VOGONS

Reply 1140 of 4609, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brassicGamer wrote:

- Quantum LTO-3 drive with unopened tapes and cleaning tape (slight upgrade from my DDS-3 drive)

This is neat thing! Wish I had it someday... 😀

brassicGamer wrote:

Edit: also, Toshiba Tecra 710CDT. I love these old Pentium-era Toshibas. Not only are the screens excellent quality (actually this one's a bit dim but at least it's active matrix), but the build quality is awesome, the batteries still hold charge and some have OPL3. Not sure if this one does yet - my other Tecra has a Crystal chipset which produces abominable emulation.

This thing is AWESOME! Sadly the one I had died on me few days after I got it. It came with complete accessories - case, mouse, everything. Wish I could repair it somehow... 🙁

Reply 1141 of 4609, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
krivulak wrote:
brassicGamer wrote:

- Quantum LTO-3 drive with unopened tapes and cleaning tape (slight upgrade from my DDS-3 drive)

This is neat thing! Wish I had it someday... 😀

Sadly, it has some hardware problem, which I suspected (it's usually the case when a tape is still in the drive). I ran the full diagnostics and it always encounters write errors around 13GB. It's done it 3 times now. Back to DDS3 for me 🙁

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 1142 of 4609, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found this in the street recently. It was in surprisingly good condition - I picked it up and carried it home, but on the last few meters I managed to drop it and make a lot of scratches on the case 😖
Anyway It still powers on, posts, but gives a blue screen during windows loading. I haven't done anything else with it, but it might well be fully functional once I install a new OS.

It's a Lenovo Thinkcentre, Core2 Duo E8400, 4gb RAM, w/ Windows Vista license. I am not familiar with these OEM systems but It looks like a typical office machine.

21cQXKql.jpg?1

Yh90hS1l.jpg?1

LaB0iHHl.jpg?2

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 1143 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MMaximus wrote:
Found this in the street recently. It was in surprisingly good condition - I picked it up and carried it home, but on the last f […]
Show full quote

Found this in the street recently. It was in surprisingly good condition - I picked it up and carried it home, but on the last few meters I managed to drop it and make a lot of scratches on the case 😖
Anyway It still powers on, posts, but gives a blue screen during windows loading. I haven't done anything else with it, but it might well be fully functional once I install a new OS.

It's a Lenovo Thinkcentre, Core2 Duo E8400, 4gb RAM, w/ Windows Vista license. I am not familiar with these OEM systems but It looks like a typical office machine.

21cQXKql.jpg?1

Yh90hS1l.jpg?1

LaB0iHHl.jpg?2

Schools bought those by the hundreds. Not bad actually as IIRC they have full height expansion slots and most support quad cores.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1144 of 4609, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I deployed the shit out of those a few years ago. Popular business config.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 1145 of 4609, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Going through some addenda to the big haul. I'll be posting here a fair bit...

First up, a couple handy GeForce cards! Haven't tested them yet. Just about everything else has worked fine though.

01-geforce.jpg
Filename
01-geforce.jpg
File size
257.8 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
02-geforce.jpg
Filename
02-geforce.jpg
File size
191.66 KiB
Views
File license

A GTX280 1GB and an 8800GTS 512MB (why the hell do they make these model numbers so meaningless & confusing?)

The only PC I have running with a GeForce right now already has a 9800GTS so not sure if it's worth tearing apart to upgrade. I could replace the Radeon HD4670 I have in a different one but that involves taking it out of its rack. 😜

Secondly a Core 2 Quad ... manual and sticker. Well, the sticker can go on the machine that I just upgraded to a C2Q, which I bought somewhere else entirely.

03-quad.jpg
Filename
03-quad.jpg
File size
156.2 KiB
Views
File license
04-quad.jpg
Filename
04-quad.jpg
File size
165.38 KiB
Views
File license

Incidentally this is a Dell Vostro minitower, it seems the majority of these that shipped with a Core2 Duo got a motherboard that can't handle a Quad, but I lucked out and mine got a revised version that can. Works great! (This is the same machine with the 9800GTS.)

05-quad.jpg
Filename
05-quad.jpg
File size
170.32 KiB
Views
File license

I set this one up specifically to play Prince of Persia 2008 on, which was originally written for the PS3 and is fully multi-threaded, reportedly taking advantage of up to 6 cores. I actually noticed a small improvement in smoothness despite going from a 3GHz C2D to a 2.5GHz C2Q. The overall framerate hasn't changed but the occasional jitter or hop that was present on the Duo is no longer there. Not bad.

