VOGONS

Reply 2020 of 4586, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorting through the rest of the stuff in that load that contained the Castlewood Orb. I was too quick to dismiss the GPUs a "some TNT2 M64/Gf2MX cards":

- yes, one of them is a TNT2 M64, but it's a nice little PCI version by XFX.
- the other TNT2 is 'full' TNT2, and one with a Packard Bell/NEC part number, which always makes me feel warm & fuzzy inside.
- third isn't a Gf4MX, but an OEM version of the MSI MS-8851, i.e. a Gf3Ti200. Never had a Gf3 before, and this one looks pristine 😀

Nothing in the Voodoo5/FuryMaxx - category, but actually worth testing and potentially keeping myself rather than dumping in the 'sell this crap untested in a big lot' box.

Reply 2021 of 4586, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dog wrote:

Part of my concern is I remember Beyond Good and Evil had compatibility problems with dual core processors and did not support 98. This is making me feel like there is a void between early XP and late 98 and I'm finding myself in analysis paralysis.

Beyond Good and Evil supports 98SE/ME/2000/XP

Reply 2022 of 4586, by Madc0w

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

kTqpznpGVrRDVLt56KlEBsmSqZTg_txUj6nWfjOwcDnWQRL19Im9sc9ehTEeLN_z7EB2LtnekJUNCHx7nBBomNuh9K5dAgIOkXqxcLJKKWszRTGIWPOj9rgRtiqJ_roKXJPeYlzCxRS03a8kjpOzixoZyzfgCnYXglIZdc829RLFA7S2o8e0ASu-P_N-1Sd5yeCbP29pNEO6Zr4R2hoaJPxq3gxk5NffeBqioEBSPpenm29Rwey05uxYIYw5spa3VNFKrswuV0zsTP7M8Vp8dVf7bv9cd97CwZe3dQbgdFCRCvx2PlxJ3g2cPhvfMO0Aw-rFG3blBWrHnTUU4Bz2ICE9V6ysLJUOqmkIPDvxcpLw37aHoZKKsk6XWRC4s_4gti9O8XVJ39zXBYpVdgX8JX2ZOk0P8YcksbhvSv_tagHBEFYSf4fdMaDdn1_NdwOgVPwJ_wPO78ZZnZE-ttwTMpB3J7vgP9P_0DaPTvcBTiJqjtQTv4L-shYrT_Kk8fqSc1x94uvkSD3BBzjKgrdg1lbOEwII5pSm-Krdfuw1rpMSXU1-WUsrq_JSWtxRW7I1BQTwNuah1-0UARP0kV-IG7w2i07SSTDdhv2t3_q5LluQpq6BmRMzfF4COv3QRhEH39N9bB_z5Gn6EUcnTusNPJmD2U4GCNAJIJqbCiL38NMmKONjNyVShzsP=w548-h975-no

Saved this from the recycling pile at FreeGeek today. Complete with a Soundblaster live and an unknown AGP Graphics card. Also got a PCI Sata Raid controller, not sure how useful its going to be, but I figure I might as well try it out.

Reply 2023 of 4586, by Dog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shagittarius wrote:
Dog wrote:

Part of my concern is I remember Beyond Good and Evil had compatibility problems with dual core processors and did not support 98. This is making me feel like there is a void between early XP and late 98 and I'm finding myself in analysis paralysis.

Beyond Good and Evil supports 98SE/ME/2000/XP

I believe you are right. Initially I was looking at http://gamesystemrequirements.com/game/beyond-good-and-evil which explicitly says 2000/XP only. I tried to dig deeper and it looks like it does support 98. They seem to have copied steam, which lists the minimum requirements as 2000/XP. I guess I need to be a bit more careful. Thanks!

Last edited by Dog on 2018-09-02, 10:21. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2024 of 4586, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vegge wrote:

Got the chance to pick up some stuff that was going to the dumpster.

