cozy warmth of the yellow ones but since I got on the internet I found out for photography they are awful. 🤣

Reply 1135 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:
Just scored an Apple IIe and a few Packard Bell boxes plus a pair of NOS Packard Bell speakers and a keyboard. […]
Show full quote

If your dumpster finds keep on like this pretty soon your dumpsters shall be spewing forth 5150s and Amigas.

Reply 1136 of 4609, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
King_Corduroy wrote:
Just scored an Apple IIe and a few Packard Bell boxes plus a pair of NOS Packard Bell speakers and a keyboard. […]
Show full quote

Who would throw away something like this? How could someone throw away something like this? I don't even..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1137 of 4609, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kithylin wrote:
King_Corduroy wrote:

It's the color temperature of your bulbs. They're most likely 2700K bulbs which is more of a "Yellow" tint and designed to be for people that used incandescents for many years and are used to the yellowness.

They actually sell more "pure-white" LED bulbs that I prefer for everywhere in our house that are 5000K color temperature. Probably need to look for em for sale somewhere. I hate the yellowing too and only get 5000K bulbs for our house.

There should be a lighting type setting on your camera.. even point and shoot cameras generally have those settings to correct the white balance.

And if you have a nicer camera that can shoot in RAW mode, you can very easily correct it it something like lightroom or pretty much any other photo editing software.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1138 of 4609, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
kithylin wrote:
King_Corduroy wrote:

There should be a lighting type setting on your camera.. even point and shoot cameras generally have those settings to correct the white balance.

And if you have a nicer camera that can shoot in RAW mode, you can very easily correct it it something like lightroom or pretty much any other photo editing software.

I have a white balance lens cap and my DSLR has a white balance sampling mode. Just snap it on the end of my lens, aim it into the light source and hit sample and it finds the correct white balance. Then everything I shoot under that light is perfect.

Reply 1139 of 4609, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well the real problem is that it was mixed light, I had low daylight coming in through nearby windows and the lights were LED so no matter what I did I just kind of wound up weird looking.