(I bought the C2Q itself for $10, which is the most I've paid for a CPU in years.)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1146 of 4609, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:
Going through some addenda to the big haul. I'll be posting here a fair bit... […]
Show full quote

Going through some addenda to the big haul. I'll be posting here a fair bit...

First up, a couple handy GeForce cards! Haven't tested them yet. Just about everything else has worked fine though.

01-geforce.jpg
02-geforce.jpg

A GTX280 1GB and an 8800GTS 512MB (why the hell do they make these model numbers so meaningless & confusing?)

The only PC I have running with a GeForce right now already has a 9800GTS so not sure if it's worth tearing apart to upgrade. I could replace the Radeon HD4670 I have in a different one but that involves taking it out of its rack. 😜

Secondly a Core 2 Quad ... manual and sticker. Well, the sticker can go on the machine that I just upgraded to a C2Q, which I bought somewhere else entirely.

03-quad.jpg
04-quad.jpg

Incidentally this is a Dell Vostro minitower, it seems the majority of these that shipped with a Core2 Duo got a motherboard that can't handle a Quad, but I lucked out and mine got a revised version that can. Works great! (This is the same machine with the 9800GTS.)

05-quad.jpg

I set this one up specifically to play Prince of Persia 2008 on, which was originally written for the PS3 and is fully multi-threaded, reportedly taking advantage of up to 6 cores. I actually noticed a small improvement in smoothness despite going from a 3GHz C2D to a 2.5GHz C2Q. The overall framerate hasn't changed but the occasional jitter or hop that was present on the Duo is no longer there. Not bad.

(I bought the C2Q itself for $10, which is the most I've paid for a CPU in years.)

I'm pretty sure a 9800 GTS doesn't exist. Only 9800 GT, 9800 GTX and 9800 GTX+

8800 GTS 512 (G92) is faster than 8800 GTX (G80) and the older
8800 GTS 320/640 MB (G80), compared to the 9000 series, is slightly below the 9800 GTX (sightly improved 8800 GTS 512) and faster than the 9800 GT

The GTX 280 was a old flagship on the GTX 200 series (untill it got superseded by the GTX 285 and then the GTX 480), unlike the 9800 series, it was a new arch and it outperforms the 9800 series considerably

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 1147 of 4609, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Carlos S. M. wrote:

I'm pretty sure a 9800 GTS doesn't exist. Only 9800 GT, 9800 GTX and 9800 GTX+

xjas wrote:

(why the hell do they make these model numbers so meaningless & confusing?)

Carlos S. M. wrote:

8800 GTS 512 (G92) is faster than 8800 GTX (G80) and the older
8800 GTS 320/640 MB (G80), compared to the 9000 series, is slightly below the 9800 GTX (sightly improved 8800 GTS 512) and faster than the 9800 GT

The GTX 280 was a old flagship on the GTX 200 series (untill it got superseded by the GTX 285 and then the GTX 480), unlike the 9800 series, it was a new arch and it outperforms the 9800 series considerably

Noted. To be honest, the only way I had any idea which one was most recent was going by the amount of RAM.

Someone should make a timeline for GeForce & Radeon cards with how new the card is on the X axis and how far up the range it was on the Y axis, for those of us who like to browse the used ads but have no idea what we're looking at. 😜

(Just checked - it's actually a 9800 GTX in the Core 2 Quad system.)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1148 of 4609, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Allright, next up is this grubby but complete HP XW6000 workstation:

10-hp.jpg
Filename
10-hp.jpg
File size
254.1 KiB
Views
File license

This case is kind of interesting, it can be converted from tower to desktop by rotating the drive bays 90 degrees. It’s also a lot smaller than it looks (thinner and shorter than your typical P4 beige box) and a ton heavier. I’d guess it at a good 15kg.

I got all excited when I saw it was a dual-Xeon setup, but they’re Netburst-based Xeons and I already have one of those (that I’ve barely even powered on since I built it.) This has either two 2.4 or 2.66 GHz CPUs with hyperthreading so pretty close to what’s in my PC-DL based one.

11-hp.jpg
Filename
11-hp.jpg
File size
288.34 KiB
Views
File license

Its 36GB SCSI HDD reportedly doesn’t spin up, but it does have some cool hardware inside, like 4GB of ECC DDR1 and an AGP GeForce 7600GT with 512MB. Unfortunately

12-hp.jpg
Filename
12-hp.jpg
File size
222.44 KiB
Views
File license
13-hp.jpg
Filename
13-hp.jpg
File size
237.33 KiB
Views
File license

…it is absolutely rotten with bulging caps. All over the motherboard and the VGA card. I think this one’s going back in the bin, after I strip it of anything useful.