Small 386 machine

IMG_0550s.jpg

That's an AWESOME compact early-'90s gaming machine you have there. I've got one too!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 2025 of 4586, by McBierle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Diddn't find this in a dumpster, i got it from a colleague. He worked since 1995 at that location and before at a different place for the same "corporation". Just for fun i asked him if his division had any old stuff the won't need anymore and oh wonder they (he) had...
We looked at some stuff and i got this box:

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
556.8 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I noticed many multi i/o cards but we'll see. Those boxes are filled by more than one cards... By the way, everything unused, never seen a slot.
(Sadly) We are going on vacation tomorrow so i'm not able to look it all over, but i have to show the ingredients of one box:

2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
790.13 KiB
Views
File license

Something has to be done with theese boards. 😀

3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
841.5 KiB
Views
File license
4.jpg
Filename
4.jpg
File size
536.37 KiB
Views
File license
5.jpg
Filename
5.jpg
File size
477 KiB
Views
File license

Never seen this stuff. Vga/Multi i/o-Card. Something abaout 10mhz bus speed is mentioned. The Card itself is marked with "Made in W. Germany"...

After the vacation i will look at all the rest. And i will talk with my colleague again. He showed me an unused DX4-100 (Texas Instruments) some RAM and at least one super socket 7 board.
Lets see...

greetings

Reply 2026 of 4586, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's today's haul - an AT keyboard, a couple PS/2 optical mice (always handy), a DEC PS/2 ball mouse, and this beastly piece of kit:

CameraZOOM-20180907183931813.jpg
Filename
File size
199.89 KiB
Views
File license

...No, it's not a 5150, it's a knockoff case, but in fantastic shape & really well constructed. Nice, solid, painted metal box.

CameraZOOM-20180907183946356.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20180907183946356.jpg
File size
169.19 KiB
Views
File license
CameraZOOM-20180907184009788.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20180907184009788.jpg
File size
172.31 KiB
Views
File license

Unfortunately it's also empty (aside from a big old PSU), but it's pretty complete & even came with some faceplates and mounting hardware.

CameraZOOM-20180907184214951.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20180907184214951.jpg
File size
197.72 KiB
Views
File license
CameraZOOM-20180907184908799.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20180907184908799.jpg
File size
127.09 KiB
Views
File license

I'm honestly tempted to put something modern in this and sit it on my desk. There'd be more than enough room for ATX-style I/O if I fitted a new PSU, and aside from the drive mounts it's a blank slate inside. Fill the front panel up with a black optical drive & card reader bay and it'd look pretty sweet.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2027 of 4586, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"IDM" 🤣

P6 chip. Triple the speed of the Pentium.
Tualatin: PIII-S @ 1628MHz | QDI Advance 12T | 2GB DDR-310 | 6800GT | X-Fi | 500GB HDD | 3DMark01: 14,059
Dothan: PM @ 2.9GHz | MSI Speedster FA4 | 2GB DDR2-580 | GTX 750Ti | X-Fi | 500GB SSD | 3DMark01: 43,190

Reply 2029 of 4586, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Or make it a "retro sleeper" : find some AT slot 1/socket 370 mobo and make it a window 9x powerhouse

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2030 of 4586, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My new Monitor 😐 IBM 8503 Monochrome Display

IMG_0160r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0160r.jpg
File size
698.58 KiB
Views
File license

Saw it on the street for garbage collection very close to me. "I dont need further monitors". Walked home. But an IBM? Its going to be dumped if I dont do anything! Came back with my car 2 hours later and was still there 😐

So after some cleaning it looks quite good without scartches on the screen. But I like to take a look inside before turning on. Thats where I am stuck
Its a "tamperproof" Torx T-20 screws with center pins. The Torx driver must have a long, slender shaft (preferably magnetic) to reach the screw heads.

Dont have it...must wait.

Reply 2031 of 4586, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This weekend is giveway (or free) weekend in my city. I wasn't planning to even grab anything (especially since it's been raining all day), but happened to drive by this.

I was going to pass, but the 2x Mistumi CD-ROM had me curious.

o7e12xgl.jpgWphkmckl.jpg

And it's a socket 7 ATX board! Seems to be a pretty low end build from the time. The power supply was already unplugged, so I'm assuming it's garbage (plus it's pretty nasty...and wet)

RYzKol0l.jpg?1
DOS5qgCl.jpg

Case is getting recycled (it was covered in wet ciagerrete encrusted dust), but the rest will stay.

Stuff to keep:
- ECS (or PCChips at that time?) P5XV3 Motherbard
- K6-2/300 CPU
- 128mb (2x64) PC66 or 100
- ATI Rage
- SB Vibra16
- Generic D-Link NIC (the kind the cable company used to install)
- Fujitsu 3gb HDD
- Mistumi 2x CD-ROM (dated 1994, clearly from their old system)

Reply 2032 of 4586, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"P5XV3" returns me DFI motherboard on google, this has nothing to do with PCChips' crap ^^ (And the mobo doesn't look that bad)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2033 of 4586, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
probnot wrote:

... The power supply was already unplugged, so I'm assuming it's garbage (plus it's pretty nasty...and wet)

You would be correct... L&C is one of Deer's brand names. Just about the lowest one could go with a PSU.

Reply 2034 of 4586, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:

"P5XV3" returns me DFI motherboard on google, this has nothing to do with PCChips' crap ^^ (And the mobo doesn't look that bad)

Sweet! I just assumed it was ECS/PCChips/whatever because that's what all beige systems around here used (and the model# sounded like an ECS model).

SW-SSG wrote:
probnot wrote:

... The power supply was already unplugged, so I'm assuming it's garbage (plus it's pretty nasty...and wet)

You would be correct... L&C is one of Deer's brand names. Just about the lowest one could go with a PSU.

That's more in line with the beige systems I normally see. Cheapest power supply they could find.

Reply 2035 of 4586, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:

Here's today's haul - an AT keyboard, a couple PS/2 optical mice (always handy), a DEC PS/2 ball mouse, and this beastly piece of kit:

I'm honestly tempted to put something modern in this and sit it on my desk. There'd be more than enough room for ATX-style I/O if I fitted a new PSU, and aside from the drive mounts it's a blank slate inside. Fill the front panel up with a black optical drive & card reader bay and it'd look pretty sweet.

That thing is awesome! I love those old style cases the best and would absolutely use it as a modern case if it didn't require I destroyed anything. 😀

Reply 2036 of 4586, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
probnot wrote:
This weekend is giveway (or free) weekend in my city. I wasn't planning to even grab anything (especially since it's been rainin […]
Show full quote

This weekend is giveway (or free) weekend in my city. I wasn't planning to even grab anything (especially since it's been raining all day), but happened to drive by this.

I was going to pass, but the 2x Mistumi CD-ROM had me curious.

o7e12xgl.jpgWphkmckl.jpg

And it's a socket 7 ATX board! Seems to be a pretty low end build from the time. The power supply was already unplugged, so I'm assuming it's garbage (plus it's pretty nasty...and wet)

RYzKol0l.jpg?1
DOS5qgCl.jpg

Case is getting recycled (it was covered in wet ciagerrete encrusted dust), but the rest will stay.

Keep the case.

Put some 70% rubbing alchohol in a spray bottle and spray the case down and the cigarette dust should come right off.. after removing everything of course.

You may also want to take the front bezel off of the case so you can clean everything really well.

If it still smells, use some fabreeze on it and it should take care of it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2037 of 4586, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
probnot wrote:

I will kill you if you recycle that case (not really). Do you know how badly I've wanted a beige ATX case? I bet I could clean that case even if it takes me hours or even days to do so.

Standard Def Steve wrote:

"IDM" 🤣

That reminded me of vcamnowaa's IDM Turbo Research T286, which, despite its name, was actually not a 286, but rather a 486 (it was running Windows 95 and he managed to kill it by inserting the CPU upside-down).

Reply 2038 of 4586, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@KCompRoom2000

You can do better on beige atx cases. Coincidentally, that looks a lot like case LGR painted a week or so ago...

Edit: damn mobile autocorrect

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2039 of 4586, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
Keep the case. […]
Show full quote

Keep the case.

Put some 70% rubbing alchohol in a spray bottle and spray the case down and the cigarette dust should come right off.. after removing everything of course.

You may also want to take the front bezel off of the case so you can clean everything really well.

If it still smells, use some fabreeze on it and it should take care of it.

KCompRoom2000 wrote:

I will kill you if you recycle that case (not really). Do you know how badly I've wanted a beige ATX case? I bet I could clean that case even if it takes me hours or even days to do so.

I have too many cases already. Found a good home for it, so it's not getting recycled, no worries on that!

Also, it's pretty generic and cheap (super sharp sheet metal and pain in the butt to get at the screws, etc.)