16-hp.jpg
Filename
16-hp.jpg
File size
143.85 KiB
Views
File license

Yep.

Reply 1149 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:
Allright, next up is this grubby but complete HP XW6000 workstation: […]
Show full quote

Allright, next up is this grubby but complete HP XW6000 workstation:

10-hp.jpg

This case is kind of interesting, it can be converted from tower to desktop by rotating the drive bays 90 degrees. It’s also a lot smaller than it looks (thinner and shorter than your typical P4 beige box) and a ton heavier. I’d guess it at a good 15kg.

I got all excited when I saw it was a dual-Xeon setup, but they’re Netburst-based Xeons and I already have one of those (that I’ve barely even powered on since I built it.) This has either two 2.4 or 2.66 GHz CPUs with hyperthreading so pretty close to what’s in my PC-DL based one.

11-hp.jpg

Its 36GB SCSI HDD reportedly doesn’t spin up, but it does have some cool hardware inside, like 4GB of ECC DDR1 and an AGP GeForce 7600GT with 512MB. Unfortunately

12-hp.jpg
13-hp.jpg

…it is absolutely rotten with bulging caps. All over the motherboard and the VGA card. I think this one’s going back in the bin, after I strip it of anything useful.

16-hp.jpg

Yep.

If it powers up why not just keep it around until it implodes in on yourself?

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1150 of 4609, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
15-hp.jpg
Filename
15-hp.jpg
File size
194.6 KiB
Views
File license

Incidentally here's the RAM from the Xeon. Never seen that double-stacked configuration of chips before. Guessing these were pretty early 1GB modules, I don't remember them being all that common in the DDR1 era.

Next one I pulled out was this Asus P5K-V based machine in a nice looking (and way lighter) jobber case.

17-quad2.jpg
Filename
17-quad2.jpg
File size
189.34 KiB
Views
File license

Nothing too esoteric but it's a Core 2 Quad with 6 GB of RAM. Is it just me or is this insane? Why would you throw this out??

18-quad2.jpg
Filename
18-quad2.jpg
File size
169.24 KiB
Views
File license

I was so excited to get a C2Q CPU for $10 earlier and then I get this whole machine for free. Figures. 😜

19-quad2.jpg
Filename
19-quad2.jpg
File size
217.54 KiB
Views
File license

It's complete (I have the side panels too) but pretty disassembled, even down to the heat sink being loose. I have no idea how that monster fan sitting in there was originally mounted.

The video card is a passively-cooled "short" GeForce 8500GT with 512MB, always useful. Seems I've gone from having zero modern GeForce cards to a small library of them in just a few weeks.

And of course, the last thing I snagged in this haul was another goddam Kinesis keyboard, this one mint in box. I'm actually starting to get good at typing on these things so a second one is nice to have.

20-kinesis.jpg
Filename
20-kinesis.jpg
File size
178.07 KiB
Views
File license
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

If it powers up why not just keep it around until it implodes in on yourself?

You can't see it in the photos (because I already vacuumed it :p) but it's really disgusting. NO desire to go on a massive resto project with this one. The case is also pretty banged up, panels don't fit together anymore, etc. It's a parts donor at this point.

Reply 1151 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Someone gave me a computer and brought this to my house. Since this was for free and was gifted, I think it fits better here then in the "What retro hardware did you buy"-thread.

When I saw it, I cheered! 😁

5017case1.jpg
Filename
5017case1.jpg
File size
1.34 MiB
Views
File license

Yes it is! 😁

5017case2.jpg
Filename
5017case2.jpg
File size
1.6 MiB
Views
File license

With key! 😁
Gotten an AT system in 2017! And except for being a complete AT system (which is a time capsule in its own right), the internals were basically totally non-interesting! 😁 Unbelievable! I never expected this, so I was pleasantly surprised!
VX Pro with as of yet unknown Pentium due to the underside having like 3 "warranty" or brand stickers 🤣, 2x16MB + 2x8MB, Trio64 (with empty memory sockets), no harddrive and one PCI card seems to have been removed. 16x CDROM, of course a modem, it did have a sound card which was kinda "meh" at first, I haven't taken it apart yet so I don't know the details yet.

But come on, an AT system gifted and delivered to one's doorstep for €0.00, that's gotta be worth for something 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1152 of 4609, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Tetrium -- congrats! That's really cool. Do share more details when you have time.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1153 of 4609, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Gotten an AT system in 2017! And except for being a complete AT system (which is a time capsule in its own right), the internals were basically totally non-interesting! 😁 Unbelievable! I never expected this, so I was pleasantly surprised!

Yeah the later AT cases for Pentium systems were much less interesting than those from the 486 and 386 era, mostly as they lack the numeric LED display, but an AT case is an AT case, especially if the PSU works. 😀

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 1154 of 4609, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Congrats Tetrium. Mine isn't exactly a dumpster find but I got a mystery AT system on a whim a few days ago, for $10 shipping inc. It's an Acer with a strange AT case (2 PS2 ports instead of AT connector, floppy drive at the top of the front panel etc.). I was hoping it would be an older Pentium (I knew the board was a Socket 7) but it turned out to be a 166MMX as well. The high points for me were discovering that it had a ceramic MMX CPU (I have none, so it will get replaced with a PPGA MMX) and a Yamaha OPL3 ISA sound card (which I will grab and replace with an ALS or ESS sound card). I will likely clean it, wipe the hard drive, install DOS/Win3.11, test and sell it off. AT cases are nice but I am running out of room for cases and systems..

I will maybe also make some OPL3 recordings of ESS first though..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1155 of 4609, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

If your dumpster finds keep on like this pretty soon your dumpsters shall be spewing forth 5150s and Amigas.

Not an Amiga but I found these. 🤣

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbgye17.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbgye2w.jpg

There was also a bunch of Xboxes and a printer for the commodore but I didn't grab those cause I really don't need another dot matrix printer and honestly who likes the Xbox? 🤣

As for 5150's I pulled something very broken but much more rare out not too long ago (Think it was last year?):

IBM 3270!

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-daigusa.jpg

Didn't work and I don't have it anymore as a result since honestly it was such a HUGE hunk of iron to hang onto and I have very limited space.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1156 of 4609, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
King_Corduroy wrote:

who likes the Xbox? 🤣

Me! Chuck on XBMC and makes a good media centre as long as you don't want HD.
or the 8GB IDE drives are useful for older PC's
But openly admit rest of your finds are much more interesting

Reply 1157 of 4609, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:
Me! Chuck on XBMC and makes a good media centre as long as you don't want HD. or the 8GB IDE drives are useful for older PC's Bu […]
Show full quote
King_Corduroy wrote:

who likes the Xbox? 🤣

Me! Chuck on XBMC and makes a good media centre as long as you don't want HD.
or the 8GB IDE drives are useful for older PC's
But openly admit rest of your finds are much more interesting

Not just that, it's a great emulation machine. Although now we have better solutions they cost money compared to free xboxes.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 1158 of 4609, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Co-worker was cleaning out his office, and this was behind some books on his bookshelf. Thats a good spot to put a laptop! Complete with proprietary power brick! I snatched it up pretty quick when he was disgusted with the age of the thing.

Looking up the model and part it was supposed to be a 900MHz PIII with 1GB RAM and 20GB HDD, with Rage 128 Pro (8MB) and ESS Maestro. But, turning it on revealed something different... a P4 with 512MB RAM, 30GB HDD and Radeon 7500 (16MB). Not a bad machine I suppose but the thing that always holds laptops back from being good retro gaming rigs (in my opinion) is the relatively crappy video chip.

Attachments

• 20170720_151220.jpg
    Filename
    20170720_151220.jpg
    File size
    1.77 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170720_150841.jpg
    Filename
    20170720_150841.jpg
    File size
    1.52 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1159 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RJDog wrote:

Co-worker was cleaning out his office, and this was behind some books on his bookshelf. Thats a good spot to put a laptop! Complete with proprietary power brick! I snatched it up pretty quick when he was disgusted with the age of the thing.

Looking up the model and part it was supposed to be a 900MHz PIII with 1GB RAM and 20GB HDD, with Rage 128 Pro (8MB) and ESS Maestro. But, turning it on revealed something different... a P4 with 512MB RAM, 30GB HDD and Radeon 7500 (16MB). Not a bad machine I suppose but the thing that always holds laptops back from being good retro gaming rigs (in my opinion) is the relatively crappy video chip.

The Radeon 7500 was the flagship for ATIs mobility line at the time. Make no mistake it's a good GPU. I played Battlefield 1942 near max @1024 on one a couple of years back.